Special Ops Paintball: Flatline & APEX - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Flatline & APEX Your opinions please... Rate Topic: -----

Poll: Flatline Barrels (74 member(s) have cast votes)

love them or hate them

1. Love (27 votes [36.49%])

Percentage of vote: 36.49%

2. Hate (20 votes [27.03%])

Percentage of vote: 27.03%

3. Don't Know (14 votes [18.92%])

Percentage of vote: 18.92%

4. Don't Care (13 votes [17.57%])

Percentage of vote: 17.57%

APEX

1. Love (36 votes [48.65%])

Percentage of vote: 48.65%

2. Hate (11 votes [14.86%])

Percentage of vote: 14.86%

3. Don't Know (18 votes [24.32%])

Percentage of vote: 24.32%

4. Don't Care (9 votes [12.16%])

Percentage of vote: 12.16%

Good for Snipers?

1. Yes (26 votes [35.14%])

Percentage of vote: 35.14%

2. No (28 votes [37.84%])

Percentage of vote: 37.84%

3. Don't Know (9 votes [12.16%])

Percentage of vote: 12.16%

4. Don't Care (11 votes [14.86%])

Percentage of vote: 14.86%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   scilencer 

• The Silencer
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:THE WALK-ON

Post icon  Posted 10 August 2008 - 09:05 PM

OK touchy subject... but i have to know what you guys think about Flatlines and APEXs. And this might have already come up but i have to know. Good for snipers or not? please explain your answers!!!! :(
The best way to conserve ammo........is to hit what you're shooting at! 2GF

#2 User is offline   CON*RAD 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:CON*RAD

Posted 10 August 2008 - 09:11 PM

i love the apex, I would take one of those over a flatline anyday. And yes if you are going to be a sniper I think the apex is for you. Im not a fan of the flatline because mine always chopped paint, was not accurate, and harder to clean (I sold that fast). I have not used an apex but They look like they work really well. And their made by BT :(
AGD- "because quality always shoots straight"

pump player

SOUP

#3 User is offline   EthanB08 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:ETHANB

Posted 10 August 2008 - 10:22 PM

My friend has an Apex, man is it a blast to shoot. But ive never shot a flatline so I have no opinion. As for snipers, in my opinion PB snipers are just as close range as any other player, they just use less ammo, and are more sneaky, and watch the enemy for a bit get some info for the team. I only think of the Flatline and Apex as trajectory correctors. I think the flatline (judgeing by its name "flatline") that it was made in order to make the ball fly in a flater trajectory, and distance just so happened to be an added accidental bonus to it. Plus i hear the balls dont break often at a father range, so the distance added is usless mostly, you just dont have to aim up for effective range shots like with a normal barrel. I think the apex was made after the flatline so I think they made theres with the idea of range and trick shots. To sum up my thoughts they mean nothing to me when it comes to there range, just their flatter trajectory.
Spetsnaz, When the only way to kill a terrorist is by a backflipping hatchet attack.

#4 User is offline   Explosive 

• Sabre/Sneaking Guy for Xtreme Fanatics
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:-XF-Explosive

Posted 11 August 2008 - 06:18 AM

View PostCON*RAD, on Aug 11 2008, 12:11 AM, said:

i love the apex, I would take one of those over a flatline anyday. And yes if you are going to be a sniper I think the apex is for you. Im not a fan of the flatline because mine always chopped paint, was not accurate, and harder to clean (I sold that fast). I have not used an apex but They look like they work really well. And their made by BT :(

what he said :dodgy:

as for Sniping, APEX is not my thing.
Apex has a "pop" sound it makes when shooting it.
I will say this, they seem to shoot a further, flatter distance than a regular barrel,
but then you get into the whole thing about if the paint breaks or not on your target.

I enjoy using my Apex on scrimmage style play. When you have a group of opponent pushing forward on you
and you want to keep them back a ways. Also, my APEX is on a SM1 Orbium barrel set up, which is nice.
I can set the APEX to a neutral position and use a regular 2 piece barrel kit. It's just that pop sound is still there.
That's another good thing about the Apex over a flatline. The fact it can be set a neutral position and you have a
regular barrel set up again.

