• You cannot reply to this topic

lpk for a5 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   skowvy 

• You can call me, Papa Smurf.
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:skowvy

Posted 17 July 2007 - 08:31 AM

I was wondering if the LPK for the A5 is worth it does it give you any performance increase I know it inproves gas efficienybut does it improve performance and as a side note I have heard about huge like 34oz co2 tanks :) anyone know were I can find one :)
If we cant do it it doesn't need to be done!
Official Sabre #77

Expendable Assets Team Leader.

Blessed be the LORD my Rock, Who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle. My lovingkindness and my fortress, My high tower and my deliverer, my shield and the ONE in whom I take refuge!

#2 User is offline   herb 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:gasper

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:48 AM

sports authority has a 32oz co2 tank.

#3 User is offline   Nemidaelius 

• Self-described 'sniper'
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 July 2007 - 12:14 PM

The LPK is reportedly quieter. It should also (I am spitballing) be somewhat gentler on balls, I think.

I am not sure how much of an efficiency gain you will see with a LPK. If you DO see an efficiency gain, my physics intuition says that it'll have more to do with the addition of a regulator than with your operating pressure.

I don't actually know what the efficiency at various points along a volume Vs. pressure curve would look like... It might be constant, assuming the reg is well-dialed in and consistent. I don't know, it's be interesting to try and test.

I don't know much else about the putative benefits of an LPK. I'm sure Tippmann will tell you that it'll make you more accurate.

Here's what the item description in the SO store says:
"The Tippmann A-5 Low Pressure Kit is designed to minimize recoil and improve consistency shot velocity. According to research and testing, the most efficient pressure is between 300 and 400psi. By changing the configuration of the valve and rear bolt, Tippmann achieved better efficiency, less recoil, and a more consistent shot-to-shot velocity. Ultimately, the kit increases efficiency by keeping pressure between 300 and 400 psi."

Here's what I know about how the LPK works:
Since you use a regulator with the LPK, the air that comes through the valve is only 300-400 PSI instead of 800-850, so you need more of it to propel the ball as far, operate the Cyclone, and reset the hammer. The new valve has a lighter valve spring, which allows the hammer to open it more easily, allowing more gas flow. The valve also has a different shape that allows more gas to flow forward to the breech. Since the gas that's resetting the hammer is lower pressure, the hammer needs to be lighter so that it can be reset more easily, hence the lightened hammer and altered hammer spring.
Finally, the Low Pressure Chamber (LPC): All of this means that more volume of gas has to flow through that valve, and when the valve opens, if it's being fed directly by the regulator then the regulator may not allow gas to flow into the valve quickly enough to supply enough volume to operate the gun. So, they set up the LPC, which is downstream of the regulator and upstream of the valve. After the gas comes through the regulator, it fills up the LPC, which then dumps through the valve when it opens. The LPC effectively acts as a reservoir of gas that's already been through the regulator, ensuring that the valve won't be starved of air.

This post has been edited by Nemidaelius: 17 July 2007 - 12:23 PM

proud aspie
IPB Image

#4 User is offline   FlamingoChavez 

• (insert title here)
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Rooster45

Posted 17 July 2007 - 12:59 PM

You forget that with the decrease in mass of the hammer, that the LPK has less mass to move therefore it uses less air. True its not a huge savings each shot, but after 1000 shots or so it gets quite considerable.

Furthermore, because you can operate your marker at a lower pressure, you can get more shots out of your tank (providing you have a low pressure reg on your tank). For example, if your gun only takes 800psi then you can shoot your tank untill it reaches 800psi without any negative effect. If you can run your marker at 350psi, then you can shoot the tank all the way down to 400psi (which is the output pressure of most low pressure regs on tanks.

#5 User is offline   Factor 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Factor

Posted 17 July 2007 - 01:11 PM

View PostNemidaelius, on Jul 17 2007, 03:14 PM, said:

qft

i have the LPK on my A-5 and i swear by it.

here is your trade-off:
LPK $110K
Regulator$50-70
N2 Tank $100-240

You're looking at about a $200-300 investment to upgrade a marker that didn't even cost you that much to begin with.

That being said - that is the ONLY down side (you could also say that you can't put any cosmetic add-ons in that place of your marker)

shot to shot consistency is amazing once installed, you will never see a stock A-5 shoot 270fps three times in a row on a chrono - mine did this past saturday ... the marker's accuracy gains from the incredibly

This post has been edited by Factor: 17 July 2007 - 01:13 PM

Digitally Dangerous: Factor this ...

#6 User is offline   FlamingoChavez 

• (insert title here)
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Rooster45

Posted 17 July 2007 - 04:49 PM

View PostFactor, on Jul 17 2007, 01:11 PM, said:

here is your trade-off:
LPK $110K
Regulator$50-70
N2 Tank $100-240

You're looking at about a $200-300 investment to upgrade a marker that didn't even cost you that much to begin with.

That being said - that is the ONLY down side (you could also say that you can't put any cosmetic add-ons in that place of your marker)

The thing about all that is that both the air tank, and the reg drastically increase accuracy whether or not you're running with a LPK. So you can take gradual bites off that much larger number... just get the LPK last.

This post has been edited by FlamingoChavez: 17 July 2007 - 04:50 PM

#7 User is offline   arclight642 

• Safety is all of our concern.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:arclight642

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:25 PM

I have run an LPK system on my A5 for over a year now and I swear by it, enough so that I purchased a second LPK+reg for my second A5:)

I agree with the above posters, that the LPK only increases shots per fill and reduces marker noise. The regulator you must use with it is what increases the consistency of your shots. If you have to purchase peacemeal, purchase the male regulator first and then the rest of the LPK after that.

A word of advice tho, be sure to measure the length of the braided steel hose you will need to reach from your ASA to the regulator. I run a Palmers Fatty regulator on my system and had to buy the longest hose the shop had, AND add an additional elbow to the reg to make it all fit.

When I was in superhot/humid FL, I would typically get about 600-700 shots off of a 9oz CO2, and thats pretty amazing:)

arc
IPB Image

How many balls per second are you going to miss me with? --unknown baller

Do your duty, no matter what may come. --Jacques DeMolay

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users