Special Ops Paintball: Cutting the front grip off a 98 - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cutting the front grip off a 98 how easy is it?

#1 User is offline   ALIHISGREAT 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 April 2009 - 02:45 PM

i'm looking to do a mod involving chopping the front grip off a 98, but i don't have any fancy tools, would a hacksaw job tidied up with files and a dremel be plausible?

#2 User is offline   BYUrdneck 

• Modder
  • PipPip

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:30 AM

Thats what I used and it worked out fine. Just be sure to cut straight - hacksaws can easily go off course. The drum sander on your dremel will become your friend with this project.

#3 Guest_Cesar_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:44 AM

i used a cheap $2 saw and filled it in with JB weld.....came out fine....

free life lesson
: its not so much the quality of the tools, its the skill of the user.

#4 User is offline   ALIHISGREAT 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:16 AM

ok thanks for the help guys, is it essential to fill the cut-off grip in? or will it be all right as it will be covered by a foregrip?

#5 User is offline   shadow_772 

• Never compromise, even in the face of armageddon
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Shadow_772

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:18 AM

It will be fine covered by a forgrip. But to make it a bit more "finished" if you know what I mean, you may want to fill the forgrip.

#6 User is offline   sQoshTrEE 

• 10yr Balluh
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:SQOSHUA

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:50 PM

are you putting a foregrip on it or are you modding something custom to go over the gun?
If you're just putting a grip on you can easily mod several grips to just slide in to the nub thing....

This post has been edited by sQoshTrEE: 27 April 2009 - 06:51 PM

Official Saber #16, Officialy REF #19,
xBoxLive: TheRiTTZer sQoshyRiTTZ sQoshyEpiqphail

#7 User is offline   ALIHISGREAT 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:02 AM

i would be cutting it off completely for a mod.

#8 User is offline   buckshot 00 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:buckshot 00

Posted 02 May 2009 - 07:14 PM

hacksaw and file would work great and then fill it in w/ jb weld putty

#9 User is offline   F-3 

• Alive in the SUPERΠИKИOMИ
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 May 2009 - 07:08 PM

I will never understand why you would pay extra for a 98C and hack the foregrip off, rather than just spend less and get a BT-4 (A 98C with no fixed foregrip).

#10 User is offline   ALIHISGREAT 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:04 AM

View PostF-3, on May 5 2009, 03:08 AM, said:

I will never understand why you would pay extra for a 98C and hack the foregrip off, rather than just spend less and get a BT-4 (A 98C with no fixed foregrip).

maybe its because my mod doesn't require the rail... and the dimensions would be wrong for the BT-4 height wise.

#11 User is offline   commandocraig 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:commandocraig

Posted 05 May 2009 - 10:11 AM

View PostALIHISGREAT, on May 5 2009, 08:04 AM, said:

View PostF-3, on May 5 2009, 03:08 AM, said:

maybe its because my mod doesn't require the rail... and the dimensions would be wrong for the BT-4 height wise.

Or better yet. You probably already have a 98c.
What I don't understand is why cut off a grip just to bolt a grip back on ?. (I have 3 98s so if I want a grip I just change markers. I also hold the foregrip of my flatline shroud (a farther forward grip provides more stability).

Back to the subject. I wish that I had used a hacksaw instead of a dremel for the bulk of the cuting. Hacksaws cut way faster. For finnish, A combination of dremel/files/and sand paper are perfect.
Leaving the hole however, will leave an opening for dirt to enter the marker. This dirt will have to travel around and past the air hoseto reach the trigger assembly. Of course the amount of dirt will be descided by your playing habits and area played in. Also I don' think you will get much more dirt than through the trigger slot itself, but if you dont cover the hole it will; get dirty.
So cover it just to be lazy and have less cleaning/maintnence.

#12 User is offline   Tactical0509 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Lan

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:00 PM

I actually just did this to my 'ole 98c for shiz and giggles. I just took an electric miter saw to it then grinded it down with a grinder lol. I know you said you didn't have many tools or whatever but this worked real well and i just thought I'd share

NOT RECOMMENDING THIS!!!!!!!!!

Granted it was really easy and it looks amazing but this could potentially be VERY dangerous. So do it at your own risk i guess lol. I also put a front grip on it and i'm gonna paint it soon too probably some kind of tiger stripe.

Oh and i would definitely agree that filling the hole would make it a lot easier for you in the long run.

This post has been edited by Tactical0509: 11 May 2009 - 12:04 PM

#13 User is offline   Wrzesinski 

• Gives his $.02
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Wrzesinski

Posted 18 May 2009 - 02:45 AM

if you plan on cleaning the gun you are going to need to open it back up, i would suggest making a wood plug to stick in the void so you can cover it and still be able to clean your gun.
The signature in this location has been removed due to FORUM RULES VIOLATIONS. Please check this link : FORUM SIGNATURE RULES AND REGS and feel free to repost your signature according to the guidelines set by this forum.
Being too awesome :P

Who has the best girlfriend in the whole wide world? ME!

#14 User is offline   josef_k 

• WWII mod-o-holic
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Josef_K

Posted 23 May 2009 - 08:44 PM

View PostF-3, on May 4 2009, 07:08 PM, said:

It's easier to find a used 98C in decent shape at ~$45-55 while a used BT-4 in the same condition would run me about $90 around here.

View PostTactical0509, on May 11 2009, 12:00 PM, said:

I actually just did this to my 'ole 98c for shiz and giggles. I just took an electric miter saw to it then grinded it down with a grinder lol. I know you said you didn't have many tools or whatever but this worked real well and i just thought I'd share

If you use a metal-cutting blade and securely clamp-down the workpiece, there's absolutely nothing wrong with using a mitre saw to cut-off the foregrip. It only becomes potentially dangerous when proper precautions are overlooked.

This post has been edited by josef_k: 23 May 2009 - 08:46 PM

There are 101 types of people: those who understand binary, those who don't, and those who just can't count.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users