Special Ops Paintball: .50 Cal Paint - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

.50 Cal Paint Rate Topic: -----

#16 User is offline   Ethrealwolf 

• If we must die, we will die. but we will never yield.
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:HALOWOLF

Posted 11 October 2009 - 05:45 PM

View PostThe Stuntman, on Oct 9 2009, 08:35 AM, said:

This whole concept needs to die.
We dont need it, we cant afford it, and there is no reason for it. The whole thing is a shameless ploy to make money.

JUST SAY NO TO .50 cal PAINTBALL

Friends dont let friends shoot .50 cal...

Don't be ignorant

This isn't being pushed as an overnight new standard. this is being promoted as a gradual, merit based change. Your .68 gear is not going to magically stop functioning, .68 paint will still be produced as long as it remains profitable for a company to do so, and there's no plan to stop producing .68 markers or gear on the table for any company that currently does so.

That said, the initial reports from third-party testers at cup are coming back that .50 has WORSE flight characteristics than .68, and that it's real advantages are it gets something like 400 rounds to a hopper and 350 to a pod. Not quite advantages that'd make me switch, but that no doubt appeals to some people who're after just that kind of thing, and aren't worried about the offset in performance of the paint once it's in the air.

As for why fix it if it aint broke- we're not 'fixing' anything. 'fixing' would imply that the old system (.68 in this case) suddenly became completely and irrevocably nonfunctional. It's not. What .50 is is another option, a different way of doing things. If it turns out they can get similar flight performance from the .50 paint as .68 currently delivers, then it'll eventually become the new standard. if they can't? then maybe it'll become a niche market, or die out completely.
We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
We ran to the sounds of the thunder.
We danced among the lightning bolts,
and tore the world asunder.

http://onpaintball.blogspot.com/

#17 User is offline   The Stuntman 

• I feel like I'm taking Crazy Pills!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:The Stuntman

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:33 PM

I just dont think the industry as a whole can afford a potentially expensive distraction right now. There's nothing with the current .68 call setup that needs to be changed, so it pointless to waste time with a project like this.
Yes, I am an old-school reactionary curmudgeon on this one. :(

#18 User is offline   silenthornet 

• Insert witty phrase here
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:silenthornet

Posted 11 October 2009 - 11:32 PM

I doubt the .50 caliber paintball will catch on any time soon, if at all. Unless the caliber proves to be significantly better than .68 rounds, whether in accuracy, durability, or cost, there will be no initiative to alter the entire industry to accommodate the new ball.

If it DID have an advantage, primarily in accuracy or durability, things might be different. If .50 caliber paint proves to be the premier sniper ammo, or capable of performing excellently in extreme weather conditions, the new design might become a niche market for those seeking top-notch performance. Like stock paintball, .50 may become a sub-category of paintball with its own small market.
It is dark. You are likely to be flanked.

#19 User is offline   Thumper113 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ace0rz

Posted 12 October 2009 - 12:37 AM

i heard the new MR4 will shoot .50 cal...
Special Ops Paintball Elite - Earned at Living Legends 3
Paintball Explosion
FTP inc.

#20 User is offline   Tim Burton 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 12 October 2009 - 11:55 PM

View PostEthrealwolf, on Oct 11 2009, 05:45 PM, said:

We dont need it, we cant afford it, and there is no reason for it. The whole thing is a shameless ploy to make money.

Don't be ignorant

This isn't being pushed as an overnight new standard. this is being promoted as a gradual, merit based change. Your .68 gear is not going to magically stop functioning, .68 paint will still be produced as long as it remains profitable for a company to do so, and there's no plan to stop producing .68 markers or gear on the table for any company that currently does so.

Exactly, this is a long term change that can ultimately be an improvement. It isn't mandatory and people shouldn't complain about it either. After all, it is no different than computers. People don't complain having to upgrade a computer every 2-3 years. Yet they are complaining about a one time upgrade that will improve the game (longer engagements provide for more realistic play and require better use of tactics and greater ability to hide). It is a bad time to upgrade? I'd be lying if I said it wasn't. The point is that when the economy turns around (after we follow the Austrian economic model), this will be in position to improve the game and make in-roads.

That said, the initial reports from third-party testers at cup are coming back that .50 has WORSE flight characteristics than .68, and that it's real advantages are it gets something like 400 rounds to a hopper and 350 to a pod. Not quite advantages that'd make me switch, but that no doubt appeals to some people who're after just that kind of thing, and aren't worried about the offset in performance of the paint once it's in the air.

True, but again this is an issue that is caused by it being shot at 300 fps. I'd like to see what people say if it was shot at 450+. I hope insurance companies are open to the increase and are testing it.

As for why fix it if it aint broke- we're not 'fixing' anything. 'fixing' would imply that the old system (.68 in this case) suddenly became completely and irrevocably nonfunctional. It's not. What .50 is is another option, a different way of doing things. If it turns out they can get similar flight performance from the .50 paint as .68 currently delivers, then it'll eventually become the new standard. if they can't? then maybe it'll become a niche market, or die out completely.

