Special Ops Paintball: Ghillie Colour - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ghillie Colour Which colours would be right for my environment? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   EthanB08 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:ETHANB

Posted 27 May 2008 - 06:24 PM

Well im making a ghillie and i was wondering if you guys have any idea of what colour my ghillie should be for my usual paintballing environment? Im thinking maybe a tan as a base colour with some green and brown then add foilage as needed. However im not sure if the base colour being tan then having it covered in green foilage would blend in good in the green spots of the environment. Any help would be great. Thank you in advanced.
This is a colage of my environment:
Attached File  Ghillie_Environment.JPG (352.71K)
Number of downloads: 18
Spetsnaz, When the only way to kill a terrorist is by a backflipping hatchet attack.

#2 User is offline   Gilla 

• Action shot!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:gilla

Posted 27 May 2008 - 06:33 PM

I'm thinking a base of light green with highlights of darker green, gray, and brown. The thing with ghillie is once out in the field your going to further blend it each day to suit your environment. The usual ground cover in your pictures is a faded green so that would be a good base I think.
Who flung poo?

#3 User is offline   Elmer 

• Its Paintball Season!
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Elmer

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:26 AM

A color that looks good soaked in sweat would be a good start. No matter how light Gilla has been able to make his suits, it seems that at the end of the game he looks like he has stepped out of a sauna.

Good luck with your project:)
Elmer J. Fudd
"I own a Tippmann and some shot."

#4 User is offline   Explosive 

• Sabre/Sneaking Guy for Xtreme Fanatics
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:-XF-Explosive

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:46 AM

take the colors in your photos and buy jute pre-dyed colors that match your surroundings as close as possible. Ebay sells the stuff and shows you samples of JUTE colors.

I'd suggest working the colors into your suit in patch areas. Especially the area you're in and what I see from the photos.
for example: right calf tans, some shade of a brown, but upper right leg, some pale greens with sporadic tan mixed in.

Upper body (shoulders, head) use a lot of rich greens that match up best to the vegetation of the bushes and trees.

I STILL feel it's important to use a little ground color mixed in with head piece/shoulders though, so use a bit here and there.

make your back look like the ground and IF anything on the front, keep it looking like the rich greens of the bushes etc.

Lower legs front I generally like to keep looking like the ground (kneeling shooting position). If you're front is all dark
you become a shape. In the kneeling shooting position you might look like a stump if there's not enough color break up.

Post up some photos when your project is complete. B)

#5 User is offline   EthanB08 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 28 May 2008 - 07:57 PM

I suppose i should of mentioned some more details, its going to be a ghillie that just has buralp on the back so i can crawl in it, and also i just shreded tons of burlap, so im not sure if i want to just go out and buy some predyed jute. lol. But ill definatley post pics when its done. Btw im using Rit dye and i was wondering if i mixed some yellow with the green dye if it would be a brighter green, because the green ive got is very dark and torquioseish in some light. Plus all the grassy areas are like pure tan grass under the growth of some new green grass ontop ... so i was wondering if maybe dying it mostly tan and light green with a minimum of dark green and brown and then taking green folage and just loading it up would be sufficent? anyways thanks for the Help, ill probably start dyeing burlap this week and perhaps post some pics on what i get from some test dyes, unless im busy building my other paintball courses and guitar. Anyways thanks for the help. Its much appreciated.
Spetsnaz, When the only way to kill a terrorist is by a backflipping hatchet attack.

#6 User is offline   sniper33 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:neverseemecomin

Posted 28 May 2008 - 08:12 PM

i think you shouldnt post something if ur not willing to take our advice dumb noob

#7 User is offline   Explosive 

• PipPipPip

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:35 PM

View PostEthanB08, on May 28 2008, 10:57 PM, said:

I suppose i should of mentioned some more details, its going to be a ghillie that just has buralp on the back so i can crawl in it, and also i just shreded tons of burlap, so im not sure if i want to just go out and buy some predyed jute. lol. But ill definatley post pics when its done. Btw im using Rit dye and i was wondering if i mixed some yellow with the green dye if it would be a brighter green, because the green ive got is very dark and torquioseish in some light. Plus all the grassy areas are like pure tan grass under the growth of some new green grass ontop ... so i was wondering if maybe dying it mostly tan and light green with a minimum of dark green and brown and then taking green folage and just loading it up would be sufficent? anyways thanks for the Help, ill probably start dyeing burlap this week and perhaps post some pics on what i get from some test dyes, unless im busy building my other paintball courses and guitar. Anyways thanks for the help. Its much appreciated.

yes...now you're thinking. Honestly, I use to mix the colors up, because straight green rite dye has a blueish tint to it.

ADD TAN to that green and you'll get an olive color.
ADD some yellow, tan and that green and you get a foliage light green. (when using beige burlap)
ADD brown to the green and get forest type green.
MIX that up for shades in between

it takes some experimenting to get a feel for the right mixing of colors and the time frame you leave the burlap in.
I use to stir the burlap with a wooden yard stick in 5 gallon buckets.

