• You cannot reply to this topic

My A5 loves breaking Marballizer Whats the deal? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   JaguarShark 

• TOTSUGEKI!!
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Kiriyama9000

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:12 AM

For some reason, my A5 keeps breaking paint. I'm at a loss as to what it is, but here are the specs and what I have done to it:

My Setup
-Stock A5 barrel .693 bore
-Tippmann/SpecOps Longbow Air-thru kit.
-3000psi Pure Energy Compressed Air tank
-Remote line
-Marballizer paint

After the first day of play and breaking a lot of paint, I took the A5 completely apart, lubricated and cleaned up the internals, replaced the drive spring, and checked the cyclone ratchet for wear.
Everything seemed okay and I put everything back together.

Upon arriving at the field yesterday, I chrono'd the gun at 280 (field limit) and it stayed in that +/- 1 or 2 psi. When I started playing and started shooting more, the paint was just exploding out of the barrel. The barrel and breach would get completely saturated and excess managed to find its way into the cyclone. Thankfully, it wasn't every shot and I was still able to play somewhat decently.

What could be the issue? Any ideas?
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   dextonik 

• Grrrrrrr, ARRRG
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:dex.

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:37 AM

View PostJaguarShark, on 28 March 2011 - 08:12 AM, said:

For some reason, my A5 keeps breaking paint. I'm at a loss as to what it is, but here are the specs and what I have done to it:

My Setup
-Stock A5 barrel .693 bore
-Tippmann/SpecOps Longbow Air-thru kit.
-3000psi Pure Energy Compressed Air tank
-Remote line
-Marballizer paint

After the first day of play and breaking a lot of paint, I took the A5 completely apart, lubricated and cleaned up the internals, replaced the drive spring, and checked the cyclone ratchet for wear.
Everything seemed okay and I put everything back together.

Upon arriving at the field yesterday, I chrono'd the gun at 280 (field limit) and it stayed in that +/- 1 or 2 psi. When I started playing and started shooting more, the paint was just exploding out of the barrel. The barrel and breach would get completely saturated and excess managed to find its way into the cyclone. Thankfully, it wasn't every shot and I was still able to play somewhat decently.

What could be the issue? Any ideas?
Im sure it's highly unlikely but, was it old paint that they were using? Just asking cause I've been to fields that used last years paint. I've had the same issue with my a-5 before after the first 3 games of that happening I just lowered the velocity and that seemed to solve the problem. Or switch paint and see if that changes anything. another thing to try is to slow down your ROF and shoot 1-2 balls instead of 3-5. I've found that decreases the chopping at times. (not saying it always works) I'm sure someone in here has better insight in the matter then I do. Hope this helps.

This post has been edited by dextonik: 28 March 2011 - 08:52 AM

If you can't hack it, then I suggest you pack it!
I'm on it like white on rice, with a glass of milk in a snow storm.
Doesn't matter what gun you have, as long as you can hit what you're looking at.
Procrastinators of the world unite...TOMORROW

#3 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 28 March 2011 - 09:06 AM

Check the bolt for wear that makes it "sharp"? Hmm....

I can vouch for the 'old paint' possibility... I just tried to test the feed rate of my Qloader in my Automag at 25 bps and it turned into a paint sprayer. I'm not sure I acutally saw a ball come out because they just exploded when they were fired, lol.

EDIT: How cold is it in Baltimore? Winter paint is made for temperatures below about 10 degrees C. It is made thicker so that it only gets brittle when it gets much colder, and so it is less fragile until -20 or -30. Cyclones also tend to not be so great on paint in the cold (squishy paddles help).

This post has been edited by cdrinkh20: 28 March 2011 - 09:10 AM

#4 User is offline   JaguarShark 

• TOTSUGEKI!!
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 March 2011 - 09:38 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I don't think I am doing anything too crazy on the rate of fire end. I have the stock single trigger and am conservative with paint (playing paintball is a luxury and I have bills to pay, lol). As for the bolt, it seems ok. It is certainly not new, but in decent shape. Nothing seems worn out and I'm not getting any burping or jamming.

It was around 40f or so outside yesterday.
My paint stays in my basement which is around 65f degrees.

This post has been edited by JaguarShark: 28 March 2011 - 09:39 AM

Posted Image

#5 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 28 March 2011 - 10:16 AM

Hmm... well even with winter paint many people recommended you trade off what you are carrying every few minutes (depending again, on temperature) with stuff stored somewhere warmer (ie. a cooler with hand warmer packets). Essentially, the longer your paint is exposed to the cold the more fragile it will get (until it is same temperature as ambient). That might explain why you had some success, because it wasn't TOO cold, but cold enough to make the paint fragile? Even travel time will leave it exposed if in your trunk.

