Special Ops Paintball: Optics/Scopes for Paintball-Info - Special Ops Paintball

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Optics/Scopes for Paintball-Info All the info regarding "sighting systems" ever needed!

#16 User is offline   WarCowboy 

• ~Fastest Gun In The East!~
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Suicide Kings

Posted 18 November 2007 - 08:04 AM

Haha, "you just had to" didnt ya! lol
I was going to add this to information to the original post when I made it, but I just didnt think about it anymore.
But yes, Mach1 is right...
Its quite simple to understand really, but you might need to just try it yourself to get it into perspective.
The eyes play an optical illusion on the mind, and by leaving both eyes open, and looking through the optic, the outside eye, "The one not looking through the optic lense" will still see the dot visible on the target, even if the front lense cap is closed or obstructed by an object, like a feed neck for instance, should you have one in the center or the marker.
This is a benifit of having a both eyes open sight of 0 power, vs. a magnified version.
This "both eyes open" deal, takes a bit of practice to get used to for some people.
Its not natural to look though a close, small object, thats smaller than both eyes plain of view, so you'll naturally want to close one to concentrate on the one in relivance to the object.
The best way to describe how to use this tactic, is to imagine the sight isnt there at all, and look though it, and past it with your focus of both eyes on the target.
Act as if you only notice the target, and the red dot will apear on it, and the sight will virtually dissapear in relivance to your view.

This post has been edited by WarCowboy: 21 November 2007 - 08:30 PM

#17 User is offline   SwampThing 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:mach1muscle351

Posted 18 November 2007 - 03:13 PM

View PostWarCowboy, on Nov 18 2007, 08:04 AM, said:

Haha, "you just had to" didnt ya! lol
I was going to add this to information to the original post when I made it, but I just didnt think about it anymore.
But yes, Mach1 is right...
Its quite simple to understand really, but you might need to just try it yourself to get it into perspective.
The eyes play an optical illusion on the mind, and by leaving both eyes open, and looking through the optic, the outside eye, "The one not looking through the optic lense" will still apear to be visible on the target, even if the front lense cap is closed or obstructed by an object, like a feed neck for instance, should you have one in the center or the marker.
This is a benifit of having a both eyes open sight of 0 power, vs. a magnified version.
This "both eyes open" deal, take a bit of practice to get used to for some people. Its not natural to look though an object thats smaller than both eyes plain of view, so you'll naturally want to close one.
The best way to describe how to do this, is to imagine the sight isnt there at all, and look though it, and past it with your focus. Act as if you only notice the red dot, and the sight will virtually dissapear in relivance to your view.

:)

#18 User is offline   WarCowboy 

• PipPipPip

Posted 21 November 2007 - 08:30 PM

Im glad you did bring it up really...
Its something that should be better understood by everyone in question about this subject.
So all jokeing aside, very good question to be addressed!

This post has been edited by WarCowboy: 21 November 2007 - 08:31 PM

#19 User is offline   motherboard1 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 November 2007 - 12:19 AM

I have a question. Lets say you have a 300 - 400 dollar EOtech holographic site, and it takes a shot in the lense from 3 feet away and breaks the glass. How long before the crying stops? :mellow:

Theres actually a serious question in there. You just have to read between the lines.

#20 User is offline   WarCowboy 

• PipPipPip

Posted 22 November 2007 - 11:48 AM

I'll answer that with a question.
"What if", you walked across the road each day to check the mail every weekday, and one day you forgot to look and where hit by a car?
Acciedents happen, but the likely-hood of your EOTech breaking because of a 13.5 jouls of energy imact from a 200 mph paintball, is as slim as getting hit by that car.
These things are rated to take the shock of a .50 cal being fired right below it, so I would think it wouldnt break.
I personally dont care if it could break, as long as it did what I wanted it to before, and it made me happy.
To allot of people, optics are a waste of money in their opinion. But I feel so are $300-$500 laser etching jobs that can be scratch and marred from a hard impact, and cannot possibly serve any purpose in function.
So this is something that needs to be addressed with each individual, and what it means to them.
Most will do what they want to do anyhow, regardless of $$$ spent. Thats all it is with anything anyhow.
The $$$ spent can be easily out weighed by what it means for the individual, and practicality of something that has to be determined with your own interpritation of reason given per topic.
This thread was intended to enlighten those who do want an optic, to better help their setup process and to make it a worth while experence, in regards to understanding its purpose intirely, rather than to argue the fact of durability, and or function all together.
Im not trying to sound prudent about this subject, but simply blunt about the facts at hand.

Also, useing an EOTech could be argued as complete overkill for paintball purposes.
Would I spend 3-4 hundred on an optic for paintball? Absolutely! Why not? If its something I wanted, then whats a few hundred bucks? People spend it on paintball, and I'll bet your Grandmother thinks that nuts aswell.
But it doesnt stop you, does it?

