Special Ops Paintball: Is it me or are we being shafted? - Special Ops Paintball

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is it me or are we being shafted? the lack of goodies for us snipers Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   gubment_man 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:GUBMENT SNIPER

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:28 PM

In the past couple of years woodsball and scenarioball have become more realistic because of SpecOps pb and the influence the military has on our sport.

Just like how our tactics has evolved in both woodsball and the military the same goes for equipment. In the military, each role and type of soldier recieves their fare share of the technology the military has. Paintball on the other hand is a whole different story, most of the advancements in paintball goes to speedball. Anything that can be applied to woodsball is modified and refined. The main problem this has is that it completely leaves us snipers dangling in the wind with whatever we can modify with homemade remedies and learn from our military counterparts, up until now I can say we have done well for ourselves. In the past decade the most revolutionary thing that has been made for us is Action Ghillie and the Longbow, both of which are thanks to SpecOps.

Picture this situation that could or has happened to you. You're at a scenario game and your general has sent you on a recon mission to gather intel on a enemy base that is going to be attacked. you make it to your objective and you realize that the area whithin a 300 yds radius is a open field which leaves us in a bind. The situation that I just mention is becoming more likely with the use of various and military based missions that is now make its way to the setup of most scenario games everywhere and is something that our military bretheren deal with all the time but can overcome by using observation equipment that they have to complete their mission. A simple pair of binoculars could have done the job in that situation but still lies a problem. binoculars and minoculars require your eye to be within 1" of the eyepiece, making it impossible to use with your googles on.

A issue us Tippmann users know and live with is:that our guns are loud as heck!!!! It doesnt help us any when there are no effective ways to make it quieter. Besides that, I bet if you look in your gear bag there is at least one pieces of sniper gear that you had to mod with a homemade remedy whether its your pods, vest or loader. The few things that could be used by us are either insufficient, short lived or gimmicks made for those who own a certain product or forces you to buy it for you to use it properly like the First Strike rounds and the conversion kits that our only for Tiberius guns.Whereas most of the market is moving more towards shooting faster, louder and ofcourse wasting more paint.

It seems when it comes to painball products and technology we are the redheaded stepchildren that takes what we can get and do the best we can with what we got. Thats what I think anyway. :rolleyes: What do you guys think?

NOTE:
When I made this post, I forgot about 1 key fact and that is this: We are shooting a paintball which makes itself the achillies heel to the paintball market. Also, since each sniper makes their gear kit unique that makes "custom" jobs the best choice since some things we use does everyone else no good for them to have and it justs hinders the market even more. I also play airsoft so I was unintentionally making a not very thought out comparison between the two. Due to the nature of airsoft and what is used the can make sniper gear in mass quantities and make money because there is a difference between the gun a rifleman and the sniper. In paintball there really isnt much you can do to make a difference, If you have your gun tuned to snipe in pb then decide to do play a round with a friends' gun that is tuned for high rate of fire you wouldnt see a very being difference. Try the same thing in airsoft and I can bet money that the differnce is substantial.

I apologize for not thinking this through entirely, but it still stinks that there arent more stuff made specificly for us but what can you do. Paintball would have to be redesigned to cater to us like airsoft does to there snipers buts the game we play not the manufactures fault,you can advance something so much until it is no longer what it originally was.

This post has been edited by gubment_man: 03 September 2009 - 03:15 PM

"why does that bush have eyes?"

#2 User is offline   HeadshotPhantom 

• Rockin', Cockin', and Class Stockin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:HeadshotPhantom

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:53 PM

Any custom "sniper gear" would have such a slim market it wouldn't sell very well, and if it did, we'd probably just look at the idea and do it ourselves for a lot cheaper. The AG and Longbow were products of some of the best marketing I've seen in awhile. Personally, I wan't a Longbow kit for my Phantom. I've designed it, but Special Ops just doesn't have the resources to take a chance like that.

#3 User is offline   TheEnd 

• I am the who when you call "Who's there?"
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:TheFear07

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:15 PM

Exactly what headshotphantom said about the marketing. It just makes more sense to market to the paintball community as a whole, rather than focusing on a small group. Companies have to make money, especially in this economy.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realized God doesn’t work that way, so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness.- Emo Philips
I don't drink these days. I'm allergic to alcohol and narcotics. I break out in handcuffs. Robert Downey Junior
Now and then I announce "I know you're listening to empty rooms". If I'm wrong then no one knows, and if I'm right, Maybe I just freaked the hell out of some secret organization.

#4 User is offline   sipbgod94 

• proud pistol toter
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:15 PM

Well ya know all those "speedball advancements" have lately been catering to scenario players needs.

All those new and not so new markers like the Tactical Drone, the M-tac and even the Tac-one thats not for nothing.

Sure some may say (myself included) their ugly, and the rails are useless but for a "sniper" wouldn't it be a godsend?

You get an efficient,accurate and quiet marker, and its all stock!

Now we have sights and a stock left to cover.

Well all of the above mentioned markers have 2 or more rails on the body so uh that takes care of that and no need to buy an offset either. So again good to go right out of the box.

