Knee Surgery? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   82ndx 

• Facta Non Verba
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:82ndx

Posted 06 October 2009 - 11:39 PM

What's uppp all.

It has been awhile since I have been on the old forums. Even when I am on I am somewhat of a quiet one. How has it been? Good good. Hope everyone is enjoying the season, I for one am not.
It has been months since I have been on the field and it is starting to annoying. Not that is hasn't been for the last while but it is really bugging me now that there is a big game this weekend and I won't make it due to INJURY! Yuuup I have had a FUBARed knee since the end of March. Torn meniscus via moshpit (Four Year Strong, good band).
Soooo here's the deal, I'm asking y'all fine forum goers, not how to cope but what to think. It has certainly settled in that I'm out for awhile and at this rate it might not be till mid 2010 when I play again, it is not only paintball but pretty much everything. Anyone else gone through something similar to knee surgery? What should I expect in regards to downtime, recovery and what not? Get at me!

Anything to start a convo,
Doug

#2 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 07 October 2009 - 12:11 AM

Long rambling coming from someone who has been thru it tooo...warning.....

Been there, done that. Messed up my knee good three years back, a few days before christmas. Was off my legs for 3 months, rehabbing the next three months. Didn't hit a PB field for over a year and some months, and when i did, i was in god awful pain for 7 days later. Would walk with a limp for 5-6 days after still as well. Almost made me quit the sport for good. But it meant to much to me, so i kept at it til i could walk fine again.

I dislocated my kneecap, and when it relocated it broke off two chunks of bone off my femur and knee cap. They tried to pin the giant piece of bone back onto the femur, but it didn't take. And instead i had a huge chunk of bone floating around my knee for a year. God was that horribly painful. Especially cause i live on a third floor condo, and doing groceries or anything like that just meant i was going to be in horrible pain due to multiple triops up and down. Once they removed the bone fragment things got a million times better. You can still clearly hear my knee grind whenever i move it. If it is quiet in the room, it sounds really loud. DOctor did all he could to round out the bone properly. Said i am guarenteed arthritis in 5 years time, knee replacement in 20. Hopefully they have cybernetics by then and i can be like the Million Dollar Man.

Biggest tips i can give you....do ALL the exercises they give you in rehab. You need to relearn how to walk and such. Practice makes perfect. You need to rebuild all that muscle lost to atrophy in your leg. Those exercises will do that. DO THEM ALL. DO NOT SKIP OUT ON THEM. I cannot stress that enough. Even if it hurts, do it...it will sting like a mofo, but in the end it will help. I can almost bend my right knee as much as my left now, and it is only 1 cm smaller then my left (circumference around thigh/above knee area). That is considered a lot of loss still, but i can walk fine. Took me forever to feel safe walking again, and even longer to feel safe kneeling and crawling. But you can do it. Just keep up on the rehab.

I remember my first days of rehab. They put me on a stationary bike...i couldn't even do a full rotation forwards or backwards. Just about 1/2 rotation. But with each day of rehab, my knee got stronger and i got more motion. I was SOOOOO excited when after 4 days i could finally do a full rotation with my knee. Was going pretty good at full speed pedaling only a few days later. Just kept up with it. Soon i was walking fine without a cane or crutch.

I still need a cane from time to time, when my knee acts up. It has it's bad days. And i sometimes pop it out of the socket again. It feels awkward. Like i know it's popped, i heard the pop and can feel it. It isn't painful, just wierd feeling. Makes me hobble for a few days after. Usually only happens when i try to sit on the floor or get up off the floor. I used to keep doing what i was doing (sitting up or sitting down) despite the pop, figuring it will straigten out in the end, and it would. But damn would it hurt, and yeah...hobbling for days. Now i have learned if i feel it pop, just go back in reverse as to what i was doing and generally it will just slide back in place with little pain and i can walk fine again. So if i am standing up and it pops, just sit back down just like you stood up and it will be good again, usually.

Get a knee brace from/through your doctor. They will be life savers. The first one i got, my leg was still swollen, so by the time i used it a year later it was really loose. So after days of PB i would hobble around for 6-7 days later and be in god awful pain. I finally got one that fits right, and now i can walk fine even right after PB and don't hobble at all. :laugh: So make sure to get one that fits right and tight. It will make a HUGE difference.

Also, don't be afraid to keep a spare cane at work or somewhere. You never know when you will need it. I have one at home and one in the cublicle at work.

Ice the boink out of the knee whne you get home from surgery to keep the swelling down. I cannot stress that enough either.

If you need any help, or have any questions feel free to ask. Like i said, been there, done that. Was horribly painful, 2nd most painful thing to happen to me. And it takes time to recover, it isn't an overnight i am better kind of thing. It may take a year or more. Just keep up with the Rehab. You need to get as much motion back right away as you can or you may lose it for good. Even if it hurts, DO IT. I know leg raises (sit in a chair, lift/kick you straight up) were the most painful things in the world for me. I nearly cried doing them with weights. Made the dumb mistake of kickiing some ice right after rehab, wow did that hurt like a mother boinking female doggie. :(

AAlso don't be afraid to use the i have bad knees excuse for anything you don't want to do. Sometimes it works, and if you look sad over it...it works better. :D
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#3 User is offline   Tim Burton 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 07 October 2009 - 01:09 AM

Had my knee rebuilt after being passed around from doc to doc due to being considered a high risk patient. Took a year to get the surgery. I ended up needing a cane for the last six months before the surgery. Afterwards, I took another 6 months, which I needed a cane.

Do all the exercises they tell you to. Also, go to a pool in the evening and walk around in the shallow end for about an hour a night. It'll build strength, but more importantly will return your flexibility quicker.

Good luck, remember you just had one surgery, I've had 18 in the last 4 years (all were within a 3 year period).

This post has been edited by Tim Burton: 07 October 2009 - 01:36 AM

#4 User is offline   82ndx 

• Facta Non Verba
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:82ndx

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:56 PM

Thanks guys. Rehab should be a good opportunity to tune up all things as my knee heals.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users