Special Ops Paintball: The crazy bastard actually did it. . . - Special Ops Paintball

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The crazy bastard actually did it. . . Semi-auto propane gun Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   WardenWolf 

• Aspie Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:WardenWolf

Posted 13 March 2010 - 08:15 PM

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/09/do..._paintball_gun/

Who else thinks it's going to have overheating problems? And who else is sorely disappointed that it's 98-based?

Kanye: "Yo, Chile, I'm gonna let you finish shakin', but I just got to say Haiti had one of the best earthquakes of all time!"
Save a tree: wipe your ass with a hippie!

#2 User is offline   Ritsuka 

• One of these days I'm going to cut you into little pieces
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:D-Becks

Posted 13 March 2010 - 08:28 PM

So if you had a leaky o-ring would you have a flame thrower? :P

I don't see Propane replacing carbon dioxide or nitrogen at the moment, hell nitrogen hasn't even really replaced carbon dioxide yet, despite that it is marginally better. I don't know about you but I don't want to burn my hand because my marker is firing to fast, nor do I want to strap a flammable gas tank to my leg.
"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad like the most of us are, very hard to explain why your mad, even if your not mad."

#3 User is offline   PWalk 

• Lacrosse Grenadier
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Keg

Posted 13 March 2010 - 08:29 PM

I don't know if I'd want to carry one out in the field. Being 98 based I can't seem to figure out a way to do it with a cyclone attached being how the chamber is configured. I'm not an engineer but I've taken more than my fair amount of college level chem and physics to make a guess that the simple gravity feed allows for better ball loading into the chamber.

Who am I kidding, I want to play with one now. I'll bet it's a "blast" to take apart and clean.
KEG

T.S.S.O.C. is proud to represent:
Tippmann | Lapco | PaintballX3 Magazine | Poco Loco Paintball | RAP4

#4 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 13 March 2010 - 08:30 PM

View PostWardenWolf, on Mar 13 2010, 08:15 PM, said:

Who else thinks it's going to have overheating problems? And who else is sorely disappointed that it's 98-based?

For a second I thought, wasn't a propane propelled paintball marker already done for people too out of the way to get access to CO2...?

Then I read it and was like holy crap! People better start chronoing at fields even more strictly when these show up!!

#5 User is offline   Ritsuka 

• One of these days I'm going to cut you into little pieces
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:D-Becks

Posted 13 March 2010 - 08:33 PM

View Postcdrinkh20, on Mar 13 2010, 09:30 PM, said:

View PostWardenWolf, on Mar 13 2010, 08:15 PM, said:

For a second I thought, wasn't a propane propelled paintball marker already done for people too out of the way to get access to CO2...?

Then I read it and was like holy crap! People better start chronoing at fields even more strictly when these show up!!

Tippmann has made a propane fueled paintball marker before, it was known as the C3, it was pump marker however, and I don't think it was very popular mainly because it was pump and it wasn't customizable. It supposedly got some 50,000 or so shots from a 16oz propane tank.
"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad like the most of us are, very hard to explain why your mad, even if your not mad."

#6 User is offline   UWANNAGO 

• Im kind of a big deal, people know me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Brigade Name:UWANNAGO

Posted 13 March 2010 - 08:37 PM

I personally saw flames come out of a c3.

I would never pickup or want to see someone shoot a semi auto propane gun.

It also looks ugly...hpa and co2 are cheap and work great I dont see a reason to fix what isnt broke.

#7 User is offline   5N1P3R 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 March 2010 - 08:52 PM

That actually sounds crazy... o_0

#8 User is offline   Cuy'val Dar  

• 327 G.I.R. Bastogne Bulldogs
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MICHAEL J. CABOOSE

Posted 13 March 2010 - 09:27 PM

Sounds good to me. I can now play paintball an roast marshmellows at the same time! :P

The article made Dennis look like a mad doctor, and kinda gave a sour outlook to the sport.
Basing it off a 98 makes sense though. Its simple. sort of...
Posted Image

Doorbells? Seriously? That's the swear filter?
. -Pirate
"Authenticity bro, everyone voids their bowels when they die."
-Guy at end of paintball movie

#9 User is offline   stinkfingr 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 March 2010 - 01:20 AM

The article was based on sensationalism and sarcasm. It referred to nazi bombs and an exploding turnip ... wtf ...

i think this idea is awesome ... if you do the math, you should be able to get 1,322 shots out of a 12 gram propane cartridge, now who wouldn't want a small, pop in/ pop out 12 gram cartridge of propellant that would weigh less than an ounce and shoot half a case of paint with it ? talk about changing the game as we know it. you would no longer have that big tank hanging off of the back of your gun, or the need for a remote line ... just pack a couple of 12 gram cartridges in your bag as a spare, if you shoot that much paint, or go to a scenario. how much does that tank of yours weigh ? now i know that they aren't talking 12 gram cartridges in this article, but it would only be a very short time before that would be a reality

suddenly, your profile in the bush and behind a bunker gets much smaller, and isn't that what you want ? now if they could just redesign the hopper where all you do is plug in your pod instead of pouring it in.. just pull the old one, and pop in your fresh filled one

