Special Ops Paintball: Military Sniper to Paintball Sniper - Special Ops Paintball

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Military Sniper to Paintball Sniper Military snipers conforming to paintball snipers Rate Topic: -----

#46 User is offline   Explosive 

• Sabre/Sneaking Guy for Xtreme Fanatics
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:-XF-Explosive

Posted 23 July 2008 - 08:08 AM

View PostJellyfish, on Jul 23 2008, 10:11 AM, said:

Ok, I know how this question is going to turn out already, but I'm asking it anyway...

Typical/Average engagement range?

I'm not asking how far can I shoot, i'm not asking about the furthest shot that has been made/seen.

I'm asking, what would most of you consider to be about the typical/average engagement distance?

I'm just asking, at about what distance are your typical engagements.

20-30 yards? 30-40 yards? etc...

Ah, first I want to say it comes down to your comfort and familiarity with your set up (marker). The more you know it, the more confident you are with longer range shots.

I usually shoot between 100-120 ft. Sometimes a 150ft. I look at it like this, I took a lot of effort to get to a certain spot on the field. I want my shot(s) to count.
I like to be certain...a 100 ft in the open is nothing, a 100 feet in the woods is a mile...I've made longer shots - some hits, some bounces, but is a judgement thing
you make in the game.

:ghillie:
"X"

This post has been edited by Explosive: 23 July 2008 - 08:29 AM

#47 User is offline   M.O.P. 

• Group: Penquin Mafia ....... no you can't join.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 July 2008 - 08:09 AM

yea i agree i was just mentioning longballing range there is a person who hit someone 200 yards away (this was 9000 feet above sea level in colorado)
................ Flippy the Wonder Bunny, Ace and MaDuce like ducks with a passion. My color is white. Morrowind addict.

#48 User is offline   -SMITTY- 

• one of the original 27,731 members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:-SMITTY-

Posted 23 July 2008 - 08:37 AM

My best shot was at 150 feet. I was helping my brother with a statistics project he was doing. I got 3/10 hits at 150 feet on a 12"x18" target. Setup(if it matters)-Ion longbow-(18" all american barrel, compressed air, velocity about 285fps, stock internals)

#49 User is offline   Jellyfish 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Jellyfish

Posted 23 July 2008 - 08:57 AM

Ok, I hate to say it, but I was right about how this was going to turn out. Again, I'm not trying to be a prick here or anything I'm just trying to stay on topic. My question was "What is your typical/average engagement range." What ranges do you normally (on average) end up shooting at? The long shots are great, but I wont be attempting anything crazy anytime soon. I'm just trying to get a general idea of what would be considered "typical" range. I know we all like to talk about the "long shot" "the amazing shot" etc, but I'm asking all of you for help here. Just like in the real world, we have the ability to tag someone at 1000 yards, but it is seldom done and seldom attempted. %90 of the time our engagements in Iraq were between 250 and 600 yards. That is kind of what I'm looking for here. A general range where most engagements take place.
"Two inches or two feet...a miss is a miss!"

#50 User is offline   D G 

• Team PAIN
  • PipPip

Posted 23 July 2008 - 09:44 AM

50-80 feet. beyond that, there's too much ball wander and bounce factor. obviously vegetation thickness is a big factor. yes, longer distance shots can be made, but that's what i call "here i am, come get me shots". there's always going to be a debate regarding "sniper" shots. you're talking about practical distances, so you may be better off asking in non-sniper sections. obviously, it's best to just go out there and see for yourself. my numbers are based my my general style of play, which is dynamic. you don't need to be on a team. go to a rec game and experiment, then go to a scenario/big game and experiement. you will learn there much more than you will here. on the field is where you can try different game tactics and styles to see which combination suits you best. it's nice to have a base of knowledge, but it's also good to go without any preconcieved notions. keeps your mind open to possibilities. you've got gear, now get to the field.

#51 User is offline   RogueShooter 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:roguefaktion

Posted 23 July 2008 - 09:54 AM

^^^ DG nailed it man.
"Use humility to make the enemy haughty. Tire them by flight. Cause division among them. When they are unprepared, attack and make your move when they do not expect it." - Sun Tzu, The Art of War
Jay, AKA Rogue... Chairman, Imminent Threat Scenario Paintball Team Proudly Sponsored By Urban Ops Paintball and Cousin's Paintball NJ

#52 User is offline   M.O.P. 

• Group: Penquin Mafia ....... no you can't join.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 July 2008 - 09:54 AM

mine is 20 to 30 yards
................ Flippy the Wonder Bunny, Ace and MaDuce like ducks with a passion. My color is white. Morrowind addict.

#53 User is offline   Explosive 

• Sabre/Sneaking Guy for Xtreme Fanatics
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:-XF-Explosive

Posted 23 July 2008 - 10:44 AM

View PostD G, on Jul 23 2008, 12:44 PM, said:

50-80 feet. beyond that, there's too much ball wander and bounce factor. obviously vegetation thickness is a big factor. yes, longer distance shots can be made, but that's what i call "here i am, come get me shots". there's always going to be a debate regarding "sniper" shots. you're talking about practical distances, so you may be better off asking in non-sniper sections. obviously, it's best to just go out there and see for yourself. my numbers are based my my general style of play, which is dynamic. you don't need to be on a team. go to a rec game and experiment, then go to a scenario/big game and experiement. you will learn there much more than you will here. on the field is where you can try different game tactics and styles to see which combination suits you best. it's nice to have a base of knowledge, but it's also good to go without any preconcieved notions. keeps your mind open to possibilities. you've got gear, now get to the field.