This post has been edited by Explosive: 11 August 2008 - 06:20 AM

#5 User is offline   Van 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Javus

Posted 11 August 2008 - 08:46 AM

I used a Flatline first, and loved the way the paint flew. It was not accurate at all in long range, but medium range its like a slow laser. The backspin it creates actually slows it down, but ironically it flies further than a normal barrel. I recently upgraded to the Apex barrels and the difference is incredible. It flies a lot longer and while a little more accurate than the Flatline, dont expect to pick people off at long range.
I use the Apex in suppresion roles mainly. Instead of a stream of paint coming out of the gun, its a cloud of bad luck coming at the opponents. If it doesnt break on them it will probably hit their mask, or marker or whatever. And shooting in volume is when the Apex shines! The hookshots are probably the most fun and you can just walk up your shots as needed. Single shots are good at close to medium range, but the sound will give you away quickly.

This post has been edited by Van: 11 August 2008 - 08:47 AM

Same thing we do every night Pinky...

#6 User is offline   OP4delta 

• Squad Commando
  • PipPip

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:30 AM

have played with both. i have an apex.

i like the flatline. it does work to increase range and flatten the trajectory very well. some inaccuracy as for 1 shot kills, but it is great in the way that for the most part you can hit what you put your sights on due to the fact that you dont have to arc your shots as much.

the apex increases the range more, like alot more. incredably. i like how it is adjustable.

the problem i have with the apex is that because it uses a "ramp" to put the spin on the ball, it tends to also deflect the ball. for example, going for a long, flat trajectory shot, the ramp is at the top of the barrel. it is lowered into the barrel so that the top of the ball hits it and is slowed down to give the ball backspin. however, when the ball hits the ramp, it is deflected away from the ramp (in this case, down). if you are shooting from the prone or kneeling position (which i do alot...) the ball will deflect down and hit the ground. if you are standing or if you elevate your shot, the ball will deflect down and then level out and fly forever. it is not useful for snipers becasue any range advantage is affected by this problem. it is good for really long range supression, way out of range of other markers, but that isnt my style of play.

the good thing about the ball deflection is for drop shots. when the ramp is at the bottom, the ball is deflected up, then the spin drops it. you can arc the ball up and send it crashing down on opfor. if there is an opposing player in the prone position behind a low obstacle, i can rain paint DOWN upon them indirectly (artillery style) as opposed to shooting alot of paint right at them and hoping that they will stick their heads up into it. this option is cool.

i am not one for hook shots, they take too much time to walk in and i dont find them practical on the field.

the best thing about the apex is that you can turn it off. i have it for when i want to do really long range supression or indirect drop shots, but for cqb and normal play i can turn it off and have normal accuracy.

#7 User is offline   Minnesota Sn1p3r 

• Back on the Attack!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MN Sn1p3r

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:23 AM

I use a Flatline barrel and love it, I have also used the APEX barrel but I hated it, I would chop almost every shot, so i thought that my gun was set to high, then my friend put it on his gun.....and it chopped more!!! I love the Flatline and occasionaly ill have a break, but one thing is for sure, APEX and Flatlines are not made for sniping! They are both way too inconsistant to be used for that, Those barrels are used to get a lot of range, not accuracy...MNPSC :P
"Its better to out-think your enemy than to out-fight them" - Sun Tzu

"I dont like paying for the same realestate twice" - General George S. Patton

#8 User is offline   Dunceb4ll 

• Let's go play with Dynamite!!!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Dunceball

Posted 30 November 2008 - 12:29 PM

How many times has this come up? Oh well.
Apex is awesome, it is the best thing since sliced bread. I believe it can be used for sniping because I can shoot fairly tight groupings at about 30 yards without a problem using it on the fourth level (level 6 and up get kinda crazy). No it isn't half as accurate as a barrel kit ,but as long as I can shoot in a grouping the size of a paintball mask I am good.

Oh and Minnesota Sn1p3r something must have been wrong with your Apex. I have never had a ball break because of the barrel. Flatline is much harder on paint than an Apex.
THE END IS COMING!!!! AND IT WILL BE UNTIL IT GETS HERE!!!!!!
CAUTION IN THE INTEREST OF SAFETY IT IS ADVISABLE TO KEEP DUNCEB4LL AWAY FROM FIRE AND FLAMES.
Feedback

#9 User is offline   jim762 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:jim762

Posted 07 January 2009 - 10:09 PM

I love my APEX...never chopped a ball. I think once you get used to it, you can put a ball any where you want it.

