• You cannot reply to this topic

Mercy kill rules? Rate Topic: -----

#16 User is offline   Hydroion 

• reality torn asunder
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Hydroion

Posted 28 September 2006 - 10:51 AM

if i was the ref i would calmy ask the guy to try and be a bit more considerate, if he didn it again i would give him a sterner warning and if he did it a 3rd time i would probably make him sit out for a game.

i doubt any player plays paintball to get hurt.

i personally only mug somene when i am realise that they are really close and havent seeeen me, i prefer to see them, get an angle on them and calmy line up the shot and eliminate them. that way, i get a definite kill and they dont get a hell of a lot of pain.

if i was the player who got shot by him, i wouldnt be best pleased, id probably try to return the favour.

click on my sig to see the graphics team

#17 User is offline   CrazyDoc 

• POOF! No noid!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:CrazyDoc

Posted 28 September 2006 - 11:20 AM

Ah if it's speedball it's all part of it 9a barrel tag is not a out in Seedball) so i would have nailed him but i would have gone for a pod pack not the guys neck (or head) atleast a shoe lol.

JT
John 15:13.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

"The only difference between someone who fails and someone who succeeds, is that person who fails gave up too early."
My Feedback
My feedback on MCB

#18 User is offline   Meyou 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Meyou

Posted 28 September 2006 - 11:40 AM

I saw something similar happen a while back at one of the fields I go to. I was laying paint from behind a fallen tree, with a kid of about 9 years old in a trench adjecent to me. Some fella snuck around, and from less than 4 or 5 feet away, hit the kid with about 10 balls without calling surrender. I must have been about 10 feet away, and slightly angered by this (The kid had hit the deck and was covering his face even as the dude continued to pound on him) I shot the guy. Repeatedly.

We got back to the safe area after, and he claimed to have yelled surrender three times. The kid was in tears for a little while, and sat one game out, but eventually came back in and enjoyed the rest of the day. The guy who did it was given a slap on the wrist by the refs and just continued to play. I'm not sure if thats bad or good. Bad because he hurt the kid, good because I had somebody on the opposing team who I could bonus ball without remorse.

If I had been a ref dude, I'd have had him thrown off the field and banned for life.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
Tenacious Needs YOU! | WDR
Aspie 'Baller

#19 User is offline   ZombieAtak 

• Settle it the old fasioned way, first guy to die LOSES!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ZombieAtak

Posted 28 September 2006 - 11:46 AM

View PostMeyou, on Sep 28 2006, 02:40 PM, said:

I saw something similar happen a while back at one of the fields I go to. I was laying paint from behind a fallen tree, with a kid of about 9 years old in a trench adjecent to me. Some fella snuck around, and from less than 4 or 5 feet away, hit the kid with about 10 balls without calling surrender. I must have been about 10 feet away, and slightly angered by this (The kid had hit the deck and was covering his face even as the dude continued to pound on him) I shot the guy. Repeatedly.

We got back to the safe area after, and he claimed to have yelled surrender three times. The kid was in tears for a little while, and sat one game out, but eventually came back in and enjoyed the rest of the day. The guy who did it was given a slap on the wrist by the refs and just continued to play. I'm not sure if thats bad or good. Bad because he hurt the kid, good because I had somebody on the opposing team who I could bonus ball without remorse.

If I had been a ref dude, I'd have had him thrown off the field and banned for life.

I have to agree with you there. Even if he did call surrender and the kid didn't respond, there is NO reason to shoot him more than once.
ZombieAtak's Feedback
2nd Place: Outdoor Adventures AFFM Tournament 10/19/2008
Most Valuable Team: OA, Bowie, MD; Battle of the Bulge V 12/14/2008; Kobra Kommand II 3/15/09; Coffee Wars III 6/14/09

#20 User is offline   Mars 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 04 October 2006 - 06:02 PM

I agree with Jester.

Someone earlier suggested that this would be assault - not true. No more than football or boxing would be grounds for assault (hint: read your liability waivers). Our field has no close surrender rule, but we (referees) will call out on a barrel tag. An experienced or honorable player will not (should not) do this, and players this aggressive should be seperated from the herd, to go play with others their level. As previously stated, this kind of action will NOT promote the sport. I wouldn't mind playing against this guy, but you're average 12 year old would never play again.

