Special Ops Paintball: Upgrade Compatibility List for the 98 Series - Special Ops Paintball

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Upgrade Compatibility List for the 98 Series The big list of what works with what! Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   WardenWolf 

• Aspie Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:WardenWolf

Posted 12 November 2005 - 06:53 AM

All right, seems there's a degree of confusion floating around as to what works with what. Let's see if we can clear some of this up. If anyone has anything else they think should be on here, simply reply and I will include it.

98-threaded Barrels

Fits: Model 98, 98 Custom, Custom Pro. SEE NOTES:

Tippmann slightly altered the barrel thread on new 98 Customs after serial# 495,000. This also applies to Custom Pros. The new guns will not always accept the old barrels, but the new barrels will work on all the old guns. This means if you were to buy a new barrel now, it will still work on your Model 98. If you have an old barrel from several years ago, however, there is a good chance it will not work on a new gun. One workaround is to loosen the front bolt and the bolt on the grip, screw the barrel in, and then retighten them. This works part of the time. If it does not work, you will need to buy a barrel adapter to make it work or upgrade your barrel.

Cyclone Feed System

Fits: 98 Custom, Custom Pro.

Model 98's can be modified by drilling out the hole for the new power tube notch. Recommend a drill press for this job, although it is not required. Marking the spot and then using a pin vise to start the hole also works. This is a low risk procedure, as it is not in a gas-sensitive spot. If uncomfortable performing it yourself, call Tippmann.

Response Trigger System

Fits: 98 Custom, Custom Pro

Model 98's can be upgraded by Tippmann to accept this. This requires extensive milling of the grip portion of the Receiver. You cannot perform this upgrade yourself. Call (not email) Tippmann at the number provided on their website.

Cyclone Feed AND Response Trigger System

This is entirely doable, but it requires you to purchase a T-fitting kit. This kit ranges from $10 to $20. Check tippmannparts.com for availability if you cannot find it elsewhere. It's theoretically still doable on the Model 98, but it requires Tippmann to perform the Response Trigger installation; once done, you can add the Cyclone at any time. Due to the potential for problems, this combination is not recommended. It has been determined that using these two upgrades together will take the Cyclone to very near its cutoff point for operating pressure. If you are going to do this, you NEED a Vortex ratchet. Otherwise your Cyclone may severely malfunction, resulting in chops, double feeds, and more.

E-Trigger

Fits: Custom Pro, NEW 98 Customs with Anti-Chop Technology. SEE NOTES:

Custom Pros and the new 98 Customs with ACT can accept this mod. Older 98 Customs cannot accept it. Tippmann will CANNOT update older 98 Customs to support it. New 98 Customs and the Custom Pro use an A-5 sear, and it is impossible to make the old receivers accept it. As a result, full receiver replacement is necessary. You can buy the receivers yourself and perform the conversion, but this is rather expensive. Tippmann changed the gun about 3 times within 4 months, with the ACT being the only advertised obvious feature change. If it has ACT, it can take it. If not, chances are it cannot.

Low Pressure Kit

This kit, while a small performance boost, is not without its problems. Some users report installation difficulties, and all report it adds a noticeable amount of weight to the marker. It is also rather expensive, and requires you purchase a regulator in addition to the kit. In its stock configuration, it prevents you from mounting a buttstock on your gun. Reports also indicate it slows the rate of fire for the response trigger. It also should cause major problems for a stock Cyclone Feed. Overall, this should be the last thing you purchase, if you purchase it at all. It costs the most money, offers the least improvement, and causes the most problems. An equally effective, yet cheaper and less disruptive solution is simply to get an inline regulator like a Palmers Stabilizer.

Stocks

Fits: Model 98, 98 Custom, Custom Pro

Older stocks will not work on newer 98 Customs that have the anti-chop capabilities. You CAN modify them to be usable, however, by drilling a hole or notch to match the equivalent hole in the original endcap. Newer stocks are backwards compatible, and will fit every marker from the Model 98 onwards. See notes on the Rocket Cock II.

