• You cannot reply to this topic

Confused I like being a Commander Rate Topic: -----

#31 User is offline   MurderDeathKill 

• Spot 31
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:MurderDeathKill

Posted 16 June 2008 - 04:47 PM

Key is in the last line, I.K.E.... we're on the same page ;)
Go Yoda -- I didn't order that!
Posted Image
T-6 A Texan II -- Vance AFB -- 71OTG Ghostriders -- 8FTS Ballers -- Cobra Flight

#32 User is offline   euglow54 

• Bring it...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:euglow54

Posted 16 June 2008 - 04:53 PM

I say train one of your guys to take over for you when you wanna hit the front lines. Not only is it good for you, but its beneficial for your team.
IPB Image
Kill by Necessity, Capture by Design
"Well, euglow54 might be the exact reason to keep the full head gear... " -Armory

#33 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 17 June 2008 - 06:12 PM

MDK...Glad we could get on the same page. Leadership comes from within and must be adapted to each situation. SEMPER GUMBY (Always Flexible)
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#34 User is offline   Ground Runner 

• They're Grrreat!!!
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:GROUNDRUNNER

Posted 17 June 2008 - 06:22 PM

If your just the commander of a squad than you don't have to hang back but if your the commander of like a platoon or bigger than yeah you probably shouldn't be dishing it out on the front lines. In fact its even better if you are up front most of the time because you can see whats going on in real time and can bark orders better instead of having to go through a middle man over the radio.
"We will not go quietly into the night!
We will not vanish without a fight!
We're going to live on!
We're going to survive!"

My friends are to poor to start a team with me so I'm looking for anyone that'll have me

#35 User is offline   The Spartan 

• awesome
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Bbaldey

Posted 18 June 2008 - 12:35 PM

Being commander means leading. Calling the shots. Giving commands. How is one supposed to know what is going on in the game without being close to the front? I know that staying "alive" is important, but it is for everyone on the team, right? I know a few people, including myself, that like to play the 'dagger' position while being commander. General George S. Patton in WWII said "Do everything you ask of those you command." He believed that leading from the back was kind of like pushing a rope. Pretty tough. You can have brotherhood and be commander at the same time. As long as your team knows that you are the one calling the shots and do what you tell them to when you need it done, the friendship can still be there.

Official Dagger #9 _ Owner of a Limited Edition Gold Smart Parts Epiphany_ Christian Baller

#36 User is offline   Saifoda2 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Saifoda

Posted 20 June 2008 - 01:58 PM

View PostI.K.E., on Jun 17 2008, 06:12 PM, said:

MDK...Glad we could get on the same page. Leadership comes from within and must be adapted to each situation. SEMPER GUMBY (Always Flexible)

Wow, that should be my team's motto -- SEMPER GUMBY. Having "gumby" in your motto would be too awesome.

And Spartan, you brought up a good point -- leading from the front no matter what sized unit you're leading. The thing about Patton was that he was very reliant on his subordinate Commanders to feed him information while he was on the front lines -- he was a Division, then Corps, then Army Commander in World War II and one man is only one man -- you can't run an Army just by "barking orders on the frontlines." Although yes, he and MacArthur both thought it was important for their men to see them in harms way as well, it was not how they fought their battles most of the time -- seeing a general on the frontlines they believed was a moral boost to the troops during difficult times. They believed it gave them some sort of extra confidence in their chain of command (although the opposite point could be argued, I agree with that statement -- what with being in the Army and all).
Proud to be sponsored by: REDZ, Warpaint International, VPSByte, Action Acres, Dangerous Power
Leaders Lead from the Front

#37 User is offline   The Spartan 

• awesome
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Bbaldey

Posted 21 June 2008 - 07:55 PM

Also a good point Saifoda2. You're right, leading from the very front is not always what is necessary; I was just making a point that it is possible to have the commander situated in the front.

...and still win the game that is.

Official Dagger #9 _ Owner of a Limited Edition Gold Smart Parts Epiphany_ Christian Baller

#38 User is offline   STAZ211 

• Do it........i dare you
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:STAZ211

Posted 04 July 2008 - 06:53 AM

View PostInfantryMan Wolf, on May 29 2008, 12:36 AM, said:

I like being a Commander and leading my team to victory and I am pretty good at it but I miss the old days where I was on the front lines helping them out and sharing in the brotherhood atmosphere. Use to play Middle Rifleman but was moved to Commander when our team's quit because he had "better things to do" and I had the most paint ball experience in tactics.

im a commander and im still in the thick of it. heck, i lead charges. the reason i put myself on the front lines are:
a) i love the combat
b ) what inspires your team more than seeing their commander on the front?
c) i know that if i do get eliminated, my team can operate fine without me.

me team kind of has 3 commanders on it (its co-lead). we all think alike, so basicaly if one gets out there are still two to lead.

This post has been edited by STAZ211: 04 July 2008 - 06:53 AM

"Let he who desires peace prepare for war..."

"Home of the free, because of the brave..."

#39 User is offline   commandocraig 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:commandocraig

Posted 04 July 2008 - 05:55 PM

View PostAce-014, on May 29 2008, 03:15 PM, said:

Well if you want to be up there then occasionally you can make someone else be a temporary commander. Good way to train sqaud leaders and such anyway.

I almost never actualy play comander, but, always lead my team (in a way). I ask for options and ideas for tactital advantage before encountering an objective. We all discuss the positives/negatives and descide on a plan as well as a possible contendgency plan. I think this helps us all learn what we are best/worst skill set is and how to use each other to benifet the greater good.

#40 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 06 July 2008 - 05:40 PM

In a small-group situation, especially one that is under no obligation to follow a chain of command (ie: Paintball), you will often find that decisions are made by group consensus. That is what craig's team seems to use. Good leaders also listen and take suggestions from their teams. The key difference between a group led by a consensus, and a team led by a commander is who makes the final decisions.

Remember that a group that follows a leader will ALWAYS be more efficient in decision-making than in a group-leadership team. Even in a group that thinks very similarly and gets along extremely well, there will be inefficiencies of process that slow the decision-making process. My example is the difference between Congress and the Army. Even if both houses of congress were filled with conservative Republicans, the decision-making process will be longer and more complicated than that of the Army.

In a small-group situation composed of close friends, group consensus may work just fine. But in the grand scheme of things, it can pay off big-time to have a well-seasoned commander to give orders that are followed.
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users