• You cannot reply to this topic

Logic the safety gear we forget to mention

#1 User is offline   Zzaque 

• Voce nao pode ser serio!
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Zzaque

Posted 22 November 2008 - 02:51 PM

For those of us who are familiar with safety equipment in paintball there is the responsibility to pass on that knowledge. We always tell new players to never remove their masks during a game. Sometimes we have to remind the not so new players. We explain the rules and make sure that every gun is chrono'd before we go out for the game we have been waiting for all through our long work/school week. After all of our best efforts, Murphy's law still manages to kick in and we sometimes have accidents.

How could this happen after all the preparation we have made and all of the safety measures we have followed? Now I realize that accidents happen and there are some accidents that just can't be avoided. For the rest of the accidents that still happen, might I suggest that many of us might still lack an important piece of safety equipment. Let me see. . . we have masks, barrel covers/plugs, non-toxic paint, proper clothing and a chronograph. . . what could we possibly be missing? How about logic?

I have seen some pretty smart people do some pretty dumb things in my time playing paintball. I once had to give up a whole day of paintball because in the first game my friend who is allergic to bees decided to dive on top of the only beehive in the entire forest because he heard me shoot at him from 200 feet away. He then proceeded to throw the gun I had rented for him right on top of the beehive while he ran screaming through the forest (after taking his mask off) because a bee had landed on his elbow. He was sure he had been stung and insisted that I drive him to the hospital while the other players braved the angry swarm to get the gear back. We never played with him again.

I find it funny that stories like this seem to follow certain people. Unfortunately, I used to be one of them (Ooooohhh the stories I could tell) My friend still has stuff like this happen to him all the time. It is sad how misfortune follows some people in everything they do. Once again the word logic comes to mind. Recently I read in the book "Eldest" an interesting section where the characters discuss logic as being "the most useful tool a person can have." They explained it as "the ability to reason analytically."

It is funny how sometimes we see on these threads even the presence of statements that almost don't make sense but the people have strong feelings behind them. I will take one more quote from the book: "I. . . contend that if you had to choose between giving a man a noble disposition or teaching him to think clearly, you'd do better to teach him to think clearly. Too many problems in this world are caused by men with noble dispositions and clouded minds."

Let's not get so carried away with the other elements of safety that we lose hold of the greatest danger avoiding tool we have. Let's not allow human error to bypass all the other safety precautions we may take. Let's play and have fun, but with our brains "turned on" so that we can eradicate even the minor accidents that may happen. Let's use that same logic to avoid destroying other peoples property with our paintball gear. Let's not just keep it safe, but also keep it smart.
"So, I can't find any Vitamin B-12 pills . . . can't I just give him 2 Vitamin B-6's?"
-A Confused Nurse-

#2 User is offline   Warpaint 

• "Well...Shall We?"
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Warpaint537

Posted 22 November 2008 - 03:03 PM

We are never in any greater danger than when we presume we are safe. Good post.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." ~ Edmund Burke ~ "Well...shall we?" ~ Hoot, Black Hawk Down
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   Mobles 

• Better than Mack
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:T-Freak

Posted 22 November 2008 - 03:08 PM

lol about the Bee story :(

yeah, im naturally a nice, easy going, quiet guy..but every saturday night behind my mask i become Mr. Hyde...the meanest Strictest reff at my field..im constantly having to yell at people, young and old, new and seasoned..and yeah..they tick me off, but im really yelling to get it into there heads.."KEEP YOUR FRIGGIN MASK ON! "

good read!
Life is short, get off your couch
[IMG-]http://i215.photobuc...eak/meeko-1.jpg[-/IMG]
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Zzaque 

• PipPipPip

Posted 22 November 2008 - 04:20 PM

Yeah, it turns out he didn't get stung at all (lucky devil) He just saw one land on his elbow and his hypochondriachism (I have no idea if that is a word) kicked in and he felt a "sting". Poor guy. Maybe I will post some more of his stories later (as I remember them)
"So, I can't find any Vitamin B-12 pills . . . can't I just give him 2 Vitamin B-6's?"
-A Confused Nurse-

#5 User is offline   slowerpig81 

• This man is a Beast with that Phantom. -thisissparta
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:slowerpig81

Posted 23 November 2008 - 10:36 PM

View PostT-Freak, on Nov 22 2008, 04:08 PM, said:

lol about the Bee story :D

yeah, im naturally a nice, easy going, quiet guy..but every saturday night behind my mask i become Mr. Hyde...the meanest Strictest reff at my field..im constantly having to yell at people, young and old, new and seasoned..and yeah..they tick me off, but im really yelling to get it into there heads.."KEEP YOUR FRIGGIN MASK ON! "

good read!

Me too, but I'm not even a ref. I will become one shortly after I turn 16. Getting paid to yell at people while in authority. Sweet! You might even save someone's vision, or make their day. I'm always thankful for the refs, who, without whom, the day would be a mess.

#6 User is offline   Zzaque 

• PipPipPip

Posted 29 November 2008 - 05:53 PM

Another place I would like to see more logic used is in the forum. I don't know if I am just lucky to run across so many of the posts where people say a whole lot but the quality of what they say borders on squat. I see a lot of opinions and opinion bashing without anything to back it up.

