• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The new Ubuntu has arrived. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Cyanidepoison 

• SpecOps's Infamous.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 April 2008 - 05:20 AM

8.04 Hardy Heron is available from www.ubuntu.com in release candidate form. I'd expect the full release very soon. If you want to use it, download the CD image and install that and wait for the update manager to give you the full release update.

I've been running the beta for a while now, and I'm having great results. All of the hardware I've thrown at it has worked fine, including a wifi card, two digital cameras, an iPod, and all the components of my computer itself. Whatever you've got, it will probably work fine unless you're trying to make it work with some ancient graphics card or wifi chipset.
Come on and tell us about how bad Linux is on the desktop now Warden, that's always fun. :D
The sun rises to a crisp blanket of snow...

#2 User is offline   evillepaintball 

• You won't do it! You ain't crazy!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:sunshine ac-05

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:11 AM

on my list to do once school is out for the summer and i get a bigger harddrive installed. right now i have a 30gb hdd and my external just bit the dust so storage is kinda scarce. I have wubi installed right now and love it.
"it just doesnt look cool unless you're riding a yamazuki zx1200rrr" - C9H13NO3

#3 Guest_GroundRunner_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:16 AM

ive always hated ubuntu and i dont plan on ever installing it. so far i haven't had any trouble with tht updated version of windows vista so strongly urge you to get that instead of crappy ubuntu.

#4 User is offline   Cyanidepoison 

• SpecOps's Infamous.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:19 AM

View PostGroundRunner, on Apr 24 2008, 07:16 AM, said:

ive always hated ubuntu and i dont plan on ever installing it. so far i haven't had any trouble with tht updated version of windows vista so strongly urge you to get that instead of crappy ubuntu.

No. I prefer to be able to modify my own software, thanks.

#5 User is offline   evillepaintball 

• You won't do it! You ain't crazy!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:sunshine ac-05

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:38 AM

View PostCyanidepoison, on Apr 24 2008, 07:19 AM, said:

View PostGroundRunner, on Apr 24 2008, 07:16 AM, said:

No. I prefer to be able to modify my own software, thanks.

$200 for an OP that forces me to do things i don't want to do, or 0$ for an OP that lets me do whatever the hell i want... tough call
"it just doesnt look cool unless you're riding a yamazuki zx1200rrr" - C9H13NO3

#6 Guest_GroundRunner_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 24 April 2008 - 08:30 AM

i know just my opinion but i cant stand ubuntu. it DO NOT DODGE THE SWEAR FILTERS Warning Issued up on my computer every time ive tried to use it and my vista has worked just fine no problems whats so ever.

#7 User is offline   Veritech Squad 

• Come at me bro.
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2008 - 09:16 AM

View PostGroundRunner, on Apr 24 2008, 08:30 AM, said:

i know just my opinion but i cant stand ubuntu. it -snip- up on my computer every time ive tried to use it and my vista has worked just fine no problems whats so ever.

Erm, haven't you been suspended or warned for dodging the filter before? :laugh:
Wretched is the sound of my voice.

IN MY DROPSHIP ZIGZAGS STAY LIT

#8 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 24 April 2008 - 09:18 AM

If not, he has now.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#9 User is offline   Lomarandil 

• SPPL Junkie -- BlackLight Company
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Lomarandil

Posted 24 April 2008 - 09:25 AM

I installed Gutsy a week ago or so.. I love it! I'm running it entirely off about 4GB of space (Vista is chewing up about 60GB), it is elegant and easy to use, and fast. Perfect for my wordprocessing and internet stuff..

The only problem I've had at all was that my WiFi will cut out, eh, maybe once a day for 3 minutes. Not a big deal for me. I'll upgrade to Hardy pretty soon, I want to give it a few weeks.

And while I'm dual booting now.. I'm pretty sure I'll end up wiping Vista, once I get a bit more familiar with the coding on Ubuntu. Not hard, but haven't had any time to look it up yet.. dang finals

Lo

#10 User is offline   Deus Ex Machina 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2008 - 09:53 AM

I'm downloading the Alternate Install CD as we speak to try it out. I'm waiting for the release of Fedora 9 next month, but I'm going to take a look around and see what the new Ubuntu is like.

#11 User is offline   JackRock 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:JackRock

Posted 24 April 2008 - 01:21 PM

I'll probably wait until I need to reformat the HDD, but I think Ubuntu is what I'm headed to next time. Shortly, I'll go on an entirely open-source operation, for at least the core operations (operating system and office-style stuff).
This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My sig is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My sig, without me, is useless. Without my sig, I am useless. I must type my sig true. I must spell better than my enemy who is trying to judge me. I must type before he ridicules me. I WILL... My sig and I know that what counts in this forum is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the splatter we make. We know that it is the hits that count. WE WILL HIT... Before the Admins, I swear this creed. My sig and myself are the defenders of my forum. We are the masters of our enemy. WE ARE THE SAVIORS OF MY PROFILE. - Tippmann Owner #pi

#12 User is offline   Cyanidepoison 

• SpecOps's Infamous.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:10 AM

View PostLomarandil, on Apr 24 2008, 09:25 AM, said:

I installed Gutsy a week ago or so.. I love it! I'm running it entirely off about 4GB of space (Vista is chewing up about 60GB), it is elegant and easy to use, and fast. Perfect for my wordprocessing and internet stuff..

The only problem I've had at all was that my WiFi will cut out, eh, maybe once a day for 3 minutes. Not a big deal for me. I'll upgrade to Hardy pretty soon, I want to give it a few weeks.

And while I'm dual booting now.. I'm pretty sure I'll end up wiping Vista, once I get a bit more familiar with the coding on Ubuntu. Not hard, but haven't had any time to look it up yet.. dang finals

Lo

I've had better results with my wifi card in the new kernels (2.6.24-14 or 16 being the last one I upgraded to, I think?). Install the 8.04 upgrade if you can get to the servers. I've been having trouble though, since everyone and their mother is upgrading.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users