• You cannot reply to this topic

First marker upgrade! Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   xero 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:48 AM

Hey all-

I started playing pball in 2000, back when I was in the military. Well, I've recently gotten back into it. I picked up a spyder pilot off of craigslist for like 50 bucks, and it hasn't made me happy once. Breaking paint left and right, inaccurate, velocity spikes. You get what you pay for.

I live in New York, which means that I play speedball in the winter, but I love woodsball in the summer. Scenario is something I want to try, and I really enjoyed EMR's Castle Conquest this past fall.

I'm at the point where I am stuck though. I was going to go for a mini for speedball, then pick up a tm-15 for woodsball and scenario. Then someone convinced me to drop getting two different markers and just stick go with the tm 7.

Then I got into the (seemingly) hundreds of different models of the G3 after seeing one in action recently.

And lastly: I'm a huge fan of tippmann, specifically the a5 and the x7 phenom.

I don't want to spend much more then 500 for the marker. I've gone over all the info about each marker, and each one of them has negatives as well as positives. I don't like the a5 cause of the high operating pressure, but it looks so bad ass. The phenom is a great scenario gun, but would cost a lot to get it where I want it. The g3 iq is readily available, has what I want, but doesn't have any colors I like. The mini is sweet looking, but might be too small, and the chances of getting my hands on one to see how it feels are slim, as none of the shops around here carry them: have to be special ordered.

So opinons? I'm looking for what people have heard, what people have seen. Definitly intrested in personal prefrences!

Thanks in advance

x

#2 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:01 AM

Did you use an electronic hopper with your pilot?

If you're going to speedball alot then you should be looking into a tourney marker. Mini's would be about the size of the slg or pmr. However I don't like the feel of them.

With a mini or G3 you'd need hpa.

#3 User is offline   xero 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 25 January 2010 - 01:28 PM

View Postslinkyaroo, on Jan 25 2010, 11:01 AM, said:

Did you use an electronic hopper with your pilot?

If you're going to speedball alot then you should be looking into a tourney marker. Mini's would be about the size of the slg or pmr. However I don't like the feel of them.

With a mini or G3 you'd need hpa.

Compressed air, n2, and hpa are all the same thing, so I'm all set there. Am gonna be getting a carbon tank soon too, but that will be after the marker. Steel tank is just not working for me. To cumbersome.

As far as speedballing, right now it's really the only option. There is the occasional outdoor game, but I prefer being warm and dry to being wet, snow covered, and miserable. So indoor is where it is at now, but in the summer the outdoor fields open up and what not. I like speedball just fine, but really love creeping through the woods or playing on open fields with hard bunkers not airsup. I slid into a bunker the other day at an idoor field, and the thing rolled away from me. Like, literally, rolled away. I had to crawl after it.

I like my bunkers to be able to be slammed into. :P But I can see myself buying a gun for use for speedball, then a seperate gun for scenario/woodsball. Of course, that might just be because the TM-15 is too long for speedball, so I can't use that one gun for both. And I WANT a tm 15.

Yeah, the pilot had an empire hopper, with fresh batteries. Rated up to 13 bps I think. I wasn't roping paint out there, as if I did the pilot would go apeDOO DOO and not stop shooting after I wanted it to. It wasn't that the hopper wasn't keeping up, it just would blow paint up. It was pretty bad at EMR, but they use some real high quality custom made stuff. My last game not as bad, but still broke more paint then I would want to...Had to swab at least once a game, and always post game (which I do anyways).

But mostly, I want a new toy. And I'm using my hatred of the spyder as an excuse. Does the spider work? Sure, as long as I don't get on the trigger too fast. The accuracy isn't that great, the velocity spikes, consistancy sucks, and it is ugly as hell. But yeah, it does sling paint at other people. I could use it... but I could also eat generic twinkies.

But we all know... it's just not the same.

#4 User is offline   superman1479 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 25 January 2010 - 05:54 PM

i have a g3 and i love it. I have the special edition dark earth( brown) and it blends in where i play woodsball and speedball. i love it its fast enough to hold its own on the turf but tough nough to take a beating. its so easy to clean too. you just unscrew the back and lube three o-rings. i love it.

#5 User is offline   xero 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:14 AM

View Postsuperman1479, on Jan 25 2010, 05:54 PM, said:

i have a g3 and i love it. I have the special edition dark earth( brown) and it blends in where i play woodsball and speedball. i love it its fast enough to hold its own on the turf but tough nough to take a beating. its so easy to clean too. you just unscrew the back and lube three o-rings. i love it.

Yeah, I kinda decided that only having one gun is lame. Once I get my tax return, I'm hopefully picking up a spearmint g3 se from a guy on these boards.

Then if I have enough loot left, I'm getting either a tippy a5 or a tm 15. Why not have one for speedball and one for woods?

#6 User is offline   Lachero 

• We Few...
  • PipPip

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:04 AM

For Woodsball: if its between an a5 an a tm 15, then get the tm 15! a very common problem with tippmanns is that you have great ideas of what you want to do to them and just end up dumping a ton of money for cosmetic upgrades that do very little performance wise. I haven't heard much about the tm 15, but i know the tm7 is a really solid marker and i think it's safe to assume that the tm15 will be as well. big point is don't get a tippmann

For speedball: I would love to have a brand new g3 or mini, but they are mid grade electros. you can get a DM6, 06 ego, or even a pm6 for pretty cheap on various forums for the price of a brand new mini or g3. It may be a couple years old but there is nothing wrong with that, plus if it will outperform the mini/g3 why not go for it. Also yes having two guns for speedball and woodsball would be great, yet i would try taking whatever speedball gun you get into the woods as you may find that is what you prefer to play with.

