Special Ops Paintball: MultiCam shots - no hangars. Promise! - Special Ops Paintball

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

MultiCam shots - no hangars. Promise! Matching gun and gear. Field Test.

#16 User is offline   Kontract Killa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Kontract Killa

Posted 10 May 2008 - 06:58 PM

Ah Warden, always the critic. I have to agree with one point, though. The eye is drawn to the unusually light or dark, such as black or white. I love Multicam, have never tried it, but have seen it work. I use MARPAT, and i have my doubts in its versatility. I also agree with the fact that there is no perfect camo, I would Wear Tiger Stripe in a heavy forest with lots of shadows, and Multicam in a lighter forest or field, and would leave the ACU in the car during the whole thing. I too saw you in all of the pictures, but i am not on the field with you, and you are not trying to be concealed. This makes a big difference. I probably would have seen you, but it would take a me a little bit. I must admit im a bit hipocritical, I also wear a white Event mask and Urban camo pants with a black shirt a gear. You want to know how bad i stand out?
The Free 19th.

#17 User is offline   Hells Punisher 

• Crazy Puppy
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:/Punisher\

Posted 11 May 2008 - 10:07 AM

Charlie-Echo is the camo god! Warden Wolf is right the envoriment was to dark
If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
StealingYerMail - It probably is. But a small amount of OCD + bass player = better bass player
Sniper #38

#18 User is offline   ranger111133 

• the powdered sugar king!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ranger111133

Posted 11 May 2008 - 12:12 PM

pretty nice.....i only couldn't find you in one pic

#19 User is offline   Long Wood 

• Most people swear by there A-5 I tend to swear at mine instead.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:BOB LONG

Posted 16 June 2008 - 07:59 AM

I Used my Multicam yesterday and i really liked it, it blended in really well, but it tends to hold the paint's color.

#20 User is offline   Twigz 

• That Skinny Kid In ACU's
  • Pip

Posted 16 June 2008 - 08:25 AM

This is why I don't wear camoflauge. At a big name you don't camoflauge because by the time they are close enough to see you in it you are already shooting each other...

#21 User is offline   BAGELS 

• good stuff^
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I3agels

Posted 16 June 2008 - 03:18 PM

I also agree that multicam did not match in that environment. The greens were off and the brown was off too. Omnipat would of blended into that environment much better. And with that other picture, Omnipat does not have the right brown or greens, making multicam the superior pattern for that environment.

What do you think would happen if Tiger stripe was shrunk down? Would it make it a better close range pattern?

For now, I will stick to my invisibility cloak.

THE INVISI-SIG!
I have no sig, because I am cool like that.
I love my phantom, because it is cool like that....schweet

#22 User is offline   UV Halo 

• Blacklight Baller
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:UV Halo

Posted 16 June 2008 - 07:41 PM

Looking at these pics versus ones I've seen in other places (including the manufacturers website), I have to say that the multi-cam did a very good job of reflecting the greens of the surrounding vegetation. Especially if you look at the final pic (close-up with vest clearly visible), I've never seen a set of multi-cams look that green. That's how all these camos (omnipat, multi-cam, ACU, primarily) are supposed to work- by using neutral tones they are supposed to reflect the colors of the environment they are in.

Now, here's where I step back and take a shot at all photo/web-based camouflage advertisements and reviews.

They are next to worthless. From a spectral standpoint, even the highest-end electro-optics have a hard time recording a scene as the human eye would. Compounding this problem is that the human eye can differentiate far more shades of green than the typical CCD/CMOS sensor found in consumer cameras. Then, each manufacturer uses their own processing algorithms inside the camera to make the images more 'aesthetically pleasing' as the RAW image data is converted to the compressed format that you find on the removable memory (i.e. JPEG, TIFF, etc). Then, assuming the photographer does no photo editing (i.e. color balance, saturation, contrast, etc), and posts it online, 95% of the people viewing them are going to be looking at them through uncalibrated monitors. Now, some of these problems can be mitigated (i.e. if your camera outputs in RAW mode and, you can get the necessary info for your camera and lens, you can restore the proper color balance to your pictures).

Now, that's just the start. Comparing camos in dissimilar manners is not a level playing field. I mean, in order to compare between two camouflage types, you need to setup the camouflaged objects (and they should be identical) in the exact same positions, shooting from the same angle, within minutes (because, you only have to watch a time-lapse of a given scene to see how much the colors within a scene change within an hour) and they have to be done with the same, color calibrated camera, with no post processing. Then, all the recipients of these photos need to have their monitors calibrated with a colorometer (i.e. ColorVision Monitor Spyder). Then, the photos may be useful.