#21 User is offline   EpShot 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 October 2006 - 08:57 PM

i dunno, the liabity waivers protect the field, not other players from lawful action wether prosecution or lawsuits. also i was just reading one, and it basicaly said that the undersigned won't sue even for negligence. That might work if you've notice negligence for a while but continue to play, but not if its your first time and the field screw up big time. Also since the fields dont' go around explaining the form your signing, it can be nullified pretty easily under the right circumstances(contracts are not nearly as binding as most people think)

as far as assualt with a deadly weapon, it seems hammer can be, and in some cases in the '90s, even MAN PART's carrying aids have been defined as a "deadly weapon" :blink: but it does very by jurisdiction (so it seems)

as far as a paintball gun. if they attacked with the tank... maybe. Technicaly a prosecuter can do anything, but if it is holds up is another matter. You'd have a better shot with "reckless endangemnt" but the qualifier is "intent to cause great bodily harm" so aiming for the back of the head/neck with sustained hits.

but thats just for criminal prosecution. personal if i saw that young kid get pelted, i would have found his dad and recommended small claims court, bodily injury and maybe emotional damages(andmaybe call the cops, even if they don't prosecute, if a cops saw the bruises on the kid, i'm willing to bet he'd let the BOINKER sit in a jail over night). Now let me state i'm not for lots of gross frivilous lawsuit. But a judge ordering someguy to pay several hundred or thousand(up to 3k i think) might keep the guy from doing it again, an dthe kid can ge ta nice marker. Hell, the field owner could do that(lost business). And i'd support him, but i wouldn't recommend it. the only reason i recommend doing the lawsuit, is cause if i did what i woudl want to do.. then i could be charged with assault and "intent to cause great bodily harm"

#22 User is offline   Mars 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 05 October 2006 - 08:15 AM

View PostEpShot, on Oct 4 2006, 11:57 PM, said:

i dunno, the liabity waivers protect the field, not other players from lawful action wether prosecution or lawsuits. also i was just reading one, and it basicaly said that the undersigned won't sue even for negligence. That might work if you've notice negligence for a while but continue to play, but not if its your first time and the field screw up big time. Also since the fields dont' go around explaining the form your signing, it can be nullified pretty easily under the right circumstances(contracts are not nearly as binding as most people think)

as far as assualt with a deadly weapon, it seems hammer can be, and in some cases in the '90s, even MAN PART's carrying aids have been defined as a "deadly weapon" :blink: but it does very by jurisdiction (so it seems)

as far as a paintball gun. if they attacked with the tank... maybe. Technicaly a prosecuter can do anything, but if it is holds up is another matter. You'd have a better shot with "reckless endangemnt" but the qualifier is "intent to cause great bodily harm" so aiming for the back of the head/neck with sustained hits.

but thats just for criminal prosecution. personal if i saw that young kid get pelted, i would have found his dad and recommended small claims court, bodily injury and maybe emotional damages(andmaybe call the cops, even if they don't prosecute, if a cops saw the bruises on the kid, i'm willing to bet he'd let the BOINKER sit in a jail over night). Now let me state i'm not for lots of gross frivilous lawsuit. But a judge ordering someguy to pay several hundred or thousand(up to 3k i think) might keep the guy from doing it again, an dthe kid can ge ta nice marker. Hell, the field owner could do that(lost business). And i'd support him, but i wouldn't recommend it. the only reason i recommend doing the lawsuit, is cause if i did what i woudl want to do.. then i could be charged with assault and "intent to cause great bodily harm"

We're not talking about someone buttstroking a guy with his marker or clubbing him with his tank, or trying to choke him with his remote line. We're talking about regular, normal play, that just got excessive. All that happened was a guy getting shot with a paint ball from a marker, while both players were "in play". If a football player gets his bell rung on the field, it's not assault. If he gets kicked in the face, that's assault. Any judge that would even hear this as a case, should be yanked off the bench, and the lawyer buried in a shallow grave. Following the path of the lawsuit is going to raise insurance rates for the field owner, and cause undue bad press about the incident, resulting in fewer fields opening and more fields closing - bottom line. There is no reason why the referee or the field manager cannot handle this situation in a fair manner. If the referee didn't see it happen, and the field manager doesn't seem to care about the situation, the solution is very simple... go to another field. Places that do not weed out the bad seeds, or segregate the agressive players from the newbies, will get less business. It's a simple matter of customer service and economics, I think.

