• You cannot reply to this topic

A culture of Safety

#1 User is offline   esperto96 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:esperto96

Posted 09 November 2008 - 09:51 AM

This has been bothering me for a while now and I finally decided to post something about it. When I started playing paintball, I played at a commercial field and had the safety instructions drilled into my head. One of the best gifts my now ex-wife gave me was a pocket chrono. Whenever I broguht new players into the sport, I taught them the safe limits for velocity, the importance of masks, and that every gun needs a barrel blocking device. Whether we were at the commercial field or playing outlaw ball, safety mattered.

And then along came the SpecOps Brigade and things began to change in the area. Our ability to meet up with other groups at non-commercial fields grew dramatically, making it much easier to play regularly. That's a good thing.

The bad part is I'm also seeing a decline in the safety standards. More people are playing who've never been to a commercial field to hear the safety briefing and aren't hearing it from those that play it. Yesterday, I showed up late to a game and found that nobody had chronoed and out of the ten or twelve people, I was the only one with a chrono. Only a handful of the players were interested in chronographing their guns while us latecomers did. Also, many people didn't have any barrel blocking device whatsoever. And when I told everyone to get one, I got responses like, "well I've got a safety".

I don't think the people are deliberately being unsafe in general. They just were never told. The safety conscientious culture fostered by only being able to play in your own group of hand picked safety conscious players or a commercial field is fading (at least in my area). I admit that many times, I have just sucked it up to play but it is getting so bad I think it's time to start being the safety prick until people get it.

I'm considering getting barrel blocking devices to lend to people even. And let them buy them off of me at cost if they want. Otherwise, they can return them to me at the end of the game. I'm also considering bringing a list of printed and laminated safety rules to do a briefing. And when new people show up late they get a briefing too. If others begin doing this too, the newcomers to the sport will learn by hearing it from many voices. And us veterans need to be the ones to start the change.

#2 User is offline   1-I 

• Creator of the number 7
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Brigade Name:1-I

Posted 09 November 2008 - 03:00 PM

i think the standard response to your problem has become the following

print a copy of the story of me and make them read it.

from what i hear it seems to work.
Posted Image

Glory is for the weak.

#3 User is offline   lethalpanther 

• OOO a lizard!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:lethalpanther1

Posted 09 November 2008 - 08:42 PM

1-i, that would be a good idea. fortunately, i go to a field very newb-oriented where they always give a thorough briefing even to regulars. Someone comes in late, they go over the rules again. They always chrono before each game. Lucky me :happy:
It's only a game, you don't need to be afaid of anyone, except for ONE person. Its not the teenager with a marker worth more than your car. Its not the SPPL player with about 35 BPS firing rate. Its the 40 year old guy lying in a corner, taking a nap before the game begins. His camo will probably be old, and he will most likely be toting a pump. He's been playing since before you were born, and if he mentions how much he didn't like when he had to play with oil based paintballs, make SURE he is on your team. This guy is a ghost.-Match99
Your grace...Rhaegar fought valiantly. Rhaegar fought nobly. Rhaegar fought honourably. And Rhaegar died. - Ser Jorah Mormont

#4 User is offline   Violator 

• The Pirate King / Grammar Cop
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Violator

Posted 11 November 2008 - 12:14 AM

It's a shame that safety is being sacrificed for a few extra minutes of play. 1-I's story should be enough to pound some sense into most players, but there are boneheads out there who will only listen when they or someone else is seriously hurt. Safety should never be forgotten or otherwise compromised, and I'd refuse to play with anyone who didn't follow the basics or not allow them to play on the field.

Here's another example of why safety is important:
http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index...=161657&hl=

This post has been edited by Violator: 11 November 2008 - 12:19 AM

This, is my BOOMSTICK!-Ash... (395 Brownie Pts)...Where do you keep your Bucccaneers? Under Me Buckin' Hat!

Ever fire two guns whilst jumping thru the air? No. Ever fire one gun whilst jumping thru the air? No!

#5 User is offline   slowerpig81 

• This man is a Beast with that Phantom. -thisissparta
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:slowerpig81

Posted 11 November 2008 - 08:35 PM

Well, you can't really blame people. Someone has to tell them, or they have to find out themselves. It's not all common sense. Just tell everyone you know.

It's in the manuals, but everyone skips over that. I did, but I got a field training first, before I even knew how to cock a marker :laugh: .

#6 User is offline   Mech CB 

• Warn: (50%)
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mechanical CB

Posted 16 November 2008 - 08:04 PM

when i was going through my mechanic school, they taught us saety through pictures and videos. "here, if you stand infront of a malfunctioning splitrim wheel while airing it up, this is what you'll look like(shows real picture of an airman completley cut in half-lengthwiise)". "if you work with rings on, this is what your finger will look like after something catches on the ring(shows a finger thats 3/4 bone). i tell you what, they only had to tell me once.

maybe if you made one of those displays with three sheets of plywood hinged tgether and put photos of paintball accidents with small articles describing it, you'll get peoples attention. then you could set the display up in a heavy traffic non-gameplay area and people will probably stop and read it as they have time.

#7 User is offline   Pirate 

• I aim to misbehave.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PirateCaptain

Posted 19 November 2008 - 01:18 AM

When I got back in to playing, we only played at my friends house (he had a big backyard).
We'd chrono by using a gun we knew was legal, and all shoot compared to it. If your ball went faster, you turn it down.
That went on for a couple years without any problem. I've always thought about getting a hand chrono (not those yellow ones though...), but that's mostly for when I'm tech'ing my and my friends guns at home.
My job is to be an asshole. I excel at the position.
We put our glass to the sky and lift up. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya. So raise a pint for the people that aren't with us. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya...
Austin Michelle Cloyd, Forever in my heart. We love you, Ayesha! Rest in Peace Tyler Hackett
Rest in Peace, Dave Brockie! Cam Cam #83

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users