I reread my post and meant it to say "within" a 100ft (120ft max on occasion). 50-80 is ideal. With a good set up, accuracy is general very high with in those ranges.

I love the "here I am, come get me..." line! That is so true! I only take LONG shots if there's a reason for it. Like I want to entice someone in, or keep them back a bit. It works both ways...

This post has been edited by Explosive: 23 July 2008 - 10:54 AM

#54 User is offline   Jellyfish 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Jellyfish

Posted 23 July 2008 - 12:30 PM

Thanks for the straight up, direct feed back guys. I truly appreciate it. I know there are a ton of variables out there and exp is always the best teacher. I'm just trying to get some generalized information and I appreciate everyones patience! I'd love to be out there 3-4 times a week, but with a Wife, kid, and full time job, this doesn't happen. So here I sit, for 8 hours a day, in my car reading forums, dveloping some basic tactics and learning what I can while I work.

Keep the info coming!!!
"Two inches or two feet...a miss is a miss!"

#55 Guest_Woodsball Freak_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 23 July 2008 - 01:29 PM

View PostJellyfish, on Jul 23 2008, 12:30 PM, said:

Thanks for the straight up, direct feed back guys. I truly appreciate it. I know there are a ton of variables out there and exp is always the best teacher. I'm just trying to get some generalized information and I appreciate everyones patience! I'd love to be out there 3-4 times a week, but with a Wife, kid, and full time job, this doesn't happen. So here I sit, for 8 hours a day, in my car reading forums, dveloping some basic tactics and learning what I can while I work.

Keep the info coming!!!

Honestly dude, you know enough about stealth and cocealment that your shots could be in the 20-30 yard range. There's no way 50-80 yards is ideal, a barrel tag is ideal. Barrel tags are quiet (all you have to say is barrel tag), they won't reveal your position.

#56 User is offline   Phobeus 

• You can't kill what you can't see...
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Bushman

Posted 23 July 2008 - 02:22 PM

ahh, barrel tags *takes a moment to relive barrel tagging Mouth at D-Day* such a great way to eliminate the oposition!

#57 User is offline   boo man91 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:boo man91

Posted 23 July 2008 - 02:51 PM

View PostJellyfish, on Jul 20 2008, 07:46 AM, said:

I'm new to the world of paintball, but not Sniping. I served for 8 years in the U.S. Marine Coprs, 7 of which as a sniper, 4 of which as a sniper team leader, to include 3 tours in Iraq. I'm starting this thread to see if there are any other former or active military snipers out there who have tips and advice for conforming to paintball snipers. We wont need to discuss basics of stalking, shooting, etc. This is for experienced snipers looking for applications of known tactics and techniques in regards to paintball. If there are any real (non-military) veteran paintball snipers out there, i'd love to hear some of your more advanced techniques, etc. Again, I didn't start this thread for someone looking to become a sniper. Lets keep this as an advanced thread only.

Also, if there are any military snipers in the Houston area, let me know!

Oh, and for all you guys claiming to be military snipers, I'll know if you're lieing!!

is it true the sniper has a shooter and a spoter.because thats what i do my budys the spoter an im the shooter.

#58 User is offline   Marine Scout Sniper 

• Digitaly Sniping one shot at a time
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:scoutsniper777

Posted 23 July 2008 - 03:22 PM

My best shot. about 10 yards out, one shot, right into his right eye splat right on the goggle. No way he was wiping that one :dodgy:

Most difficult, about 20 yards, free of obstructions. Up on the side of a wash, set up a killbox with my teammate who was pinned down. Longballed it and tagged him on his right shoulder a lil high while he was laying prone shooting at my team mate.

This post has been edited by Marine Scout Sniper: 23 July 2008 - 03:28 PM

Praise and Complaint Dept. (feedback) Digitally Dangerous [Cocker Owner #77] A5 RT Operator

#59 User is offline   Warriortothecore882 

• out of retirement
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Warriortothecore882

Posted 23 July 2008 - 03:57 PM

I'm no sniper, I'm more of what SpecOps calls a Sabre, but my typical engagement range would be probably under 30 yards, and thats on the high end. It's all about the environment, most places I play don't allow for shots any longer than that, too thick. Lots of factors to take into account, as I'm sure you know, so distances will vary not only by player, but by field, weather, etc.

Fortem et Honorem - Strength and Honor

#60 User is offline   Spud01 

• Pump-Ninja
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 July 2008 - 06:13 AM

Set you a pm with someone to contact. Im not sure if he still frequents this forum but he should be willing to share some info with you. The best advice I can give you is to try before you buy and play and learn. Hope to see you on a field someday.

Semper Fi

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users