Special Ops Paintball: Considering an Ion... - Special Ops Paintball

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Considering an Ion... I need well-weatherd advice from y'all...

#1 User is offline   foozeball67 

• Intergalactic Overlord of the United States of Wisconsin
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 November 2007 - 10:32 AM

I understand that half of the front page is nothing but Ion help threads, and one more might send some people over the edge, but I couldn't find exactly what I want to know.

now, I am the current owner of a Tippmann custom pro and an avid woodsballer, so you'll have to see where I'm coming from, and not knowing what I'm talking about when it comes to speedball markers. A friend of mine and I are putting together a speedball team, and my tippy is just too big for me to feel comfortable to play with (I have a CAR stock and a 16" SP barrel, so it's crazy-long :().

I have been looking into getting a new Ion and an All-American barrel (my 98's A.A. kicks butt, so I know it's a good product) as a starting upgrade, and I will be making the jump from CO2 to compressed air, so I'll probably get a CP tank as well.

So, with that all said, please bear with me and please answer my following questions so I can make the best decisions on my future purchase:

-what would be a good beginner's speedball setup for an Ion.
-what is a QEV?
-is an agitated/electronic hopper necessary?
-why are new feednecks recommended?
-should I get a reg?
-does it come with eyes?
-is a new board recommended?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

This post has been edited by foozeball67: 11 November 2007 - 10:34 AM

#2 User is offline   PaintGuido 

• Holding open doors since '99
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:N/A

Posted 11 November 2007 - 10:44 AM

Just out of personal preference, i would set you up w/ an SP-8 or SP-1, they are more woodsball. Again this is just a preference.

#3 User is offline   foozeball67 

• Intergalactic Overlord of the United States of Wisconsin
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2007 - 10:45 AM

View PostPaintGuido, on Nov 11 2007, 11:44 AM, said:

Just out of personal preference, i would set you up w/ an SP-8 or SP-1, they are more woodsball. Again this is just a preference.

no, you misunderstood. I'm trying to get into speedball. if I wasn't, I'd stick with my 98.

This post has been edited by foozeball67: 11 November 2007 - 10:45 AM

#4 User is offline   PaintGuido 

• Holding open doors since '99
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:N/A

Posted 11 November 2007 - 10:45 AM

View Postfoozeball67, on Nov 11 2007, 09:32 AM, said:

I have an SP-8*, which runs fine w/ a normal hopper, but an agitated hopper just makes it all that better.

* SP-8 is an ion in a shell

This post has been edited by PaintGuido: 11 November 2007 - 10:46 AM

#5 User is offline   Shmilling 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SPECIAl OPS 24/7

Posted 11 November 2007 - 10:49 AM

-what would be a good beginner's speedball setup for an Ion: i would say that the best setup would be just to leave it stock for a while and see what needs upgrading.
-what is a QEV: it increases efficiency of the Ion
-is an agitated/electronic hopper necessary: Yes, i would suggest a halo B
-why are new feednecks recommended: because the stock feed neck is not that good at all ( mine broke on the first day )
-should I get a reg? It would be a good idea but it is not necessary right out of the box
-does it come with eyes: yes
-is a new board recommended: the stock board should do you fine for a while until you feel like upgrading

#6 User is offline   Philipp122 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Philipp122

Posted 11 November 2007 - 10:58 AM

1. Once you get the Ion, stick with just the marker and a barrel at first, then upgrade to a QEV, feedneck, and a trigger. Later, go for the other, more expensive upgrades.
2. QEV= Quick Exhaust Valve. When you fire, the only thing happening is pressurized air in front of the bolt is vented off through the solenoid and the pressurized air behind the bolt pushes it forward, firing the ball. All the QEV does is vent off half the air through it's valve, which means the air vents off faster, cutting your minimum potential dwell time in half. Basically, it helps with faster cycling and air efficiency.
3. An agitated hopper is probably a good upgrade when you are firing above 12 bps, which is one of the strong points of a speedball marker. It's not a necessity, and you don't have to worry about choping with the Ion, but I highly reccomend it.
4. The best feedneck is a Q-Lock, but it is a little bit expensive ($35). It's totally worth it though: it's pretty much indestructible and holds a wide range of hoppers. Some cheaper feednecks have weak threads that strip easily, so try to stay away from feednecks that do not have a good reputation. Check out pbreview.com for reviews on common Ion feednecks.
5. The stock Ion reg is a very good reg. It's pretty consistent and problem-free. Don't worry about getting a reg anytime soon.
6. The Ion comes with a break-beam vision system, a very reliable and effective eye system. My Ion has seen 32,000 paintballs. Not a single one has chopped. The eyes are great. Don't worry about getting aftermarket eyes unless you have spare cash and want to have eyes that emit pretty colors.
7. The stock board is pretty good; it has ramping, 3-shot burst, semi, and full-auto. 3-shot burst and full-auto are limited to 10 bps, while semi and ramping are limited to 17 bps. Dwell and ROF are fully adjustable.

