• You cannot reply to this topic

Local Tournaments It's the Ref's fault! Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Dark Shadow Hunter 

• Screwball, one each.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Dark Shadow Hunter

Posted 15 April 2008 - 01:13 PM

One thing I have noticed over the years is that refs get a lot of grief at local tournaments. The teams that really hammer on the refs are the ones that place 3rd or below. They state the reffs make all kinds of bad calls and that is why they did so horribly at the tournament. It doesn't matter which field they go to either. The story is always the same "The reffs were cheating for the other team," or "The reffs had no clue what they were doing."

If your team is one of those that never seems to be able to place above 4th place at a tournament "because of bad calls" I urge you to take a look at your team instead. Do you work well together as a team? How well do you communicate on and off the field? What do you do for team practice? Do you run drills at all or do you just play a few games and call it practice?

I am not saying that every team that blames the reffs need work. However in my area, the bulk of teams blaming the reffs need a lot of work.

Now there is another end for the spectrum. If you are a top notch team in your area and suddenly you find yourself in the bottom half of a tournament, there may be an issue with the reffs. Of course teams that know their stuff will know the differance between an off day and bad reffs.

If you honestly believe the reffs are at fault, talk to the field owner or event host. Do not wait until a week after the tournament and complain about the reffs on an online forum or field review. Talk to the owner or host that day before the end of the tournament. Field owners and event producers will take the questions seriously and look into them. Afterall local events are put on for the enjoyment of the players.

Bottom line: Please do not take the easy way out and blame the reffs. Look at all the factors involved with a local tournament. You may very well be surprised with what you find.

#2 Guest_Cesar_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 15 April 2008 - 01:16 PM

Ref. calls are a part of the game...good...bad...fair...

#3 User is offline   Tu_Padre 

• Group: Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:West Staines Massive

Posted 15 April 2008 - 01:18 PM

most calls that the refs make are good calls, it's just some people don't want to admit they can't win. I've never seen a cheating ref, i've seen one bad call and it was against our opponents. The ref promptly appologized and fixed it.

But that's true, if you think it was the ref's tell them, niceley and immediatley. They have no problem talling you why and what happened and listening to your points. As long as you do it in a calm and respecful manner. In fact, I encourage people to ask me "why?" it helps them learn the game.

Good post. Any experience that made you post this? Like did you see a team do it.

Group:banned #16 Feedback: SpecOps +14/-0 MCB: +2/-0

#4 User is offline   Dark Shadow Hunter 

• Screwball, one each.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2008 - 01:26 PM

View PostTu_Padre, on Apr 15 2008, 04:18 PM, said:

Good post. Any experience that made you post this? Like did you see a team do it.

Simple, the local tournament season is beginning in Michigan. I know there will be some carry over from last season, as always happens from year to year. At the end of last season a few teams were blaming the reffs for how they placed in the tournaments. It happens every year and I am just plain tired of teams blaming reffs for no real reason.

#5 User is offline   Kavemann 

• Heroes get remembered, But Legends never Die.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Kavemann

Posted 15 April 2008 - 01:28 PM

View PostDark Shadow Hunter, on Apr 15 2008, 02:13 PM, said:

One thing I have noticed over the years is that refs get a lot of grief at local tournaments. The teams that really hammer on the refs are the ones that place 3rd or below. They state the reffs make all kinds of bad calls and that is why they did so horribly at the tournament. It doesn't matter which field they go to either. The story is always the same "The reffs were cheating for the other team," or "The reffs had no clue what they were doing."

If your team is one of those that never seems to be able to place above 4th place at a tournament "because of bad calls" I urge you to take a look at your team instead. Do you work well together as a team? How well do you communicate on and off the field? What do you do for team practice? Do you run drills at all or do you just play a few games and call it practice?

I am not saying that every team that blames the reffs need work. However in my area, the bulk of teams blaming the reffs need a lot of work.

Now there is another end for the spectrum. If you are a top notch team in your area and suddenly you find yourself in the bottom half of a tournament, there may be an issue with the reffs. Of course teams that know their stuff will know the differance between an off day and bad reffs.

