#31 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:13 PM

View Postghost93, on Jul 23 2009, 09:02 PM, said:

View PostCapnStank, on Jul 23 2009, 07:44 PM, said:

I actually plan to really follow this. I use my Phantom 100% now and have been looking for something that can through more paint in the near future. If there is a 'revolution' coming I'll definately take the chance once 50cal comes out.

What I'm worried about though is SP's role in all this. I hope they don't monopolize it and prevent other companies from providing 50cal markers. I will never buy SP so I don't want them to ruin this fun.

SP isn't that bad.

Product wise, no. But their ethics as a company is. Paintball has grown because manufacturers have freely allowed things top be used by others. SP has "creatively" won patents on things they haven't actually created and have opened lawsuits against other companies for using these items/ideas from BEFORE the SP acquisition.

I find it a bit disconcerting that since SP has done their thing paintball has begun to grow stagnate. It's as if companies are afraid to try something new unless they have an airtight lock on a product.

Sp wasn't the first to make .50 paint but they could certainly be the only/last.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#32 User is offline   StealingYerMail 

• always throwin bass
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:StealingYerMail

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:27 PM

Oh, that patenting poo, that's just good business. :evil:

I really don't even think SP would make it so that they were the only company that could produce .50 paint. That would be pretty low, and probably kill the sport entirely. I also wonder what like the AKA guys would think of SP paint. It'd be like the only paint you'd want to chop on purpose because it'd probably have that stupid crosshair logo on it.

But I think they realize that if .50 paint became the new norm, and they were the ONLY company making it (and this is assuming it turns out to be better than a .68 ball) they would pretty much destroy paintball.

This post has been edited by StealingYerMail: 23 July 2009 - 08:28 PM

Maggot #53
MacDev 06 Cyborg, AGD Tac-One
Death before Smart Parts Feedback

#33 User is offline   Ethrealwolf 

• If we must die, we will die. but we will never yield.
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:HALOWOLF

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:40 PM

View PostStealingYerMail, on Jul 23 2009, 08:27 PM, said:

Oh, that patenting poo, that's just good business. :evil:

I really don't even think SP would make it so that they were the only company that could produce .50 paint. That would be pretty low, and probably kill the sport entirely. I also wonder what like the AKA guys would think of SP paint. It'd be like the only paint you'd want to chop on purpose because it'd probably have that stupid crosshair logo on it.

But I think they realize that if .50 paint became the new norm, and they were the ONLY company making it (and this is assuming it turns out to be better than a .68 ball) they would pretty much destroy paintball.

Nah, what they'll do is wait for it to catch on, then file patents.

you make the assumption that they care about paintball, when it's pretty plain they don't. they care about the bottom line. I can respect worrying about the bottom line, I really can, but only when people will openly admit they're worried about the bottom line. This new .50 cal? I don't think it's going to work. too many things about it- the Insurance has to change, FPO fields need to now stock an extra kind of paint, people need to switch over to .50 cal, it's just too many things.
We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
We ran to the sounds of the thunder.
We danced among the lightning bolts,
and tore the world asunder.

http://onpaintball.blogspot.com/

#34 User is offline   StealingYerMail 

• always throwin bass
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:50 PM

Yeah, perhaps I've been giving them too much credit lately with this SP-1 business.

Regardless, I don't think the .50 thing will materialize anyway. At least not on a big level.
Maggot #53

#35 User is offline   Ethrealwolf 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:53 PM

View PostStealingYerMail, on Jul 23 2009, 08:50 PM, said:

Yeah, perhaps I've been giving them too much credit lately with this SP-1 business.

Regardless, I don't think the .50 thing will materialize anyway. At least not on a big level.

nothing wrong with the SP-1. it's solid enough.

but as it goes, I agree with you. I don't personally think the .50 will be big outside maybe outlaw, possibly mil-sim, environments. And I'll be honest, at a certain point in the mil-sim thing (specifically mag-fed limited paint formats) why not just play airsoft?

#36 User is offline   Flippy the Wonder Bunny 

• My E-MAN PART is bigger than yours
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:54 PM

What's up with all the SP hating in here? It gets really, really old.

Speaking of SP, would putting AKA regs on a Shocker earn me a one way ticket to hell?

#37 User is offline   Ethrealwolf 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:55 PM

View Postghost93, on Jul 23 2009, 08:54 PM, said:

Speaking of SP, would putting AKA regs on a Shocker earn me a one way ticket to hell?

Is it maybe because some of us genuinely dislike SP for their business practices?

and yes.

#38 User is offline   StealingYerMail 

• always throwin bass
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:08 PM

View PostEthrealwolf, on Jul 23 2009, 11:55 PM, said:

Is it maybe because some of us genuinely dislike SP for their business practices?

and yes.