True.

#21 User is offline   BlackOutJen 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:BlackOut

Posted 17 October 2009 - 02:34 PM

Yea thats just taking it too far but maybe a good thing in a way.

#22 User is offline   NJCOUSINS 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 24 October 2009 - 10:25 AM

I see the 50 as a possible field saver for some pb play sites. I don't see a problem with offering both 68 and 50 to our players .
If I can buy good reliable rental guns that are shooting 50 cal and offer them to my private party's and (gasp) I can maybe make an extra 10.00 a case on FPO (gasp).

I will always have 68 cal but liking the option to shoot 50 as well.

#23 User is offline   CptObvious 

• Original Join Date- 29th October 2004 - 04:14 PM
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:CPTOBVIOUS

Posted 24 October 2009 - 06:49 PM

Plus if fields carry both, I can wield my Crosman 3357 as a secondary. :happy:

But really, thats all I care about. Now .50 cal is being mass produced for paintball and will be readily available so that I can use my old revolver. Grant it, I could use blowgun paint, but that usually requires going online, which I hate. I'd rather buy it in person.
US Air Force
Posted Image
Proudly Sponsored by: ANS Gear || Pinokio Hoppers|| Stiffi Barrels || ChroniX Radio
[/b]

#24 User is offline   JDS753 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 25 October 2009 - 09:00 PM

One thing I haven't heard is whats going to be the new "standard" FPS? 300? 400? 450? It makes a lot of difference and have the people that got to check it out been trying it at these new faster FPS?

I'm still on the fence as to which side I'm on. I own a rather large amount of markers (and a couple of projects) and I'd hate for them to one day be obsolete, but if it really is that big of an improvement and costing less, I could see upgrading or buying a marker or two to play with.

#25 User is offline   Tim Burton 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 25 October 2009 - 09:09 PM

View PostJDS753, on Oct 25 2009, 09:00 PM, said:

One thing I haven't heard is whats going to be the new "standard" FPS? 300? 400? 450? It makes a lot of difference and have the people that got to check it out been trying it at these new faster FPS?

I'm still on the fence as to which side I'm on. I own a rather large amount of markers (and a couple of projects) and I'd hate for them to one day be obsolete, but if it really is that big of an improvement and costing less, I could see upgrading or buying a marker or two to play with.

They aren't going to raise the FPS. It is why they are pushing the 5.1 joules stat.

I haven't seen any one crank up the fps and see how it shoots yet, hopefully soon. If the ball doesn't wiz off in all sorts of directions, then I think a fps increase will be possible.

RI states that the 50 cal balls fly father and more accurate at 300fps. So far, evidence seems to show that they don't fly as far.

#26 User is offline   TaCticulMerderer18 

• Tom Kaye, Mike Cassidy, Glenn Palmer and Budd Orr.... DemiGods
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Shiek

Posted 26 October 2009 - 06:15 PM

View PostEthrealwolf, on Oct 11 2009, 08:45 PM, said:

As for why fix it if it aint broke- we're not 'fixing' anything.
we?

or die out completely.

with any luck at all

View PostSO45615, on Oct 12 2009, 03:37 AM, said:

i heard the new MR4 will shoot .50 cal...

its built for 50 cal, and looks like crap....

Even if you don't see it on the site, we can still get it for you!!!
No, we won't be stocking .50 caliber anything....

#27 User is offline   RockFish 

• AKA Cpl McGuire AKA Corpy
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:RockFish

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:48 PM

Hear Hear! Why let corporations soak you for extra bucks. The paint may be cheaper, but the cost of converting your gun/loader to .50 negates any savings in paint.
Edge Zero's one and only Corpy!
I'm neurotic, I need to see more people. I'm schizophrenic, I AM other people! - Veritech Squad

#28 User is offline   TaCticulMerderer18 

• Tom Kaye, Mike Cassidy, Glenn Palmer and Budd Orr.... DemiGods
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Shiek

Posted 27 October 2009 - 02:09 PM

View PostRockFish, on Oct 27 2009, 12:48 AM, said:

. The paint may be cheaper, but the cost of converting your gun/loader to .50 negates any savings in paint.

AMEN!

Even if you don't see it on the site, we can still get it for you!!!
No, we won't be stocking .50 caliber anything....

#29 User is offline   druid 

• Celtic Warrior - Mo Anam Cara
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:druidsdecendant

Posted 01 November 2009 - 11:55 PM

http://www.youtube.c...0bQ&feature=sub

and

http://mcarterbrown.com/50ballistics/

Yes you can argue that lack of chrono showing and other "empirical" testing items were mis-performed [on video] but it shows exactly what I've been saying all along...the .50 cal sucked 20 [well, 15] years ago and it still does.

I rest my case.
Warped A5; M98; 68 Magnum w/ AGD 6-Pack, Automaggot #92 Custom Modder #5
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
I got my OWN smiley...

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users