And finally, I agree with all the earlier posters that say in regards to camouflage, it's all in how you use it. I use ACU in the fall and winter and specops digi in the summer here in Northern VA, with a little bit of camou netting (like the specops AG Ghilly stuff) to cover my head, and I have a pretty strong reputation here for being a stalker/sniper type. Personally, I let the loons romping around in their ghilly (in a 15min match) get close enough to me for a definite headshot- find something you're similar in color to, get up close to it and stay absolutely still (when you think eyes may be looking in your direction).

This post has been edited by UV Halo: 16 June 2008 - 07:42 PM

#23 User is offline   BAGELS 

• good stuff^
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2008 - 08:05 PM

good advice, but that 2nd paragraph had too much tech stuff in it for me. I got the first few sentences, but I already had a siimilar belief.

THE INVISI-SIG!

#24 User is offline   Charlie Echo 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Charlie Echo

Posted 18 June 2008 - 10:46 PM

Basically it says if you have a crappy uncalibrated monitor that does not meet the standards of professional use, you have no business stating an opinion regarding the performance of camoflage. (Well, I added that last part). And it says that any photo can not capture what you would see in real life.

Ah, UV Halo. You speak-a-ma language! I am just a creative type end user, at first i might guess you are a photographer but now I am thinking you are more of a specialized technician in imaging or video production.

None the less, I think alot of the young folks are missing my point. You can't critique camo from viewing pictures. It has to be field tested. I am so tired of hearing in other threads (and this one) "that the environment is too dark or too light". As-if, I could just go into photoshop during a game and lighten the trees or make everything more green. I mean, that is just not real world.I should have made my review more scientific in approach. I think I missed the mark in attempting to make real world... unbiased images.
I was hoping this review would help people see what you can REALLY expect from MultiCam. AVERAGE! Given my 75 feet and less rating.

However, I love the pattern. It's my favorite. I prefer to stick with one pattern. The environment you see is not my main. I have so many areas to play and so many variations. And I play MULTI positions. I hope this does let you MultiCam fans down, but I like MC purely for aesthetic reasons (looks dang cool and tough as heck to get a paint match) and color versatility. I can't go brown (or OmniPat), I play in a lot of green patches also.

twigs, I agree with you. To demonstrate, and I have only heard legends of this guy in my area who dresses up like the Chik-a-filet cow. He is a lone wolf and is always flanking at big games. Tons of eliminations, though he is often outnumbered.

Oh yeah, I only had my vest on in the last shot - the closeup.

anyway, feel free to agree or disagree. I seem to be getting a lot of both. :wacko:

This post has been edited by Charlie Echo: 18 June 2008 - 11:03 PM

#25 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 June 2008 - 08:15 AM

If I'm trotting thru the forest on my way to an objective, not actively looking for any enemies, you would've had me in all those photos (well, except for the one w/ your back turned!). Now, if I were squatting & looking I'm sure I would've found you in all but the long distance one. "Your outfit looks fabulous!" Ok, that was a bit femme... seriously, Multicam does rock. I own set & love it.

I think as forum members, while viewing photos like this, we need to take them w/ a "grain-of-salt" if you will. They in no way mimic real life while playing. Like it's been written already: things are different when you have the goggles on, your heart is pounding, the adreneline is rushing, and your so out of shape the sound of you huffin' n' puffin' seems to drown every other sound out (that last one may only apply to me, but you get the picture). You don't have the luxury of sitting in your air conditioned house staring at a monitor for a few moments, you have to make snap decisions. Honestly, none of us are perfect, regardless of what we like to write on here about how amazing we are at paintball, or how we see things coming 100 yards away. We've all been shot from our flank by someone we overlooked, and if you haven't, you haven't played enough.

The pics look fine, your setup looks better. Nice job so far. Now, get your butt to the WTB forum & get a Multicam vest, there's atleast 3 on the first page!
ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#26 User is offline   Charlie Echo 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Charlie Echo

Posted 21 June 2008 - 07:57 PM

Ger, excuse my ignorance, but ever heard of wtb, but I am so hooked on SO/Tippman vests. I will check that out though. I would like a MC SO vest, but that probably would be a conflict of interest business wise for SO. I just got my vest, too. Shame it is Woodland.

I just don't know why SO went with a digital pattern for an MC knockoff in the first place? Digital (as I understand it) was develop for concealment when viewed with digital equipment such as monitors and electronically aided optics. Maybe it was the cheapest option, but in my opinion, digital does not work with the the MultiCam pattern which was specifically designed, and that is why they have it protected because they have so much invested. So how much would a MC vest cost after you pay all the royalties? What do you guys think. Should or could Spec Ops get MC for their products also?

