Special Ops Paintball: The MMA Thread - Special Ops Paintball

Jump to content


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

The MMA Thread All fighting, no boundaries.

#1 User is offline   TREE FITTY 

  • Time to get to business...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,241
  • Joined: 05-July 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Harrisburg, Pa.
  • Brigade Name:TIPPMANN6791

Posted 27 August 2010 - 01:50 PM

Discuss anything from boxing to grappling, UFC to Strikeforce, country to country, it doesn't matter.

My eyes are set on UFC 118 tomorrow featuring the rematch between BJ Penn and Frankie Edgar for the lightweight title. Also, boxing meets the UFC now. James Lights Out Toney takes on Randy the Natural Couture.

What do I think? I think BJ is going to come in hard and take it home. The first fight was fair, Frankie took it, however he did not beat BJ down. BJ is going to come back with a better game plan for Frankie's skill set and neutralize Frankie where he can. Frankie does have a chance though, his boxing has hit BJ in the last fight, and the ground game can go either way. I just believe Penn is more likely to take this one.

Toney and Couture... This is hard to call. Obviously if Toney is stuck against the fence or finds himself on the ground, he's done, period. Couture will destroy him in any area that's not boxing. However Couture can be knocked out, and people have done it in the past. If anyone can do it again, it's Toney. The man has more knockouts than Randy has fights. Period. And what if Toney takes Couture down to prove a point? How is Randy on his back nowadays, and would he expect a move like that? This is a fight that i find it impossible to give an edge to. Couture picked up Brock Lesnar and out boxed him, though getting TKO'd. But Lesnar is not Toney. how many punches can Randy take at this age? And can he move fast enough for the double leg, or take it to the fences and keep Toney there? Weigh ins just happened, Couture is at 220lbs and Toney I think is at 237? Randy kept Lesnar against the cage for a bit, I feel if Randy takes it to the fence he can keep Toney there at will and out-pummel him. Can Toney defend the take down? Every highlight clip I see of his training he is working his boxing... I don't know guys.
Verdict? I think I can do numbers... 40% chance for Toney, 60% for Randy. I like Randy Couture for the win here.

Other fights include Nate Diaz at Marcus Davis. I just pray to the Lord that Diaz will be crushed. That kid makes me mad. His attitude. His voice. Hubris. It's annoying, and he needs to be put in place. I like Davis for this not because I hate Diaz, but the boxing is on Marcus' side. As long as he stays off his back and can avoid the triangle, he's set.

Also, Gray Maynard takes on Kenny Florian. I want Maynard to win. He's a great, well rounded fighter. But so is Kenny. I haven't followed Kenny as I followed Maynard, so I can't really call this one fairly. I just think Kenny doesn't have the attitude or drive right now according to the weigh ins. He didn't seem in the game, but we'll see. I know his Muay Thai and the cuts he landed on Clay Guida. Maynard is a dog though, so it'll definitely be a good match.

Thoughts?

did I die for a second there?...
0

#2 User is offline   1-I 

  • Creator of the number 7
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 1,906
  • Joined: 22-September 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Esky, MI
  • Brigade Name:1-I

Posted 28 August 2010 - 09:16 AM

predictions for 118

Edgar
Couture
Davis
Maynard Florian? well thats a toss up, if one fighter would choose to make it a stand up then that fighter would have the better advantage but both guys are ground lovers. May wrestles and wrestle well for MMA and Kenflo can fight from his back and take down as well. Given both fighters ground skills I sersiously think that the fighter that is more commited to stand up and not looking to set up a takedown with every jab will pull it out.


