Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tippmann Triumph SSL-200... ...great 9.6v loader! Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   cjottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 October 2006 - 09:45 PM

First day playing with this, about 500 balls through it.

I shoot a heavily upgraded Smart Parts SP-8, previously with a Viewloader Evolution II (Egg II) that claims 19bps.

I understand SPPL rules don't permit electronic markers to use any hopper that advertising a feed rate over 15bps. I bought the SSL-200 to remain legal and after looking at reviews for a number of other hoppers in the same speed range.

First of all, the SSL-200 has a very nice, narrow frontal profile and the surfaces are nicely contoured which will probably aid in bounces. The plastic is somewhere between the very brittle Egg and the somewhat softer plastic on typical field-rental, unagitated hoppers. (The Archon comes to mind).

The battery door on this hopper comes off very easily but doesn't have any tendency to open on it's own. A single 9-volt battery goes in "flat" - parallel with the ground.

There's a single pushbutton and an LED on the back of the unit. The LED lights green when on and batteryy OK, red when batteries are low, according to the literature (I haven't burned a battery up yet but I can confirm it does light green when on). Each time the rear button is pressed, the motor activates for a moment. Noise level is similar to the Egg but a bit more "growly" - still very quiet. Unlike the Egg, once your hopper is empty, this hopper won't "WHIRRRR" and give away your position.

The "bend sensor" is a little flexible finger in the ball outlet. Each time a ball (or finger) "twiddles" this, the motor activates and rotates an impeller/agitator. I don't think this qualifies as "force feed" like an Evo II but it seems very effective none-the-less.

When I set my SP-8 (with stock board) to ramping mode and got it going, this Tippmann hopper did very well keeping up. There were a few hiccups - perhaps one in 20 or 30 shots would stutter slightly as the hopper caught up. I had the eyes on so the marker would only cycle when it was properly fed.

I haven't clocked this hopper yet but, subjectively, it is very fast. With an aftermarket board set to cap ROF at 15-bps, I'm quite comfortable this hopper would not be a liability.

The Triumph SSL-200 hopper gets my highest recommendation. If you want an excellent hopper that lets you shoot an electro' while respecting letter of the SPPL rules, you won't be disappointed.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users