Hopper/Tank: i would buy the hopper and tank you want first before using the marker itself. Ninja and Guerrilla Air are the two companies i would recommend, but like you said personal preference. This also goes for the size you want, and weather it should be 3000 psi or 4500. As for a hopper, if you want the best: get the rotor. If you want to hold a lot of paint: get a pinokio. if you want a good hopper for a decent price get an invert too.

if it were me and i were in your shoes(and knew what i know now about tippmanns) , i would go for a DM6 or an 06 ego and try using it in the woods! good luck...and welcome to the forums
I like turtles!
Support Cedric Diggory...Edward Stinks!

#7 User is offline   xero 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:32 AM

Why not a tippmann? Have a specific opinon to share or anything?

To be honest with you, I don't like the mags, I don't like most of the shrouds, I don't like probably 95% of the upgrades for any of the tippmanns. What I do like is the techt stuff, the apex, an e-grip (either the h.e. or regular), polishing the internals, low pressure kit, and getting a car stock for it.

After that, I will work on how it looks. In my opinon, you can have someone with a perfect imitation of a g36c, mp5, whatever. If it shoots like crap, it is crap. This isn't airsoft. I don't care if my gun looks good.

I care that it works. It's kind of hard to laugh at how a gun looks if you just got gog'd.

#8 User is offline   Lachero 

• We Few...
  • PipPip

Posted 27 January 2010 - 02:16 PM

I totally second you on the cosmetic upgrades. But also why buy a low end mechanical and end up replacing all the parts when it doesn't change the performance all that much. What i wish someone would have told me when i was starting is spend money and buy high quality gear instead of something cheap and having to "upgrade". The brand name of tippmann is all thats keeping it alive at this point. Blowback markers are a very old idea and the only benifit is that it is quite cheap to produce. Tippmanns products are targeted for beginners who don't know all that much about the sport and want to try it. Don't get me wrong, i love my a5 but if i could do it all over i would spend more money up front. With my A5 i have had to replace the power tube, the ratchet on the cyclone, the paddles on the cyclone, internal springs as well as various other small parts (o rings, ball detent, etc). Tippmanns are by no means bad, but i probably wouldn't recommend one to anyone.
I like turtles!
Support Cedric Diggory...Edward Stinks!

#9 User is offline   Bloody Beetroot 

• Destroooooooooy!!!
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Toad24.5

Posted 27 January 2010 - 02:31 PM

View Postbigblue202, on Jan 27 2010, 02:16 PM, said:

I totally second you on the cosmetic upgrades. But also why buy a low end mechanical and end up replacing all the parts when it doesn't change the performance all that much. What i wish someone would have told me when i was starting is spend money and buy high quality gear instead of something cheap and having to "upgrade". The brand name of tippmann is all thats keeping it alive at this point. Blowback markers are a very old idea and the only benifit is that it is quite cheap to produce. Tippmanns products are targeted for beginners who don't know all that much about the sport and want to try it. Don't get me wrong, i love my a5 but if i could do it all over i would spend more money up front. With my A5 i have had to replace the power tube, the ratchet on the cyclone, the paddles on the cyclone, internal springs as well as various other small parts (o rings, ball detent, etc). Tippmanns are by no means bad, but i probably wouldn't recommend one to anyone.

Agreed Blue, Tippmans are cool looking and stuff, but it's basically just a money pit with all the upgrades and replacement parts and such.

#10 User is offline   The Bear 

• The Bear
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ghost Bear

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:31 PM

I've owned and/or used 6 models of Spyder, 2 Tippmanns, an Ion, and various "vintage" markers and so far I really like the Tippmanns the best. While I see the point about the money pit/cosmetic thing I can't speak out against it, see my thread about my new SAW toy. I love cosmetic upgrades. But again it's a personal preference.

The reason I decided on a Tippmann was performance, the eye candy was a bonus. I started playing Tippmanns with my sisters bare bones stock A5 and the quality and performance sold me on it. The durability, accuracy, ease of use, and feel of the marker was in my opinion great. Working at my local field where they rent Tippmann 98C's I've seen first hand how durable the brand is and how much punishment they can take. That was the biggest seller for me as I'm rough on my gear.

Again it's going to be a personal preference, and it depends on what your looking for in a marker but for straight up quality my experience with Tippmann has been great so far. I've used them for speedball, woodsball, rec ball, and hopefully soon scenario as well. Not saying other options aren't worth considering, just putting my opinion out there based on my personal experiences.

Bear
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   Mobles 

• Better than Mack
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:T-Freak

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:40 PM

Remeber, theres no reason you cant use a speedball marker in a scenario, but you are limited with woodsball markers in speedball.
Life is short, get off your couch
[IMG-]http://i215.photobuc...eak/meeko-1.jpg[-/IMG]
Posted Image

#12 User is offline   5N1P3R 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:27 PM

View PostT-Freak, on Jan 27 2010, 08:40 PM, said:

Remeber, theres no reason you cant use a speedball marker in a scenario, but you are limited with woodsball markers in speedball.

^^This. Don't make the mistake I did. That is why I am trying to sell my Tippmann and I bought something more universal.

#13 User is offline   TheEnd 

• I am the who when you call "Who's there?"
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:TheFear07

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:15 AM

Go to a store, and take a look at the markers. See how they feel. Minis are great, but they are uncomfortable for a lot of people to hold(including myself), some people swear by tippmann and some people just swear at theirs. What works for one of us, might not work for you. Just my 2 cents
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realized God doesn’t work that way, so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness.- Emo Philips
I don't drink these days. I'm allergic to alcohol and narcotics. I break out in handcuffs. Robert Downey Junior
Now and then I announce "I know you're listening to empty rooms". If I'm wrong then no one knows, and if I'm right, Maybe I just freaked the hell out of some secret organization.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users