Now to the big buzz question, Is John "Bones" Jones deserving of a title shot? His only loss was an illegal elbow in a fight that surprisingly he dominated (no one should be able to out wrestle Matt Hammil that easily), otherwise its like 5 or 6 wins in the UFC. I think this kid is freakin amazing and agaist Shogun that would be a good quick fight but I dont think the kid has truely earned it yet. Others Ive talked with disagree and yes other challengers have had title shots with less UFC fights (Lesner). Really I think he needs at least one more fight against a higher ranking to prove himself as a fighter and not 'the next big thing' and fade away.
Posted Image

Glory is for the weak.
0

#3 User is offline   TREE FITTY 

  • Time to get to business...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,241
  • Joined: 05-July 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Harrisburg, Pa.
  • Brigade Name:TIPPMANN6791

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:34 AM

I'd give striking to Maynard if he doesn't get cocky and does jab it out. Avoid the combos really, just one-two's and solid hits to keep Kenny guessing. The more Maynard stays inside, the more I give it to Kenny; he's got nasty elbows and he's thrown with some tough fighters.

As for Jon Jones... I agree completely. There are big names in the Light-heavyweight division. A few that he should be facing include Rashad, Quinton (if he decides to stay in the fight) Forrest Griffin, and even Rich Franklin. I think Jones needs two fights ahead of him. Ryan Bader would be an interesting match up to get Jones to the upper tier of the LHW division. After that, I think a match-up with Rashad would be perfect. Both Bader and Rashad have incredible records, with Bader remaining undefeated in the UFC. Bader and Jones are around the same percentage as far as takedowns go, and striking-wise, they land the same amount of blows as well. It would be interesting to say the least.

did I die for a second there?...
0

#4 User is offline   1-I 

  • Creator of the number 7
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 1,906
  • Joined: 22-September 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Esky, MI
  • Brigade Name:1-I

Posted 28 August 2010 - 06:58 PM

true bader Jones would be matchup of the year im my mind,
the jones evans, well I guess they train together so im not so sure.

As for Rampage staying with it, well I just wish that the next time he fights he decides to be more than single dimensial with his A-bombs of bicepts. Rampage with a triangle would be freakin side splitting funny.
Posted Image

Glory is for the weak.
0

#5 User is offline   TREE FITTY 

  • Time to get to business...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,241
  • Joined: 05-July 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Harrisburg, Pa.
  • Brigade Name:TIPPMANN6791

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:28 PM

Haha that it would be. That would probably make submission of the year, maybe decade.

As for the results... of 118...

BJ? You disappoint me. Really. You are my hero. I hope the next run is better than what you did tonight. BJJ blackbelt, a champion, you did sweep well and control decent, but the attack was weak man. You had 'em. Congrats Edgar, you got the belt fair and square, but Maynard is on his way to the title now.

And Randy freakin' Couture, you funny bum. I love this guy. He's my biggest idol and my biggest hero. Toney was made into a fool, good spirited though. The takedown literally made me laugh out loud. What a great fight. Arm triangle? Black belt? What a great day for MMA. More boxers on their way now? Ha, I had MMA pegged as the better sport from the start.

did I die for a second there?...
0

#6 User is offline   cor_man257 

  • Just some random guy.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,589
  • Joined: 13-July 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Upstate New York
  • Brigade Name:cor_man257

Posted 19 December 2010 - 04:52 AM

Who here actually likes to mix it up with some of this stuff? Im not UFC fighter, but I have some basic knowledge in Jiu Jitsu (some courses and basic training, Ft. Drum, and here in Iraq alitte one on one time with an instructer) I hold no belts or sashes but Im okay at it. Its fun. It seems like advanced wrestling. I always wanted to wrestle during school but was never able to. So I wound up mainly wrestling against my brother and one of my neighbors. I usually faired well.

My driver is currently teaching me some Shaolin Kung fu. Hes a Lou chi. (sp?) Instructor. This horse stance is killing me. But luckely im starting to move on to other stuff, including strikes, blocks, and kicks. I never knew how unflexible I was.

When going to college I would like to take some real Jiu Jitsu classes. And maybe get some classes on Akido.
Iraq. Been there. Done that. OIF 2010- OND 2011.
I long for the life of a patio owner. Guitar, a grill, and laying in a hammock with the one you love staring at the skyline and the sunsets.Posted Image
0

#7 User is offline   JerseyPaint 

  • Jersey Fresh.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,243
  • Joined: 31-May 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Brigade Name:JerseyPaint

Posted 19 December 2010 - 03:53 PM



Are you agitating my dots? 10%
RIP HEMP/HEMD/PbF
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users