• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Triangle of Death Good ambush for a 3 man group Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Nom Carver 

• My browser PWNS yours!!!
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 02 September 2008 - 04:59 PM

Last time I was on the field I tried this tactic and it actually worked. I've come to call it the triangle of death. The minimum amount of people needed to execute this ambush is three. Here is a diagram to help visualize it, then I'll explain.

Posted Image

I suppose the path doesn't have to be shaped like this it could be shaped like a upside down T. Now what you do is put one group of people on either side of the path with good cover. When I did this we only had three so it was one person on either side of the path. Make sure that these players are a ways up the path but still able to see the intersection. Then you have one person in the middle of the intersection with good soft cover so he can't be spotted. Having a ghillie suit on the guy would help a lot. Now as soon as the enemy comes within sight of the two groups up the path, those groups should open fire, drawing the enemy into a firefight. Before they have a chance to flank the lone man should take at least one out without alerting any of the other enemy's that he is there. Use angles. Aim for the side of the head, that way they won't be able to tell that it came from behind. When I used this tactic I was the sniper, and there were only two enemy's, but I don't see why it wouldn't work when dealing with more.
(\__,,
( x x) <--- This is Bunny if I see him in one more signature...
(")_ -==(")
Dear Tippmann, Clamshells suck. Signed, Friggin everybody - F-3
feedback My How to paint snakeskin how-to; OMG!!!

#2 User is offline   jonfl1 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Jackal111

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:50 AM

This could be easily adapted to a single footpath or road and not just an intersection. The key would be to use a well-concealed or ghillied sniper at the base of the T as close to the road as possible. They could then initiate fire and trigger the other two to begin the crossfire from further down the road.

Great post, and I'll have to try this at a future event!

This post has been edited by jonfl1: 03 September 2008 - 01:19 PM

#3 User is offline   mr.m21 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:mr.m21

Posted 03 September 2008 - 01:14 PM

Nom Carver, on Sep 2 2008, 08:59 PM, said:

Aim for the side of the head, that way they won't be able to tell that it came from behind.

I wouldn't aim for the side of the head because A the head is a smaller target than say the chest/harness and B head shots hurt!!! But nice strategy! i'll have to try it.
"Tippmanns are the AK-47s of paintball, Do what ever you want to them they WILL WORK!
I'm the belt feed question machine!!

#4 User is offline   -SMITTY- 

• one of the original 27,731 members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:-SMITTY-

Posted 03 September 2008 - 02:14 PM

Good idea, although the only issue I have is the blue guy on the bottom. He is in the other 2 guys line of fire, and could(unlikely) catch a few friendly paintballs. might be better to have him off to the side somewhere. I do understand that this could be adopted to any kind of path, but the sniper would just have to be aware

#5 User is offline   Knight Hiro 

• Knight Hiro
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Knight Hiro

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:37 PM

good job might beable to simplify it along a single path, I have a play similar to this one i call it distraction.
Warriors unite its time for the end of the world!!!!

#6 User is offline   Picasso 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 03 September 2008 - 10:51 PM

It's a lot easier to just criss-cross, filling in all firing lanes alongside a trail.
By the way, have you ever tried this tactic?
I will give my all, I will do my best, I will never give up.
Christian

#7 User is offline   hughes8049 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 04 September 2008 - 10:33 AM

-SMITTY-, on Sep 3 2008, 05:14 PM, said:

Good idea, although the only issue I have is the blue guy on the bottom. He is in the other 2 guys line of fire, and could(unlikely) catch a few friendly paintballs. might be better to have him off to the side somewhere. I do understand that this could be adopted to any kind of path, but the sniper would just have to be aware

The idea would (or should) be to have the two other players outside the range of the sniper. When the sniper initiates fire the enemy should be within range of both groups. For example if the sniper takes a shot from say 100 feet and the toher two are another 75 feet away there is very little chance of fratracide. Also, after the sniper begins shooting it is natural for the enmy to run towards his team making them easy targets. This method is quite effective and is a proven military strategy however the positions are slightly different.
"It takes more courage to suffer than to die."

-Napoleon Bonaparte-

#8 User is offline   Nom Carver 

• My browser PWNS yours!!!
  • PipPip

Posted 11 September 2008 - 02:47 PM

Picasso, on Sep 4 2008, 01:51 AM, said:

It's a lot easier to just criss-cross, filling in all firing lanes alongside a trail.
By the way, have you ever tried this tactic?

Yes I have tried this tactic, it worked very well.
(\__,,
( x x) <--- This is Bunny if I see him in one more signature...
(")_ -==(")
Dear Tippmann, Clamshells suck. Signed, Friggin everybody - F-3
feedback My How to paint snakeskin how-to; OMG!!!

#9 User is offline   Knightwolf16 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Knightwolf16

Posted 12 September 2008 - 05:39 AM

Its a decent tactic but from what I've found is that most players get off trails. More experienced players hits the woods and try to avoid trails. Against newbies, definitely a solid tactic depending on the cover and the patience of those executing the ambush.
"Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war." William Shakespeare
Nous sommes les seigneurs de la guerre, tremblons avant nous
The Lords of War The Lords of War on MySpace The Lords of War MSN Group Page

#10 User is offline   kendoka-x 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:kendoka-x

Posted 19 September 2008 - 12:39 PM

one thing i would be inclined to do is to use some bait with this. That is to say have a full pod in the middle of the kill zone. One of the op4 will see it and possibly go for it. Because it is there they may figure that no one is there since no one picked it up. when he picks it up his eyes are on the the ground so he won't see the attack. hopefully everyone's guard will be down and at least 2 will be dead before the op4 can return fire. but make sure to get the pod back after the shootout.

#11 User is offline   Flippy the Wonder Bunny 

• My E-MAN PART is bigger than yours
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 September 2008 - 07:58 PM

Thats a pretty good tactic. But you might have to be worried about friendly fire since you have that one guy behind the op4 and the 2 in front of it.

#12 User is offline   TOPHATBOB 

• Ghillie Suit, Tophat
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:TOPHATBOB

Posted 18 October 2008 - 03:43 PM

I actually prefer to be hit in the head, as long as not the back, because mask=no pain and easy to clean
the best way to score "kills" in paintball: Shoot your opponent.

#13 User is offline   With_Force 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:WITHFORCE

Posted 18 October 2008 - 06:14 PM

I only have two gripes about this tactic;

A.) To me, it is situational and dependent on the movement of the enemy. I don't know what kind of people you usually play with, but the people I play with are (in my opinion) too experienced to take the trails and have a good eye for choke points and ambush-rich environments. I don't mean to knock the tactic, because as you said, it works... but, a perfect Triangle of Death seems to fall in line with use against "newbies who don't know better" or "people who don't know the field." I find that some of the best tactics focus around your group and how you plan for adversity (as in: reactive strategy) instead of preprogrammed ideas based on location and movement of another human being.

B.) I've never liked the idea of a three-man, broken-up ambush. You're creating angles, but (in a world of a bps limit of 15 in outlaw woodsball) you're not creating a significant advantage as, say, three guys up ahead on the left, two on the right, and one in the back. Then, if you catch a similar-sized unit unawares, instead of three guys pounding 15bps at three angles, you have 45bps from one angle, 30bps from another, and 15bps from the "trap door" of the ambush swinging shut to cut off a tactical retreat.

I'm not knocking it, because if it works for you, that's all that matters... but that's what I would do differently if I were to use it.

This post has been edited by With_Force: 18 October 2008 - 06:15 PM

Who needs subtlety? I shoot until the woods are monochrome.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users