Special Ops Paintball: How long is to long?? - Special Ops Paintball

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How long is to long?? At what size does your barrel start to lose power?? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Falconstar 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:$niper

Posted 18 November 2009 - 01:49 PM

I have a 20inch smart parts barrel and it wont fit on my tippman. now people have been telling me that 20 is to long and i should go 2 a 14 or 12. i want to know if it really matters and what should i do??

#2 User is offline   Flippy the Wonder Bunny 

• My E-MAN PART is bigger than yours
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2009 - 02:05 PM

That title made me lol.

What do you mean when you say it won't fit on your Tippmann?

#3 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2009 - 02:05 PM

Welcome to forum. Not quite the right section - barrels would have been better. I bet a mod can move it though.

Now to your question...

Which Tippmann? This matters because if you're going to buy a barrel, you'll want to pick something with the correct threads (since you said "it doesn't fit" I'm assuming that's the issue).

Related question, what threading was the barrel?

There's several barrel threads out there - the closest to universal is perhaps the "autococker" threading.

In the case of those that are relevant (Tippmann), there are two thread types:

1. 98 - Tippmann 98 / custom pro / 98 custom.

2. Pro carbine (sometimes called A5) -- Works for pro carbine, A5, X7, Triumph (I think? 98% sure) and the TPX.

Moving on to length.

For a paintball marker, ideal barrel length is anywhere from 10-14 inches, depending on your personal preference. You want about the first 6-8 inches of length to be unported (for the paintball to accelerate up to speed). After that it's also personal preference - more porting will result in a quieter marker, though Tippmanns tend to be loud regardless of what you do to them.

A 20 inch barrel offers no advantage to a 14 inch barrel. You can use one if you prefer, but most find it awkward to handle in the field and since there's no benefit for the added length, most don't use them.

It's not "wrong" per se, just doesn't do anything positive.

On the subject of "losing power," the answer is you won't. A Tippmann adjusts velocity by choking off gas that heads through the bolt and propels the paintball. You'll use the same gas regardless of barrel length.

As far as 12 versus 14 inches goes, there's only one deciding factor -- personal preference. Whichever you like better is the one to go with.

This post has been edited by Thalion: 18 November 2009 - 02:08 PM

Member of Team Akkadian

#4 User is offline   Xakk 

• got boost?
  • PipPip

Posted 18 November 2009 - 03:21 PM

As stated above, 12-14 is a good length. 20... eh... using more air for no reason. Paint to bore match is what you need to care about. I used to use the 12 in stock barrel on my Ion, but I found a 16(SP Progressive) that has a better paint/bore match and a lot more porting on my local field's paint(Field paint only). So I use it instead. I like the feel of the 12 more, but the 16 shoots straighter and quieter, so I rock it instead. 18 and longer, you better have a big air tank, and be really tall. Ive poked holes in the ground with my 16 running to a bunker before. Not fun. :happy:

#5 User is offline   82ndx 

• Facta Non Verba
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:82ndx

Posted 18 November 2009 - 03:25 PM

View PostFlippy the Wonder Bunny, on Nov 18 2009, 01:05 PM, said:

That title made me lol.

Not just me then? Glad to see I'm not the only one...
Im not going to bother looking anything up to support this but isn't 13 inches the "perfect" length? Which would lead me to say either a 12 or 14?

#6 User is offline   TyTy 

• Formerly known as Ty29...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Cpt.Ringo

Posted 18 November 2009 - 03:41 PM

14" or 12" is ideal for most people. I prefer a 12" when I play front, but if I'm playing mid, a scenario game or something laid back I'll use a 14". Just what I do :/.
-Ty

#7 User is offline   B-boo 

• Behold the Proteus.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:B-Boo

Posted 18 November 2009 - 03:52 PM

AT PTI, and I am no expert at all lol, they told us anything over 14" shortens distance and reduces velocity
"Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, others achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them."- William Shakespeare

PTI Certified Basic Airsmith #2773 : UE Paintball Club Member

#8 User is offline   Bloody Beetroot 

• Destroooooooooy!!!
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Toad24.5

Posted 18 November 2009 - 04:02 PM

I wouldn't go above 14-16 inches in terms of maximum efficiency, though longer, ported barrels are quieter. I have a 16 inch sniper barrel for my sp-1 that performs great for me. I also got a 20 inch barrel for my MR-2 lol I rarely use it, when i do, it's for intimidation of n00bs lol.

