• You cannot reply to this topic

PAINTBALL BAN IN UTAH!! READ THIS!! Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Danger Dan 

• Team Desert Edge
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Danger Dan

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:13 AM

South Jordan city leaders are considering a ban on air guns, BB guns, *paintball guns* and some firearms replicas.

http://www.ksl.com/?...148&sid=3465891

Anyone live in that area? You may want to attend the council meeting on June 17th.

Quote:
Police say they've had more than 15 complaints in the last year and a half about fake weapons that were mistakenly thought to be real.

How much of an 'inconvenience' is 15 calls over 18 months?

Perhaps the city council needs to be reminded of these words by one of our founding fathers who knew too well the slippery slope towards fascism in the name of security.

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.
Thomas Jefferson Letter to Archibald Stuart (1791)

This is one of those times we need to show our support of this sport and educate the masses.

#2 User is offline   Hellspawn 

• A Fetching Fetcher
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:18 AM

Oh great.

all it takes is for one city to pass a law and to make precident for all the rest to come follow along.

I cant say im suprised with all the hate toward paintball, they are building city owned and maintained skateparks and banning paintball... nice.

#3 User is offline   3rd Recon 

• Coming Home to CA soon!!
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:3rd Recon

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:24 AM

If I could do anything I would. but that really sucks and is a very slippery slope.

It looks like similar banns where enacted in other cities, what is it like in those? Salt lake? thats a pretty big city yet they dont sen to complain.

edited to add content

This post has been edited by 3rd Recon: 05 June 2008 - 10:27 AM

Tippmann Owners Club #63 - My Feedback +4/-0
Put This In Your Sig if You Work Long And Hard For Your Paintball Money

#4 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:28 AM

Why ban? They could generate some revenue from this. If airsoft guns are supposed to have the orange tip and don't have it, fine them a couple of hundred bucks, same with transporting a milsim marker in open view.

Does anyone know how many of those 15 complaints actually had to do with paintball?
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#5 User is offline   3rd Recon 

• Coming Home to CA soon!!
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:3rd Recon

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:33 AM

I know Ive had the cops called on me when I was tuning my markers in my back yard and almost every time I get a weapon pointed at me cuz my tippy looks like a MP5SD so ive just started working on my markers on base or inside. I think most of those calls were just jumpy neighbors.
Tippmann Owners Club #63 - My Feedback +4/-0
Put This In Your Sig if You Work Long And Hard For Your Paintball Money

#6 User is offline   125blackfire 

• Stock Class
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:125blackfire

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:37 AM

if they continue too ban paint ball, i think there will be some paint ball radicals. :happy:
are other contrys banning paint ball? or is just the US?
The black of the shadows will hide the awesome fire power of 1BPS about hit you!
http://www.cbf.org/site/PageServer?pagename=homev3

#7 User is offline   mrwaffles 

• Part time crazy person
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mrwaffles

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:44 AM

"..And for my next piece of legislation I purpose that we ban cars. They pollute the environment, there are thousands (possibly even tens of thousands) of deaths per year and car's are dangerous. Oh, and they support terrorism"

Lets all go on a witch-hunt! (Witch-hunt = paintball, airsoft and guns in general -- OR anything else that politicians think might get them elected again.. so that they can do NOTHING again) Anyone who looks like a witch we shall burn at the stake! It will make the people of this great city feel better. Plus, we want to draw the cities attention away from our growing debt, gas prices, job loss and slumping economy. It will be a cause for them to rally against and will bring the community together. (aka election time is rolling around again)

:happy:

EDIT: this forum hates MSword ;)

This post has been edited by mrwaffles: 05 June 2008 - 01:54 PM

#8 User is offline   Warpaint 

• "Well...Shall We?"
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Warpaint537

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:03 AM

Typical "Chicken-Little, Knee-Jerk", overeaction to a lack of responsible parenting, ownership, and common sense. If I was law enforcement and the community involved, I think my time would be better invested worrying about and addressing the number of real firearm encounters they are experiencing, as opposed to chasing every one carrying an object used for play and sport. Statistically speaking, LE and the community probably have "bigger (crime) bangs for their buck" to chase. Illegal activities involving bb and airsoft pistols or rifles and paintball markers are usually very, very low on the radar with regards to frequency and impact as compared to other criminal or misdemeanor behavior...like vandalism, burglary, vagrancy, shoplifting, armed robbery, loitering, assault and/or battery, DUI, jaywalking, disorderly conduct, etc., etc., etc...

http://www.sjc.utah....e-crimestat.asp

Obviously, some people with paintball markers don't exercise very good judgment, and since their actions are misunderstood, this community believes banning paintball markers is the solution. Baseball bats, tire irons, hammers, machetes, screwdrivers, and knives are similarly misunderstood objects. If we're going to subscribe to this logic, then I have seen more than a few police officers applying what is misundertood by onlookers as excessive use of force to make arrests. To protect us from this misunderstanding in future nationally televised arrests, I propose we draft a bill requiring police be armed with pillows and harsh language...then we can once again sleep in our homes at night with our doors unlocked. Utah is surely on the path to righteousness and utopia.

