• You cannot reply to this topic

Digital Camo Looking for facts not opinions, no offense Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Marine Scout Sniper 

• Digitaly Sniping one shot at a time
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:scoutsniper777

Posted 03 October 2007 - 12:58 PM

Ok I'm looking at a Mask Cover in Special Ops digital pattern.

Here's the deal. It seems to be a touch too dark. I am a big fan of what the snipers in the USMC did with the color choices and arrangement of the pattern in MARPAT.

So here's the question. What are the pros and cons of using the Spec Ops digital camo? What problems do you run into with it as a Sniper/Flanker/Marksman?

Praise and Complaint Dept. (feedback) Digitally Dangerous [Cocker Owner #77] A5 RT Operator

#2 User is offline   06shocker&ion 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:06shocker&ion

Posted 03 October 2007 - 01:05 PM

View PostMarine Scout Sniper, on Oct 3 2007, 11:58 AM, said:

What are the pros and cons of using the Spec Ops digital camo?

can you be more specific? are you talking about the mask cover, well i don't own one but i know and assume the following:

Looks awsome!
Blends in really well!
You can still use your flashy colored speedball mask!
It fits to the majority of masks sold!
May make it more difficult breathing.

#3 User is offline   Marine Scout Sniper 

• Digitaly Sniping one shot at a time
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:scoutsniper777

Posted 03 October 2007 - 01:24 PM

Well I'm looking to get one (mask cover).

But concidering some people (such as yourself) may not own one but own other products with the same pattern there may be some input such said individuals may have over their owned products that may be valid toward the mask cover.

Granted it is subject to theory but still good to know.

Praise and Complaint Dept. (feedback) Digitally Dangerous [Cocker Owner #77] A5 RT Operator

#4 User is offline   AnEchoSoldier 

• Future Property of the USMC
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:AnEchoSoldier

Posted 17 October 2007 - 10:45 AM

Something no one making a camo pattern seems to remember is that black is not a color found in nature (trees and plants). It is created by shadows. Camouflage patterns work better without black because shadows will create the black and look more natural.

And yes, this is from someone who uses MARPAT and loves it.
"I submit to you that if a man has not found something he is willing to die for, than he is not fit to live!"
~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Put This In Your Sig if Your Parents Don't Pay For Your Stuff

#5 User is offline   Sheepdogg 

• Sheepdog
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Sheepdogg

Posted 20 October 2007 - 05:05 PM

To get facts on camo and how to use it, just read the RECON magazine year 2 edition 2. it taught me pretty much all I know about camo. I have a friend who uses digi spec ops, it works ok. for a face mask, before a game, i would just tape leaves and twigs and other foilege all around my mask with some darker colored tape.
Beware of the Sheepdog

#6 User is offline   ckblum 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 26 October 2007 - 04:46 PM

View PostAnEchoSoldier, on Oct 17 2007, 10:45 AM, said:

Something no one making a camo pattern seems to remember is that black is not a color found in nature (trees and plants). It is created by shadows. Camouflage patterns work better without black because shadows will create the black and look more natural.

Thats ironic because the top performing camouflage patterns HAVE black (or some darker substitute) in them.

Flecktarn
CADPAT
MARPAT
Tiger stripe
Multicam (Dark brown, yes it does simulate shadows too)
DPM
Oakleaf (Dark green, Dark brown)
My strength comes from the Lord.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Want wood grips? HERE

Formerly Deputy_Brad

#7 User is offline   C.Hathcock 

• Woodsballer!!
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:C.Hatcock

Posted 01 November 2007 - 05:57 AM

I recently purchased the tippmann/spec. ops. ultralite fusion digi camo shirt, and absolutely love it. It works perfect where I play. My brother in law even commented on how well it worked. He bought one a week later. Just my opinion.
Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state. -Thomas Jefferson

#8 User is offline   esperto96 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:esperto96

Posted 01 November 2007 - 02:18 PM

View Postckblum, on Oct 26 2007, 05:46 PM, said:

View PostAnEchoSoldier, on Oct 17 2007, 10:45 AM, said:

Thats ironic because the top performing camouflage patterns HAVE black (or some darker substitute) in them.

Flecktarn
CADPAT
MARPAT
Tiger stripe
Multicam (Dark brown, yes it does simulate shadows too)
DPM
Oakleaf (Dark green, Dark brown)

ckblum is on track in that some of the best patterns do have black. Using naturally induced shadows creates one very big problem, it is human shaped! Even if the colors are a perfect blend with the background, if the highlighting and shading make it look shaped like a human or man made object it will still stick out... hence the use of ghillie suits, break up the shape.

Now black doesn't break up the shape nearly as well as a true ghillie material but can fool the viewer into thinking it sees shadows when it really doesn't. The mind trick of black=shadow helps someone overlook the human shape.

Don't rule out patterns with black. They do work and very well in some environments. No pattern is perfect for all environments. Pale desert environments probably benefit the least by having black in the pattern, hence no black in desert marpat and ACU patterns. Leafy and vegetated environments do very well with black in the pattern.

#9 User is offline   DarkGhost26 

• Ghost
  • Pip

Posted 15 November 2007 - 09:07 AM

the reason ppl use black in some camos and not in others is because, yes it is used to create shadows. if ur wearing BDU having black in there helps since BDU is a flat shirt not making any shadows. if ur making ghillie having black doesn't do much for u since stuff is hanging off making shadows on its own.

ghillie suits are used to break up the human silhouettes from a distance. and up close ur supposed to look like a bush or a pile of gras. do bushes have black leaves? are blades of grass black?

BDU is much like stripes on a zebra. if there's a group of zebras its hard to pick one out of the group. the group just looks like a blur of black and white. since there isn't a bunch of ppl standing next to each other wearing the same BDU, u have to make it match ur surrounding. typically ur surroundings have shadows so how do we make shadows on a shirt?

All-n-All the digi mask looks awesome but does it help u in the environment u play in? it could be too dark. Sheepdogg has the best idea of all. just learn about how camo is used then decide based on what u learn. i would say it's not bad camo to use in a heavy shaded area.

#10 User is offline   snipin'since88 

• TEUFELHUNDEN
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:snipinsince88

Posted 29 November 2007 - 11:22 PM

if you want a good way to camo your mask, just go buy some facepaint and put it on there. you can change it for anywhere you play. its what i do. so far i have had it in the deserts of az, pine forests, and so cal.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users