Front Bolt Upgrades (front bolt only, NOT bolt and powertube)

These markers are all identical as far as the front bolt is concerned. Any front bolt upgrade will fit any one of these markers.

Dead On Proseal Power Tube

Model 98 can be upgraded to fit this as per the requirements for the Cyclone Feed. Performing the upgrade will also enable you to fit the Cyclone Feed without further alterations. All other versions require no alteration.

Double Trigger Kits

The Model 98 can accept double trigger kits, although they have to be specifically designed for it. The 98 Custom and Custom Pro use a different trigger design than the Model 98. Trigger parts are not interchangeable between the 98 Custom and Model 98.

Rocket Cock II

Fits: Model 98, 98 Custom, Custom Pro.

If you have a rear stock that is wider than your receiver, this may not work. A collapsible stock may work, but be aware that the stock must be extended some distance in order to use it. At this point in time, known-working stocks include any of the JCS stocks, all Special Ops stocks, and the Pro Team Sniper F/X Stock. It may have minor problems with some air-through stocks, but the Longbow stock is known to work just fine.

HPA / Compressed Air / N2 Tanks

As long as it's a preset bottle, it will have standard ASA threads and can be fitted to your gun without any modifications whatsoever. There used to be a few oddball tanks floating around that had non-ASA threads and required various adaptations in order to work, but these are now rare. Almost any tank you can find today will be ASA-compatible. You do NOT need to upgrade your remote line in order to use these, regardless of what manufacturers try to sell you! You will be buying the exact same remote you bought previously, but at double the price.

Remote Lines

These things work with all guns, regardless of configuration. Remotes that have slide checks may have reliability issues. If you're concerned, get one without and save yourself the money; just dry fire it upside down like you always do before disconnecting. If you really want a slide check, buy a good remote from a company such as ProCaps or buy a slide check afttermarket from Lapco. Do NOT buy expensive "High Pressure" Remote Lines. They are no different than the normal one designed for CO2 that costs half as much.

Rear Bolts / Hammers

98 Custom hammers will fit older 98 Customs, Custom Pro's, and Model 98's. The Anti-Chop System on newer 98 markers is not compatible with older rear bolt designs. If you have a newer gun with ACS, there are currently no known aftermarket rear bolts that will fit your marker.

This post has been edited by WardenWolf: 15 February 2008 - 01:44 PM

Kanye: "Yo, Chile, I'm gonna let you finish shakin', but I just got to say Haiti had one of the best earthquakes of all time!"
Save a tree: wipe your ass with a hippie!

#2 User is offline   jmac 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Jmac

Posted 12 November 2005 - 01:10 PM

Wow, great post Pheonix...
user posted image

#3 User is offline   ilikepaintballs 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:airider

Posted 12 November 2005 - 03:11 PM

PhoenixWolf, on Nov 12 2005, 06:53 AM, said:

Double Trigger Kits

The Model 98 has a fixed trigger guard and different trigger design. It cannot accept any of the double trigger kits without modification by Tippmann.

Rocket Cock II

Fits: 98 Custom, Custom Pro. Should fit Model 98 as well. Anyone want to confirm?

Note: If you have a rear stock that is wider than your receiver, this will not work.

the model 98 does have double trigger kits. And if the stock is wider than the receiver but collapsible the rocket cock 2 will still work.

#4 User is offline   WardenWolf 

• Aspie Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 November 2005 - 03:20 PM

Thanks. Updated.

Any mods want to sticky this? I'll maintain it as needed when new information comes around.

This post has been edited by PhoenixWolf: 12 November 2005 - 09:40 PM

Kanye: "Yo, Chile, I'm gonna let you finish shakin', but I just got to say Haiti had one of the best earthquakes of all time!"

#5 Guest_WeapsO_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 13 November 2005 - 05:15 PM

a link to this thread was added into my "ultimate tippmann info" thread.

there's too many stickies in this forum already, so i'm not gonna give it it's own sticky.

