• You cannot reply to this topic

Why is Smart Parts the DEVIL? ive only heard a few bits and pieces

#1 User is offline   chuch 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:chuch

Posted 12 September 2007 - 11:20 AM

im aware that this has been discussed on here somwhere before, but i looked and couldnt find, so if you could direct me to a thread that will answer my questions, it would be appreciated. if not....enlighten me

yeah so, im aware that smartparts was suing everybody way back when or somthing and agd took a big hit from it and i heard that they also sued some other smaller companies as well. but i dont quite know the whole story and who all was involved and i would like to find out more about it all.

thanks

chuch
even IF you can dodge a wrench, you still cant dodge my paintball

Blackcell Stock and Body, Masks, Tanks N2/Co2 , Barrels,

chuch's feedback

#2 User is offline   Steed 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 September 2007 - 11:43 AM

OK search for SP (Smart Parts) Lawsuits, we've gone into this more then any other round here and it's a long story that no offense I don't have the time retype, but if you search I promise it IS out there afew times, cross reference my name, that might help too.

#3 User is offline   DvS21 

• Duct Tape; saving lives since 1942
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Raiden21

Posted 12 September 2007 - 11:48 AM

wow this sucks, look it up online somewhere else. I got my thread closed when I did this and puzuma yelled at me and said that he expected more form an elite member... right.

PBN Feedback AO Feedback SOP Feedback
"We could do a raffle, I've got some random bowling trophies somewhere. Everyone needs a bowling trophy." - DigitalPirate
"No, Puzuma, please tea bag me for free......actually....after that statement....I don't even care"- Deuce
"So what? She had sex in your bed... Somebody had to, and obviously you dropped the ball..." - Jones

#4 User is offline   aqua_scummm 

• one half of the wonder that is legaqua
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:aqua_scummm

Posted 12 September 2007 - 11:49 AM

The had PVI make a new marker for them, the Shocker. They then later bought out PVI and the rights to teh shocker. Before they even appeared as a company, electronic markers were in development, and they borrowed some ideas. Before SP, companies shared new ideas for everyone to make the sport better (things like powerfeeds, pinvalves, blowforward, blowback, sheridan, and nelson designs, removable barrels, etv weren't patented). These were all things companies were aware they could have made their own and made a lot of royalites off of, but for safety, or improving the sport, or whatever, they never did.

Smart Parts changed all this by suing AKA and ICD, two electro makers. SP had gotten the patent to all electronic paintball markers through some stuff that was "gray area" at best in terms of legality, even though they didn't invent it. They basically extended the patent of their shocker to include all electronics in paintball guns, regardless of what the electronicsdo.

They then shut AKA off from ever making an electronic marker again (and they were the best available), and ICD had to pay a ton of money.

They also blatantly lie about things (seal forward technology? Now all of a sudden on SP guns the bolt seals off the breech? That's what it does on every other marker in the world, but they claim it's a recent invention), trademarked the words "pwn" and some other internet-speak words, they blatantly over-hype guns.

They were also the first company to support cheating, and put the first cheater boards into their shockers (I think it was shockers, and I think it was an NPPL match). They basically created teh first "ramping" in a one trigger pull=one shot tournament, then blamed the florescent lights, then later admitted to it, but said each electronic trigger (or switch) caused one ball to be fired, even if the user's finger trigger didn't, which was complete BS, they knew what they were doing.

All fun things SP does to make money.

Also, their customer service sucks complete butt

This post has been edited by aqua_scummm: 12 September 2007 - 11:54 AM

#5 User is offline   Steed 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 September 2007 - 11:52 AM

Smart Part = Marketing Powerhouse but crap product, when you find my other stories about SP on here post HERE not there, don't necro.

#6 User is offline   Ravenlord 

• I am heavy weapons guy!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:RAVENLORD

Posted 12 September 2007 - 11:58 AM

I just don't like them because everything but their barrel condoms suck, and then new ones of them suck.

That and they ruined the ability to buy a cheap electro marker. I want to patent the Words Smart Parts. But then I found out they were way ahead of me so I'm just going to patent the word shocker used in paintball so they have to make up a name thus nulling their patent.
Funny Signatures Involve Effort, and I am lazy.
Automaggot #74
Team Vinidication

#7 User is offline   Chibbs 

• Team Voodoo
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Chibbs

Posted 12 September 2007 - 12:01 PM

most people i see hating smart parts hate them because other people hate them, given some people have legit reason, i have talked to several and i respect those who do have legit reasons

although like i said most people hate them because they have fanboy syndrome, they go along with what they read and stick to it like lemmings running off a cliff, those people drive me nuts, those are the people who, every time a SP thread pops up they post all over it "SP SUCKS, blah blah blah devil, blah blah blah ruins paintball"

the best thing i can say is learn from your own experiences

Proudly Sponsored by and Affiliated with: Smart Parts l Player Paintball l Bonusball King l Hater Paintball l Voodoo Paintball l EMR Paintball Park l Dark Ops Paintball
l A+ Anodizing l HAH DIGITAL l Fogtech l "Paintball is the Voodoo, that we do, so well." l Information on Poison Ivy

#8 User is offline   Z3R0 

• Spontaneous Hate Machine
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Z3R0 (Sledgehammer)

Posted 12 September 2007 - 12:07 PM

I don't like them because of their business practices, and I don't particularly like many of their products (not a fan of their one piece barrels, or the Ion). Also because (from what I understand) they were the ones that stopped E-Mag production, which sucks, because I would love to have an E-Mag - now the market is limited to used or custom made.

