#1 User is offline   Lomarandil 

• SPPL Junkie -- BlackLight Company
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Lomarandil

Posted 10 August 2008 - 07:03 PM

Hmmm.. where to start.

First of all, because this will be long, and people won't read the whole thing:

This qualifier flat out rocked. The weather, I'll get into, but the field was amazing, and the ref staff was top notch.. Either on par with Irregulators and 5150 or very close to it.

There were four teams in attendance. Almost Famous was a compilation local team that played Elite, Ghost Recon played Masters, Black Light Company is a rookie team, but played Masters for this qual to make scheduling simpler, and Maddmann had a team in Masters.

We walked the field the day before.. and at first, I was apprehensive. It was set up a bit differently (the main bases were actually on the far corners of adjacent sides of the field, with the swing off in the other corner), and it seemed that the lower main base of the two had a ton of advantages. But, this field was honestly the best I have ever played! Had a great mix of hard bunkers on the lower side and woods on the hill, great little paths and such, plenty of room to shoot, but enough small cover to screen things. Beyond that, the field staff were superb (big thumbs up to Galen on that one) and put up with the rain all day to make sure the event went on.

Did I say rain? That might have been an understatement.

It rained from steadily to occasionally pouring right up until the end of the last game. This caused all sorts of marker issues and mud, but that can't really be helped. It really changed the dynamic of the day, trying to sneak through the woods when you couldn't clearly see more than 40 feet in front of you at best. But, as I said, nothing you can do about it, and it was honestly the only big downer on the day.

I guested with Black Light Company for this qualifier, and first of all, I have to thank them for allowing me to play alongside them and putting up with my antics and really, really bad jokes... and the afro. You guys rock.. and I'll run with you anytime. Even that one "Air Force Guy" :)

Our first game was against the Maddmann team. They were a brand new team to the SPPL, so before the game, we did our best to let them know what was going on and what strategies to try and such.. they even brought out a few kids who were so very excited to play.. kudos! Hope the kids come back out!

While my memory is fuzzy, BLC won the game with a good margin. (~160-40?). I spent most of the game crawling through the upper woods, creating angles and loosing 2 barrel socks, a squeegie, and two pods of paint in the process.. LOL.. After their initial setback, the Maddman guys dug in to defend their flag, and did a great job of it.. I had a ton of trouble trying to get through that. Also, kudos to the older gent in the ghillie, after the half he took out most of our hillside guys and snuck through to pull our flag for the last few minutes.. Kudos sir! (incidentally, I found my first ever capture objective in this game... yay!)

The second game we played was against the Elite Team, Almost Famous. While I'd love to say we put up a fight.... well.. we couldn't do much. You guys were just that good. I sneaked around in the woods again, and found another objective, but Almost Famous really controlled the rest of the field most of the time. We were able to hold our base flag in the second half, thankfully.. I also tried to apply that rule about being allowed to verbally misrepresent my team color.. problem was that Galen was too smart, took the time to verify, and also got three players with angles on me in the meantime. Dang. :). Despite being tromped (for some reason, they wouldn't take our advice to offer their surrender?) it was a fun game, and the Almost Famous guys all gave us advice and tips and observations after the game. Great group of guys.. Even Bass.. who forgot the beer.

And our third and final game was against Ghost Recon for the Masters championship. I can't say much about this game. My role was to run out to the hill corner off the break and flush out the pair of defenders there. Yup.. flushed them out... that was the plan.. uh huh...

Ok, so I got shot... my mask fogged thereafter, so I was the BLC podmonkey the rest of the game, and got to talk to Steve, the awesome base ref... who shared my love of playing pump (got to keep my streak of 3 consecutive SPPL quals playing pump.. haha!). I'm sure somebody who was out on the field more could elaborate on this game, but in the long run, BLC defeated Ghost Recon to take home the bacon.

Sooo....

Results
Almost Famous (Elite) 1st

Masters
Black Light Company 1st
Ghost Recon 2nd
kind of

Sportsmanship
Almost Famous

Thanks again to all the teams out there, it was a pleasure playing with you!

Big thumbs up to Galen, Jayson, and Curtis, who made for a phenomonal event!

Huge props to the refs who stuck it out in the miserable rain!

And I can't wait to play against you all again!

