• You cannot reply to this topic

DIY goggle fan What do you guys think? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   ClumsyNinja 

• Eschew Obfuscation
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Grimace

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:19 PM

I ran across this and was wondering if anyone has done this, and if so, how well did it work?
If not, what do you think about it?

Otherwise, cheese is good.

http://www.ehow.com/...goggle-fan.html
"Hi, I'm not the local nut, but ClumsyNinja is..."--Styro

CONFESSIONS OF AN ARMCHAIR NINJA..NOWUPDATED!!

#2 User is offline   Ken Dawg 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:KEN DAWG

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:21 AM

The use of a cooling fan has been done by another company called Fanz, my only wory with this set up is taping the wire to the (some what) of a battery pack. I just think that it would get jostled to death and would stop working from all the running around. The other company has a small battery pack that straps to the goggle strap behind your head. So that might be a good way to mod this diy.

Check out my team on Facebook Crossfire Scenario Paintball TeamJust click here

#3 User is offline   Nessun Dio 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 20 May 2010 - 03:02 PM

$35-40 at my local shop. Saves me alot of work and the chance of screwing up my mask.

#4 User is offline   Supergyro 

• Ain't He Great, Folks?
  • PipPip

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:01 AM

Ken Dawg, on May 18 2010, 09:21 AM, said:

The other company has a small battery pack that straps to the goggle strap behind your head. So that might be a good way to mod this diy.

Yeah, strapping AAA batteries end to end doesn't sound that flexible. I'd get a battery pack. Then again I wouldn't use something like this because I've never had a problem with fog in my mask.

This post has been edited by Supergyro: 21 May 2010 - 06:01 AM

Posted Image
"Of course you know, this means war."-Bugs Bunny
"My friend got killed by a throwing star but I live because of DEagle."-Thalion

"The visible spectrum is...RAINBOWS"-Pirate

#5 User is offline   Woods Bandit 

• Paintballer
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Woods Bandit

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:59 AM

Built my own mask fan once since the fog was so bad i was willing to try anything. Just took out my old bag of parts scavenged from my computer, got out a fan switch and a 6V. My mask had a lot of space in the front to put the like 2 unch fan. Unfortunatly it was loud and I stuck my lips into it way to often after the plastic cover on it fell off. To be honest i was never sure how well it worked, but the sound it made wasn't to loud but would destroy ones personal hearing pretty well. Eventually I just bought a better mask, and the fogging was no longer a problem.

#6 User is offline   CapnStank 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:CapnStank

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:04 PM

I've built one using a 3mm fan, 9V battery and a spst switch. Worked awesome at keeping out the fog but remember this buzzing fan is within your mask only inches from your ears. Your ability to hear rustling bush around you is GREATLY reduced and *IN MY OPINION* not worth the effort. I say this because if you have a good mask you wont have fog issues anyway, putting a fan in a poor mask doesn't really improve its usability... pics:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/Twi...ll/IMG_1034.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/Twi...ll/IMG_0883.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/Twi...ll/IMG_0882.jpg

And what I use now:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/Twi...9444_357936.jpg

This post has been edited by CapnStank: 22 May 2010 - 08:05 PM

"Watch out for the guy with the pump, they tend to hit their target."
My BST Feedback: +3/0

#7 User is offline   Hubb 

• Let's do dis!!
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Hubb

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:24 PM

I've got a small CPU fan in my mask. It's hooked up to a 9v and a momentary switch. I had a regular toggle switch on it at first but changed it. The fan does a great job at clearing fog within only a matter of seconds, but having it on for too long makes my eyes dry out. So now all I have to do is just hold the momentary switch for a second or so and it works fine.

#8 User is offline   SNIPER TY 

• Furtim, Patientia, Veneratio
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:SNIPER TY

Posted 26 May 2010 - 05:34 AM

i put a large CPU fan on th inside of my mask right in front of my mouth hooked up to a 9volt. i have a bad habbit of breathn up into my lenses. it dont work that great but when i get a new pair of lenses to replace my screwed up ones ima cut out a spot for a smaller fan right on top of my leses. i cant wait cause leses get real foggy down here.
Don't run, you will only die tired!!!
A case of paint for you means 2,000 paintballs but for me that's the body count
"And God gave man three things with which to fix all of man's problems: WD-40, duct tape, and a hammer."
are u DO NOT DODGE THE SWEAR FILTERS Warning Issued kidding me, that's the only thing i can say
TEAM CAPTAIN OF SHADOW UNIT
COMMANDER OF CAROLINA SILENCE: MERCINARY SNIPERS
View My Special Ops Brigade Page
commander # 145 / sniper # 1 / broadsword # 119

#9 User is offline   CapnStank 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:36 AM

SNIPER TY, on May 26 2010, 06:34 AM, said:

i put a large CPU fan on th inside of my mask right in front of my mouth hooked up to a 9volt. i have a bad habbit of breathn up into my lenses. it dont work that great but when i get a new pair of lenses to replace my screwed up ones ima cut out a spot for a smaller fan right on top of my leses. i cant wait cause leses get real foggy down here.

