Special Ops Paintball: Why don't all marker manufactorer put a safety on their markers? - Special Ops Paintball

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why don't all marker manufactorer put a safety on their markers? And what happened to teaching kids basic gun safety?

#16 User is offline   gunhand 

• gunhand
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:gunhand

Posted 30 April 2007 - 09:18 PM

Revolver?

Put the hammer down on an empty cylinder, for older guns. Most newer revolvers have a notch that the hammer fits into between two loaded cylinders.
WVU Tech Mechanical Engineering. Class of (should be 2009, but its not!)

Specops Feedback

FBM KRUSHER E-COCKER FS, NEED MONEY FOR SCHOOL

#17 User is offline   platinum marksman 

• paintballer
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:platinum marksman

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:53 AM

I've noticed that alot as well. Although I've never been shot. I just tell them to keep thier marker pointed at the ground. Something I've noticed about myself...I have trained myself to switch the safety off when I rais my marker to fire then when I drop it whithout thinking I switch it back on. I've also noticed that even in a big fire fight until I raise my gun my finger stays off the trigger. I guess what I'm saying is poeple can be taught this or can learn it themselves with actually very little self dicipline. By the way, I have had i happen when I bring the gun up and pull the trigger and the safety is still on. It never has cost me the elimination, it only takes a second for me to flick the safety and get him. The only thing is its annoying, theres NO reason why they should leave safties off. Well unless their dying for a lawsuit and bad publicity...

Lead, and if necessary, use words.

#18 Guest_Coroner_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 01 May 2007 - 02:15 PM

This conversation reminds me of the scene in Blackhawk Down. When the Ranger Captain asked if the soldiers rifle was on safe. "This is my safety Captain" he states as he holds up his trigger finger. In hunting as well as the Military, I have learned you don't point your gun at something you don't intend to shoot and you never place your finger in the trigger guard until you have identified your target. I shoot a FEP Quest with no safety switch besided the power button. It stays on at all times on the field. It's all about muzzle control. Be aware of where you are pointing the marker.

#19 User is offline   Z3R0 

• Spontaneous Hate Machine
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Z3R0 (Sledgehammer)

Posted 01 May 2007 - 02:21 PM

I keep my marker safetied until I'm about to shoot, or think that there might be opponents in the area... and while it's on, my finger is off the trigger until I'm about to shoot. Maybe I'm just more safety cautious than others. It's a bit ridiculous that any gun/marker would have no safety, though I do count the off/on button on electros as a safety.

-J'92

This post has been edited by Jaeger1992: 01 May 2007 - 02:22 PM

Posted Image
Lapco Grey Ghost 2008, Classic Automag, PM8, 06 Cyborg

#20 User is offline   zWarlord 

• Thought Police
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:zWarlord

Posted 04 May 2007 - 09:22 AM

I have removed the safetys from all my mech markers. With mech markers they are kinda useless, the trigger pull is heavy and is next to impossible to fire without actualy trying to, and if you do accidentaly fire a mech you need to rethink how you are holding your marker. Even if there is one some markers will still fire with the safety on: an aggresively timed cocker will still fire before the trigger reaches the safety, it wont recock, but it will still fire once.
Best safety, keep your fingers off the trigger.
Proud USF Bull

I am but a lifeguard in the human gene pool

#21 User is offline   Steed 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 May 2007 - 09:28 AM

Actually I'm going to retract my previous in one case, my RT Pro requirse that with the safety ingaged you gas up the gun, something with the RT and X-Valve and ULT ussually fires off 1 shot too when you gas it up... But that's it.

#22 User is offline   hunta93 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:hunta93

Posted 04 May 2007 - 08:11 PM

foodawg, on Apr 30 2007, 03:36 PM, said:

The SKS has a safety at the back of the trigger guard that flips down that blocks the trigger from coming back in the pulled position.

The M1 Garand has a safety at the front of the trigger guard. You pull it back and it prevents the gun from firing. You can also run a cable through the hole in the safety if it is in a rack or you can put a lock through it to keep it from being taken off safety.

See link for a good picture of the safety on M1 Garand.

http://www.civilianmarksmanship.com/nomenc...turesafety.html
or
http://www.surplusri.../operations.asp for an installed view.

I couldn't find a good picture of the SKS safety. It's just a little lever the flips up behind the trigger on the right hand side of the carbine.

yes that is how the m1 saftey works its nice but the clips are a FEMALE DOG to change
proud member of TCP deathsquad sponsered in part by PCS paintball
http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index...p;#entry1384382 plz buy!

#23 User is offline   foodawg 

• Some days a cynic, Some days a pessimist!
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Foodawg

Posted 07 May 2007 - 11:27 AM

It really sucks if you screw up and let the bolt catch your thumb! I think I know anybody that's fired one that hasn't done that at least once.