This post has been edited by WarCowboy: 22 November 2007 - 11:09 PM

#21 User is offline   motherboard1 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 November 2007 - 10:38 PM

My post wasnt meant as an attack on users of expensive optics, it seems like thats how you might have taken it.

I have an EOtech 552 A65, I was never in the market for a site, but through some lucky circumstances I wound up with the opportunity to get one for cheap.

Thing is Im terrified of useing it in paintball. There was a little artical on the EOtech website praizing it for its ability to continue to perform after an officer had his broken by a direct paintball hit " Yes broken " during a training exersize.

I cant seem to find the artical nor the image of the broken site on there now, maybe it was removed since a week or two ago when I read it.

The only lense cover I can find for it is the GG&G and it doesnt come with see through lense caps

So Im sitting on it for now, brainstorming on how to make a see through cover to take those direct paintball hits which are guarenteed.

This post has been edited by motherboard1: 22 November 2007 - 10:42 PM

#22 User is offline   WarCowboy 

• PipPipPip

Posted 22 November 2007 - 11:22 PM

I wasnt sure what you ment by your post to tell you the truth.
Im just a blunt person sometimes, and I thought you were being sarcastic.

So sorry if I came off wrong, and sounded rude. I just mis-interpreted the intentions of the question.

But to answer your question on what I would do if I wanted to make a protector cap>
Just take a used goggle lense and cut it to the outside diameter of the screen. Make sure you have enough cut, so it wont fit inside the screen housing, but rather rest against the outside of it.
Get some elastic string, like the kind you can find in the craft/threading section of walmart, and tap a few small holes just large enough to get the string though in the middle/outside edges of the protector piece you make.
Thread the elastic string though both holes on the sides, and tie a double knot in them to make a stationary band.
Lay the protector across the front, and stretch the band over the sight, and to the bottom. This should hold it in place without making anything permanent, and will provide a good protection barrier.
If you dont understand this hoopla I rattled out, I can draw you a diagram of what I have in mind to better clear it up.
I have never done this, as its one of those "off the top of my head solutions", but I know it would work, and it would be easy to make, and easy to maintain while being cheap but effective at the same time.

This post has been edited by WarCowboy: 22 November 2007 - 11:27 PM

#23 User is offline   WarCowboy 

• PipPipPip

Posted 22 November 2007 - 11:59 PM

I was bored. So here ya go.
Posted Image

#24 Guest_bumpnrunone_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 15 December 2007 - 02:34 PM

As far as quality of scopes how is NCstar?

#25 User is offline   WarCowboy 

• PipPipPip

Posted 16 December 2007 - 08:26 AM

Not bad for a cheap alternative.
I would rather go with a BSA 30mm tube sight from walmart however.
Just havent heard anything good about NCstar. Most complain about them being weak in build.
I havent messed with them personally, but Im just relaying info that I have read about them from multiple reviews.

This post has been edited by WarCowboy: 16 December 2007 - 08:27 AM

#26 User is offline   Spike21 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SPIKE21

Posted 16 December 2007 - 11:28 AM

I have a NCStar scope and i love it, it has been shot before and no problems what so ever.

#27 User is offline   WarCowboy 

• PipPipPip

Posted 16 December 2007 - 09:14 PM

Well, there ya have it. Some one that has one on their paintball marker!
I guess most of the reviews I read about it, was on real weapons, so maybe it has a recoil temperment issue.
No problem with this for paintball anyhow.

#28 User is offline   oerllikon 

• All closed bolt.... Awwww yeeaah
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SIA5 Dagger

Posted 23 December 2007 - 04:02 PM

this is a good'n

#29 User is offline   bubba3 

• Im a lil bord... and my dad's a big plank :)
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:bubba3

Posted 27 December 2007 - 10:23 PM

good job, very informative for people who don’t know about sights...I found that the daisy powerline 3-9x32 airgun scope is a good scope with grate price of $20-30, I love when some one picks it up and puts the scope on there eye so the scope is literally touching there face lol
If your parents do not buy you your gear, put this in your sig I work at a hospital cleaning for my PB gear...and save change lol
stuff for sale my myspace feedback+32/-0 my brigade Tippmann Owner #23 ha you no see me!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!

#30 User is offline   WarCowboy 

• PipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:57 AM

Appreciate the compliments.
I feel my post should get rid of the common optic questions over all.
It should also help those that want to try an optic, but are having a difficult time choosing one that suits their needs because of lack of knowledge.
I didnt know squat about optics until the last few years. Figured Id do research on them, and get some info on how they work, and what they work best for. After reading up on just about all of them, I felt I knew enough to put something like this together to spare everone else the time involved. I also have used a wide array of most every type of optic that could be useful on a paintball marker, and rate them by this. Different things might work for other people better than my own experience. But I do know whats practical for this type of use, and whats not.
And about those people touching their face with the scope, I would hate to see them try that with a 300 Ultra Mag rifle. lol

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users