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't!
Sponsored by: Urban Ops Armory

#10 User is offline   The Elder 

• Sharpshooter
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Phantom-Sniper

Posted 06 March 2009 - 03:34 PM

It will mess up your consistency. You must find out what works best for you. Different set-ups for different people is what I believe. A standard marker wont work the same for everyone.

#11 User is offline   Sneaky Big Foot 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 20 March 2009 - 04:14 AM

The apex is nice because you cane do a lot more with it than a flatline. I was watching a video on google and the apex shot farther than the flatline but sometimes at that range it does no brake.

This post has been edited by Sneaky Big Foot: 20 March 2009 - 04:15 AM

hybrid player speedball+woodsball its sweet
Cna you raed tihs? piatnblal, sarmt prats, tpipmnan, sohoter ION owner #65

#12 User is offline   FAST-FINGER 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:FAST-FINGER

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:33 PM

apex barrels are too complicated. i been using a flatline barrel for a long time. apex barrels can be a sniper disadvantage because it takes to long to redirect were you want the paintball to go like over a hill,drop down and turn.
i have never had a ball break in the flatline. some times its the paint you using. i use stealth paintballs and they are the right size for the flatline. too big paintball breaks' too small paintball will turn or drop.

This post has been edited by FAST-FINGER: 23 March 2009 - 08:41 PM

robert aldrich

#13 User is offline   TyTy 

• Formerly known as Ty29...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Cpt.Ringo

Posted 06 April 2009 - 11:55 AM

View PostFAST-FINGER, on Mar 23 2009, 11:33 PM, said:

apex barrels are too complicated. i been using a flatline barrel for a long time. apex barrels can be a sniper disadvantage because it takes to long to redirect were you want the paintball to go like over a hill,drop down and turn.
i have never had a ball break in the flatline. some times its the paint you using. i use stealth paintballs and they are the right size for the flatline. too big paintball breaks' too small paintball will turn or drop.

The Apex is rediculously simple. Flatline has one setting, and that setting is for achieving maximum distance. With the Apex you can adjust how far the paintball needs to go, allowing for a tighter shot pattern/greater accuracy. It's easy to clean and maintain, unlike the flatline. The Apex can be set at 3 or 4 clicks to create, in my opinion, the perfect trajectory because the ball travels straight for quite a distance, and that's that. The flatline starts off low (like the Apex at its max setting) and then "flatlines." The Apex can do EVERY SINGLE THING the flatline can and quite a bit more.
-Ty

#14 User is offline   Minnesota Sn1p3r 

• Back on the Attack!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MN Sn1p3r

Posted 21 September 2009 - 11:45 AM

View PostMinnesota Sn1p3r, on Nov 13 2008, 09:23 AM, said:

I use a Flatline barrel and love it, I have also used the APEX barrel but I hated it, I would chop almost every shot, so i thought that my gun was set to high, then my friend put it on his gun.....and it chopped more!!! I love the Flatline and occasionaly ill have a break, but one thing is for sure, APEX and Flatlines are not made for sniping! They are both way too inconsistant to be used for that, Those barrels are used to get a lot of range, not accuracy...MNPSC :D

Really?! I dont know what I was thinking!! :wacko: The APEX is SOOOO much better than the flatline! I was Sir Noobalot when I wrote that! B)

APEX IS BETTER!!!
"Its better to out-think your enemy than to out-fight them" - Sun Tzu

"I dont like paying for the same realestate twice" - General George S. Patton

#15 User is offline   D.B.D 

• Snipar4
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Snipar4

Posted 22 March 2010 - 11:48 AM

I have the apex and love it. I have shot a flatline but didn't like it as much, with the apex you can change your angle of your shots. I don't think it will work well for snipers, I have tried, but, it takes multiple shots just to get one to hit the target.
Aim for anything that is visible, most of my shots are either leg, elbow or head... that is if you see me first.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users