#24 User is offline   Swifty 

• I'm an 11B, so basically I get paid to shoot people.
  • Pip

Posted 19 May 2007 - 01:22 PM

MUZZLE AWARENESS
11B's have to kill at least 5 Chuck Norris clones in order to graduate OSUT.

The OpsGear message boards suck.

#25 User is offline   paintball valley 

• Nazi Mods 4TL
  • PipPip

Posted 19 May 2007 - 04:27 PM

I have to agree. I was raised around firearms, shotguns and rifles mostly. Gun safety and proper cleaning was a must.
I haven't seen anyone post it yet so I'm going to for those that don't know. there are 3 simple rules...

1. ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
This is the primary rule of gun safety. A safe direction means that the gun is pointed so that even if it were to go off it would not cause injury or damage. The key to this rule is to control where the muzzle or front end of the barrel is pointed at all times. Common sense dictates the safest direction, depending on different circumstances.

2. ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
When holding a gun, rest your finger on the trigger guard or along the side of the gun. Until you are actually ready to fire, do not touch the trigger.

3. ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.
Whenever you pick up a gun, immediately engage the safety device if possible, and, if the gun has a magazine, remove it before opening the action and looking into the chamber(s) which should be clear of ammunition. If you do not know how to open the action or inspect the chamber(s), leave the gun alone and get help from someone who does.

NRA Gun Saftey Rules

EDIT: Oh! and if some 10 year old asks me to hold his $1000 marker, and he walks off, he don't have a marker anymore.

This post has been edited by paintball valley: 19 May 2007 - 04:32 PM

If you can't hit him in 3 shots... You are probably in the way of someone who can... MOVE!!!
If Nikola Tesla had invented a paintball marker it would have been an electro-pnuematic.
"Every facet, every department of your mind needs to be programed by you, and unless you accept your rightful responsibility and begin to program your own mind; the world will program it for you." - Evil Nine: "Cake Hole" (possibly sampled from Timothy Leary)

...Fat chicks need love too, but they gotta pay. - Glen Quagmire

#26 Guest_Tessaract_*

Posted 19 May 2007 - 04:56 PM

i vote refs should put trigger locks on all markers when in staging area, not sure how it will work with double triggers but im willing to give it a shot, invent somethin new or see if you can make a standard trigger lock work on a double or even ziptie the trigger.

#27 User is offline   Lights_out1189 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Lights_out1189

Posted 19 May 2007 - 05:36 PM

I suppose condoms and such are because markers stay cocked. Guns, you can uncock them but markers blowback until you take the air off.

Huge problem, i agree. Went to an indoor place (they have a senario type room) and NONE of these kids had basic sense of anything.

I was taught if a gun's cocked, loaded and the safeties off, it doesn't point anywhere except where you want to shoot it at. I know a paintball gun wont kill you if it hits, but come on. I got shot twice by I CAN'T SPELL UNINTELLIGENT DONKEY kids with happy fingers not caring where they pointed the thing before we start a game. We had masks on (place said always have mask on while on the field, even if your not playing.

#28 Guest_Tessaract_*

Posted 19 May 2007 - 05:55 PM

you can uncock a marker. far as i know all you have to do is pull the trigger while holding the hammer back VIA cocking rod. that way the sear releases but the hammer doesnt fly forward, now just gently lower the hammer onto the valve and let it rest there till next game. its still gassed but its decocked

#29 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 20 May 2007 - 01:37 AM

DaggerBurn, on Apr 30 2007, 03:06 PM, said:

the most effective safety on a gun is to decock it

agreed. On all my pumps i just fire an extra round after i get hit and dont re-cock it. And for the blazer, i just hold my thumb behind the ram and pull the trigger, so it cant re-cock after firing. I always like to have an empty chamber when i leave the field. My Carter Buzzard doesn't even have a hold drilled for the safety, it's a pump, don't re-cock it and you can't fire.

People do need to learn to keep their fingers off the triggers if they don't want to shoot, and to engage safeties when they have them. I get aggravated when i am in staging and someone ready to go into the game is running their finger up and down their trigger. Irks the hell out of me. Keep your hand off the trigger unless you are on the field or in chrono area.

"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#30 User is offline   The Stuntman 

• I feel like I'm taking Crazy Pills!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:The Stuntman

Posted 20 May 2007 - 02:00 AM

I have mixed feelings about mechanical safeties on markers. On one hand, it seems like a no brainer - they just ought to have them. Even electros could have something other than the off/on switch. Anyone smart enough to design a marker that can can shoot 20 bps should be able to figure out SOMETHING...
But - I HATE the safety on my old PMI2. I usually shoot lefty, & the safety is right where my finger wraps around the the trigger...so if I dont hold the gun just right, I can put the safety on by accident when what I really want to do is pull the trigger & shoot.

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users