• You cannot reply to this topic

Dagger Tutorials/Necessary Info Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Eggmoe 

• They call me "Runs With No Pants"
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Eggmoe

Posted 29 September 2008 - 09:08 PM

Alright guys, I'm a new dagger and I'm having trouble finding more advanced topics (other than the things we already know- run fast, up front, small gun.)
So I figured I should post a Hub of tutorials/info.
The way it'll work is someone will post useful info, and I will either copy the info and post it here, or redirect to the post.
If you can, post something helpful.
-----------------------------------------------------
UPDATED 6/10/09
Many helpful tips have been posted by fellow daggers below, I suggest reading into some. I've learned a lot since this original post about playing dagger, and although it is a very challenging position, it's very rewarding. Keep raiding the bases and hoarding them flags, guys.
-----------------------------------------------------
Helpful Topics
On Gun Air? Why? Discussion
The Dagger Challenge (Staying Alive)

This post has been edited by Eggmoe: 10 June 2009 - 01:01 AM

#2 User is offline   EPIC_Fox 

• filth.fm
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:EPIC_Fox

Posted 30 September 2008 - 06:09 PM

IMO...

The necessary equipment consists of a marker (no specific type), pack/vest, 3 pods, and a mask (duh)

The Ideal Gun for me would be a CCM S6 pump. 45/45 hpa tank, and a revvy loader. And 2 140 rd pods

Practice/Exercise, practice snapshooting, being accurate and have the first shot on target, movement (timing your moves so you dont make a foolish mistake)

I'm not the right person to ask about tactics, since my tactic is normally go shoot people
Boss Paintball

#3 User is offline   Foil 

• Team T.W.O.
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Foil

Posted 13 October 2008 - 06:41 PM

Hi Eggmoe,

Beyond the basics you mentioned I think one of the most important things to learn and indeed one of the hardest, is how to read the landscape and patience.

For example you're going to move a lot differently in a heavily wooded area as opposed to an open field or a pine thicket. Where do you step? How best do you move up the field while staying covered and moving quick? Is this a good time for a sprint or should I crawl? All these, and many more, are things that will go through your head as your squads point man. Beyond moving up field quickly leading your squad you'll also be your squads bait, ie you get to dig up the snipers and set off the ambushs hopefully without getting whacked. Few things feel better than ruining an opposing teams ambush by jumping them first or using yourself as bait so that a twitchy fingered opponent blows the operation on a desperate shot at you.

Read the lanscape, every dip and roll in the ground can be used for cover or for a away to move up field undetected. Wet leaves won't crunch under foot and logs are even better when working through a hevily wooded area. Move when your opponent is shooting or when the wind is blowing to hide the sound and don't be afraid to make your squad wait a minute or two so you can do your job properly.

Remember, just because your the point man doesn't mean you have to be sprinting the whole time.

Hope this helps, happy hunting Dagger.
IPB Image

Co founder of Team T.W.O. Battle Creek, Michigan.
Dagger - "In your face, then in your base"

#4 User is offline   Zzaque 

• Voce nao pode ser serio!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Zzaque

Posted 23 October 2008 - 04:24 PM

Necessary equipment:
Paintball Gun, Mask, Clothing (for everyone elses sake)

Ideal Gun:
. . . one that shoots (a light one would be best I suppose) Mostly one to which you are already accustomed. (I feel that Dagger is more of a mindset)

Practice/Exercise:
yes/yes You are being trusted to get into and out of some sticky situations. Exercise is a must. Practice should probably involve training your eyes. Being in the front lines the best skill you can have is the skill of seeing before being seen. Also practice your snapshots.

Tactics:
move fast. . move quietly if possible. I don't know . . . you are typically in the front. . . shoot first and ask questions later?

Yeah that probably didn't help a whole lot. Just get out there and do it. That is how most of us learn to play better.
"So, I can't find any Vitamin B-12 pills . . . can't I just give him 2 Vitamin B-6's?"
-A Confused Nurse-

#5 User is offline   Boomstik 

• An Individualist Anarchist
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Boomstik

Posted 25 October 2008 - 01:39 PM

Necessary Equipment:
Light gun: You don't want to be bogged down by a real heavy gun, because as your squads dagger, you want to be able to move quickly without the heavy cannon. There's really no right or wrong gun, it all depends on what you feel comfortable with.

Mask: Any mask will do, as long as it'll protect your face. BUT you want one that won't fog up, cause as the pointman, your team depends on you to be able to spot the enemy, whether they're waiting in ambush, sniping positions, or out in the open. You should be the first person to spot a tango.

Vest: Typically a light rifleman will have 3-4 100-140 rd. pods on them, this is a good amount. Also you don't want to feel constricted in your vest, you want to be able to manuever in it without being tangled up in it. What I mean by this is, location of your pods on the vest, are they on your back vertically or horizontally, which position is easier to grab a pod, etc. I would recommend not putting any pods on the front, because in my experience I've had them get in the way, or even break on me when I'm diving into cover. But again, it's what you're comfortable with.

