Special Ops Paintball: Spotting the enemy - Special Ops Paintball

Jump to content


  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Spotting the enemy ranged sighting Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   508WoodsBall 

  • 3POX1 5/19/09
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 203
  • Joined: 07-October 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:508, MA, USA
  • Brigade Name:StupidWhiteBoy

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:23 AM

How do you people search the distance for the enemy? Can you look through a pair of binoculars with your goggles on?
0

#2 User is offline   Steed 

  • Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,028
  • Joined: 26-July 05

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:34 AM

Let me ask you this, what the effective range of a paintball?
0

#3 User is offline   508WoodsBall 

  • 3POX1 5/19/09
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 203
  • Joined: 07-October 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:508, MA, USA
  • Brigade Name:StupidWhiteBoy

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:40 AM

View PostSteed, on Oct 31 2007, 08:34 AM, said:

Let me ask you this, what the effective range of a paintball?

Its not so much the efffective range sometime when Im at my local field I can tell if something in the distance is a foot or a log. Or when I'm in the ghost town I would like to be able to search the windows. So what if I cant reach them, knowing where the enemy is is a HUGE advantage. Especially for someone using radio equiptment (which I dont).

I'm not talking about like coast guard binoculars either that you could see for miles with. I just mean a small pair you could keep in your pocket for a tactical advantage (finding a clear path to move up, avoiding ambushes, and alerting team mates to enemy positions).

This post has been edited by 508WoodsBall: 31 October 2007 - 08:43 AM

0

#4 User is offline   undeadmouse 

  • Look! An undead mouse!
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 314
  • Joined: 23-May 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Maryland
  • Brigade Name:undeadmouse

Posted 31 October 2007 - 09:01 AM


The woods field I play at is small enough I can see the other teams starting position easily, and can tell where everyone goes if I stand on a rock.

Hide in shame from my lack of aim! - Pump Member 112 (It's been over 2 years, okay?) ...blah dropped to 54% shot efficiency.
I'm back from a long long long time of no paintball, drooling over markers older then I am.
0

#5 User is offline   LcplSchmiz 

  • Arrive. Raise Hell. Leave.
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 83
  • Joined: 11-September 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:In the sticks of WI
  • Brigade Name:LcplSchmiz

Posted 31 October 2007 - 09:17 AM

View Post508WoodsBall, on Oct 31 2007, 10:23 AM, said:

How do you people search the distance for the enemy? Can you look through a pair of binoculars with your goggles on?


estimating range with your two eyes is actually pretty easy. Example: The way I learned was back in Marine Corps with the 500 yard target. If you can get a mental picture of what a person looks like at 500 yards, and you see someone at a distance and depending small or big the person appears you can guess his range. Another way is again using 500 yards, use your thumb, for me the body of the target is no bigger then the skin along the length of my nail.

Looking through a set of bino's with your googles is going to depend on focus and kind of tricky. I'd suggest if you have problem with range, check out a monocular range finder used for hunting.
0

#6 User is offline   LoveMyMagMoreThanYou 

  • CPPA #1875
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 688
  • Joined: 27-October 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sedro-Woolley, WA
  • Brigade Name:Undying

Posted 31 October 2007 - 09:27 AM

Man, did some people read a bunch into the question.......

I don't know for sure if you could use binos with the goggles. I would assume that the eyepiece is too far from your eyes to see the image in the eyepiece. If you have some binos, I would suggest trying them out. I don't personally use them.

You could also try mounting a magnified scope on your gun to use to spot. Although the range police will tell you that the scope will have you shooting at stuff you can't hit, it would give you an advantage with scouting.

BTW, with practice you can learn to compensate for the magnification trickery and still use the scope to put paint on target.

:usa:

This post has been edited by LoveMyMagMoreThanYou: 31 October 2007 - 09:31 AM

0

#7 User is offline   P V 

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 209
  • Joined: 19-August 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Huntsville, Muskoka

Posted 31 October 2007 - 10:00 AM

i have a 4x 30mm scope mounted under my red dot .. it works great, don't have to reach in my pocket for it, can use it to shoot (maybe 10% of shots) and was dirt cheap.

i have left these forums do to unequal moderation, please feel free to email/MSN me for all communication
0

#8 User is offline   LoveMyMagMoreThanYou 

  • CPPA #1875
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 688
  • Joined: 27-October 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sedro-Woolley, WA
  • Brigade Name:Undying

Posted 31 October 2007 - 11:21 AM

View PostP V, on Oct 31 2007, 10:00 AM, said:

i have a 4x 30mm scope mounted under my red dot .. it works great, don't have to reach in my pocket for it, can use it to shoot (maybe 10% of shots) and was dirt cheap.


YES!! That's what I was thinking, too! I want to get a Tac-one body for my Automag and put a 4x on one rail and my red dot on the other. One for spotting and one for shooting.

