The Ultimate Guitar/bass Topic

#421 User is offline   Ace-014 

• Back From Life (FCSN)
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Ace-014

Posted 28 December 2008 - 05:43 PM

View PostStealingYerMail, on Dec 28 2008, 07:47 PM, said:

The difference between cheap guitars and good guitars is vast; you'll be a lot happier.

I certainly hope so, lol.
Official SpecOps FC

#422 User is offline   Superman_CHRGR 

• formerly bluedevil_07
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:bluedevil_07

Posted 28 December 2008 - 05:49 PM

Lol, the reason I got the ibanez is because there were only 500 producedl and they were originally made as a custom for one of the Dragonfoce guitarists.
you want to see me disappear? well so do i. so do i.

#423 User is offline   StealingYerMail 

• always throwin bass
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:StealingYerMail

Posted 28 December 2008 - 07:19 PM

That's pretty cool. Dragonforce is a pretty lame band but a rare guitar is always a cool guitar, how does it sound?

This post has been edited by StealingYerMail: 28 December 2008 - 07:19 PM

Maggot #53
MacDev 06 Cyborg, AGD Tac-One
Death before Smart Parts Feedback

#424 User is offline   Ace-014 

• Back From Life (FCSN)
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 December 2008 - 07:45 PM

Hey guys, I've got a pretty noob question real quick. I haven't exactly run into this problem before so I'm kinda lost. How exactly do you raise/lower the action on your guitar? My EC-100 came with a pretty low action, too low. I've finally grown sick of the fret buzz I get. Can someone please PM me with some help?

Anyways, continuing with the thread...
Official SpecOps FC

#425 User is offline   Superman_CHRGR 

• formerly bluedevil_07
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:bluedevil_07

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:28 PM

View PostStealingYerMail, on Dec 28 2008, 07:19 PM, said:

That's pretty cool. Dragonforce is a pretty lame band but a rare guitar is always a cool guitar, how does it sound?

I haven't gotten it in yet. I'm trading my Cort and a couple pedals for it.
you want to see me disappear? well so do i. so do i.

#426 User is offline   HoboHunter 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:HoboHunter23

Posted 29 December 2008 - 02:22 AM

Heres my gear-

-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Caraya electric guitar (yeah, dont feel bad if you don't know this company lol)
-50 watt Belcat amp (i dont like it much, not very many settings for messin with it)

#427 User is offline   LoD 

• Lord of Death
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:LoD

Posted 29 December 2008 - 01:16 PM

Guys, I will probably be buying a guitar with my tax return coming up.. I'd like some assistance.. should I post here or does someone wanna PM me? I'm thinking acoustic, as I have heard they are better to learn on (I'm not brand new to guitar, I used to play a little, but I want to get serious and actually take lessons and learn music rather than just use tabs) so I am going to act as though I am starting fresh for the first time. Should I make a new thread or what? I know there have been a ton of guitar threads made, but most of them were for electrics.

Thanks,
Dave

My Feedback Thread
"I look at it as an opportunity to bloody up the hammer some more. Especially now since I replaced the leather wrap and it needs to be worked in." - Puzuma

#428 User is offline   Iron Maiden 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Iron Maiden

Posted 29 December 2008 - 01:47 PM

It's Dean Michael Schenker standard
I think my next guitar is going to be a Fender standard stratocaster rerouted to be HSH

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Iron Maiden: 29 December 2008 - 01:54 PM

I'm back, and this time for good.

#429 User is offline   C0N0R 

• whose the guy who horked our clothes eh?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mad Sabre

Posted 29 December 2008 - 02:03 PM

View PostLoD, on Dec 29 2008, 01:16 PM, said:

Guys, I will probably be buying a guitar with my tax return coming up.. I'd like some assistance.. should I post here or does someone wanna PM me? I'm thinking acoustic, as I have heard they are better to learn on (I'm not brand new to guitar, I used to play a little, but I want to get serious and actually take lessons and learn music rather than just use tabs) so I am going to act as though I am starting fresh for the first time. Should I make a new thread or what? I know there have been a ton of guitar threads made, but most of them were for electrics.