-Z3R0
Posted Image
Lapco Grey Ghost 2008, Classic Automag, PM8, 06 Cyborg

#9 User is offline   Steed 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 September 2007 - 12:12 PM

Chibbs with all love and respect man, Tool much? :P LOL j/k man but your are sponsored by SP, lol we already kind of know your position on them :ghillie: I base my loathing off what thay've done to the market and industry, some of the guys that work there are cool and all but the business as a whole is well a hole.

No offence minded by the tool comment but TOOL!!! lol, its cool though you support them, I don't, no hardies.

This post has been edited by Steed: 12 September 2007 - 12:12 PM

#10 User is offline   Warwitch 

• Unconventional
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 September 2007 - 12:23 PM

View PostChibbs, on Sep 12 2007, 03:01 PM, said:

most people i see hating smart parts hate them because other people hate them, given some people have legit reason, i have talked to several and i respect those who do have legit reasons

although like i said most people hate them because they have fanboy syndrome, they go along with what they read and stick to it like lemmings running off a cliff, those people drive me nuts, those are the people who, every time a SP thread pops up they post all over it "SP SUCKS, blah blah blah devil, blah blah blah ruins paintball"

the best thing i can say is learn from your own experiences

I will never buy a SP product, EVER! They stifle competition and cause stagnation in the development of new products. And since they are single handedly responsible for AKA not producing markers anymore, they can all burn in Hades for eternity.
When "pretty good" just isn't good enough...

#11 User is offline   Chibbs 

• Team Voodoo
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 September 2007 - 12:58 PM

View PostSteed, on Sep 12 2007, 03:12 PM, said:

Chibbs with all love and respect man, Tool much? :ninja: LOL j/k man but your are sponsored by SP, lol we already kind of know your position on them :laugh: I base my loathing off what thay've done to the market and industry, some of the guys that work there are cool and all but the business as a whole is well a hole.

No offence minded by the tool comment but TOOL!!! lol, its cool though you support them, I don't, no hardies.

I never said I liked them, I figured that would be obvious, I know no one here believes me when I say speak good about their product because they just say "your sponsored of course you'll say that," and your right, I wont talk bad about a product or company I'm sponsored by. If I don't like them I just wont say anything about them, I have said this before every time someone uses the "your sponsored you have to like them comment" I just find it a bogus reason to disregard what I said. We pursued Smart Parts for a sponsorship because many people on the team have used SP products for years and LOVE them. We could have probably gone with other companies but we chose Smart Parts.

Its the same as if you came into a thread supporting Black Cat, if someone says "Black Cat events aren't run well and have no game plot" (I'm not saying that just using it as an example) you would come in and say with your experience what you know of Black Cat events. I would hope the people reading that thread would take your experience and comments seriously and not say "well your sponsored you have to say that" and then not go to an event based on what the original person said.

With that said, again, in my post I never said anything about their product being good or anything along those lines, I just pointed out many people who dislike SP hate them because of Bandwagon, prob 98% people hate them because they "destroyed AKA" or AGD or any of the other companies but simple fact is most of them would have never owned any of their products, hell if you track most the post of the people who bash SP have never used an electro, use Tippmann A5s, guillies and run around calling themselves "snipers."

Now again with all that said I shoot an automag as my backup gun behind my Nerve

Proudly Sponsored by and Affiliated with: Smart Parts l Player Paintball l Bonusball King l Hater Paintball l Voodoo Paintball l EMR Paintball Park l Dark Ops Paintball
l A+ Anodizing l HAH DIGITAL l Fogtech l "Paintball is the Voodoo, that we do, so well." l Information on Poison Ivy

#12 User is offline   Steed 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 September 2007 - 01:20 PM

I don't blame SP for attacking AKA or AGD, frankly the Viking is over rated anyway people just like them becuase they are the anti-sp marker. I don't like them for the position that the market now sits in. But that's politics and I hate the political bs.
But yeah I know I was just raging on you for being sponsored.

#13 User is offline   aqua_scummm 

• one half of the wonder that is legaqua
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:aqua_scummm

Posted 12 September 2007 - 01:27 PM

04 vikings still outperform soo much of todays latest and greatest tech

I like excals more, even though they're a bit slower

#14 User is offline   ^!) 

• ...for tomorrow we die.
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 September 2007 - 01:30 PM

View PostChibbs, on Sep 12 2007, 12:58 PM, said:

prob 98% people hate them because they "destroyed AKA" or AGD or any of the other companies but simple fact is most of them would have never owned any of their products, hell if you track most the post of the people who bash SP have never used an electro, use Tippmann A5s, guillies and run around calling themselves "snipers."

Now again with all that said I shoot an automag as my backup gun behind my Nerve

I don't buy SP products because of their business practices.... because free market should indeed be free from the kind of legal practices that SP has been known to do. I'll recommend their products to people if they're the best choice.... but I won't buy their products for myself anymore.

My first aftermarket barrel was an old-school All-American barrel, bought before all of that stuff went down... and i've frequently borrowed a friend's shocker or nerve or ion from time to time to play with.... so it's not like i've never used their products.... but whatever.

....and honestly, who trademarks "31337"???? That belongs to 1337 KR3W, back from the early 90's. SP has no business TM'ing that for their ad campaign.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

#15 User is offline   Chibbs 

• Team Voodoo
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 September 2007 - 01:33 PM

View Post^!), on Sep 12 2007, 04:30 PM, said:

....and honestly, who trademarks "31337"???? That belongs to 1337 KR3W, back from the early 90's. SP has no business TM'ing that for their ad campaign.

its not the saying its the way its put, the typeface and the layout on the page

Share this topic:

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users