Martial Arts

#16 User is offline   HeadshotPhantom 

• Rockin', Cockin', and Class Stockin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:HeadshotPhantom

Posted 01 May 2010 - 02:02 AM

View Postevillepaintball, on Apr 30 2010, 07:27 PM, said:

Headshot, my point was that defense is useful if you get attacked first. If you get jumped and can't defend, you're screwed. So unless you are going to just knock out everyone you see before they can attack you, you need defense.

Oh yea definitely. I guess I misunderstood your first post. You definitely need reflexes because when your opponents are attacking are often times your best opportunity to attack as well. And to MDK, you are right as well, but a lot of the attacks can be changed to lethal/non-lethal depending on the amount of force you apply as with any attack.

#17 User is offline   evillepaintball 

• You won't do it! You ain't crazy!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:sunshine ac-05

Posted 02 May 2010 - 11:33 AM

As far as military hand to hand goes, I can't speak for any of the other branches, but Army Combatives are entirely defensive. The philosophy behind it is to keep yourself alive until your buddy shows up and shoots your attacker.
"it just doesnt look cool unless you're riding a yamazuki zx1200rrr" - C9H13NO3

#18 User is offline   TheGhillieMan 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:TheGhillieMan

Posted 02 May 2010 - 02:50 PM

A few things.

I agree with what you said Phantom in that a lot of martial arts have become very watered down and focus just on the sport, where the most effective attacks aren't allowed (because people have to go to work the next day without taking any real damage). The unfortunate side effect is that in many schools, the techniques that were once used to deal effectively with an attacker are neglected in favor or sport and artsy sort of techniques that are more flash than substance.

That said, there are many schools that do not neglect those techniques. I left my Taekwondo school because it did neglect them in favor of the sport. My Hapkido school does not, there is no sport for us. That's why I really enjoy it. I'm not learning anything that isn't going to work when I need it to.

As for Krav Maga, I've heard nothing but good things about it. It doesn't care about traditions or anything or the sort. If it works, they use it. That's how I understand it at any rate. One of the people that I train with did an intensive seminar (something like 2 weeks, I'm not really clear on it) and he brought back some neat information. Also, considering that it comes from the Israeli military, I would kind of expect it to work really well.

Kuhapdo, as far as I understand it (I've only been doing it for a year) is very similar to Iaido. Everything that I have learned so far has come from Iaido, but it switches at some point to something more Korean. It's not very well known. I like it because I get good exercise doing it (swinging a sword around, even a wooden one, is a good workout) and it's very interesting in that some of the forms are almost meditative.
Posted Image

#19 User is offline   HeadshotPhantom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 May 2010 - 04:18 PM

View Postevillepaintball, on May 2 2010, 02:33 PM, said:

As far as military hand to hand goes, I can't speak for any of the other branches, but Army Combatives are entirely defensive. The philosophy behind it is to keep yourself alive until your buddy shows up and shoots your attacker.

Well MCMAP, Krav Maga, and other special forces units would obviously only imply hand to hand combat in the worst of situations...such as assuming you don't have a buddy, or they would have already shot your attacker. Besides, killing your attacker in the first 30 seconds is also a good defense. :D

#20 User is offline   MurderDeathKill 

• Spot 31
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MurderDeathKill

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:23 AM

View Postevillepaintball, on May 2 2010, 11:33 AM, said:

Air Force combatives (lol) are submission techniques mostly. So they work great when I do 'em, cuz I'm 200 pounds and 6'2" and I can impose my will on just about anybody. But yeah -- we pilots don't get into too many life-or-death fistfights, so maybe my opinion doesn't count in that regard.
Go Yoda -- I didn't order that!
Posted Image
T-6 A Texan II -- Vance AFB -- 71OTG Ghostriders -- 8FTS Ballers -- Cobra Flight

#21 User is offline   HeadshotPhantom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:47 AM

Submission moves for the Air Force would make sense as generally speaking the only hand to hand they would encounter would be police like situations with intruders on a base or disorderly conduct and the like. I doubt they'll have a towel-head with a machete coming at them, lol. My point is, is it's hard to win a fight with defense alone. And the truth of the matter is, even special forces units RARELY use hand to hand.

This post has been edited by HeadshotPhantom: 03 May 2010 - 11:49 AM

#22 User is offline   Iron__Man 

• My boomstick is bigger than yours...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Iron_Man

Posted 28 May 2010 - 12:19 PM

i took judo for about a year, did wrestling in highschool, and took ninjitsu and to shin do. so yea i am actually a trained ninja. it sounds korny, i know, but people just don't understand how deep that specific martial art goes. i can literally say i have first hand experience with the deadliest martial art known to man. the training involved stresses to the utmost how easy the techniques can be used to kill someone. not that i look forward to doing it, but as mentioned above, yes, if i fight, i plan to kill. why? for the simple fact that i consider myself well disciplined enough NOT to allow myself to be baited into a fight. but if i ever am, lets just say i already know who is gonna be walking away.

the kool think about ninjitsu is that pretty much every sequence has the opportunity to end someone. from the basic yellowbelt techniques up to the armed combative techniques. i have learned how to strangle someone with their own arm, among other "colorful" techniques. the neat thing about the art of ninjitsu is that it's very minimal in movement, and every movement has a purpose. it's not fancy at all, and very similar to some techniques employed by the us navy seals. i encourage people to study it, because the knowledge emparted is the knowledge that in a fight you have the power to walk away, and it conditions you to remember that at any time it could be you or the other guy.
Posted Image Posted Image
THE DEATH BUNNIES! - We hate your face!-

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users