Ian "Lo" Ebersole

This post has been edited by PaleRider: 11 August 2008 - 06:23 AM

#2 User is offline   Clementcrew 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 11 August 2008 - 02:45 AM

nice recap^,I played with almost famous and I got home with someones pack, there was alot of people at my area so Im not sure whos it could be.If you lost yours post up and Ill get it back to ya.
rally round the family

#3 Guest_PaleRider_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 11 August 2008 - 06:23 AM

This Field has the potential to be one of our best events. Good facilities with lodging, restaurants and services just 15-20 min away and the Field owner and his staff are outstanding. The KC airport is a short hour drive. the is more than enough room for 2 fields and 16 plus teams. I hope we can go there again next year.

The staff and refs provided for this event were among the top 2-3 fields we visit. From the moment we arrived at the field they helped set up everything. I have no reservations about this field. If you live within 2-3 hours of this field, you should play there.

Kudos to my ref staff, They had a totally new dynamic to contend with in the pouring rain. Nothing was dry... there was no way to keep dry. Mud 3-4 inches deep, players sliding around like they were on rails. Both hey stuck it out all day in a monsoon and with few complaints. They had the most difficult of circumstance to ref in and gave an out standing effort.

Props to the 3 teams that stayed and finished the event, I don't know what kept you guys on the field....but thanks you for your support.

#4 User is offline   Schwimmy 

• Yes, that is my Phantom on my back.
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Schwimmy

Posted 11 August 2008 - 08:32 AM

Steve goes crazy with that pump, Lo: http://www.viddler.c...immy/videos/25/

Anyone got any pics?
Triad Infinite Scenario Squad

Sponsored by www.ANSgear.com

#5 User is offline   Lomarandil 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 August 2008 - 08:37 AM

There weren't many on field pictures, due to the rain.. One person was out there with a point and shoot, but she came back in pretty fast.. I've got a few post-event pictures, and one of the guys from Almost Famous got the rest.. because I left my camera on all day. DOH!

Lo

#6 Guest_PaleRider_*

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:37 AM

View PostSchwimmy, on Aug 11 2008, 09:32 AM, said:

Steve goes crazy with that pump, Lo: http://www.viddler.c...immy/videos/25/
Anyone got any pics?

No one had an underwater camera. LOL

#7 User is offline   Lomarandil 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 August 2008 - 04:04 PM

This qualifier made the following question valid:

Are you winning because you've swept the opposing team off the field, or are they winning because they're in the covered deadbox and you're in the rain for another 8 minutes? ;)

Lo

#8 User is offline   Acara 

• Elite Broadsword
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Acara

Posted 11 August 2008 - 05:01 PM

View PostLomarandil, on Aug 11 2008, 04:04 PM, said:

This qualifier made the following question valid:

Are you winning because you've swept the opposing team off the field, or are they winning because they're in the covered deadbox and you're in the rain for another 8 minutes? :D

Lo

Ahh ...a Jacques Cousteau invitational .... I love those :happy:

#9 User is offline   billybob 

• The John Deere of paintball. Nothing mows as nice.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Location:Leavenworth County Kansas, everyone's a prisoner here
  • Brigade Name:billybob

Posted 11 August 2008 - 05:24 PM

Personally I liked the rain except for the fact that I couldn't see where I was going most of the time. Lo pretty much summed it up. Everyone on the Ghost Recon Masters team played their first SPPL games on Saturday and there's a few of us who don't play together very often. I know our team will put up a better fight next time. We just need a little experience. Being a captain isn't easy as I now know. Trying to get everyone organized and trying to help them with gear problems, making sure they FOLLOW THE RULES exactly as they're written, all while trying to keep your own equipment running (my Angel let me down in the final game and I had to pick up the LAW for the first time ever) is a daunting task.

I hope the SPPL is able to make it back to Kansas next year. We'll definitely try to get some more local teams organized to play. I know of at least 3 upstart teams that were trying to get a team together but just couldn't do it.
"Life sucks" ~LT
"What the Hell? Is Abercrombie making people now!!!?"~ Vash

#10 User is offline   SEKTape 

• Sweeper
  • Pip

Posted 11 August 2008 - 08:23 PM

View PostSchwimmy, on Aug 11 2008, 08:32 AM, said:

Steve goes crazy with that pump

Ah Steve, one of the greatest dance fighters I've every seen. :P That's my Phantom he's shooting, though.