Take note that the Ion has a potential of shooting around 20 bps without a QEV, and up to 30 bps with a QEV and a good bolt. The only restricting factor is the cap on the board (17 bps max). If you get a Virtue board, a good bolt, and a good QEV, you can shoot up to 30 bps with the Ion. Some people have gotten them up to 32 bps, and one person even got it up to 37 bps. The video is on PbN and YouTube.

This post has been edited by Philipp122: 11 November 2007 - 03:28 PM

#7 User is offline   1-I 

• Creator of the number 7
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Brigade Name:1-I

Posted 11 November 2007 - 11:07 AM

i got my ion with the intention of speedball use.
i somewhat regret the descision, the money you will most likely spend on common upgrades, board, feedneck clamp, barrel, trigger, you could easily get a nicer mid range setup. Invert mini and timmys (in some respect) are affordable and the stock cost for them will most likely be cheaper than your upped ion cost.

of course we all dont have 4 to 6 hundred dollars just lying around so the 200 price tag of the ion makes it affordable to start with and the upgrades are all resonabley cheap but they do add up over time.
My biggest buzz kill about my ion is the resale value, in short, there is none.

now you may have noticed that im only complaining about money here. In no way shape or form am i complaining about the performance im getting out of my ion, its lighter, compacter, and takes up less space in my gear bag then my A5. For my play style on the speedball field the ion does just fine, but im not a ramper or a roper or feel the need to shoot 17bps all the time.

look at your ion in respect to 3 years from now and decide if you want to save more money for now and get a nice midgrade setup or just build your ion to how you need it to be.
Posted Image

Glory is for the weak.

#8 User is offline   MillardFlemming 

• Odi et Amo.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:MILLARD FLEMMING

Posted 11 November 2007 - 11:11 AM

View Postfoozeball67, on Nov 11 2007, 12:32 PM, said:

I understand that half of the front page is nothing but Ion help threads, and one more might send some people over the edge, but I couldn't find exactly what I want to know.

now, I am the current owner of a Tippmann custom pro and an avid woodsballer, so you'll have to see where I'm coming from, and not knowing what I'm talking about when it comes to speedball markers. A friend of mine and I are putting together a speedball team, and my tippy is just too big for me to feel comfortable to play with (I have a CAR stock and a 16" SP barrel, so it's crazy-long :().

I have been looking into getting a new Ion and an All-American barrel (my 98's A.A. kicks butt, so I know it's a good product) as a starting upgrade, and I will be making the jump from CO2 to compressed air, so I'll probably get a CP tank as well.

So, with that all said, please bear with me and please answer my following questions so I can make the best decisions on my future purchase:

Probably an Ion, a 72/3000 tank, and a cheap electric loader that can do 12-14 BPS.
-what is a QEV?
It is a Quick Exhaust Valve. I don't want to explain exactly how it works, but it's only $20, and improves the Ions efficiency. I'd recommend it as your first upgrade.
Pretty much. without one, you might as well use your Tippmann.
-why are new feednecks recommended?
The stock Ion feedneck sucks. It is really high, and does'nt hold hoppers well at all.
-should I get a reg?
No. People say that you need one, but the stock reg is fine once it's broken in.
-does it come with eyes?
Yes. the stock eyes are good.
Not until you get all the other upgrades, and a fast hopper.
Thanks in advance for all the help.
No problem.

Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free -John 8:32
Smart Parts Special Forces Member

I take roughly 100 shots per kill, and I like it.

#9 User is offline   Prodigy 

• Public Enemy #1
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:DavidP1013

Posted 11 November 2007 - 11:21 AM

I'd suggest the Proto SLG. It's about $30 more, but it looks to be amazing.
-what is a QEV?
Quick Exahaust Valve. Virtue claims that with their QEV and Virtue board your Ion will hit 20bps and get more shots per fill.-is an agitated/electronic hopper necessary?
They force feed the paint into your marker, resulting in a better BPS rate. -why are new feednecks recommended?
I like clamping just so your hopper doesn't wobble back and forth.-should I get a reg?
The Ion comes with a reg, though I heard it's not the best. The SLG from proto has a Hyper reg on it, one of the nicer regs out there IMO.-does it come with eyes?
Yes.
Nope. Fields cap your BPS at 15, the stock board can do that, no need in wasting money.
Team Krisis
You gas up the marker, put on the gloves, strap on the mask, and walk onto the field.. it doesn't matter that you failed a test, that your girlfriend broke up with you last night, or that you got a ticket on the way there...your world is right for the next couple hours, this is your heaven on earth... live it... love it..

