Special Ops Paintball: What's wrong with my Monte Carlo? - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's wrong with my Monte Carlo? Rather bizarre one-time incident... Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Silent-7 

• Christian Paintballer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Silent-7

Posted 08 November 2009 - 07:21 PM

OK, so I have every intention of taking my car in to get looked at. But until I have time for that, I figured it couldn't hurt to ask for some help in here since I know we have some car guys on the SO forum.

I drive a 1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 coupe with the 3.4 Liter V6. About a week ago I started it up, and it immediately starting making an awful banging noise, at a rate of 3 or 4 per second, accompanied by a minor-but-noticeable rocking of the car back and forth. My first reaction was that it was going to die on me, so I gave it just a little gas. This really had no effect. I waited a few more seconds to see if anything would happen, and noticed that both the "check engine" and "change oil soon" lights were on. Nothing really changed so I was about to shut it off, when the banging suddenly stopped. I waited a bit more, gave it a little gas and so on; it seemed to be running normally, and the "check engine" light had turned off. I decided to drive it (I was only going about five minutes away) and it ran completely normally. If it weren't for the "change oil soon" light still being on, I wouldn't have been able to tell anything had happened.

I took a peek under the hood, but I really don't know what I'm looking at. (There wasn't any blood or fur in the belts. ;) ) The oil was changed less than 3000 miles ago, but I still haven't gotten around to pulling the dipstick and seeing if it's somehow low. I've driven it a few times since - it still runs perfectly fine, but the "change oil soon" light is still on. So I'm sort of at a loss.

Any help you can give me would be much appreciated!
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   CamoDeafie 

• LVL 0 Human class flanker-
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2009 - 07:32 PM

the 3.4 Liter v6....is it the LQ1 DOHC 60 degree GM V6 or the 3400 OHV pushrod 60 degree v6?

either way, look through this page 60 degree v6 forum and see which oine you have, it sounds as if your valves are impacting the pistons, BUT I cannot be sure, if it is the 3400 pushrod v6, or the LQ1 DOHC 3.4 V6....since both have quite a bit of different things....
Team Black Sheep, Oregon Division
ex-gunwhore
"All at is subject to political manipulation except that which speaks the language of the same manipulation."-N.S.K./Laibach
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable " - /-wear me!?

#3 User is offline   C0N0R 

• whose the guy who horked our clothes eh?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mad Sabre

Posted 08 November 2009 - 07:33 PM

im no engine expert, but if its at a regular interval like that, could it be detonation in one of the pistons?
SO's own Guitar player/luthier (builder), ask me any questions about guitars or guitar building.
brownie points-15
Gear- Jackson DX10D with OFR, Tremol-no, and concentric pots. Schecter omen 6 with... wait.. wrong forum..
Hope you plan on keeping it, resale on big pickups is dropping faster than your mom's skirt-aqua__scummm

#4 User is offline   Flippy the Wonder Bunny 

• My E-MAN PART is bigger than yours
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2009 - 07:53 PM

This happens more than you'd think, and is pretty easy to diagnose. The magic elves that make your car work are fighting under your hood. I suggest you sacrifice a lamb to them and put some of it's blood on your engine while it's running. Then put a tiny piece of the meat in the gas tank. It's a pretty simple fix.

#5 User is offline   H3 Proto 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:07 PM

Look in your gas tank, that's probably where the problem lies. But it's dark in there, so light a match to illuminate it.

I am not responsible for any injuries sustained.

#6 User is offline   Flippy the Wonder Bunny 

• My E-MAN PART is bigger than yours
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:11 PM

You might get warned for that one, brah.

#7 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:18 PM

View PostCamoDeafie, on Nov 8 2009, 08:32 PM, said:

the 3.4 Liter v6....is it the LQ1 DOHC 60 degree GM V6 or the 3400 OHV pushrod 60 degree v6?

either way, look through this page 60 degree v6 forum and see which oine you have, it sounds as if your valves are impacting the pistons, BUT I cannot be sure, if it is the 3400 pushrod v6, or the LQ1 DOHC 3.4 V6....since both have quite a bit of different things....

View PostC0N0R, on Nov 8 2009, 08:33 PM, said:

im no engine expert, but if its at a regular interval like that, could it be detonation in one of the pistons?

Could be a misfire in one of the pistons. Take the dang thing to AutoZone, or even O'Reilly's, and have them hook it up to the code reader. Chances are the code is still in the computer and you can get some idea of where the trouble occurred.
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#8 User is offline   Silent-7 

• Christian Paintballer
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2009 - 09:55 PM

View PostH3 Proto, on Nov 8 2009, 09:07 PM, said:

Look in your gas tank, that's probably where the problem lies. But it's dark in there, so light a match to illuminate it.

I am not responsible for any injuries sustained.

Tried this. My car is a heap of charred metal and I'm writing this from the hospital. Thanks a lot. :dodgy: :dodgy:

View PostCamoDeafie, on Nov 8 2009, 08:32 PM, said:

How exactly do I figure out what I have from there? I browsed around and did a few searches and what not, but I'm missing it. Could I figure this stuff out from the owner's manual? Sorry, I'm clueless about this stuff.

View PostI.K.E., on Nov 8 2009, 09:18 PM, said:

Could be a misfire in one of the pistons. Take the dang thing to AutoZone, or even O'Reilly's, and have them hook it up to the code reader. Chances are the code is still in the computer and you can get some idea of where the trouble occurred.

I definitely plan to (though I'm at college in a small town, and my choices are limited...). But I figured I'd see what information I could get in the mean time - at the very least whether or not I should be driving it even though it seems fine.
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   CamoDeafie 

• LVL 0 Human class flanker-
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:01 PM

look at the SPID label on the spare tire cover's underside, if it says LQ1, then you have a DOHC 3.4 v6, if it says otherwise, you have the 3400...should be fairly easy to find out, just go to the link i provided, that particular forum is all about the 60 degree GM v6s, both pushrods and DOHC...simply put, if your valve covers look HUGE comparerd to everyone else's cars....then you probably have a DOHC...it shoudl also say DOHC or something somewhere on the engine cover..
Team Black Sheep, Oregon Division
ex-gunwhore
"All at is subject to political manipulation except that which speaks the language of the same manipulation."-N.S.K./Laibach
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable " - /-wear me!?

#10 User is offline   Silent-7 

• Christian Paintballer
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:29 PM

Alright, I popped the hood again and it says DOHC.
What does that tell us?

Also, I checked the oil. The level is almost exactly at the full line, and the oil itself looks totally fine to me. So I don't know why the oil light is on all the time... :dodgy:

This post has been edited by Silent-7: 08 November 2009 - 11:23 PM

Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users