• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Choosing a Paintball Gun Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   prettyearth 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 June 2010 - 11:38 AM

is there any tips in choosing a paintball gun ?

#2 User is offline   Bone37 

• The Chicago 37th S.P.S. Heavy Gunner
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Bone37

Posted 23 June 2010 - 11:49 AM

!!!Tippmann!!!
Or BT.
Posted Image

37sps.com

#3 User is offline   Spitfire151 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:43 PM

Lol Bone. Honestly, you need to decide what your budget is, what you're going to be playing (woods or speedball, although the line is becoming blurred in the marker segment these days), if you want to be more mil-sim, and what you want from the marker.

What is your current budget for making a marker purchase? IE: $75-125; $125-200; etc. I think once you know that then advice on here can be more tailored for your options.
SpecOps Feedback
SpecOps Products owned: Scout Vest; Two Custom Vests; Collapsable Pod Loader; Allied and Axis Bandanas; Remote Line and Hopper covers.
Reviews: Spec Ops Custom Vest
Mods: Minor Mask Mod

#4 User is offline   Bone37 

• The Chicago 37th S.P.S. Heavy Gunner
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Bone37

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:58 PM

A-5! X-7! 98! What else do you need to know? Trust me...
Posted Image

37sps.com

#5 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 June 2010 - 01:20 PM

Now that the fanboys have had their say... :wub:

First - Budget. Obviously, you don't get an unlimited fund for paintball. Start with what you can afford, and be sure to include the other costs like a hopper (even if it's just a basic gravity fed "shake 'n bake" one), tank (CO2 or HPA, on this later), and mask.

Do not skimp on the mask! This is more important than any other piece of paintball equipment.

Moving past budget to the rest:

What fits your style best? Are you looking for something lighter and compact, or are you looking for "milsim"? Are you looking for low maintenance, or do other things matter more to you?

CO2 or HPA? Does your field have HPA fills? Can you afford an HPA tank? If not, best to avoid electro-pneumatics. They are great markers, and ordinarily I'd be quick to recommend some of the lower end and midrange electros for a paintball player, but you need HPA.

Lastly, are you willing to buy used?

For the player on the tightest possible budget, I would recommend a BT-4 for the gun. It's everything a 98 should have been, but wasn't. Cheaper, better made, less limitations, and the same basic performance.

For players looking potentially used and want a mech or cannot obtain HPA in their area, but something of higher tier than a BT/Tippmann/Spyder, I would recommend an automag (not X-valve! That needs HPA). You can find them used for $100-200 easy, and they will do everything that Tippmann or BT could do and do it better.

Though if you can get HPA and want a nice mech, there is nothing wrong with X-valved automags (though a new player may not want to drop that sort of coin on one)

Electros range all over the board, and the main thing to consider about them is personal preference. Some people will prefer poppits, others will prefer spoolies. Some will love the Invert Mini, and others will find it's too small to work with. Go to a pro shop or ask people at your field if you can hold/look at the various electros you're looking into.

This post has been edited by Thalion: 23 June 2010 - 01:21 PM

Member of Team Akkadian

#6 User is offline   Spitfire151 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:49 PM

'Scuse me Thalion? I only see ONE fan boy...ahem.
SpecOps Feedback
SpecOps Products owned: Scout Vest; Two Custom Vests; Collapsable Pod Loader; Allied and Axis Bandanas; Remote Line and Hopper covers.
Reviews: Spec Ops Custom Vest
Mods: Minor Mask Mod

#7 User is offline   IrishMack 

• Better than You
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:05 PM

I've noticed there is an overwhelimg amount of Tipmann fans on here..must have something to do with the woodsballers...

but mostly what Thalion said, the Tippmann is a good gun for starters...but if you have the cash there are much nice guns..mags being one of them.
"I could be your third wheel."
"You know that's not a good thing right?"
"Of course it is, it adds more grip, greater stability"

"Gives it color he says, it'll look good he says...Filthy liar" (in regards to Puzuma)

#8 User is offline   IrishMack 

• Better than You
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:18 PM

so, if you haven't bought a paintball gun yet, why were you making informative posts....???
"I could be your third wheel."
"You know that's not a good thing right?"
"Of course it is, it adds more grip, greater stability"

"Gives it color he says, it'll look good he says...Filthy liar" (in regards to Puzuma)

#9 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:00 AM

One little letter and everybody's all up in a fuss... :D

Sorry about that though. Just saw some posts and did not notice it was the same individual who posted both of them.

View PostSpitfire151, on Jun 23 2010, 08:49 PM, said:

'Scuse me Thalion? I only see ONE fan boy...ahem.

Member of Team Akkadian

#10 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:08 AM

One of the best things you can do prior to buying your first gun would be to play a few times. Rent equipment. Find out what you do not like in that rental gear.
Then, ask to shoot some of the more advanced gear at those games. Most of the time players are proud of their gear and will be more than happy to let you shoot thiers to find out if you like it or not.

By shooting a wide variety of gun you can narrow down your options.

Price as mentioned befor will always have a factor in your overall choice. But you need to know whay you like and dislike prior to opening your wallet.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users