• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Newbie to Pumps Looking to get back into the sport Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Cloud254 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 August 2010 - 07:12 AM

I've been playing paintball for the past seven years, but recently, i haven't played in nearly two years, mostly because it's so darn expensive! Anyhow, i thought pumps would be a great way to get back into the sport, and save some cash at the same time.

So, my questions would be: Should i go for a stock class, or an open class marker?
What brand of marker should i get? A phantom of some sort, or some other brand?
How would i maintain said marker?

If i think of anymore, I'll add them later..

So, yeah, thanks guys!

#2 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 29 August 2010 - 09:17 AM

All depends on you, really.

Generally people will run phantoms for stock class, as they are more efficient then a auto cocker, and weigh less. Thus use that to a advantage,

People using a open class set-up generally will run snipers ( pumped autocockers) as the pump stroke is much smoother, which allows for a little extra speed, Athough the marker is a little less efficient, a 13cu or even a 48/4500 (50/4500) stubbie tank makes that negligible.

Dont get me wrong though, you can run a smooth open class phantom or a stock class Sniper. its just against the norm,

Open class will be easyer to get into, stock class will be more of a slap in the face for forced learning lol.
If you can, I'd suggest a stock class marker that you can quickly convert to a open class, or a modified stock class, so you can do both!

Autocockers,
Phantoms
PGP's
Brass Eagle Nightmares
Gargoyles
Palmers
Carter's
Azodin's
Falcons
T2's
S6.5's
Sterlings
Sl-68 (1 & 2)

all those pumps are different choices, each unique and with a different price tag, best thing to do is look around. there are more, but im no pump guru.

what are you looking to spend on the marker? or the pump set-up?
under 300$ will usually have you looking at used phantoms, sterlings, awesome snipers, or new snipers and azodins, sl-68's, PGP's ect

Under 500$ can be Very nice phantom set-ups, Very nice Autococker set-ups, nice sterlings, possibly a used Gargoyle. Super stockers ( palmers) A mint Brass Eagle nightmare with a full ten round tube set-up and a tank.

Under 800$ will net you sextastic markers. im not even going to name them becuase I dont know about this area, or the others to be honest.

This post has been edited by Eskimo: 29 August 2010 - 09:24 AM

#3 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 29 August 2010 - 11:43 AM

No matter how you slice it pump play is going to have a learning curve. You have to switch your mentality from, "I have 15bps at my disposal and carry lots of paint walking in my shots is fine" to "I've only got 4 bps, if I'm lucky, and carry 100 rounds. I have to lead my targets slightly. How can I be sneakier?"

As for what pump to get... Do you prefer the feel of a lighter or heavier marker?

If you like light, Phantom is the way to go. You can also buy multiple bodies, left feed, center feed, right feed. It a 5 minute job to switch bodies(stock/open class) between games if you want/need to. with a couple of other parts you can get both vertical and rear air mounts for 12g or tank. Some people find them very light and like adding a stock to help them shoulder and aim better.

Sterling's are nice and can be switched up like a phantom but doesn't have extra bodies. It's center feed only. It's also about 2x heavier than the Phantom. Ok... that might be a slight exaggeration, but it is noticeably heavier. I definately prefer my Phantom.

As for the Others... as I recall the SL-68 II is on the heavier side. The originals shot fairly well but they aren't really suited for stock class play.

BE Nightmares... If you can find one get it. It might need some work because they are older markers and usually neglected. It's a beautiful brass marker, makes it heavy but it's feel really nice in the hands.

I don't recall shooting any of the others though.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#4 User is offline   Cloud254 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 30 August 2010 - 05:06 AM

@Eskimo--I have never heard of half of the markers you mentioned haha, but thanks for the suggestions man :D

@Puzuma--So phantoms have the ability to become either a stock class, or an open class? I suppose screws or something hold the body in place semi-permanantly? Tell me more! I'm starting to like phantoms a lot.

Thanks for the info guys! I think that i would get a phantom if anything, mainly because they can switch between classes. That would help me with the learning curve, i would think, as i could switch between the two without needing to buy another gun. That way, i can start with an open class, and ease my way into stock class.

#5 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 August 2010 - 06:59 AM

View PostCloud254, on 30 August 2010 - 07:06 AM, said:

@Puzuma--So phantoms have the ability to become either a stock class, or an open class? I suppose screws or something hold the body in place semi-permanantly? Tell me more! I'm starting to like phantoms a lot.

Correct.

You can buy a phantom with either an open class or stock class body. From there, you can buy the other body (open class or stock class), swap all your internals/grip frame/barrel/etc onto the new body, and be good to go.

