• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

.50 cal breaks on soft targets Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   scubasteve186 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 March 2010 - 05:53 PM

So the majority of us have seen the videos and read the articles, and im sure theres plenty of charts out there too.
From what ive seen it looks as if as far as accuracy goes .50 isn't much different from .68 but again thats dependent on
much more than the size of the paint. My question is if anyone has tested how .50 breaks on soft targets [human body] .
because it seems to me that G.I milsim has completely avoided that topic

#2 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 21 March 2010 - 06:03 PM

I've played with .50 cal. Seemed to me to break the same. We were using rental guns and playing indoors.... The range of the markers didn't seem to be quite as good as the .68, but then, they may have had them turned down.

This post has been edited by I.K.E.: 21 March 2010 - 06:05 PM

"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#3 User is offline   LoneWolf99 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2010 - 06:13 PM

I'm working on getting my hands on some markers and paint - and going to do some videotapped tests at the field (hopefully within the month). I have serious doubts as to .50 & its ability to break consistently at range, and will try to test with a few different kinds of the paint as well.

#4 User is offline   UWANNAGO 

• Im kind of a big deal, people know me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Brigade Name:UWANNAGO

Posted 21 March 2010 - 08:00 PM

There is a GI Milsim vid of a guy getting shot.

They broke quite large and well actually.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=GmXULPUtEIs

#5 User is offline   poorboypaintballer 

• impoverished paintslinger
  • PipPip

Posted 21 March 2010 - 10:16 PM

haha i thought you were talking about real .50 cal. i was going to say...
Posted Image

MOLON LABE

#6 User is offline   d4rkmonkey 

• that funky monkey...
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2010 - 10:17 PM

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=E87Gw3OKxa4

Theres also this video (start it at around 4:10-4:15 ish if you just want to see someone getting shot with 50 cal).
Posted Image
Flickr
Bitches and guns, this is every man's dream. I don't want to go home, where I'm just an ordinary human being...

#7 User is offline   LoneWolf99 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2010 - 02:44 AM

I wouldn't be so accepting of videos from GI Milsim - PaintHappy's are at least from an unbiased source.

Again, I'm going to see about doing a full comprehensive range of tests - including a few two on two speedball games (.68 vs .50) & get them out in the woods as well. Everything will be filmed & uploaded as available.

I'll talk to my contacts this weekend & see what they can get for us.

#8 User is offline   BLACK MAMBA 

• Living Luxerific
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2010 - 07:26 AM

from bob long himself.
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=YnMUPn0pc0M
Posted Image
MM PB /VALKEN / FLASC / CCC / COMPULSIVE / MSS / TIBERIUS / GUERRILLA

#9 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:33 AM

16 balls broke on the guy. How many shots were actually taken? I couldn't count, but it looks like he fired between 30 and 50 rounds. That's a 32 - 53% break ratio. That's not that good. If he shot just 20 rounds that's an 80% break rate on a soft target.....
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#10 User is offline   stinkfingr 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:49 AM

he made some valid points, but one of his arguments was that a .50 cal paintball did not have as much paint to slosh around inside the shell casing to throw off the accuracy. Maybe i just took it wrong, but was he inferring that the .68 cal paintballs did not get full fills, therefore paint would slosh around in the casing ? If that is his argument, then it isn't a very good one, because if .68 cal paintballs aren't filled completely, then the .50 cals won't be either ... but maybe i just took it the wrong way.

and the guy that was his "crash test dummy" was awesome .... he stole the show ... had me cracking up the whole time ...

#11 User is offline   Ritsuka 

• One of these days I'm going to cut you into little pieces
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:D-Becks

Posted 22 March 2010 - 05:36 PM

The difference in break distance between .50 cal and .68 cal is 30 feet, that may not seem like much, but in American Football that is a first down, and it can make a worlds of difference. There is really no point for .50 cal, if propane starts becoming popular, the whole air efficiency thing goes straight out the window for .50 cal, and at 300 fps, .50 cal acts like .68 cal at 225 feet per second. So why not just turn our velocities down when playing inside or with new players?
"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad like the most of us are, very hard to explain why your mad, even if your not mad."

#12 User is offline   STRYX 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:STRYX

Posted 24 March 2010 - 06:00 AM

I can understand the fustration that the rest of the community PB community if feeling. However my biggest hang up is the price for markers. :) $279.00 for a fifty cal., you gotta be friggin kidding. I specifically buy Tippmann/US Army markers because of low price. If there thinking people in masses are going to come up with $279.00 + tax for a friggin .50 they must be taking some powerfull pain killers. The economy has not rebounded yet and they have the nerve to release a flagship lineup that starts at almost $300. This is the problem some of these companies are running into now, they built overpriced markers and are finding more people gravitating towards more inexpensive markers. (E.G. BT Omega and SA-17) i just wonder whats next?

#13 User is offline   LoneWolf99 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 March 2010 - 01:19 PM

We are already seeing reports from players using .50 on the field that the paint doesn't break very easily on opposing players - this is a major handicap & without even a real cost benefit, I think .50 is going to be DOA (though I still plan on running my tests).

This is a great opportunity to Tippmann to gain market share, if they decide to drop the price of their markers just a bit - that should be another nail in the coffin.

#14 User is offline   d4rkmonkey 

• that funky monkey...
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 March 2010 - 06:34 PM

View PostSTRYX, on Mar 24 2010, 09:00 AM, said:

I can understand the fustration that the rest of the community PB community if feeling. However my biggest hang up is the price for markers. :o $279.00 for a fifty cal., you gotta be friggin kidding. I specifically buy Tippmann/US Army markers because of low price. If there thinking people in masses are going to come up with $279.00 + tax for a friggin .50 they must be taking some powerfull pain killers. The economy has not rebounded yet and they have the nerve to release a flagship lineup that starts at almost $300. This is the problem some of these companies are running into now, they built overpriced markers and are finding more people gravitating towards more inexpensive markers. (E.G. BT Omega and SA-17) i just wonder whats next?

If they fix the problems with the rounds, the paint costs will make up for the cost of the gun anyways. Also... I don't really think that that price is really an issue... considering that there are plenty of people willing to pay ~$1000 for a new gun.
Posted Image
Flickr
Bitches and guns, this is every man's dream. I don't want to go home, where I'm just an ordinary human being...

#15 User is offline   Private Silver 

• Das poomp
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Private Silver

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:16 PM

Yeah, but the said people willing to cash ~1000$ will be keeping with higher end equipment. .50 seems like it should be based to get new people in by making it "cheaper", but even now, as someone above said, the economy is still down. I cant see shelling out 300$ for a new cal size when the one i have works just fine.
Posted Image
SO Feedback +2/ E-bay feedback +14

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users