How the hell could you stop me? Why in the world would you try? I go hard forever that's just how I'm designed, that's just how I was built.

#10 User is offline   Philipp122 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2007 - 03:27 PM

View PostProdigy, on Nov 11 2007, 01:21 PM, said:

-what is a QEV?
[b]Quick Exahaust Valve. Virtue claims that with their QEV and Virtue board your Ion will hit 20bps and get more shots per fill.

You will get more than 20 bps. The QEV allows you to drop your dwell to 10-15. With a dwell setting of 10 and a recharge setting of 0, your Ion will shoot approximately 25.5 bps according to the dwell/recharge chart. And yes, my freind and I have tried this. A Clippard QEV with a Virtue board shoots exactly 25 bps with dwell at 10 and recharge at 0.

Here is the chart for dwell and recharge.

This post has been edited by Philipp122: 11 November 2007 - 03:29 PM

#11 User is offline   DvS21 

• Duct Tape; saving lives since 1942
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Raiden21

Posted 11 November 2007 - 03:32 PM

I have an Ion with a QEV an ND bolt a CP trigger and a locking feedneck, its a good shooter and I can let it go for 250 obo.

PBN Feedback AO Feedback SOP Feedback
"We could do a raffle, I've got some random bowling trophies somewhere. Everyone needs a bowling trophy." - DigitalPirate
"No, Puzuma, please tea bag me for free......actually....after that statement....I don't even care"- Deuce
"So what? She had sex in your bed... Somebody had to, and obviously you dropped the ball..." - Jones

#12 User is offline   zapp 

• The Dr. is in.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:zapp

Posted 11 November 2007 - 07:07 PM

Every question has been addressed adequately, except the hopper issue- I got an Ion and kept my gravity fed hopper, thinking it would work OK- I have a Piranha EXT I shoot @ 10 BPS fine w/ a gravity fed hopper, so I thought I could get by. It didn't work. One of the main selling points of the Ion is it's almost complete lack of "kick". What I did not realize is that also means there is no jiggle every shot to rattle the hopper around and help feed the next ball. So with an Ion, I would shoot three or 4 times and then have to shake the gun to get more to feed. This got really, really annoying very fast. I got a Tippmann Triumph sl-200 loader- it does fine for woodsball, but may be a little slow for speedball.
So, I would say a QEV AND a feeding hopper are essential upgrades. The trigger slop can be fixed w/ 2 thin teflon washers on either side, the stock board will do fine once you have a good QEV, the stock barrel is very good as stock barrels go, and the feedneck is completely hopper-dependent- it works fine for me if I take out the O-rings, but other hoppers are too big.

#13 User is offline   100toakill 

• Designed to raise hell.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:100toakill

Posted 11 November 2007 - 07:35 PM

Bottom Line: Ion's are about $200. You going end up spending at least $70 for basic upgrades (trigger, QEV, and the mandatory feedneck). Adding another $150 in ups is nothings. Buy a Redz Ion or Epiphany; they are basically what stock Ion's should be. They include On/Off ASA's, locking feednecks, good triggers, and other goodies. All for under $350.
100toakill says: HAIL TRUE METAL

#14 User is offline   Prodigy 

• Public Enemy #1
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:DavidP1013

Posted 11 November 2007 - 07:37 PM

I really think if you're going to spend extra money the PMR or the SLG are your best bets. Proto>SP any day of the week.
Team Krisis
You gas up the marker, put on the gloves, strap on the mask, and walk onto the field.. it doesn't matter that you failed a test, that your girlfriend broke up with you last night, or that you got a ticket on the way there...your world is right for the next couple hours, this is your heaven on earth... live it... love it..

How the hell could you stop me? Why in the world would you try? I go hard forever that's just how I'm designed, that's just how I was built.

#15 User is offline   Philipp122 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2007 - 08:41 PM

View PostProdigy, on Nov 11 2007, 09:37 PM, said:

I really think if you're going to spend extra money the PMR or the SLG are your best bets. Proto>SP any day of the week.

Yeah, PMRs are better of course, but they cost much more than a stock Ion. The fact is, the only basic upgrade you need on an Ion is a barrel. The stock trigger can be easily fixed to reduce side-to-side wobble and the cheap plastic feel. The stock ASA isn't the best, but a drop will fix it. You don't need a QEV, but it's a good upgrade for $20. Basically, it's all a matter of personal opinion. Some people view the 'features' as a neccesity, while others don't want them at all.

I personally do not have a trigger; I fixed my stock one. But I did get an on/off ASA for Christmas, as well as a barrel. My Ion has a total of $130 of upgrades. I bought it for $190 new. That's a total of $320 for an Ion with a barrel, QEV, ASA, and a locking feedneck. I'm never buying another aftermarket part for it again because I love it how it is right now.

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users