The Ideal Gun:
One that is light, accurate, and above all reliable. Need I say more?

Practice/Exercise:
Running and leg strength. As a dagger, you're gonna do some running and sprinting, so it's good to have stamina. I've seen too many guys sprint in a game for like 50 feet and lose all their energy in that short burst. So it's good to be able to have that extra ounce of energy so you can really turn on the afterburners for that flanking manuever or when you see that short gap in your enemies line. Get out there and run.

Leg strength, now people are gonna flame me for this, lol. But I have my reasons for it. Your playing in the woods I presume, therefore the terrain is gonna be somewhat treacherous with the rocks, sticks, leaves, hills, and anything else that you can step on. Your leg strength is gonna help you run up hills faster, down hills faster, and the strength will also help prevent you from rolling your ankle. It's happened to all of us. It's not gonna save your feet, but the extra strength will allow your legs to better absorb the impact from landing on a wierd angle therefore, your feet will stay straight. You'll still roll it from time to time, but it won't hurt as much.

Tactics:
I don't care if you're a newb or have playing this position for 10 years, you can always improve your tactics. A dagger is meant to be light and fast, but also patient and sneaky when necessary. Most beginners (no offense to anyone) will charge the line upon engagement and get lit up. Daggers are meant to flank and punch through the holes in the line. These opportunities don't always present themselves, so you must be patient and eventually you'll get your shot. Sometimes there'll be situations where you have to stick it out up front, but this is woodsball, anything can happen.

Also don't engage yourself with every enemy you encounter, because sometimes it's not to your advantage. Unnecessary firefights are the bane of the light rifleman, you're not carrying a lot of paint, and also your gun might not be too accurate for longer distances.

The dagger is kind of the glory position, cause they're the ones flanking or hitting the enemies rear and getting a good amount of kills. Sometimes we let that get to our heads (it's happened to me) and we rush into a fight without thinking about our teammates. My point is, rely on your squadmates, they're the reason why you're making all those flanks and getting all those kills. A dagger without backup is just another paintballer. Your style of play isn't the only thing that makes you a dagger, it's your squadmates that cover you that allows you to play the way you play, hence the reason why you're a dagger.

Hope this helps.
"May God have mercy upon my enemies, cause I sure as Hell won't." General George Patton
"Baseball isn't just a sport, it's a way of life, a religion even."
Stay true to metal, it's the music of emotions. Heavy Metal Forever.
Here's my feedback.
Need text support? Then click here, dummy!!!
Montclair State University Redhawks Woodsball Team
Sponsored by Urban Ops Paintball and Apache Paintball.
Montclair State University 2008 Alumni.

#6 User is offline   8-Ball 

• The Original Elite Dagger. Original join date 061004, member #10
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:8 - BALL

Posted 28 October 2008 - 04:50 PM

Necessary Equipment
comfortable pod carrier, prefferably something like Spec Ops Dagger Alias vest. It's versatile so it lets you adjust to varying situations. (IE. a quick pick up Outlaw game, a day at the field, an all day scenario or an SPPL event.)
GOOD footwear! Swat boots or better yet, mid to high paintball cleats. Light but yet sturdy enough to offer plenty of protection for uneven terrain.
The best mask you can afford! For comfort, anti-fogging, and available peripheral vision.

The Ideal Gun
I prefer something light, fast, reliable and accurate. I shoot a SP Shocker NXT. I add a reliable hopper and a SP Maxflo 68/4500 tank. But seriously, you HAVE to have a gun that FITS you!

Practice/Exercise?
Does a sprinter get fast sitting on his kiester? Does a Sharp shooter get deadly accurate watching the telly? How are you gonna be a killa if ya don't practice and aren't in shape? 'nuff said!
Snapshooting drills, run & gun drills, weight training & cross training for endurance as well as speed. train like you fight, fight like you train. Works for SF & SWAT, it'll work for you too.

PLAY, PLAY, PLAY! Nothing is a better teacher than experience! And it's the funnest way to learn as well. It's not only trigger time, but time in the field spent learning what is a good move(do you head for the next bunker/tree or stay put?), when is the best time to move (Do you wait for tactical cover fire, for your Op For to reload, or put him in yourself 'n go?) & How is the best way to move. (sprint, crawl, sneek slowly, etc.)

Tactics
Learn you're part of a team! COMMUNICATE with whoever is on the field behind and beside you. The coordinated your attack the more chance of success it'll have.

#7 User is offline   sipbgod94 

• proud pistol toter
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 November 2008 - 05:34 PM

Neccesary's are a good mask (use the money you saved on not spending so much on all the other gear to get a nice mask), breathable clothing and a gun preferably small and or compact.