#27 User is offline   Nick Landon 

• X7OG's Multicam Vest Guy
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Nighthawk9

Posted 22 June 2008 - 08:24 PM

I'll admit, it would be really nice if Special Ops made Multicam gear but I know for a fact that they can't. I too own a full set of multicam gear and just like everyone else, wanted a matching vest. I sent Chad of Spec Ops an e-mail, (he's the custom vest guy) and asked if he could make one for me. Due to Crye Precision's pattents, SO/Tipp can NOT, I repeat, can NOT make multicam gear. So sorry to any of you hopefulls. I wasn't going to take no for an answer however, and so I made one myself. Now I know everyone is thinking... "What?! That thing is going to be a piece of crap." Trust me, it is not. I used all the exact same materials that SO/Tipp uses for their gear. (1000D cordura, nylon webbing, 100% nylon #68 thread, nylon binding tape, velcro, etc. It's covered in MOLLE and has interlock fronts, adjustable shoulders just like a broadsword vest, zippered front, name panel, everything. I copied the design of my S.O. digi broadsword vest but made it longer and skinnier. It's even got the same adjustable sides, belt keepers, and MOLLE pockets as SO/Tipp vests. I've had time to make the radio, tank, and a 2 pod holder pocket, but i'll finish everything soon. I'll post pictures if you guys want for all of the skeptics out there.
-You..You & You..Panic, The rest of you, follow me!
-If you don't cheat and play with integrity, put this in your sig!
-Pain heals, my girlfriend digs scars, glory lasts forever!

-Mormon Pride!!!!!!

#28 User is offline   FlamingoChavez 

• (insert title here)
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Rooster45

Posted 23 June 2008 - 06:01 AM

I think that both Omnipat and Multicam hit on one HUGE concept... dark camos rarely, if ever, work. When they do work, you're deep in the shadows, and you could be wearing neon green and achieve similar effects. If you you look at nature, most animals that rely on their camo have a distinctively light colored pattern.

Besides coloring, there is another debate going on here in the background that no one is really talking about, and thats the difference between micro and macro patterns. By this I classify multicam and woodland as a macro pattern, and digis as a micro. A macro's chunkier pattern, in my opinion, seems to blend in better at a distance because it doesn't blend together. If you look at someone from a distance wearing a digi pattern, they seem to blend in together in one greyish blob. However, a micro pattern works better when you are closer, and the definition between the colors is more noticeable.

I think the best pattern possible would be a mix between macro and micro designs. Have a macro pattern like multicam, or woodland of grouped colors in a digital pattern. So, there would be multiple greys, multiple greens, multiple browns etc. They would blend together at a distance, creating a macro pattern, and stand out more up close creating a micro pattern... just my 2 cents.

#29 User is offline   The Shepherd 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Shepherd

Posted 23 June 2008 - 08:33 AM

If you are looking for a camo for the lighted and bright green areas of those photos, then I suggest a SO Fusion 6. It's practicaly lime green. Really though, there are tons of shadows in those pictures, and plenty of places to hide in plain sight. Still on one photo you got skylined. You put yourself up against some of the lime green trees in a brown domiant camo. I think the above poster is right about "micro' to macro although i've never heard it called that before. Another thing we have to remember is that people's eyes work differently. From my birth till now, i've sometimes wondered about eyes and sight. My question which was always met with blank stares from my teachers was this; "Do people see the same colors as I do?" What I mean't was, if I see red, do you see purple, but think its red because your red is my purple, due to the fact that we see colors differently. As I learned at junior high, visable light is reflected, not abosorbed, (I know most is abosorbed, don't bite my head off). Then I learned that people have varying rod sizes, which enable them to see color. With this, I was able to email Princeton, and they responded; That people will see colors differently, but the actual brightness, and tone will be the same. So as a brown, it can be anyone of an infinte number of shades. With that in mind, since there are a infinite number of numbers, there can be a infinte number of people, any at least one will see every type of the color brown. The point is, people's eyesx work differently, and as such different things will work better on some. Like realtree for exaple. People say it works, but i've never seen it work. I always find it, it just stands out to me. Maybe because the rod that absorbs brown light for me is hype sensative or something, but no one can hide from me pressed against a tree. No matter what camo they have.

#30 User is offline   BAGELS 

• good stuff^
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:23 AM

WOW, I always thought the same thing about peoples eyes and what colors they really see.
I would love to see multicam an omnipat put together into one pattern.

THE INVISI-SIG!

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users