PLEASE DON'T use the turquoise stripes of burlap on your ghillie. I vomit in my mouth when I see people in ghillies at the field and they shades of blue in their suits.

I didn't say put burlap on your belly. I would cover your arms, shoulders, and portions of your front leg. That suggestion just comes from experience.

#8 User is offline   EthanB08 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 29 May 2008 - 06:25 PM

Sniper33, I never said I wasnt gonna use their ideas, I did mention I already have tons of burlap hence no need to buy more, also the pictures dont justify the amount of tan in the environment. BTW what do you mean our advice? I didnt see you contributing... Unless you think of this site as a close community (Im not saying its not) and your allowed to take credit for others tips and ideas... anyways im not here to argue im here to learn. So Explosive where on the legs are you saying should be covered? Also thanks for the dying tips. I mean I love the colour blue, so hard to resist a tourquios. lol. just kidding.

This post has been edited by EthanB08: 29 May 2008 - 06:27 PM

#9 User is offline   Explosive 

• PipPipPip

Posted 30 May 2008 - 05:37 AM

View PostEthanB08, on May 29 2008, 09:25 PM, said:

So Explosive where on the legs are you saying should be covered? Also thanks for the dying tips. I mean I love the colour blue, so hard to resist a tourquios. lol. just kidding.

below the knees (shins) and all the around to the back of the legs. keep the material there shorter than other areas on the suit, but far enough down to hang a little over your shoes. You just don't want to be tripping on burlap while you play.

If you plan on crawling a lot, then covering the lower legs only won't cause any problems.

as far turquoise, gag! :happy: :laugh:

If there's a lot of tan in your environment, then by all means use a lot of tan. You know your field of operation best! Just use your judgment to tailor a suit that works best.

trail and error makes it better!

happy :wacko: making!

#10 User is offline   EthanB08 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 30 May 2008 - 09:50 PM

Well im gonna start dying and tying, saturday or sunday thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it all.

#11 User is offline   lycanthrope 

• I always post in the Lounge! *thumbs up*
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:soleil

Posted 30 May 2008 - 09:56 PM

View Postsniper33, on May 28 2008, 11:12 PM, said:

i think you shouldnt post something if ur not willing to take our advice dumb noob

lol fail

good luck with your ghillie making!
Tippmann Owner #89 :)
if your parents dont buy your gear, put this in your sig.

#12 User is offline   Knightwolf16 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Knightwolf16

Posted 02 June 2008 - 03:47 AM

For you base color, look at what the under growth and ground color looks like and base it off that. When you get out on the field, take some of the local foliage and ground litter and mix it in to really adjust it to your surroundings.
"Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war." William Shakespeare
Nous sommes les seigneurs de la guerre, tremblons avant nous
The Lords of War The Lords of War on MySpace The Lords of War MSN Group Page

#13 User is offline   EthanB08 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 03 June 2008 - 07:32 PM

Thanks I'm still open to many suggestions. I havn't dyed my burlap yet, as this months been busy for me, but I did some dye mixing tests I'm satisfied with. Anyways thanks for suggestions and just for the record I will probably start dying burlap this upcoming week or the one after. I'll post some pics and maybe give some instructions on my style of Ghillie suit and my special idea, as I find it to be a little bit unique as I havn't seen or heard of something similar, but that will be a secret until its done.

#14 User is offline   EthanB08 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 08 June 2008 - 09:24 PM

Well I finished dyeing my burlap, and I started tying it on to the pants and well this is what I got so far. I think it blends in quite well without vegitation, I can't wait until I get to use it in the feild though with some vegitation!

Attached File  Ghillie_pants_june_08__2008.JPG (235.2K)
Number of downloads: 3

#15 User is offline   thisissparta 

• Tonight, We Dine In Heck!!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:thisissparta

Posted 08 June 2008 - 09:34 PM

View Postsniper33, on May 28 2008, 08:12 PM, said:

you're not going to get very far in this forum with that attitude. Please don't be disrespectful and flame. You will be warned.

Good job with the blending! once you mud-wash* it it will blend so well if you went to take that pic again, you wouldn't be able to find it.
*in case you don't know, you need to take the ghillie, and drag it through a patch of mud to take the slight shine of the burlap out and dull the colors.

:hawaiian:
The Spartan Armory: 98 Custom, Spyder e99 Avant, Tippmann A5, PMI-1, Splatmaster, SL-68 II, Classic Mag, Nel-Spot 007, WGP Sniper II (~95), DM5, SL-68II, Dye Reflex, Sideline Duckslide, Pro-Carbine, Piranha LB, Splatmaster, PG convert, Tippmann Pro-Lite, K-Framed Palmer's Paladin, T8 with TRG and milling work, SA-8, Gargantom, Custom Cocker
Feedback: SO Forum (+13/-0) MCB: (+24/-0) I love Kaesie. Fact: I am a ninja.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users