• You cannot reply to this topic

How far a Commander needs to go Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#1 User is offline   BIGBOSS_202 

• BIGBOSS_202
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:BIGBOSS_202

Posted 07 January 2009 - 12:30 PM

For a commander, haveing the right gear is vidal. But wahat about those on your team. A team also needs the right gear for woods and scenario games or any kind of tactical situation because I've seen players with speedball gear do decently or they get hammered. The thing with my team, I'm not only the commander but I'm also the logistics and supply officer. I'm responceible for getting my team the gear required to play. I buy the stuff on Spec Ops and Ebay and see to it that my team has the color or pattern they requested and make sure it's the gear they either want or need.

The question is, Is this going to far for a good team commander?
JOIN THE WOODSBALL REVOLUTION

#2 User is offline   Saifoda2 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Saifoda

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:35 PM

Well, it really depends on how you run your team. What exactly are the duties of the logistics and the supply officer? As Commander you can choose to delegate authority, which you have done by creating the positions which you occupy (and I imagine others as well) so you need to clearly define what those jobs are and what exactly those responsibilities entail.

My personal opinion is that yes, buying markers, equipment, paint, anything other than tools, lube, or other "SWAG" is not the job of the team. If your team members don't buy their own equipment then their dedication is more than questionable. And yes I figured this out the hard way.

Now, if your team members are giving you the money to buy the stuff (to save on shipping, for example) then that's a whole other story.
Proud to be sponsored by: REDZ, Warpaint International, VPSByte, Action Acres, Dangerous Power
Leaders Lead from the Front

#3 User is offline   BIGBOSS_202 

• BIGBOSS_202
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 January 2009 - 12:26 AM

We all work blue collor jobs and everyone has there own gear they bought. I'm the only one in the team with both an ebay and a Spec Ops account, but they use there cards on my account to get any gear they need. Otherwise I buy the paint and any last minute gear. And two of my guys are in collage on top of it and most of my budget goes to bills and food at work for the week.

#4 User is offline   Saifoda2 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:02 AM

That's not a bad way to go about. As the Commander your job is to make your team as prepared as possible for events. Your job isn't to be the "arm chair" commander that most people who just play RTS's and think they know of everything about being a commander would think it is. It requires an attitude and realization that your job is to provide your team with the ability to fulfill it's mission, whatever that mission is.
Proud to be sponsored by: REDZ, Warpaint International, VPSByte, Action Acres, Dangerous Power

#5 User is offline   rcp_90 

• RECON!
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:rcp_90

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:54 PM

Personally, I just take a hands-off approach with supply/logistics. If they want it, they can go online and buy it. I have 30 people on my team (scenario, we roll deep like that) and I just don't have the time and energy to hold their hands like that. Especially since an ebay account takes about 10 minutes to create!

The only time to really centralize your money is when you're doing either a bulk deal or buying "team" equipment. But neither of those should be a frequent occurrence, especially if you're already set up decently.

This post has been edited by rcp_90: 08 January 2009 - 05:55 PM

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

#6 User is offline   JackRock 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:JackRock

Posted 08 January 2009 - 06:13 PM

Depending on the size of your team, this is not a bad way to go - As long as they are providing the funds for their own gear. With a team like mine (30-40 players), it's not feasible. Our supply officers focus mostly on pieces that will be used team-wide (components for the tank, the rocket launcher, etc.).
This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My sig is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My sig, without me, is useless. Without my sig, I am useless. I must type my sig true. I must spell better than my enemy who is trying to judge me. I must type before he ridicules me. I WILL... My sig and I know that what counts in this forum is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the splatter we make. We know that it is the hits that count. WE WILL HIT... Before the Admins, I swear this creed. My sig and myself are the defenders of my forum. We are the masters of our enemy. WE ARE THE SAVIORS OF MY PROFILE. - Tippmann Owner #pi

#7 User is offline   BIGBOSS_202 

• BIGBOSS_202
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 January 2009 - 12:12 PM

It's just me and 3-4 other guys. Roughly the size of a squad or fire team. With the way money is, it's hard to do anything and my getting them gear also make for a good gift idea for holidays and birthdays. They give me the cash and I take care of the shipping and handling.

#8 User is offline   Saifoda2 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 January 2009 - 02:50 PM

So you are paying for shipping out of your own pocket? This is not a good policy. There can be no success or growth with this. Yes it will attract people to your team, but you will lose out in the end. Just imagine the day when you reach 30-40 players and you have all of them buying gear and you're paying for shipping. Could run up as much as $1000+.

Yes money is tight, it is for everybody, but this is not a time to be telling people "I'll pay for part of your stuff just cause I want you on my team." If you are, then why do you want them on your team? When times get hard like this, it really shows who is truly dedicated and who is just conveniently dedicated.

#9 User is offline   BIGBOSS_202 

• BIGBOSS_202
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2009 - 07:09 PM

My haveing 30-40 guys will never happen. I do make them pay shipping most of the time but if they don't have the cash to cover it I will. I know there is no chance my team will become 30-40 strong because I can't get out to do it that much because of work and bills.

#10 User is offline   Violator 

• The Pirate King / Grammar Cop
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Violator

Posted 11 January 2009 - 10:32 PM

In just about every team I was ever on or lead, each player was responsible for their own gear, the only exception being when we were sponsored. Even then, though, each player was still paying out-of pocket for additional gear that we didn't get for free/cheap. I think you are going above and beyond by paying S/H fees, but it's your call. A team doesn't have to be exactly uniform or have all the same gear/look to be a "team" or be good, for that matter.

It's very nice of you to pay the extra expenses, and since you're a small team, it isn't much, but I'd be careful about going too deep into your own pocket- it sets a bad precedent and makes your players rely on you too much, in my book. If someone needs the cash- maybe all the other players could split the expense... more democratic that way :)
This, is my BOOMSTICK!-Ash... (395 Brownie Pts)...Where do you keep your Bucccaneers? Under Me Buckin' Hat!

Ever fire two guns whilst jumping thru the air? No. Ever fire one gun whilst jumping thru the air? No!

#11 User is offline   BIGBOSS_202 

• BIGBOSS_202
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 January 2009 - 08:51 PM

I'll have to take that into thought because we all chip in for paint abd field fees. As a commander you need to pick up the slack of your team if they can't get the nesasary funds for this game. The price of paint at my local Wal-Mart have gone to $30 for a 2000 round box of Monster paint.

#12 User is offline   shadow_772 

• Never compromise, even in the face of armageddon
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Shadow_772

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:49 PM

You don't use monster balls do you? I hope not anyway...

As a commander you need to pick up the slack of your team if they can't get the nesasary funds for this game.

I don't think of it that way. It is their responsibility to get the funds required to play, if they don't then how committed are they. I understand money is tight, but if I say I will go, I don't expect anyone else to help pay my way.

#13 User is offline   Saifoda2 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:22 AM

Yeah, I have to disagree with your command philosophy there. You are the Commander, not the baby sitter. If your players can't (or are not willing to, as the case may be) pay for their stuff, even a portion of it, they are not fulfilling their inherent obligations as players on a team. Everybody chipping in and helping each other and all that kinda stuff is very good, but you have to be careful that you don't become known as "Captain Discount."

#14 User is offline   BIGBOSS_202 

• BIGBOSS_202
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:43 PM

hard times call for drastic action if you wanna stay in the game. They provide transportation and I supply most of the paint. Other than that, they bring there own gear and I never spent a dime on it.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users