• You cannot reply to this topic

On gun Air? Why? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Eggmoe 

• They call me "Runs With No Pants"
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Eggmoe

Posted 28 September 2008 - 09:01 PM

I see a lot of daggers use on gun air. I don't understand why. A remote seems better in all ways. Is there any reason why I shouldn't use a remote?

#2 User is offline   Z3R0 

• Spontaneous Hate Machine
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Z3R0 (Sledgehammer)

Posted 28 September 2008 - 09:04 PM

You can't really switch hands when running remote. That's an important skill for any player to have, especially the more up-front guys. Also, remotes require either vests or packs designed with a remote pouch, which are often lower quality packs, meaning lost pods or the pack bounces around or whatever. And an air-on-gun setup is generally lighter overall, just remote setups have the tank on your back where you feel it less and a stock where the tank would be, which is usually a little lighter than a tank. And don't forget that a tank gives you pretty much unlimited mask clearance whereas very few stocks give you any at all...

-Z3R0
Posted Image
Lapco Grey Ghost 2008, Classic Automag, PM8, 06 Cyborg

#3 User is offline   Piller 

• Piller
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Piller

Posted 28 September 2008 - 09:14 PM

For the most part it's all preference. I much prefer to have my air on-gun no matter how I am playing. A nice slim 9oz lasts me all day and is very lightweight. It functions as a shoulder stock and since I don't shoot very much I don't even have to wear a vest/harness. Having air on-gun to me is much easier to deal with. There's no hose to mess with, I can set my marker down whenever I want to, and I get the weight of a tank my back. With a dagger-like playstyle you never know when you may need to set your marker down for a quick sprint.
Automaggot #123 - Pump User #152 - ICE Epic Owner
"Marketing hype in paintball?! The nerve of some people. After all, we paintballers would never throw our hard earned cash into the magic box of marketing hype."

#4 User is offline   ThirdI 

• Elite Weekend 2007 Sportsmanship Winner and 2008 Instructor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ThirdI

Posted 29 September 2008 - 07:37 AM

I won't cover the bonuses to using a remote since you've probably got a good idea of that already. However, there are a couple reasons that I myself only run on-gun:

1) As a forward player, I often find myself in positions where just about the only cover I have is being prone. By putting a large and very solid item on my back, that's one more thing that's likely to get a break when I'm getting shot at. By running on-gun, I can choose where my tank is placed whether it's directly behind my cover or if I use part of my body to keep it from being hit.

2) I find myself in situations often enough where I need to get to a flag or other objective and it is beneficial to lay my marker down and come back for it when I'm either dead or done with my objective. This is more difficult with a remote.

3) Slide checks. I don't know how many times I've seen people fighting with their slide checks instead of playing. By adding a remote, you're adding one more piece of equipment that can and will fail.

In the end, it's all a matter of personal preference and some of the best players I know run remote. I would encourage you to try running on-gun for awhile as well as running remote and decide what works best for you. Or hey, it's a game, so change it up a bit and go back and forth once in awhile.

#5 User is offline   Mitch Force 

• [l__(CRAYOLA)__l]>
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 September 2008 - 02:08 PM

Its also harder to snapshoot with a stock then a tank.

#6 User is offline   Crazy Kitty 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:THE BIRD MAN

Posted 29 September 2008 - 03:39 PM

I like to have air on gun because the remote hose can be a pain in certain situations and it makes my pack weigh a ton.

98% of people on this forum will say that Tippmann pwns all. If you are one of the 2% that disagrees put this in your sig.

#7 User is offline   M.O.P. 

• Group: Penquin Mafia ....... no you can't join.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 October 2008 - 01:49 PM

Have you ever even played with a remote? Or are you just going by what spec ops says? Remote isnt all that great. The only time its even good too use it is during long games. But stil it doesnt reap many rewards
................ Flippy the Wonder Bunny, Ace and MaDuce like ducks with a passion. My color is white. Morrowind addict.

#8 User is offline   NightBlackDelta 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:NightBlackDelta

Posted 03 October 2008 - 09:19 PM

I tried remote. Though I liked having a lighter marker, I realized it messed my play up badly.

You see, I play in a urban setting, CQB is the name of the game. As a result, I never fire constantly on just one shoulder. I swap back and forth, and the remote gets caught on my vest and etc. Also, I guess the hose just impedes my movement.

Is it heavy? Yes. But I stick with it.
Jesus may have walked on water... But I can run! That's just how epic I am.

#9 User is offline   the eggman 

• ninjadodjy is always watching you...
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:bake-bake

Posted 08 October 2008 - 06:16 PM

i just go with a drop forward. it sounds odd but for me all the wieght is more centered and somehow just feels lighter. it is hard to explain. and it also keeps everything more compact so i can move around better

#10 User is offline   Spades 

• forum pizzimp
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:sgt. spades

Posted 12 October 2008 - 02:54 PM

zero to contradict to most of what you said, i use a 32 degrees remote coil, and it long enough to switch hands and not be stretched all the way out
and with the hole lower quality pack issue, specops makes all of their vests (including the dagger vest, which i have) very high quality with a tank pouch

, where you have your air is personal preference
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   EPIC_Fox 

• filth.fm
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:EPIC_Fox

Posted 12 October 2008 - 03:19 PM

I hate remotes. Everything about them. I can't function with a giant hose next to me. Can't switch hands eaisly, can't snap shoot, harder to fill your tank when you go to get it filled too. But then again, thats all me.
Boss Paintball

#12 User is offline   M.O.P. 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 October 2008 - 03:22 PM

its 90 percent personal preferace
................ Flippy the Wonder Bunny, Ace and MaDuce like ducks with a passion. My color is white. Morrowind addict.

#13 User is offline   Florentine 

• Group: Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 October 2008 - 03:37 PM

I dont think it is possible to be versatile with a remote line strapped to your gun. Here is an example, go outside and tie a string to your gun, then strap it to your back and try to be fast, low, able to shoot left or right. I bet it is very hard.
Hey baby, wanna come over to myspace so i can twitter your yahoo till I google all over your facebook?
Feedback

Becc: "I'm not really a vegetarian, I eat some forms of sausage."

#14 User is offline   M.O.P. 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 October 2008 - 04:31 PM

depends on how long it is :laugh:

#15 User is offline   Foil 

• Team T.W.O.
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Foil

Posted 13 October 2008 - 06:17 PM

I concur with the opinions of making it harder to switch hands and snap shoot. Also if your a crawler, as often is the case when your out front the coil has a tendency to get caught on things. I also agree with the idea that it's just one more part to go wrong, that's why I try to keep my marker relatively simple.

The other month when playing a flag grab game I was able to get the flag becuase putting my gun down allowed me far greater movement for getting into position for the final grab.

But again you gotta go with what your comfortable with.
IPB Image

Co founder of Team T.W.O. Battle Creek, Michigan.
Dagger - "In your face, then in your base"

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users