#6 User is offline   WardenWolf 

• Aspie Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 November 2005 - 05:02 AM

Update: Added info on the Low Pressure Kit, improved info on the E-Trigger, and updated the Rocket Cock II information.

This post has been edited by PhoenixWolf: 26 November 2005 - 05:06 AM

#7 User is offline   Snake Eyes 2 

• Co-founder & Mouthpiece- Average Joes
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Snake Eyes_AJ

Posted 08 May 2006 - 10:24 AM

Brilliant work Wolf. A big TY for this. :D

Team Leader- Average Joes Paintballl
Proud member of the Woodland Warriors,
98OG Member
The Average Joes are sponsored by: Mad Cow Paintball

#8 User is offline   Shane_98c 

• OPBD - Obsessive Paintball Disorder
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Shane_98c

Posted 13 May 2006 - 08:29 PM

Great post pheonix. This will help me and a lot of others.

Thanks,
Shane

#9 User is offline   BACKYARDPAINTBALLER 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:BACKYARDPAINTBALLER

Posted 23 May 2006 - 03:46 PM

You may want to look into the new ACT system. I tried to understand it, but it was a little confusing. I t's supposed to make the 98c un-chop-able. I was also wondering if I can upgrade my 98c with it, but I could not find out.

#10 User is offline   US_Army_Guy 

• Elite
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:US_Army_Guy

Posted 25 August 2006 - 01:55 AM

newier 98 Customs w/ a push sear can except an E-Trigger, they do not have to have ACT.

#11 User is offline   oerllikon 

• All closed bolt.... Awwww yeeaah
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SIA5 Dagger

Posted 25 August 2006 - 11:28 AM

what does a rocket cock do?

#12 User is offline   US_Army_Guy 

• Elite
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:US_Army_Guy

Posted 25 August 2006 - 06:24 PM

a rocket cock fits over the cocking nob of your gun sealing it off from any possible debrie com entering into your marker, it also quiets your gun down a bit as well. If you play woodsball, its deffenetly something worth looking into getting.

http://www.specialopspaintball.com/shop/pr...AT=107202302406

#13 User is offline   Wes Desto 

• <space for rent>....what..im poor
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Wes Desto

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:35 AM

one question that begs to be asked is:

Can a Response trigger, Cyclone (with the t adaptor) and a ACT bolt work together.

If not state why, and possible mods you can do to make it work.

I just bought the Cyclone for the 98 and the RT, but i want ACT for that added level of protection
(cyclone and RT = Paint blender at high ROF)
Heavy Sniper M4-98c
"Bend and Grin Boys. Its PARTY time!"
OSOK Member

Sniper 7

#14 User is offline   WardenWolf 

• Aspie Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:45 PM

It is doable, but I strongly recommend a Vortex ratchet. On my 98 Custom, it caused the Cyclone Feed to feed slowly and misfeed. Lots of chops, double feeds, and the like. And the RT didn't work well, either. There simply wasn't enough gas to operate both on a 98 Custom. The A-5 is designed a little more with that in mind, so it works better (but not always problem-free).

The reason I specify ACT guns for accepting the E-Trigger is because Tippmann did not provide the serial numbers for when they did the changeover to the push sear. There was a large grey area where people didn't know whether their gun would work or not, and many retailers still had old stock. Then they upgraded all guns to ACT, and all of those guns would accept it. So that's the gold standard: if it has ACT, it can take an E-Trigger. If it doesn't, but was bought right before it, it MIGHT accept it.

This post has been edited by WardenWolf: 17 March 2007 - 07:50 PM

#15 User is offline   Snake Eyes 2 

• Co-founder & Mouthpiece- Average Joes
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Snake Eyes_AJ

Posted 19 March 2007 - 07:47 PM

Will a 98C with the ATC work with all 98 stocks? I have a Voodoo folding stock on my Model 98, but I was thinking of getting a new 98C ( with ATC) so I can easily add the Cyclone.

Team Leader- Average Joes Paintballl
Proud member of the Woodland Warriors,
98OG Member
The Average Joes are sponsored by: Mad Cow Paintball

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users