#10 User is offline   betasniper 

• A four dimensional object
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:betasniper

Posted 14 March 2010 - 01:23 AM

View Postklaatu, on Mar 14 2010, 12:20 AM, said:

now if they could just redesign the hopper where all you do is plug in your pod instead of pouring it in.. just pull the old one, and pop in your fresh filled one
Did you just describe a Q-loader?
Wikipedia is the Walmart of knowledge, they have everything, but it is all tainted one way or another. If you spit on your monitor, your saliva becomes a rainbow, this is Microsoft's form of "optimism". One way to know if your lazy is if you use print preview, because you can't press the print button your self.
Zdspb-Marker Animations Long list of working markers, visit if confused Click here!!! Auxiliary Grammar Police #13 225Bp
If you collect coins, you're an economist. If you collect rocks, you're a geologist. if you collect death threats, you're the president.
"Most people swear by there A-5 I tend to swear at mine instead."-Long Wood, MY AWESOME WEBSITE!!!once you've gone shameless, you'll never go blameless As I lay in bed, I looked at the stars and thought, where the hell is my ceiling? "I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car..

#11 User is offline   betasniper 

• PipPipPip

Posted 14 March 2010 - 01:30 AM

Also, it is easy to overcome the over heating problems. I just can't say how because I intend to make my own version. (sorry, I want to make money. Is that against the law?) I'm working on the design right now, I just need so make a few spark plugs, get a PCB made and programed, and actually cut some metal. All this might take a few months. Wish me luck.

Edit: Sorry for the Double Post, I didn't realize I replied just before myself. :dodgy:

This post has been edited by betasniper: 14 March 2010 - 01:31 AM

Wikipedia is the Walmart of knowledge, they have everything, but it is all tainted one way or another. If you spit on your monitor, your saliva becomes a rainbow, this is Microsoft's form of "optimism". One way to know if your lazy is if you use print preview, because you can't press the print button your self.
Zdspb-Marker Animations Long list of working markers, visit if confused Click here!!! Auxiliary Grammar Police #13 225Bp
If you collect coins, you're an economist. If you collect rocks, you're a geologist. if you collect death threats, you're the president.
"Most people swear by there A-5 I tend to swear at mine instead."-Long Wood, MY AWESOME WEBSITE!!!once you've gone shameless, you'll never go blameless As I lay in bed, I looked at the stars and thought, where the hell is my ceiling? "I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car..

#12 User is offline   stinkfingr 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 March 2010 - 01:35 AM

View Postbetasniper, on Mar 14 2010, 04:23 AM, said:

View Postklaatu, on Mar 14 2010, 12:20 AM, said:

now if they could just redesign the hopper where all you do is plug in your pod instead of pouring it in.. just pull the old one, and pop in your fresh filled one
Did you just describe a Q-loader?

lol ... nah, but close ... the qloader you still had to fill your special pods in advance and be careful how you inserted during a game ... i meant to just take a 140 round or 150 round pod that you can push onto a rubber sleeve perhaps, that then magically push paintballs into the ram ... haha .. it would take some engineering, but if the pod were angled and fed the gears ... i would trim the gears way down in size to only effect 1 or 2 paintballs at a time , that way you dont have this humongous gear mechanism to hide or find a place for.

#13 User is offline   The Stuntman 

• I feel like I'm taking Crazy Pills!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:The Stuntman

Posted 14 March 2010 - 02:09 AM

I find the idea of propane markers to be...interesting. The C3 was an odd gun - Ive only ever seen one on a field. The "flame" isnt really that hot - more like a flash. The guy who had it said that he put his hand in it & it felt like a hair-dryer.
Still, I would be curious what the overheating issues (if any) this thing has & how they deal with them.

Its one of those crazy ideas that I dont think will ever be practical...but it would be really cool if it actually worked.

Two words: NIGHT GAMES!

This post has been edited by The Stuntman: 14 March 2010 - 02:10 AM

#14 User is offline   Gilla 

• Action shot!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:gilla

Posted 14 March 2010 - 07:57 AM

I like the idea of 12 grams but I don't think they will ever be made

I like the night games comment even more Stuntman!

The idea is neat but, the reporting was a little sensationalized. I couldn't make out the design well but it looked to have an ignitor as well as a trigger. I'll be looking at it closer but if I buy another marker I'll be getting a divorce.
Who flung poo?

#15 User is offline   betasniper 

• PipPipPip

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:56 AM

Download the patent, just use Googleİ to search for patent number US007665396B1. I have the whole patent document right in front of me to see if my design is covered in the patent. So far it isn't. :rolleyes:

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users