I don't think anyone is really hating on them in this particular thread, just talking about what once was and what possibly could be, we're just using the past as a reference. I'm personally not a huge SP fan myself but I also wouldn't pass up a Shocker or SP-1, as long as I bought it used.

As for the AKA reg, yeah, you might be going to hell, but the Shocker will be pretty consistent. You could always check out an MD Glad, they rape and you may not go to hell for that one.
Maggot #53

#39 User is offline   Flippy the Wonder Bunny 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:12 PM

View PostEthrealwolf, on Jul 23 2009, 10:55 PM, said:

and yes.

Well people don't have to talk about how bad they suck in every thread that their name pops up in, it gets old quick.

And I'll have to think about that before I throw my Sidewinder on there.

#40 User is offline   Pirate 

• I aim to misbehave.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PirateCaptain

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:14 AM

I used to have a sponsorship from Indian Creek. Shot BKOs and B2K's and got paid for it.
So you kind of see where my SP hate comes from :blink:

And I don't know if you'd go to hell, but I'd probably take it and put it on my Marq...
My job is to be an asshole. I excel at the position.
We put our glass to the sky and lift up. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya. So raise a pint for the people that aren't with us. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya...
Austin Michelle Cloyd, Forever in my heart. We love you, Ayesha! Rest in Peace Tyler Hackett
Rest in Peace, Dave Brockie! Cam Cam #83

#41 User is offline   Flippy the Wonder Bunny 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 July 2009 - 09:00 AM

View PostPirate, on Jul 24 2009, 03:14 AM, said:

I used to have a sponsorship from Indian Creek. Shot BKOs and B2K's and got paid for it.
So you kind of see where my SP hate comes from :P

And I don't know if you'd go to hell, but I'd probably take it and put it on my Marq...

Ya, I guess I sorta see that. I love my Indian Creek gun.

#42 User is offline   CapnStank 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:CapnStank

Posted 25 July 2009 - 07:36 AM

View Postghost93, on Jul 23 2009, 07:02 PM, said:

I actually plan to really follow this. I use my Phantom 100% now and have been looking for something that can through more paint in the near future. If there is a 'revolution' coming I'll definately take the chance once 50cal comes out.

What I'm worried about though is SP's role in all this. I hope they don't monopolize it and prevent other companies from providing 50cal markers. I will never buy SP so I don't want them to ruin this fun.

SP isn't that bad.

I live by my principles and believe that a company that functions such as SP should not exist in business, but these opinions are my own and not to be brought to light here. I refuse to support the company and will wait 10+ years for the patent to expire if need be. Either that or I'll buy 2nd hand which ensure my money does not directly support the company.

This post has been edited by CapnStank: 25 July 2009 - 07:37 AM

"Watch out for the guy with the pump, they tend to hit their target."
My BST Feedback: +3/0

#43 User is offline   Flippy the Wonder Bunny 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 July 2009 - 11:33 AM

View PostCapnStank, on Jul 25 2009, 09:36 AM, said:

View Postghost93, on Jul 23 2009, 07:02 PM, said:

SP isn't that bad.

I live by my principles and believe that a company that functions such as SP should not exist in business, but these opinions are my own and not to be brought to light here. I refuse to support the company and will wait 10+ years for the patent to expire if need be. Either that or I'll buy 2nd hand which ensure my money does not directly support the company.

People seeing that SP products are being used by good players will make people want guns like that, so in a way you will be supporting SP.

#44 User is offline   theDrone 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:theDrone

Posted 25 July 2009 - 01:06 PM

Seems this topic has gone a bit off topic and become a bit of a hate on SP thread.
Yea some people hate SP for something that was done, but it's done and over.
You can go on hating them for the rest of your life, but whining over and over and
over is fairly ridiculous. it changes nothing. Love or Hate.... SP is around and doing
their thing so how about just talking about their current ideas and leave it at that.

#45 User is offline   CapnStank 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:CapnStank

Posted 26 July 2009 - 05:14 PM

In a sense the discussion is related. Whether or not you want to believe it people don't change without something forcing them to (Whoah, its like Newton!). I play with SP users all the time and I have no problem with it; as I have no problem with their equipment. It is very well built and practical. The point I want people to recognize though is that a company that has a big reputation of hurting the sport's development is taking a big role in this 'revolution'. The smallest choice could absolutely destroy the sport or the revolution itself.

However, I want to know what they've done to overcome these issues of 50cal paintballs. It can't be something simple otherwise they would've figured it out the first time around. Is the fill different? Is the shell? Have they added something else to it? All answers I really want to find out!
"Watch out for the guy with the pump, they tend to hit their target."
My BST Feedback: +3/0

Share this topic:

• (11 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users