Now to the stock. I believe the M-tac has an option to accept a stock and aside from that all three markers will take the T2w stock with no modification.

So really whats left to ask for have you been catered to? Maybe not specifically but everything doesn't need to say it was made for snipers for you to take it to the field.
Resident Lax know-all, got a lacrosse related question ask here.

#5 User is offline   gubment_man 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:16 PM

View PostHeadshotPhantom, on Sep 2 2009, 11:53 PM, said:

Any custom "sniper gear" would have such a slim market it wouldn't sell very well, and if it did, we'd probably just look at the idea and do it ourselves for a lot cheaper. The AG and Longbow were products of some of the best marketing I've seen in awhile. Personally, I wan't a Longbow kit for my Phantom. I've designed it, but Special Ops just doesn't have the resources to take a chance like that.

But that's thing though, because of the fact that we are snipers its like the most of the product market doesnt apply to us. What things that would be of use to us are expensive to make or keep in production for an extended period of time. which sucks

#6 User is offline   gubment_man 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:24 PM

View Postsipbgod94, on Sep 3 2009, 12:15 AM, said:

Well ya know all those "speedball advancements" have lately been catering to scenario players needs.

All those new and not so new markers like the Tactical Drone, the M-tac and even the Tac-one thats not for nothing.

Sure some may say (myself included) their ugly, and the rails are useless but for a "sniper" wouldn't it be a godsend?

Well all of the above mentioned markers have 2 or more rails on the body so uh that takes care of that and no need to buy an offset either. So again good to go right out of the box.

Now to the stock. I believe the M-tac has an option to accept a stock and aside from that all three markers will take the T2w stock with no modification.

So really whats left to ask for have you been catered to? Maybe not specifically but everything doesn't need to say it was made for snipers for you to take it to the field.

that is like the homemade remedies thing i mentioned.When the smart parts ion was released it was one of the coolest speedball markers around, but know that the speedball scene has moved on to the next shiny new toy we adopted it to our sniper arsenal because of its accuracy, noise level and the abundance of aftermarket parts like the tactical body that has sight rails and internal performance parts.

#7 User is offline   sipbgod94 

• proud pistol toter
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:37 PM

View Postgubment_man, on Sep 3 2009, 12:24 AM, said:

that is like the homemade remedies thing i mentioned.When the smart parts ion was released it was one of the coolest speedball markers around, but know that the speedball scene has moved on to the next shiny new toy we adopted it to our sniper arsenal because of its accuracy, noise level and the abundance of aftermarket parts like the tactical body that has sight rails and internal performance parts.

How does anything I said apply to these "Homemade remedies" everything I mentioned is in mass production by paintball manufacturers and is out to buy now.

And I am not getting what the Ion refrence has to do with the current topic? It's hardly one of the more quiet,efficient or more reliable markers out there and just because speedball players use a certain marker doesn't mean "snipers" can't use it.
Resident Lax know-all, got a lacrosse related question ask here.

#8 User is offline   Phobeus 

• You can't kill what you can't see...
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Bushman

Posted 03 September 2009 - 08:27 AM

I really don't see how we are getting shafted. As my teams sniper I am always getting the cool goodies first and showing the team how good they are. True there are not many sniper specific upgrades out there but there are products that make your gun perform better. Barrels, Bolts, Eyes, Kits, you name it. Ohh and you don't have to have a T-9/8 to use the first strike rounds. I have seen a few modded 98's out there that can shoot them. I don't see the problem is it that we don't have "custom" sniper gear you can buy en mass? Whats your problem with making it yourself?

Ohh and even though SpecOpsPB is doing a lot to push woodsball and scenario paintball, I would hardly give them credit for event coordinators producing more militaristic paintball scenarios. It's the players that want that, people want to pretend and roleplay that they are a WW2 soldier or pretend that they are trying to save a downed helicopter while fending off the skinnies at every turn. More people went to the military scenarios than say... Coke Vs. Pepsi scenarios, because in the end it's more fun. So if anything the military and players as a whole should be given credit for tactical military based scenarios, not spec ops.

#9 User is offline   Kheph 

• Mackenzie's Dad
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Kheph

Posted 03 September 2009 - 11:23 AM

*waiting for all of the naysayers to come on and yell at you for saying there's even such thing as a sniper in paintball* :(
Khephren
QLoader-Midwest Player Rep.

Proud to be a Christian!!!

#10 User is offline   Phobeus 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2009 - 11:53 AM

check the two vids I posted in the "practice makes perfect" thread. I would like to see naysayers continue naysaying after they watched those, lol!

#11 User is offline   gubment_man 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 03 September 2009 - 02:02 PM

View Postsipbgod94, on Sep 3 2009, 12:37 AM, said:

View Postgubment_man, on Sep 3 2009, 12:24 AM, said:

How does anything I said apply to these "Homemade remedies" everything I mentioned is in mass production by paintball manufacturers and is out to buy now.

And I am not getting what the Ion refrence has to do with the current topic? It's hardly one of the more quiet,efficient or more reliable markers out there and just because speedball players use a certain marker doesn't mean "snipers" can't use it.