If you honestly believe the reffs are at fault, talk to the field owner or event host. Do not wait until a week after the tournament and complain about the reffs on an online forum or field review. Talk to the owner or host that day before the end of the tournament. Field owners and event producers will take the questions seriously and look into them. Afterall local events are put on for the enjoyment of the players.

Bottom line: Please do not take the easy way out and blame the reffs. Look at all the factors involved with a local tournament. You may very well be surprised with what you find.

Yes he is right never jump the gun and go straight for the ref.. If you take a long good look at your team you may find the answer within.

Cavemann
-----------
NO MESS WITH KAVEMANN!

THRILL BILLY #1

#6 User is offline   TyTy 

• Formerly known as Ty29...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Cpt.Ringo

Posted 15 April 2008 - 02:31 PM

You're right when say people can't admit they can't win. Just take a look at practiaclly anyones brigade page. The kill to death ratios for example, how come no one ever gets hit? Most people always have a somewhat large gap between kills and deaths, kills being the greater number. It's pride...
-Ty :ghillie:

#7 User is offline   Esgar 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Shadowmeld

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:59 PM

Yea, that seems to run pretty common in most sports. SOmetimes it's a legitimate complaint, but most of teh time it's just whining.
Any joe with a rifle can make long shots. A true sniper is a master of stealth and concealment.
IPB Image

#8 User is offline   TyTy 

• Formerly known as Ty29...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Cpt.Ringo

Posted 15 April 2008 - 06:46 PM

BTW Shadow, are you going to the Lord of the Rings game this weekend by any chance in Cadillac? I'm pretty sure Hole in the Wall sponsors or has vendors there. I'm not sure that might've been the T.C. games though.
-Ty :ghillie:

#9 User is offline   commander mike 

• the door is locked now but its open if your true - Metallica
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:commander mike

Posted 15 April 2008 - 07:01 PM

I never had any problems with the refs at my field in all the tournaments we have joined.
Posted Image
Friends dont let friends shoot .50 cal... - The Stuntman

#10 User is offline   Dark Shadow Hunter 

• Screwball, one each.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2008 - 07:44 PM

View PostTy29, on Apr 15 2008, 09:46 PM, said:

BTW Shadow, are you going to the Lord of the Rings game this weekend by any chance in Cadillac? I'm pretty sure Hole in the Wall sponsors or has vendors there. I'm not sure that might've been the T.C. games though.
-Ty B)

Nope I am not attentding the LOTR game this weekend. My money is going towards Judge Dredd next month at Sherwood Forest in LaPorte, IN.

I send you a PM about the rest of the stuff.

#11 User is offline   kook 

• leet as the street
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:47 PM

My friends and I play without refs (outlaw) and really, If a ref calls me out, I'll trust him. If its that bad of a call, someone other than me will surely notice. And really, in the wnd who cares what place you got? I play paintball for the sake of playing paintball, not so I can say "I got 1st!"
My SpecOps Feedback

Put This In Your Sig if You Work Long And Hard For Your Paintball Money
I support Mike and TechPb. Put this in your sig if you do too.

#12 User is offline   Dark Shadow Hunter 

• Screwball, one each.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2008 - 01:36 PM

Kook, there is a huge differance between outlaw and local tournaments. Even in the local tournaments there is usually a prize on the line for at least first place. With outlaw, usually it is just bragging rights on the line.

#13 User is offline   STAZ211 

• Do it........i dare you
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:STAZ211

Posted 16 April 2008 - 08:34 PM

View PostDark Shadow Hunter, on Apr 15 2008, 04:13 PM, said:

agreed. especialy at scenarios. theres hundereds of players and only so many refs. they (usualy) are doing the best they can. they might miss a wipe or too, but these things happen. i dont think that people should cry over it. let them ref a scenario and see how it is.
"Let he who desires peace prepare for war..."

"Home of the free, because of the brave..."

#14 User is offline   Dark Shadow Hunter 

• Screwball, one each.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 April 2008 - 11:29 AM

I say they should spend a month reffing at their field. Those that complain should have to ref a tournament, a scenario, and a few private groups. It will make them appreciate the hard work we reffs do a lot more.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users