#9 User is offline   Xakk 

• got boost?
  • PipPip

Posted 18 November 2009 - 04:50 PM

Distance and velocity can be changed by turning up the air pressure(fps). However, in doing so, air efficiency goes down respectively.

short barrels(0-11in)

good air efficiency
bad accuracy - in general
easy to maneuver
loud

medium barrels(12-14in) *****best bang for the buck*****
normal air efficiency
accurate
decently quiet
decent to maneuver

long barrels(15-18in)

not as air efficient
same accuracy as medium barrels
sometimes quieter than medium barrels depending on porting
can be hard to maneuver

really long barrels(18-REALLY REALLY LONG)

NOT air efficient
same accuracy as medium barrels
sometimes quieter depending on porting
impossible to maneuver

But like I said, length doesn't matter, its width. The size of the paint compared to the bore size of the barrel. If your local field has a pro shop, buy some paint and ask to see all of the barrels you can use for your gun. Then find the best match. Use the search function on the forums to find the paint to bore test. I really don't want to explain it lol.

#10 User is offline   Thalion 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2009 - 05:21 PM

Xakk,

While it's conceivable that a longer barrel could use more air (though to what degree of impact it has I am uncertain), in the case of a bone stock Tippmann (less the barrel), that's not the case.

A Tippmann uses the same gas per pull of the trigger regardless, velocity is controlled by restricting how much goes forward to the bolt/paintball and how much is expended on the "blowback" or wasted/unused. A lot of air is wasted with the Tippmann design - it's easily possible to have a 20" barrel chrono'd at field limit with them, and it's using the same air it would with a shorter barrel (just more air would be actually used to propel the paintball instead of wasted/resetting the bolt)
Member of Team Akkadian

#11 User is offline   Xakk 

• got boost?
  • PipPip

Posted 18 November 2009 - 06:46 PM

:P hmm, learn something new everyday! :D But still, the over all question of it slowing the ball down or it not traveling as far is still the same. Every gun that shoots the same FPS shoots the same distance(within reason -except for the flat line - that's accuracy for ya :D please dont take that seriously). On most guns however(not tippmann), air efficiency drops as the barrel becomes longer, correct? That's what Ive always been told. ;)

This post has been edited by Xakk: 18 November 2009 - 06:47 PM

#12 User is offline   Thalion 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2009 - 07:24 PM

View PostXakk, on Nov 18 2009, 07:46 PM, said:

On most guns however(not tippmann), air efficiency drops as the barrel becomes longer, correct? That's what Ive always been told. :D

Well, that falls under the category of "it depends."

If the marker relies on a regulator for velocity, then technically speaking yes. From a practical standpoint, the actual loss in efficiency will vary. By "practical," I mean "will you actually get a significant number of less shots?"

A stacked-tube (spyder and clones) will lose a very small amount of efficiency over a long barrel (5 shots or less?) because the hammer hits the valve harder and leaves it open a fraction longer.

Will it be less efficient? Technically yes. Will it be noticeable? It depends.
Member of Team Akkadian

#13 User is offline   Damage Incorporated 

• Knight Stalkers Scenario Paintball Team Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2009 - 08:14 PM

Paint to bore match is the best thing you can do for accuracy, not a longer barrel. A longer barrel just makes you use more air to get your FPS where you want it becuase of increased drag on the ball from barrel contact and air escaping around the ball. You have to remember that you are shooting a round projectile so aerodynamics is not the best to start with. It is not like you are shooting a bullet thru a riffled barrel. Riffling gives a bullet more stability improving its aerodynamic stability and accuracy. Riffling a paintball barrel really does nothing to improve accuracy so don't waste money on a riffled paintball barrel either.

Matching your paint to your bore size keeps all the air behind the ball so force is exerted equally. If the bore is too big, some air escapes around the ball so equal force is not always exerted equally on the ball all the way around. The escaping air is "force" you have lost to propel the ball. So you have to turn up the velocity adjusting screw to make up for the lost "force" by allowing more air to be put behind the ball. The correct bore also keeps the ball centered in the barrel and does not allow it to wobble/bounce around as it goes down the barrel. Keeps it straight the whole way thru so it comes out the barrel centered. Not off to one side or the other. We may be talking thousandths of an inch to one side or the other but every little bit helps when you are shooting something that is not the most aerodynamic to begin with.

Just my 2 cents on the subject

Proudly Sponsored by:
Outdoor Adventures Pasadena, Maryland-Rosedale, Maryland-Chesapeake City Maryland
CCM-Chipley Custom Machine

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and success of freedom"
John F. Kennedy 1961

#14 User is offline   Flippy the Wonder Bunny 

• My E-MAN PART is bigger than yours
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2009 - 08:17 PM

Consistency > Paint to bore match

#15 User is offline   Thalion 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2009 - 08:25 PM

View PostFlippy the Wonder Bunny, on Nov 18 2009, 09:17 PM, said:

Consistency > Paint to bore match

Agreed.

I'd rather slightly overbore to escape any occasional barrel breaks and have greater consistency than have a less consistent marker and a "perfect" match.
Member of Team Akkadian

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users