First off the "Home remedies" was a bad choice of words on my part so I apologies for that. The thing about the ion was an a example of a paintball gun originally design(but nnot limited to)speedball but after a few years and a couple hundred aftermarket parts later it is being adapted to users style in this case for sniping. (just agree with another example, Im not trying to be a jerk) Also I never said a sniper shouldnt use a speedball gun, if that is what you wnt to use thats your choice.

#12 User is offline   raptorbite 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:raptorbite

Posted 03 September 2009 - 02:20 PM

I really dont see how action ghillie and the longbow are "revolutionary" when the technology was out before they were released.
I dont get it,whats wrong with "speedball" markers that a sniper cant use it?You have mobility with the lack of a remote coil,you have mask clearance that you dont get with stocks.You get a nice quiet smooth shot.What more could you want?
I miss the old days of sword beach and such

#13 User is offline   gubment_man 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 03 September 2009 - 02:35 PM

View PostPhobeus, on Sep 3 2009, 11:27 AM, said:

I really don't see how we are getting shafted. As my teams sniper I am always getting the cool goodies first and showing the team how good they are. True there are not many sniper specific upgrades out there but there are products that make your gun perform better. Barrels, Bolts, Eyes, Kits, you name it. Ohh and you don't have to have a T-9/8 to use the first strike rounds. I have seen a few modded 98's out there that can shoot them. I don't see the problem is it that we don't have "custom" sniper gear you can buy en mass? Whats your problem with making it yourself?

Ohh and even though SpecOpsPB is doing a lot to push woodsball and scenario paintball, I would hardly give them credit for event coordinators producing more militaristic paintball scenarios. It's the players that want that, people want to pretend and roleplay that they are a WW2 soldier or pretend that they are trying to save a downed helicopter while fending off the skinnies at every turn. More people went to the military scenarios than say... Coke Vs. Pepsi scenarios, because in the end it's more fun. So if anything the military and players as a whole should be given credit for tactical military based scenarios, not spec ops.

At least you see that there arent that many upgrades made, so at least I dont look completely stupid. When I made this post, I forgot about 1 key fact and that is this: We are shooting a paint filled gel capsule out of a modern day lesser equivalent of a musket. ( not the best way to explain but still gets the point across :D ) I also play airsoft so I was unintentionally making a not very thought out comparison between the two. Due to the nature of airsoft and what is used the can make sniper gear in mass quantities and make money because there is a difference between the gun a rifleman and the sniper. In paintball there really isnt much you can do to make a difference, If you have your gun tuned to snipe in pb then decide to do play a round with a friends' gun that is tuned for high rate of fire you wouldnt see a very being difference. Try the same thing in airsoft and I can bet money that the differnce is substantial.

I apologize for not thinking this through entirely, but it still stinks that there arent more stuff made specificly for us but what can you do. Paintball would have to be redesigned to cater to us like airsoft does to there snipers buts the game we play not the manufactures fault,you can advance something so much until it is no longer what it originally was.

Can you explain first strikes comment furtherbecause I was under the impression by who I've spoken to about it and they all made it sound like a sales gimmick or a complete pain if you dont have a tiberius. Specops does have a helping hand in scenarioball but i might have said it in the wrong way. :(

#14 User is offline   gubment_man 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 03 September 2009 - 02:40 PM

View Postraptorbite, on Sep 3 2009, 05:20 PM, said:

I really dont see how action ghillie and the longbow are "revolutionary" when the technology was out before they were released.
I dont get it,whats wrong with "speedball" markers that a sniper cant use it?You have mobility with the lack of a remote coil,you have mask clearance that you dont get with stocks.You get a nice quiet smooth shot.What more could you want?

I never said you cant use a speedball gun. and up until those two things were released no one has talored to advancing the essential gear of the sniper: the ghillie( which has been using the same basic design since its invention) and the paintball gun as far as it being especially made for snipers (this is the lesser of the two)

#15 User is offline   Phobeus 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2009 - 02:58 PM

View Postgubment_man, on Sep 3 2009, 04:35 PM, said:

Can you explain first strikes comment furtherbecause I was under the impression by who I've spoken to about it and they all made it sound like a sales gimmick or a complete pain if you dont have a tiberius. Specops does have a helping hand in scenarioball but i might have said it in the wrong way. :D

On SpecOps, I read it differently than you intended, I read it as they were a driving force behind woodsball and scenarioball. They are a large part due to the quality of their products and their vests.

Ok the first strike round is like the fn303 less than lethal round for law enforcement. It is shaped like a paintball on the front but on the back it has fins that spin the round through the air. The paint is thick enough for this rifling effect to work properly and I am pretty sure they fill it to the brim. But anywho, the spin allows the round to maintain it's accuracy and it also allows the effective range to increase. There's science behind it, physics and aerodynamics, at this point I can't expain it all to you with 100% accuracy because I would have to dig up my highschool text book or search it on google. Your friend my say it's only a gimmick but it's the only gimmick I have seen work. Ok it can be a pain to load with markers outside of the tiberius family, but I have seen two 98's modded at the feedneck to allow a first strike paintball to fit perfectly in the firing chamber. With a little modding you can pretty much do anything you want with a gun.

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users