This post has been edited by Warpaint: 06 June 2008 - 08:34 PM

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." ~ Edmund Burke ~ "Well...shall we?" ~ Hoot, Black Hawk Down
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:30 AM

Hey... The philosophy stands...punish all for the actions of a few. It's how things get done... It may not be right...But that is the general rule. It is people like the majority of posters on this forum who are the ones who have the best chance of influencing the image of paintball. I sure hope some guys go down to that meeting and represent themselves and this sport in an honorable fashion. Good examples can make a difference.

You know... If a local PB field would sponsor a community-involvement activity centered around paintball, and demonstrate how the sport fosters teamwork, honor, sportsmanship, etc, it could do a lot towards creating positive regard for paintballing. Just like with skateboarding, when a few bad apples caused problems for businesses, they started getting the ban hammer, but some boarders showed the positive impacts that having a worthwhile use of time can have on kids, and bam, there come the skate parks. Give them a place to play and those who are responsible will use it. Sure, some morons wil continue to cause problems, but if you ban one thing, they'll find something else to be stupid with.
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#10 User is offline   Ground Runner 

• They're Grrreat!!!
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:GROUNDRUNNER

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:33 AM

*Sighs* I guess I don't really expect much else considering the slippery slope the country's already on. You guys should try to fight this as much as possible. Get a petition going and maybe even think about some outside help from an organization like the NRA. I doubt the NRA will really help but you get what I mean. This is in violation of the second amendment to me and they have no right to ban practically harmless paintball guns, unless they're saying the founding fathers were wrong and the 2nd amendment doesn't count then you should have a great basis to even make a case against them.

This post has been edited by Ground Runner: 05 June 2008 - 11:34 AM

"We will not go quietly into the night!
We will not vanish without a fight!
We're going to live on!
We're going to survive!"

My friends are to poor to start a team with me so I'm looking for anyone that'll have me

#11 User is offline   Danger Dan 

• Team Desert Edge
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 June 2008 - 12:13 PM

The RMPPA will be discussing rallying RMPPA members and any others that will stand and help educate the masses about this sport.

#12 User is offline   josef_k 

• WWII mod-o-holic
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Josef_K

Posted 05 June 2008 - 12:51 PM

Just to play devil's advocate here, on the flip side, does anybody know what the nature of each of those complaints was in the first place? Hopefully they were a result of others simply being jumpy/overzealous but I can attest to having seen more than enough people neglecting to use appropriate discretion as to when and where they pull out a paintball marker for testing and/or target practice.

For example (straight from the link):
"The police department recently responded to a 911 call of a man lying in the bushes with a rifle that turned out to be fake. "
There's no sensible reason to be doing something like that in your front yard that I can think of offhand, save posing for a photo, making some sort of movie (be it for school or otherwise), or if somebody is going a bit overboard trying to get that pesky mole that's tearing up the front lawn. Even so, if somebody does live in an area with a relatively high population density, that person should talk to their neighbors and make sure they know what's going to be going/going on. Also, many suburban and urban pockets have laws against brandishing of firearms and any sort of devices designed to fire projectiles that aren't firearms. While I agree that such a ban would be bad news for paintball, as a community, we all have the individual responsibility to represent paintball in the best, most positive way possible. The presence and easy accessibility of cheap pellet guns, paintball markers, and airsoft guns that resemble (to the untrained eye) firearms doesn't make this task any easier but it doesn't serve as an excuse for anybody to not behave responsibly.

Any further information that can be located on the topic would certainly help the rest of us to better understand the circumstances under which all this is happening.

There are 101 types of people: those who understand binary, those who don't, and those who just can't count.

#13 User is offline   Danger Dan 

• Team Desert Edge
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:25 PM

Honestly I don’t see how any circumstances justify the bad of fire arm LIKE guns. It is the owner’s responsibility to conduct himself in a responsible manner. I fear the day when the government controls everyone with every action. The weight of responsible behavior should always be on the individual not the government. The sad day is here where people use the ridicules excuse that "I CAN do it because it is NOT illegal". Growing up my parents worked hard to teach me that "I will reap the consequences of my actions. Well I have found out that is a HUGE LIE. In today’s world I only have to pay for my actions if they prove it and there is not a legal loop hole.

It is PAST the time that we organize and take the responsibility upon ourselves to stand up as responsible people and show others that for every stupid 12 year old that shoots peoples houses and street signs there are 1000 others that don't and play with safety in mind.

#14 User is offline   Tora 

• Yes, that is Barney. My Barney. No you can't have him.
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:27 PM

I feel sorry for all you guys
FEEDBACK

My momma raised me the be SHAMELESS!

#15 User is offline   Gyrocopter 

• Gyronator
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Gyrocopter

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:46 PM

If I had to, I would move.
I got a crate of grenades for christmas!!!

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users