It's held permanently because it's one piece of aluminum (okay, the open class one is. The stock class one isn't, but it's held very well together and you don't need to tear it open to swap between open or stock)
Member of Team Akkadian

#6 User is offline   Puzuma 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:22 AM

Here's my phantom stuff

Posted Image

Starting at the top....
Stock class body with 15 round feeder, 50 round pocket hopper
Bucket changer, vertical air adapter
Phantom with right feed body( the 2 silver discs are the thumb screws, remove to change the body)
feed elbow
3oz CO2 tank
Velocity tool and 3/8" Allen key (the key is needed for the bucket changer. It's 2 parts the bucket and a puncture adapter. You need the key to remove the adapter from the ASA if you want to put a tank on).

Posted Image
Open class

Posted Image
Stock class

Total change time, less than 5 minutes
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#7 User is offline   Supergyro 

• Ain't He Great, Folks?
  • PipPip

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:26 AM

There's all sorts of routes you can go with a Phantom. Here's mine, sidearm style.Phantom sidearm

This post has been edited by Supergyro: 30 August 2010 - 07:33 AM

Posted Image
"Of course you know, this means war."-Bugs Bunny
"My friend got killed by a throwing star but I live because of DEagle."-Thalion

"The visible spectrum is...RAINBOWS"-Pirate

#8 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:31 AM

Personaly my Phaantom never changes out of the open class configuration since I also own a seperate stock class only gun. There simply is no need for me to change the Phantom...although I do have all the parts to do so.

Another very nice thing about the Phantom is the ability to build off of the platform later.
The only reason to buy everything at once would be to have all the same colored parts like Puz has.
But if you were to buy a basic color like black or silver to start with then the ability to make color matching additions later on down the road is so easy!
I will use Supergyro as an example. His micro Phantom can be turned into an open class hopper fed Phantom for about $30. Simply buy a new breech and put it on.
Also a longer barrel and bottom line air adapter could be added later for a whole new feel tot he gun...or maybe a stock...drop forward...

The point is that the Phantom is a platform designed gun. Everything is user servicable and can easily be changed to fit the users personal taste in pump play. There is no right answer for everyone....so the Phantom is designed to be adapted to everyone.

#9 User is offline   Cloud254 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 31 August 2010 - 12:29 PM

View PostThalion, on 30 August 2010 - 07:59 AM, said:

View PostCloud254, on 30 August 2010 - 07:06 AM, said:

Correct.

You can buy a phantom with either an open class or stock class body. From there, you can buy the other body (open class or stock class), swap all your internals/grip frame/barrel/etc onto the new body, and be good to go.

It's held permanently because it's one piece of aluminum (okay, the open class one is. The stock class one isn't, but it's held very well together and you don't need to tear it open to swap between open or stock)

OOOO!!! Okay!! HAHA, i thought you just switched the feed, or whatever. I read, and re-read this at least three times before figuring out what you were saying lol. Okay, this makes WAY more sense than what i had in my mind XD

#10 User is offline   Cloud254 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 06 September 2010 - 08:22 AM

Okay, so I've decided on a phantom. Now then, are there any other things i would need to complete a pump set-up? 12 grams, and 10 rounds tubes of course, but beyond those, anything else?

#11 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 September 2010 - 08:36 AM

If custom annoed some will say buy both stock class and open class bodies at the same time to color match.

#12 User is offline   Puzuma 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:00 AM

Ball hauling gear...

It's all preference but PB MAfia is good. Ronin Gear made (makes? Not sure as their website links to something else) some good stuff. Special Ops has some stuff as well.

The most common is a suspender style harness.
Posted Image

Also the waist pack. I have the PB Mafia Joyride.
Posted Image

PB Mafia also has a leg harness:
Posted Image

Special Ops has the arm guard
Posted Image

as well as the Forge Vest system. Buy the stock class back and a front separately. It's a customized vest with out the customized price.
Posted Image

There is also a wrist holder too.
PB Mafia makes one for paint
Posted Image

Others make one more for 12g
Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 User is offline   Cloud254 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 06 September 2010 - 01:37 PM

I'm diggin' the joyride pack, and the spec ops arm guard :D
What should i do with empty 10 round tubes? Should i just stick them back into the holder, or does someone make like a pouch or something?

Thanks for the replies guys! Maybe one day I'll be able to wear the SOPC shirt/jersey :D

#14 User is offline   Puzuma 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 September 2010 - 01:46 PM

If you go with the vest you can get a dump pouch on the front. I just put my used 12g in my pockets.
Posted Image

#15 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 06 September 2010 - 01:46 PM

I have the PB Mafia wrist holder (capless) and I found that until you wear it in with the backs of the tubes (etc) it can be a huge PITA to get the tubes in when reloading (as the capless parts are very rigid fabric). I ordered a capless MOLLE piece for my vest from SpecOps and the capless pieces were purely elastic - much easier to put around tubes.

As for empties, try the Spec Ops Drop Leg Pouch - holds them in while you run, but takes no fiddling to put tubes/12 grams in.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users