I have a lot of strong opinions and I believe everyone is entitled to theirs as well. I just think that if you have an abrasive opinion about something you had better have some reasoning. Also, if you have good reasons the only way the rest of us will know is if you actually explain it to us. Saying, "_________ sucks" doesn't help anyone. It is just a waste of the 7 calories (yes calories, not Calories [which are much bigger]) it took for you to type the phrase "_________ sucks"

Maybe I am just biased because I had a sister who argued until 5th grade that there are purple cows on the moon that give us Purpleberry Milkshakes because her Kindergarten teacher told her so. A little logic can truly go a long way in the world. I am fine with anybody thinking that I suck as long as they have a damn good reason for it.
-A Confused Nurse-

#7 User is offline   slowerpig81 

• This man is a Beast with that Phantom. -thisissparta
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:slowerpig81

Posted 29 November 2008 - 06:53 PM

View PostZzaque, on Nov 29 2008, 06:53 PM, said:

Another place I would like to see more logic used is in the forum. I don't know if I am just lucky to run across so many of the posts where people say a whole lot but the quality of what they say borders on squat. I see a lot of opinions and opinion bashing without anything to back it up.

I have a lot of strong opinions and I believe everyone is entitled to theirs as well. I just think that if you have an abrasive opinion about something you had better have some reasoning. Also, if you have good reasons the only way the rest of us will know is if you actually explain it to us. Saying, "_________ sucks" doesn't help anyone. It is just a waste of the 7 calories (yes calories, not Calories [which are much bigger]) it took for you to type the phrase "_________ sucks"

Maybe I am just biased because I had a sister who argued until 5th grade that there are purple cows on the moon that give us Purpleberry Milkshakes because her Kindergarten teacher told her so. A little logic can truly go a long way in the world. I am fine with anybody thinking that I suck as long as they have a damn good reason for it.

So do you mean cal compared to kcal?
Lol at that story. I could say the same about a very major thing in this world, but I wont so as to not offend people.

#8 User is offline   Zzaque 

• PipPipPip

Posted 29 November 2008 - 09:33 PM

I'm impressed that you know about the kcal. But yes, "calorie" with a lower case 'c' is 1/1,000th of a "Calorie" (aka. kcal or kilocalorie) with a capital 'C' is the more commonly used term.

Somebody give this guy a Klondike Bar!
-A Confused Nurse-

#9 User is offline   Mech CB 

• Warn: (50%)
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mechanical CB

Posted 13 December 2008 - 12:10 AM

we need logic for more things than just paintball. last week i had a guy tell me that a brake light all of a sudden went out due to a wire grounding somewhere. didn't feel like arguing with him so i just changed that bulb when he wasn't looking and told him i fixed the wire.

#10 User is offline   Asha Man 

• Some random dude behind you
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Asha Man

Posted 13 December 2008 - 11:13 AM

Hey does that mean i get a Klondike bar for knowing that 4.184 joules=one calorie? chemistry is my favorite subject. (explosions!! :P )

but on the topic. Yeah, I totally agree, when you come down to it logic is what would say to someone "hey, if you take your mask off, your eye might be liquidated!(ouch)" Jumping on a beehive isnt smart, even if you arent allergic.

Proud member of the chicago SaintS BP: 113

#11 User is offline   Zzaque 

• PipPipPip

Posted 13 December 2008 - 11:28 AM

View PostAsha Man, on Dec 13 2008, 11:13 AM, said:

but on the topic. Yeah, I totally agree, when you come down to it logic is what would say to someone "hey, if you take your mask off, your eye might be liquidated!(ouch)" Jumping on a beehive isnt smart, even if you arent allergic.

Unless you are a beekeeper and are pretty much immune to the venom. At that point it would be clever to fill the air around you with "little body guards". Think of how much paint wouldn't make it to you in that situation. (Yeah, I know, I'm a little insane) Nobody tell PETA I said that. (Cuz bees have rights too ya know!)
-A Confused Nurse-

#12 User is offline   Asha Man 

• Some random dude behind you
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Asha Man

Posted 13 December 2008 - 11:30 AM

The bees would have to time it perfect... Im not sure id advocate bee stings over paintball welts.

so i dont get a klondike bar? :P

This post has been edited by Asha Man: 13 December 2008 - 11:30 AM

Proud member of the chicago SaintS BP: 113

#13 User is offline   Kodiak 

• Captain DHP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Kodiak

Posted 13 December 2008 - 11:34 AM

All good posts. Another name for logic could very well be "common sense".

#14 User is offline   Zzaque 

• PipPipPip

Posted 13 December 2008 - 12:13 PM

View PostAsha Man, on Dec 13 2008, 11:30 AM, said:

The bees would have to time it perfect... Im not sure id advocate bee stings over paintball welts.

so i dont get a klondike bar? :unsure:

Whoops! I forgot about that part. Give that guy a klondike bar too! I like chemistry too. It is fun to explain the exact reactions taking place when explaining to someone how to solve a paintball problem. It makes you sound like a frikkin' genius too!
-A Confused Nurse-

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users