Thanks,
Dave

accoustics (unless thats all you ever want to play is country/accoustic/etc) is NOT the best to learn on, you can learn more technique on electric, and will probably enjoy playing it more too.

accoustic is a harder route, i took it, i sorta regret it.
SO's own Guitar player/luthier (builder), ask me any questions about guitars or guitar building.
brownie points-15
Gear- Jackson DX10D with OFR, Tremol-no, and concentric pots. Schecter omen 6 with... wait.. wrong forum..
Hope you plan on keeping it, resale on big pickups is dropping faster than your mom's skirt-aqua__scummm

#430 User is offline   LoD 

• Lord of Death
  • PipPip

Posted 29 December 2008 - 03:11 PM

I heard acoustic is best to learn on because it requires more pressure on your fingers and gets your fret fingers stronger. Then you go to electric and its easy-peasy. Plus, you don't need to hook up and plug in to use... I am not a country fan by any means, but I do very much enjoy acoustic songs such as The Acoustic Song by Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, or Swing Life Away by Rise Against... stuff like that... I dunno.. now I'm really torn :(

My Feedback Thread
"I look at it as an opportunity to bloody up the hammer some more. Especially now since I replaced the leather wrap and it needs to be worked in." - Puzuma

#431 User is offline   Ace-014 

• Back From Life (FCSN)
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 December 2008 - 03:12 PM

View PostC0N0R, on Dec 29 2008, 05:03 PM, said:

View PostLoD, on Dec 29 2008, 01:16 PM, said:

Thanks,
Dave

accoustics (unless thats all you ever want to play is country/accoustic/etc) is NOT the best to learn on, you can learn more technique on electric, and will probably enjoy playing it more too.

accoustic is a harder route, i took it, i sorta regret it.

Agreed, I learned on Electric. I learned more complicated stuff as I went and developted more and more finger dexterity. After a while doing that then I went to learn chords and got the basic chords down easily and moved up to more difficult stuff with more ease than I would have if I had tried to start with chords (which isd most likely what you'll be doing if you start on an acoustic).

Don't get me wrong though, I'm planning on getting an acoustic guitar in due time, I'm just glad I learned on electric guitar first.
Official SpecOps FC

#432 User is offline   LoD 

• Lord of Death
  • PipPip

Posted 29 December 2008 - 03:18 PM

Blah.. now I am truly torn.... hrm... Have any suggestions for Acoustic and Electric for about 250?

My Feedback Thread

#433 User is offline   Ka1iBuR 

• The swagger of an EMPEROR!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ka1iBuR

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:12 PM

Actually, I would disagree with both of them. I learned on an electric, as well, and I regret it. Sure, you get more forms and techniques with an electric, but if you decide to pick up the acoustic afterward, you'll have more problems with developing your finger strength. It may be the least rewarding in the present, but going acoustic first will ultimately be your best bet. What you learn on the acoustic guitar is essential to mastering the higher forms. Besides, with a good acoustic guitar, many of these forms will be available to you anyway.

#434 User is offline   LoD 

• Lord of Death
  • PipPip

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:14 PM

View PostKa1iBuR, on Dec 29 2008, 05:12 PM, said:

Actually, I would disagree with both of them. I learned on an electric, as well, and I regret it. Sure, you get more forms and techniques with an electric, but if you decide to pick up the acoustic afterward, you'll have more problems with developing your finger strength. It may be the least rewarding in the present, but going acoustic first will ultimately be your best bet. What you learn on the acoustic guitar is essential to mastering the higher forms. Besides, with a good acoustic guitar, many of these forms will be available to you anyway.

Yeah... I'm not sure.. I've always been told acoustic to learn.. but at the same time... I dunno... What are some good quality acoustic guitars for about 250 that would last me a year or two of consistent playing?

My Feedback Thread

#435 User is offline   Ka1iBuR 

• The swagger of an EMPEROR!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ka1iBuR

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:29 PM

My suggstion?
  • Find someone who has been playing guitar for a while and sort of knows thrir stuff, and take them to a pawn shop.
  • Look for a guitar that fits you visually, first. Look it over to make sure there are no cracks in the body or where the neck meets the body.
  • Set the base of the guitar at your feet and look straight down the neck. It should not be twisted or warped.
  • Feel the strings. Overlook them if they're old and rusted, they can be replaced easily.
  • Stroke each string briskly at each fret. You should hear smooth tones, not buzz. If you do get a bit of buzz, however, this may be fixable. At this point, ask your guitar buddy if it can be adjusted to remove the buzz.
  • The strings should be fairly easy to press and fairly close to the fretboard. If you look at the guitar sideways and see that the strings are a half centimeter away from the fretboard at the higher frets, you shouldn't get it.
  • If it has electronics, ask to try it with an amp. If the sound cracks or sounds muted or distorted, something is wrong with the electronics.
  • Listen to your friend's advice (provided he knows what he's talking about...).
  • And above all, pick a guitar that "feels" good to you. You may have one of the greatest guitars in the world, but if it doesn't "flow" for you, you're gonna hate your time with it.
This is all I can think of at the moment. If anything else comes to me, I'll be sure to let you know. But I hope this helps.

Share this topic:

• (59 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users