• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:05 AM

View Postslinkyaroo, on Oct 30 2008, 08:49 AM, said:

View PostDeus Ex Machina, on Oct 30 2008, 11:13 AM, said:

View Postslinkyaroo, on Oct 30 2008, 06:26 AM, said:

View PostDeus Ex Machina, on Oct 30 2008, 12:10 AM, said:

Barack Obama has the vision, the voice, and the intelligence that America needs right now,

Really? That's speculation and not a fact. I can use that exact quote and substitute McCain's name.

It's called "Opinion".

See, you'll notice the topic is about our likes and dislikes. I like the way Barack Obama and Joe Biden are set up. I dislike the way John McCain and Sarah Palin are set up. Ergo, I will illustrate why I like the way Obama/Biden are, and dislike why McCain/Palin are.

Show me exactly where I claimed it to be fact, and you might have a point.

You use the term "has" - this is ownership. Not that he "may have" or "I think he has". The statement is an absolute.

Absolutes can still be opinion.

For instance, saying, "I have the need for a Pepsi" is opinion as well. I very well may not need a pepsi, but I still hold the opinion that I do. Another example is, "John Smith has the knowledge on how to build a better rocket." He may not have the knowledge to build a better rocket, but I can hold that in my opinion as well. They key is the adverb (need), or adjectives (Better, good).

Slink, the best you can argue is that I have poor grammar, in which case this is a pointless strawman.

This post has been edited by Deus Ex Machina: 30 October 2008 - 09:07 AM

#32 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:09 AM

Ok - If an opinion great. I just saw it as another way.

#33 User is offline   Deus Ex Machina 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:12 AM

Fair enough. If you want me to qualify it, I'll do so in the Obama thread.

In fact, I feel like doing so now.

#34 User is offline   Suicide Jockey 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Suicide Jockey

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:13 AM

Oh, semantics. Reading through this thread is like watching the last six months of American politics in microcosm.

Just so long as we don't get into a discussion of what the definition of "is" is.

The Enemy's Gate is Down
φόβοςαπώλειαςσφαιρώνχρωμάτων - Apolesfairornatophobia: the terrible fear that somehow, somewhere, you're going to get shot in the mask.

#35 User is offline   Deus Ex Machina 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:28 AM

View PostSuicide Jockey, on Oct 30 2008, 09:13 AM, said:

Oh, semantics. Reading through this thread is like watching the last six months of American politics in microcosm.

Just so long as we don't get into a discussion of what the definition of "is" is.

It is not what you think it is.

#36 User is offline   Ashrak 

• Precipice
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:34 AM

What does he think it is? And should I be relieved that it is in fact not what he thinks it is?
Alea iacta est ~ The board is set, the pieces are moving.
~ Like the leaves of the forest when Summer is green, That host with their banners at sunset were seen:
Like the leaves of the forest when Autumn hath blown, That host on the morrow lay withered and strown. ~ Destruction of Sennacherib

~ Believe me, dear Sir: there is not in the American states a man who more cordially loves a union with his country than I do. But, by the God that made me, I will cease to exist before I yield to a connection on such terms as the United States Congress proposes; and in this, I think I speak the sentiments of America. ~ Thomas Jefferson (modernized)
Summertime Blues

#37 User is offline   Suicide Jockey 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:47 AM

Just a politics/semantics joke, folks!

During Clinton's sex-scandal impeachment process:

"Under attack and under oath during taped grand jury testimony prior to his impeachment hearing he declared that whether he had told the truth hinged on the definition of the word "is": "It depends upon what the meaning of the word 'is' is.""

-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._...ts#Bill_Clinton

See Also: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=j4XT-l-_3y0

The Enemy's Gate is Down
φόβοςαπώλειαςσφαιρώνχρωμάτων - Apolesfairornatophobia: the terrible fear that somehow, somewhere, you're going to get shot in the mask.

#38 User is offline   Ashrak 

• Precipice
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:56 AM

I know. I just felt compelled to take the opportunity and speak gibberish. :huh:
~ Like the leaves of the forest when Summer is green, That host with their banners at sunset were seen:
Like the leaves of the forest when Autumn hath blown, That host on the morrow lay withered and strown. ~ Destruction of Sennacherib

~ Believe me, dear Sir: there is not in the American states a man who more cordially loves a union with his country than I do. But, by the God that made me, I will cease to exist before I yield to a connection on such terms as the United States Congress proposes; and in this, I think I speak the sentiments of America. ~ Thomas Jefferson (modernized)
Summertime Blues

#39 User is offline   Suicide Jockey 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 30 October 2008 - 10:02 AM

Heh. . . just making sure, I guess. Seems like during an election year, these forums can turn as vicious as a polar bear.

This post has been edited by Suicide Jockey: 30 October 2008 - 10:17 AM

The Enemy's Gate is Down

#40 User is offline   Twisted_Mister 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Twisted_Mister

Posted 30 October 2008 - 10:37 AM

I do not like the fact that McCain appears to be unable to maintain his train of thought at times. It worsens with age, so it will not get better.
I do not like that McCain has no economic vision.
I do not like Palin. She is very unintelligent (being nice) and untrustworthy ( she has lied about the trooper scandal, the bridge to nowhere, and the expense reports in the short time in the spotlight)
I do not like business as usual. It is abundantly clear that what we have going is not working. Why on earth would we try it for 4 more years?

I voted for Obama and I am not ashamed, as a republica, to have done so. My party has failed me and I demand a change. Obama failing while trying to institute change is better than the status quo that is John McCain.

#41 User is offline   Deus Ex Machina 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 October 2008 - 11:07 AM

View PostAshrak, on Oct 30 2008, 09:34 AM, said:

What does he think it is? And should I be relieved that it is in fact not what he thinks it is?

It is, what it is, because what it is, is what it should have not, and is it now not what it was, when it was what it was?

#42 User is offline   Veritech Squad 

• Come at me bro.
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 October 2008 - 11:18 AM

"What is it? It's it. What is it?" :D
Wretched is the sound of my voice.

IN MY DROPSHIP ZIGZAGS STAY LIT

#43 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 30 October 2008 - 11:27 AM

View PostAshrak, on Oct 30 2008, 12:56 PM, said:

I know. I just felt compelled to take the opportunity and speak gibberish. :panzer:

The "I love Obama" thread is two doors down. :D

#44 User is offline   Ashrak 

• Precipice
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 October 2008 - 11:40 AM

View PostDeus Ex Machina, on Oct 30 2008, 02:07 PM, said:

It is, what it is, because what it is, is what it should have not, and is it now not what it was, when it was what it was?

But is what it is, what it was, when it was is? If so, how can we ratonalize what it is, when it is now what it was, if it is what it is now?

View PostVeritech Squad, on Oct 30 2008, 02:18 PM, said:

"What is it? It's it. What is it?" :D

What is was.

View Postslinkyaroo, on Oct 30 2008, 02:27 PM, said:

View PostAshrak, on Oct 30 2008, 12:56 PM, said:

I know. I just felt compelled to take the opportunity and speak gibberish. :blink:

The "I love Obama" thread is two doors down. :panzer:

Good one. :blink:

Summertime Blues

#45 User is offline   Deus Ex Machina 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 October 2008 - 11:45 AM

View PostAshrak, on Oct 30 2008, 11:40 AM, said:

View PostDeus Ex Machina, on Oct 30 2008, 02:07 PM, said:

But is what it is, what it was, when it was is? If so, how can we ratonalize what it is, when it is now what it was, if it is what it is now?

I know nothing.
I know nothing.
I know nothing.

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users