:usa:
0

#9 User is offline   The Shepherd 

  • Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,083
  • Joined: 11-November 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Brigade Name:The Shepherd

Posted 31 October 2007 - 02:01 PM

View PostLcplSchmiz, on Oct 31 2007, 10:17 AM, said:

View Post508WoodsBall, on Oct 31 2007, 10:23 AM, said:

How do you people search the distance for the enemy? Can you look through a pair of binoculars with your goggles on?


estimating range with your two eyes is actually pretty easy. Example: The way I learned was back in Marine Corps with the 500 yard target. If you can get a mental picture of what a person looks like at 500 yards, and you see someone at a distance and depending small or big the person appears you can guess his range. Another way is again using 500 yards, use your thumb, for me the body of the target is no bigger then the skin along the length of my nail.

Looking through a set of bino's with your googles is going to depend on focus and kind of tricky. I'd suggest if you have problem with range, check out a monocular range finder used for hunting.


I'm going to have to try this. Another way is to get one of those ACOG 4X scopes.
0

#10 User is offline   P V 

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 209
  • Joined: 19-August 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Huntsville, Muskoka

Posted 31 October 2007 - 05:43 PM

View PostLoveMyMagMoreThanYou, on Oct 31 2007, 11:21 AM, said:

View PostP V, on Oct 31 2007, 10:00 AM, said:

i have a 4x 30mm scope mounted under my red dot .. it works great, don't have to reach in my pocket for it, can use it to shoot (maybe 10% of shots) and was dirt cheap.


YES!! That's what I was thinking, too! I want to get a Tac-one body for my Automag and put a 4x on one rail and my red dot on the other. One for spotting and one for shooting.

:usa:


i just mounted my red dot over my scope.. (see pics in brigade page) .. also doing it this way can potentially make your red dot more accurate for either a longer distance or 2 distances (depends on zeroing distance) because its higher and will follow the drop of the ball longer. and also make it easier and quicker to look in the red dot, making aimed shots quicker and more accurate.

for anyone, who doesn't believe or get the higher mounted red dot CAN potentially=more accurate for longer distance concept, just say so and i'll doodle a pic in paint. (basically ball drops down, and red dot is aimed more down.. it depends on your distances, really)

i have left these forums do to unequal moderation, please feel free to email/MSN me for all communication
0

#11 User is offline   LoveMyMagMoreThanYou 

  • CPPA #1875
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 688
  • Joined: 27-October 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sedro-Woolley, WA
  • Brigade Name:Undying

Posted 31 October 2007 - 07:04 PM

Unfortunately, there is no top rail on the Tac one, so that wouldn't work for me. But the physics of what you described is sound.
0

#12 User is offline   savage sniper 

  • yup im a sniper
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 35
  • Joined: 04-May 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:argyle michigan
  • Brigade Name:gopherduck

Posted 31 October 2007 - 07:12 PM

binos could work it you rolled down the rubber eye cups on them like you do if you wear glasses
I just use a 4x15 scope on my gun I works for shots (I play sniper) and I helps a great deal for spotting targets

for estemating range just learn what 100 yards looks like and thats about all you need
I can estimate out to about 400 yards
It doesn't have to look good as long as it works

their is always a sniper watching you

92% of teens would drop dead if Abercrombie and Fitch said breathing wasn't cool. If your one of the 8% who would be laughing their butt off, put this in your sig.
0

#13 User is offline   Orpackrat 

  • Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,062
  • Joined: 17-May 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Oregon Coast
  • Brigade Name:Orpackrat

Posted 31 October 2007 - 09:33 PM

I constantly look for anything that seems out of place, moving vegitation that is quicker than the wind, moving in the wrong direction, etc. After playing Halo 2 for a bit, I have begun to spot anything that is a little out of place, quickly examine it to determin if its harmless or a target and shoot if nessasary. No need for binoculars or monoculars where I play, its either dense jungle or a small town on the edge of the jungle.
0

#14 User is offline   Evil Fingers 

  • ELITE Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 13,979
  • Joined: 22-September 06
  • Location:Sucka Free, Nor Cal

Posted 31 October 2007 - 11:43 PM

Look into WWII Battle Campaign pics (especially Desert Warfare) and you'll see soldiers and Officers wearing their Goggles and using Binoculars.

But to use a pair of Binoculars on a Paintball Field....is your Eye Sight really that bad?
0

#15 User is offline   P V 

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 209
  • Joined: 19-August 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Huntsville, Muskoka

Post icon  Posted 01 November 2007 - 06:31 AM

View PostOrpackrat, on Oct 31 2007, 09:33 PM, said:

After playing Halo 2 for a bit, I have begun to spot anything that is a little out of place, quickly examine it to determin if its harmless or a target and shoot if nessasary. No need for binoculars or monoculars where I play, its either dense jungle or a small town on the edge of the jungle.



wha? ;) ;)

you know theres a "halo haters" thread you should check out.. mainly the video in the first post here:
http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index...=131312&hl=

i have left these forums do to unequal moderation, please feel free to email/MSN me for all communication
0

Share this topic:


  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users