Special Ops Paintball: Model 98 Custom Platinum series reveiw - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Model 98 Custom Platinum series reveiw Newest generation Model 98 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Guy In Digi Camo 

• The Forum Authority On Alaska- pm me if you have any ?'s
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Guy In Digi Camo

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:07 PM

OK ive been using tippmanns for about 8 years now, starting with the basic model 98, then a newer gen 98 custom,Now a platinum series.
Heres my take on the Newest gen.
Lets start out with the basics

Price- $119;and up depending on option

Types-
Ultra-basic- non-A.C.T model, black, 119$
Basic model- black or digicamo, has A.C.T, 139$ camo is 169$
Pro model- Black , 11" barrel, double trigger, drop forward,159$

Factory installed upgrades:
W.A.S E-grip-about 70$ extra
Response trigger- about 40$ extra

Newest features:
-Anti Chop Technology
-Piccanty sight rails
-Split receiver design, also you dont need to remove asa screws to take apart shell
-Textured foregrip
-Rear cap has strap hole
-Front sight spring assembly and triggerpins are secured
-Redesigned stock barrel, Matte finish and no middle porting
-Powertube has no screws holding it in and can be removed easily
- response and Cyclone ready

-Flatline, not included, is quick threaded and removed like all the other barrels, has piccanty rails on shroud
My Review
Ok i just recieved this marker;Its the Basic Black with ACT, i got it for100$ on ebay, never used

Looks and feel:
When i held this gun it felt a little lighter than my old one and the matte finish is like a very light bedliner coating. The piccanty rails definetly add some style and aggressive looks to this gun. The feed elbow is the same design as always but the new rails cover up the front push down sight more but its still useable. The backside of the gun has two spots to add a cyclone and response trigger attachment, The grips are a little harder than previous models but will probably wear in nicely, The trigger pull is a little heavier than previous models, again something that gets better as the spring wears in.

Dissasembly and internals:
OMG taking this gun apart was alot faster without the need to deal with the bottom screws,
First thing i took off was the back and front halves ,wow no little sight spring flying out and getting lost
looking at the casting of the gun, it was superb there was some voids in the aluminum but not as bad as previous models
The inside was rough though and i assumed it was over spray from the manufacture so i tore down the gun to polish the inside.
This took about 5 minutes for me
After doing that I polished insides and put it back together, with some aftermarket parts i had from my previous marker Techt fang trigger, W.A.S egrip, star front bolt, pen spring trigger mod, and Cyclone feed.
The total time for all of this took about an hour

NOTE:When using the Egrip you cannot use the new stock spring, it is too hard for the egrip noid to push,you must use the kits included spring

MAJOR INTERNAL CHANGE: OK One thing that will throw off any experienced users is the powertube, The new design has the tube and the hose seprate, When reinstalling you must line up the powertube and insert the hoses special end into the hole, once the marker airs up it will provide a seal ; Its somewhat similar to macroline fittings when they are gassed up, I had trouble leaking when i aired it up but using a crecent wrench i turned the silver fitting to tighten it up in the gun and the problem was solved.

Firing and ACT-
stock barrel is not any quieter and seems to be a little more accurate
The egrip is still turned on the same way, dont worry its not any easier, set to semi i fired a few times.
The kick is a little less than older models, its sounded like it was shooting hot but i did not have a chrono to conferm this.
The ACT works great i even put my finger in there to test it out, i think as long as your not using extremely brittle paint it should work great.

Regulator Note: The new line fittings are inverted flare style so i took the hose to a local shop that specializes in gas hose lines and parts and they gave me a fitting but it is only rated to about 900 psi, you would have to order a higher one online. and if you attach a aftermarket reg make sure to use teflon tape as most of the aftermarket fittings dont have a seal built in

All the aforementioned new features, im more into technical rather than looks but it does look alot more aggresive then previous models
Dislikes:
The hose fittings
The egrip really needs to be easier to turn on, not asking for a slector switch but a finger push-button
Going to be in Alaska check out my up to date post where you can get your questions answeredAlaska

#2 User is offline   shadow_772 

• Never compromise, even in the face of armageddon
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Shadow_772

Posted 21 January 2009 - 11:55 AM

Very nice review. I was expecting more of "Its cool" "My Tippmann PWNS." This is much better ;)

#3 User is offline   Guy In Digi Camo 

• The Forum Authority On Alaska- pm me if you have any ?'s
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Guy In Digi Camo

Posted 22 January 2009 - 05:28 PM

My tippmann does "pwn"

To comment on the powertube some more because it is really the most major part that has changed in design.

-The tube is no longer held in with two screws so it just comes rightout like the rest of the parts there are two areas in the back to attach both a cyclone and a response trigger without needing a t-fitting

-When you take out the power tube there is a large oring on one side that seals the blowback gases in to where they go into the cyclone or response, however the o ring is a bit large in diameter I think and although it has not cauued me any problems with a cyclone i don't know about both the cyclone and response being on there.

-to reinstall the powertube, first insert the gasline into tube then set the powertube in, theres a small tab on the front top part that should line up against the gun. then put the gun back together.

If you haveany further questions just ask me, i will get pics as soon as i can get a working digital camera

This post has been edited by Guy In Digi Camo: 16 February 2009 - 11:37 PM

Going to be in Alaska check out my up to date post where you can get your questions answeredAlaska

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users