I believe the dagger is not a make or break position for a team and is easily filled or taught position. I play it with either my huge 98 or my overlord RX whenever Im needed to. Its generally not hard position to maintain the point man is usually just used for entrances or to draw fire. It does take skill to keep that individual in the game which would be good but also usually not a main factor for your team. The need for less gear and more simple set-up attracts newer players but its also good and better filled by speedball players getting into a team or maybe that play both. This being said you do need very good reflexes as well as speed. First shot accuracy is good to have for any position or for anything in paintball and snapshooting is a must.
Resident Lax know-all, got a lacrosse related question ask here.

#8 User is offline   Goggle Flauge 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Sam Kanthak

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:44 PM

View Postsipbgod94, on Nov 3 2008, 06:34 PM, said:

Neccesary's are a good mask (use the money you saved on not spending so much on all the other gear to get a nice mask), breathable clothing and a gun preferably small and or compact.

I believe the dagger is not a make or break position for a team and is easily filled or taught position. I play it with either my huge 98 or my overlord RX whenever Im needed to. Its generally not hard position to maintain the point man is usually just used for entrances or to draw fire. It does take skill to keep that individual in the game which would be good but also usually not a main factor for your team. The need for less gear and more simple set-up attracts newer players but its also good and better filled by speedball players getting into a team or maybe that play both. This being said you do need very good reflexes as well as speed. First shot accuracy is good to have for any position or for anything in paintball and snapshooting is a must.

I Have to disagree with this. a few things.

>Dagger is a make or break position especialy in scenerio play.
-big things like ambushes or sneak attacks move the feild faster than anything else. the people who do this are the daggers. one of the hardest to play and succed at position on the feild. being fit and able to manuver around opponents are a nessary on any good team. BIG things like flag runs or mid feild breakthroughts are what win SPPL games. from my EXPEREANCE REFFING SCENERIO GAMES AND TOURNEMENTS the first team to the center point or swing base are usualy the ones who win. the first contact in any fight is the dagger. the first to the flag is the dagger. DAGGERS WIN GAMES.

>for newer daggers a few tips:
-buy a elertic gun or a "speedball gun". a small, light, compact, and LOW PROFILE gun are a nessary for any dagger.
-NO REMOTE LINES. they get tangeled on branches, rais your profile(bad, really bad as dagger) and unballance yout gun(for things like snapshooting and slideing a well ballanced gun is nessary.
-FAST everything has to be fast. gun, loader, actual player, everything.
-LOW profile. this means no big gun or vest, nothing extra that may get shot. when your out front and dont wanna get shot the smaller you are the better. harder target to hit, especialy through soft cover.
-last no least learn how to use soft cover(the patch of small bushes or tall grass). it is a fantastic way to get to the front and scout out the area because you can see all movement through soft cover, tell your team where there at and decide your next move.

Attached File(s)

GUARD YA GRILL,
NO ONE ELSE WILL.

CAPTIAN OF MINDST8
http://www.mindst8paintball.webs.com/

%90 of teens will not shoot pump. if you are a BAMF teen and shoot pump add this to your sig.
If you are a teen and MOMMY and DADDY do not pay for anything add this to your sig.

#9 User is offline   BANE 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:KellionBane

Posted 09 June 2009 - 03:08 PM

Learn how to be light on your feet (think balance), get use to switching directions at high speed (you'll need strong toes for this), dashing while in a crouching position.

And I'm surprised no one has said this...

Shoes. I'd recommend hiking boots, with mad traction and being waterproof is a plus, so you can run thru mud without worrying about getting all soggy. I've personally have a pair of Merrel's and they're awesome. After a four hour game, my feet were still dry.

I'd have to say this is one of the hardest positions to play, as it requires running training off the field, unless you're a natural athelete or not serious about it.

#10 User is offline   Tribs 

• Real men use 12 grams
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2009 - 03:29 PM

I'm all for a stock-class gun or pistol for daggers. Reason being, if you have a hopper on your gun, there is going to be at least a few pounds, without even adding the gun itself. Not to mention the lack of a large balloon to get hit on.

#11 User is offline   DaggerofBWUK 

• Theknightofbwuk-dagger styley
  • PipPip

Posted 11 June 2009 - 01:34 PM

Think everyone's covered most of the stuff I know of.

Tactics though...:

Mole hilling (we call it that anyway):
Grab a medium rifleman or bigger, get him to shoot over your head while you get down low and wriggle up to last base, where hopefully you opponent will be bricking it, so he won't pop his head out. shooting stops from the sabre and you pop your barrel over the top and depending on how harsh you feel barrel tag or barrel boom.

Shock and Awe:
I've got a few crazy ideas for shock and awe designs, but it's up to you to make yourself look threatening. My A5 has a car loudener bolted to the front, that pretty much doubles the sound produced if not more. That works for sound. As for looks, I'm getting a RAP4 hawkeye helmet (just sounds like someones spat a lugie in your face), that I'm going to bolt a set of deer antlers for open ground matches, then for scenarios that involve buildings, just horn tips. Those are pretty much the only ligitimate senses you can cover with out launching horse droppings in through a bunker window and raining bugs down through the roof.
"May be the new kid on the block
but that don't really matter
'Cos I is from Gloucestershire
and I can drive a tra-ar"

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users