#23 User is offline   EpShot 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 October 2006 - 12:07 PM

Most of it was hypothesing what technicaly would be considered, which i pointed out. Judges have heard far more frivilous lawsuits anyways.

did you read the post?

"You'd have a better shot with "reckless endangemnt" but the qualifier is "intent to cause great bodily harm" so aiming for the back of the head/neck with sustained hits."

the language is clear. as a modifier, i'll add, "at dangerous range"
which could be, say under 5 feet. that could cause a lot of damage. But of course in a case the accuser woudl haev to prove that there was intent. since as quote the qualifier is "intent to cause great bodily harm"

The only case i suggested an actaul lawsuit was in the case of the kid.
This would have no effect on the field because it is a civil lawsuit between two players, its doesn't involve the field at all.

#24 User is offline   mchainmail 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:mchainmail

Posted 05 October 2006 - 01:54 PM

View PostZombieAtak, on Sep 28 2006, 02:46 PM, said:

View PostMeyou, on Sep 28 2006, 02:40 PM, said:

I have to agree with you there. Even if he did call surrender and the kid didn't respond, there is NO reason to shoot him more than once.

While I will agree with the first poster, and I probably would have emptied half of my hopper on the guy, I could not disagree more with the second poster. When I get behind someone, I always shoot at least twice, and often 3 times just to make sure one broke. I've been in situations when I've been shot by four marballizers in the leg, and none broke.

#25 User is offline   adrenaLine 

• Team adrenaLine
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:adrenaLine a.k.a godSend

Posted 05 October 2006 - 02:08 PM

If I had been the ref. I would have talked to him individually, then reviewed all of the safety rules with EVERYONE. If he did it again, he wouldn't have been coming back.
Team Adrenaline

PM for sniper assistance.
Dagger/Commander- Telling the team what to do, then showing them how it's done.

#26 User is offline   Spenny 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Spenny

Posted 05 October 2006 - 03:00 PM

Argue what you want, but if your playing speedball, getting bunkered is part of the game. It can be hard as hell to aim when you running around a bunker with balls flying ever and some of those electros have crazy triggers. When I get behind someone I just shoot them in the back, because from experience, when they get hit in the pod pack or hopper, they don't always call themselves out.

Another thing you have to remeber is paintballs fly slowly, so when someones just squeezed off a rope at you, even though your hand is up, more might still be coming your way.

But back to the point, if someone has clearly snuck up on you, one shot will do, two is alright, and three is acceptable, but anymore is just mean.

#27 User is offline   adrenaLine 

• Team adrenaLine
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:adrenaLine a.k.a godSend

Posted 05 October 2006 - 03:16 PM

Speedball or not, you don't aim at head level going around a bunker.
Team Adrenaline

PM for sniper assistance.
Dagger/Commander- Telling the team what to do, then showing them how it's done.

#28 User is offline   Mars 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 05 October 2006 - 05:46 PM

View PostadrenaLine, on Oct 5 2006, 06:16 PM, said:

Speedball or not, you don't aim at head level going around a bunker.

If you're coming around a bunker how do you know where head level is?

#29 User is offline   Matt H 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:A-5 MATT A-5

Posted 07 October 2006 - 08:30 PM

At the field i go to:

-3+ shots (overkilling) both players are eliminated

-Shots withing 10 feet both players are eliminated

-Shooting the head, neck or groin on purpose = NO

The rules are technically punishable by the descresion of the ref. I suppose if it was truly an accident only a warning is issued. If it is on purpose, then i think further action is taking.

#30 User is offline   ironwasp 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:ironwasp

Posted 28 October 2006 - 05:14 PM

the ref should just use good old common sense . first he should seperate the players in accordance to skill if they still want to play tourney players ask them to tone it down. I have had tourney players say its a waste of their paint so they would set it out and thats not unreasonable, some will lower their game intensity but everybody is well aware of what they are getting into when we set up every game. if i have an individual who just wont listen hes setting out permanantly. fortunateley we are lucky enough to have some really really good regular players. Our regs when asked (especially 2 or 3 together) are usually pretty persuasive in getting that individual to cooperate(wink wink) remember tourney play and rec play are not the same!!!!

This post has been edited by ironwasp: 28 October 2006 - 05:16 PM

i will give up my marker only after you pry my cold rigid fingers from the trigger

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users