Anyway, SPPL. I think I'm the only DZ ref on this forum, so I'll presume to speak for all of us and try not to say anything too controversial. :P Thanks to everyone who came out and played; adverse conditions are frustrating, but the players have a huge hand in determining how an event plays out. As difficult as the field conditions were, the players did everything they could to help things run smoothly. Big props go to Curtis and Jayson, for rolling with the punches and keeping the event going. We look forward to having the SPPL come back next year, and we'll do it bigger and better (and drier).
"Arrogance on the part of the meritorious is even more offensive to us than the arrogance of those without merit: for merit itself is offensive."
-Friedrch Nietzsche

"To love is to protect. To protect is to never betray."
-Brandon Heat

#11 User is offline   Swamp Thing 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SwampThing666

Posted 12 August 2008 - 08:46 AM

I never picked up on the fact that this game was happening and the OK game was canceled.

If they have this game at a similar time next year I think that there is a high likelyhood my team will be there.

We have kids in highschool and getting out for the Sept TN game is a problem.

Swamp
Captain Underground Mod Shop Special Operations Guerrillas U.M.S.S.O.G.
SPPL 2nd Place Rookie Division 2008 @ Bearclaw
Executive Officer of the 352nd Panzenjagers OK D Day (2008)
CO of the 709th Artillerie Regiment, OK D Day (2009)

#12 User is offline   Carbide 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 12 August 2008 - 09:53 AM

Can you do it tick free as well as rain free?

Event was great, would have been better if the rain had let up. Field was awesome, Field staff was great. As always it was nice to put some faces to names.

Curtis, you claimed that you could stop the rain and control the weather... if it rains in Georgia I'm going to let Lo run the rocket launcher...

Being a captain isn't easy as I now know. Trying to get everyone organized

Wait till you get to go out of state for an event. :rolleyes:

I act as the off field captain and Cage is our on field commander, more than once he said to me off field "hey Carbide time for you to herd cats... again"

Billybob, I never saw the final scores only the win-loss records but I think that Almost Famous beat us by about the same amount that we beat you guys. This was our second qualifier this year, and most of us have been playing paintball together for over a year. We are practicing with the intent of winning the rookie division, which means that we are trying to play at a masters level. I hope that you guys took a lot from your games I know that we did.
Founding Member of the MOTO Coalition - MOTO Callsign: Hopper
MOTO: Pointing out what you already knew since 2006
Also Known as Griffen

#13 User is offline   Acara 

• Elite Broadsword
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Acara

Posted 12 August 2008 - 12:12 PM

View PostSwamp Thing, on Aug 12 2008, 08:46 AM, said:

If they have this game at a similar time next year I think that there is a high likelyhood my team will be there.

We have kids in highschool and getting out for the Sept TN game is a problem.

Swamp

Same here...planning September has been a logistics nightmare, especially since it's out of state for us.

DropZone has a good rep, so I think everyone will consider it as a viable venue next year.

#14 User is offline   billybob 

• The John Deere of paintball. Nothing mows as nice.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Location:Leavenworth County Kansas, everyone's a prisoner here
  • Brigade Name:billybob

Posted 12 August 2008 - 01:05 PM

I'm not too sure of the final scores myself. I know that we scored 22 points against Almost Famous and I hear they gave you guys quite a beating, but knowing everyone that's on Almost Famous I'm not suprised that they kicked everyones' butts. It really is quite an all star type of team packed with SPPL vets and some NPPL division 2(?) vets. I was told that BLC beat us by 40 points. I guess we won't know for sure unless Schloob can post the results for us.
"Life sucks" ~LT
"What the Hell? Is Abercrombie making people now!!!?"~ Vash

#15 Guest_PaleRider_*

Posted 12 August 2008 - 02:23 PM

View PostCarbide, on Aug 12 2008, 10:53 AM, said:

Curtis, you claimed that you could stop the rain and control the weather...

...I never saw the final scores only the win-loss records

I did stop the rain....I got on a plane and came back to Utah and it stopped :huh:

about the score sheets ..... they were really wet, we did get them added up and
we know who won, I'll have to see if they survived and get some final numbers.

I too would like to see Drop Zone again next year. But it's gota have more
than 4 teams. a lot more

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users