Is the fan blowing on your face or blowing on the mask? I suggest turning it around if its blowing on your face so that it "sucks the breath" out of the mask. I found that mine worked better that way even though having it turned around felt better on the cheeks.

#10 User is offline   Hubb 

• Let's do dis!!
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Hubb

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:45 AM

I actually have two small fans mounted right above my lens. One blows in and the other blows out and the circulation is outstanding (to the point that it will dry out my eyes), which is why I have a momentary switch mounted. I had two 9v batteries hooked up to it at first, but cut it back to one so that the fan speed would slow down.

When I can, I'll get a picture up.

#11 Guest_Schecter_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 26 May 2010 - 01:30 PM

I bought a thermal lens, works like a charm.

#12 User is offline   CapnStank 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 May 2010 - 02:37 PM

Schecter, on May 26 2010, 02:30 PM, said:

Thermal Lens get minor wear & tear on the interior that let them fog up too. Not everyone can afford a new one every time their lens goes so many look for alternatives. Heck, my thermal fogs sometimes on those rainy days.

#13 User is offline   SNIPER TY 

• Furtim, Patientia, Veneratio
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:SNIPER TY

Posted 27 May 2010 - 05:21 AM

CapnStank, on May 26 2010, 11:36 AM, said:

SNIPER TY, on May 26 2010, 06:34 AM, said:

Is the fan blowing on your face or blowing on the mask? I suggest turning it around if its blowing on your face so that it "sucks the breath" out of the mask. I found that mine worked better that way even though having it turned around felt better on the cheeks.

i origionaly mounted the fan blowing air out and down. works ok for what i put it ther for but need 1 for my lenses

Schecter, on May 26 2010, 04:30 PM, said:

yeh i have thermal leses but when you cleen the insides of the lenses (like you have to do around here on a regular bases) the coating starts to peel off. it all goes downhill from ther. thats why thermal/anti-fog lenses are only a temporary solution... unless of coarse you have the money to go out and buy a new set of lenses every 6 months...
Don't run, you will only die tired!!!
A case of paint for you means 2,000 paintballs but for me that's the body count
"And God gave man three things with which to fix all of man's problems: WD-40, duct tape, and a hammer."
are u DO NOT DODGE THE SWEAR FILTERS Warning Issued kidding me, that's the only thing i can say
TEAM CAPTAIN OF SHADOW UNIT
COMMANDER OF CAROLINA SILENCE: MERCINARY SNIPERS
View My Special Ops Brigade Page
commander # 145 / sniper # 1 / broadsword # 119

#14 User is offline   CapnStank 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:37 AM

SNIPER TY, on May 27 2010, 06:21 AM, said:

Schecter, on May 26 2010, 04:30 PM, said:

yeh i have thermal leses but when you cleen the insides of the lenses (like you have to do around here on a regular bases) the coating starts to peel off. it all goes downhill from ther. thats why thermal/anti-fog lenses are only a temporary solution... unless of coarse you have the money to go out and buy a new set of lenses every 6 months...

Just in case you're not aware... avoid using any chemicals/abrasive materials on the inside of the lens when cleaning. I only ever use a clean/dry microfibre cloth to clean mine and water if necessary. Paper-tower tends to scratch it rather quickly and I've seen people use Windex (or similar brands) on it only to have it bubble off one week later.

#15 User is offline   Ridethehate 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Ridethehate

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:08 AM

Heyo,

I was thinking about doing this to my Dye I4 mask but its really small to place anykind of fans.
My problem isnt my mask foggin up but my glasses in the mask, I cant see without them and contacts are not a option, I even call around to local eyeware shops and asked what they suggest and the number one suggestion was CatCrap. I called all around and cant find that anywhere local.

Anyone out there with a different fix for fogging?

Thanks
Hate

I have almost perfected Apathy I just dont care enough to finish..

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users