#6 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 March 2011 - 11:10 AM

Nothing about your setup sends up a red flag as to why paint would be breaking. Aside from the possible poor condition of paint being a possible culprit, I have a couple questions:

Only breaking in the breach, not in the cyclone? Or are they barrel breaks? I'm assuming the cyclone paddles are stock since you didn't list them as upgrades. Are you sure the cyclone paddles are aligned correctly, not half feeding paint into the breach? Seems silly, but is your detent in backwards? If it's in correctly is it hard or still soft/pliable? Your barrel adapter isn't wonky is it, not allowing the barrel correct alignment, it doesn't rattle loose or anything? Barrel isn't bent or doesn't have any issues inside?

Sorry, lots of questions. It's just that most paint breaking in the A-5 is attributed directly to the cyclone itself... misfeeding paint, blending paint, etc.
ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#7 User is offline   chl2onic 

• Bargain Addict
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:chl2onic

Posted 28 March 2011 - 11:28 AM

The only issues I have had with the a-5 breaking paint is barrel breaks. I say follow Ger's post, and relay the info you have.. Otherwise IMO, it's the paint plain and simple.. Marbs are great, but I havent had the best of luck with them in Tippmanns, Tippmanns are just hard on paint plain and simple, marbs are thin shelled so they break on contact all the time. Try using RPS stingers or premium if available, I have had the best luck with these (no breaks out of multiple cases) and they shoot pretty good.

#8 User is offline   JaguarShark 

• TOTSUGEKI!!
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:06 PM

The cyclone seems to be feeding ok. The fins are stock and were correctly installed before I took everything apart and after. When I had the barrel off, I checked to see if the cyclone was loading into the breach correctly, and from what I saw it was. The detent is installed correctly, lol. The barrel and adapter are definitely true. I will purchase premium next time I am out and hopefully, I don't get the same result. If I do, I'll be back here whining about it, lol.

If it helps any (I forgot to mention this), I tried another barrel to see if the results were the same and they were. I can't remember what brand/kind it was, but it looked to be about 14" and had the apex ready adapters on the end.

I know there are softer types of fins you can get for the a5, but I'm not going to any rates of fire fast enough to require them.
If it comes down to the cyclone being bad, I'd spend the money and replace it with the cyclone that is on the X7 and newer a5.

Man, getting the right paint is a sure expensive way to troubleshoot, haha.

Once again, all the feedback is greatly appreciated!!!

This post has been edited by JaguarShark: 28 March 2011 - 12:07 PM

Posted Image

#9 User is offline   chasbronson 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:chasbronson

Posted 28 March 2011 - 04:40 PM

View PostJaguarShark, on 28 March 2011 - 01:06 PM, said:

The cyclone seems to be feeding ok. The fins are stock and were correctly installed before I took everything apart and after. When I had the barrel off, I checked to see if the cyclone was loading into the breach correctly, and from what I saw it was. The detent is installed correctly, lol. The barrel and adapter are definitely true. I will purchase premium next time I am out and hopefully, I don't get the same result. If I do, I'll be back here whining about it, lol.

If it helps any (I forgot to mention this), I tried another barrel to see if the results were the same and they were. I can't remember what brand/kind it was, but it looked to be about 14" and had the apex ready adapters on the end.

I know there are softer types of fins you can get for the a5, but I'm not going to any rates of fire fast enough to require them.
If it comes down to the cyclone being bad, I'd spend the money and replace it with the cyclone that is on the X7 and newer a5.

Man, getting the right paint is a sure expensive way to troubleshoot, haha.

Once again, all the feedback is greatly appreciated!!!

We had some cyclones where over a period of time as you would tighten the bottom cover screws the sharp pointy tips of the screws would protrude up into the paddle chamber.They would go up so far that they would contact the paddles.They would put deep scratches in the paddles,and of course cut the paintballs real quick.I check all cyclones for this.If they don't have it,they are on their way to it.Pull the screws grind them down,[don't let the grinder jerk'em out of the pliers your holding with].Pull the paddles and smooth the rough sharp edges with sandpaper.

#10 User is offline   Bone37 

• The Chicago 37th S.P.S. Heavy Gunner
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Bone37

Posted 28 March 2011 - 06:22 PM

My bet is old/bad paint. Ive been shooting Marbs through a highly
modded A-5 with a ported Flatline and for years now and rarely had any issues.
Stick with Marbalizer its the best you can buy, you probably had a bad batch.
Posted Image

37sps.com

#11 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 March 2011 - 06:46 PM

Yeah, based on your answers... it sure seems like it was bad/old paint. Paint could've been sitting thru the winter months from last season & is old. If it's fresh it's possible your bag/case was bad or maybe just that shipment the field had - the pallets might have been sitting out in the elements a bit too long waiting to be loaded on the truck, who knows, it happens. The fact your cyclone is in working order, no issues w/ the barrel or detent, leads me to think it's a paint issue.
ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#12 User is offline   JaguarShark 

• TOTSUGEKI!!
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 March 2011 - 04:43 AM

Duly noted, all.

Thanks for the feedback!
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic