• You cannot reply to this topic

Can't get A-5's velocity up Has several ups, causing problem? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   The Bear 

• The Bear
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Ghost Bear

Post icon  Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:09 PM

I have an A-5 with Cyclone, Response trigger and Red Hot Power Tube. I'm using a Crossfire 88/45 air tank with remote straight to tombstone. I can't get my velocity to go above 240-250ish. I've heard some people say the Cyclone and Response take some of the air, but others say it only uses blow-back air. Maybe the power tube is affecting it? Or maybe my air tank isnt outputting enough pressure? (it's a high pressure tank, but non-adjustable and I don't have a gauge to check incoming pressure.) My local airsmith suggested trying to get an adjustable regulator for my tank and see if I can boost the incoming pressure.
Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks,
Bear
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   Lord Odin 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Lord Odin

Posted 23 June 2010 - 09:28 PM

Chances are your tank is outputting just fine. Most Tippmann's can operate to 650+ psi with little to no mods. Unless you're running an LP tank or your reg is severely messed up, chances are your tank and remote line are operating fine.

Also, the Cyclone and RT shouldn't rob your velocity that much. They require very little air compared to what most people think.

Have you polished your internals? Removing the paint overspray is a big culprit is slowing down the hammer from striking the valve pin with proper force. Having a smoother surface helps as well but comes with polishing.

How tight is the hammer fitting into your powertube? If its too tight of a fit, it will cause a lot of friction and slow down the hammer's movement. Do you get the same velocity problem with the stock powertube? If not, swap out your powertube.

There are more options but I would start with those for now.

#3 User is offline   blackcelldrumr15 

• Group: Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 June 2010 - 09:39 PM

If you have a High Output tank then that is not your problem, it should work perfectly fine.

Are you using a regulator of any sort?
Posted Image
Facebook - Group: Banned #18
PMR - P90 Ion FOR SALE - System X Sniper

#4 User is offline   chasbronson 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:chasbronson

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:08 PM

We had some remote lines that were just plain obstructed from new.Take off the quick coupler end and blow through it.It should be fairly easy to blow through.The faulty ones would turn you red face just to get any air through.If ok,Also check the length of the rear bolt spring. When they get weak they do that.If suspect, stretch it by hand ,your velocity should go up.Use until you can get a new spring.

This post has been edited by chasbronson: 23 June 2010 - 10:11 PM

#5 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:24 PM

It's your crossfire tank. It is only outputting 800 PSI. While that would be fine for CO2, with HPA on A5s it isn't enough. Trust me. MANY of us on the old original A5OG had this problem with Crossfire tanks. CO2 we'd shoot fine, Throw the Crossfire on and you can't get past 240-250 fps. I coudln't break 220 fps, even with a red mad man spring and a shim behind my RVA. I ended up having to go LP kit to fix it, and that just didn't work out well either, but at least i could shoot up to speed.

Many people sent their tanks back to Crossfire to add a shim and raise the output to 850 psi, they did it for free for them. Fixed thier issues. Should fix yours too.

No idea why it happens, as 800 psi is 800 psi to me, but it is all in the expansion of the gas, co2 expands faster.

"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#6 User is offline   The Bear 

• The Bear
  • PipPip

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:51 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.
This A5 is almost brand new so the spring shouldn't be weakening yet. Also I haven't "polished" the internals but I have removed the overspray. Hammer fits ok, but I'll strip her down and check it all out again to be sure. I'll also check my remote but haven't had an issue on other markers with it.
It does sound like either the power tube or my tank is the culprit, I'll try swapping tubes out and see and if not I guess I'll be looking to get my reg shimmed or just get a new reg for the tank. I think I'll try to find a way to get a gauge at least temporarily in the air system to measure incoming pressure.
While we're on the tank subject, I'm looking to get a second one to run in parallel with the Crossfire for more volume. As a heavy rifleman 88ci, even at 4500 just isn't cutting it with a Tippmann. Any recomendations? Was thinking of going with another Crossfire, I've had great luck with the one I have other than this issue with the A5. Looking to have the same size and pressure, plus get as close to the same output pressure as possible.
I might be able to get to the field this weekend, if so I'll experiment and see if I can provide any other info to you.

Thanks again
Bear
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 June 2010 - 07:14 AM

Since you've had it completely broken down, you may have switched the springs. Make sure you don't have the cocking handle spring behind the bolt & vise-versa. Not saying that is it, but just make sure.

My cousin had velocity issues w/ his red-hot power tube, that could very well be it.
ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#8 User is offline   Lord Odin 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:11 AM

You could try bypassing your remote line altogether by screwing your tank directly into the tombstone.

Another idea would be to (barely) loosen your receiver screws. If the receivers were out of tolerance, they could create a tighter than usual fit.

View PostLegato, on Jun 24 2010, 12:24 AM, said:

It's your crossfire tank. It is only outputting 800 PSI. While that would be fine for CO2, with HPA on A5s it isn't enough. Trust me. MANY of us on the old original A5OG had this problem with Crossfire tanks. CO2 we'd shoot fine, Throw the Crossfire on and you can't get past 240-250 fps. I coudln't break 220 fps, even with a red mad man spring and a shim behind my RVA. I ended up having to go LP kit to fix it, and that just didn't work out well either, but at least i could shoot up to speed.

Many people sent their tanks back to Crossfire to add a shim and raise the output to 850 psi, they did it for free for them. Fixed thier issues. Should fix yours too.

No idea why it happens, as 800 psi is 800 psi to me, but it is all in the expansion of the gas, co2 expands faster.

Can't say I completely agree with that because I also happen to have a 15 yr old Crossfire tank and have never had an issue with it. Like I mentioned before, anything over 650 psi is enough for most A5's because anything above that and a person needs the FVA to slow it down. HPA is never a problem for Tippmann's. Unless, of course, there are other problems slowing it down, such as a bad regulator on the tank but the air is fine to use.

View Postger, on Jun 24 2010, 09:14 AM, said:

Since you've had it completely broken down, you may have switched the springs. Make sure you don't have the cocking handle spring behind the bolt & vise-versa. Not saying that is it, but just make sure.
Good idea, that happens quite a bit.

#9 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:21 AM

I too have seen exacly what Legs is talking about. Both with a team mate and personally.

The simple fix was changing tanks. For me the tank in question that created the drop in speed was an ACI Bulldog. After seeing the same situation on another gun I replaced the regulator with an early Guerilla Air Assualt and never had the trouble again.
My team mate sold his Crossy and went with a whole new tank...also solved the problem.

#10 User is offline   chasbronson 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:chasbronson

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:20 PM

Speaking of tanks..We had gotten a batch for our rentals that the bonnets were not screwed down tight.We loosened the set screws and got at least one full turn on them.Worth double checking while your looking.

#11 User is offline   The Bear 

• The Bear
  • PipPip

Posted 27 June 2010 - 04:09 PM

Thanks for all the replies! :P

Went down to the field today, I set up my marker as usual and put my Crossfire HPA on the remote and chronoed at 215fps. While still at the station I just swapped the HPA tank out for a CO2 tank without changing a thing and chronoed at 304. About 90fps difference just by swapping tanks, no adjustment to the velocity on the marker was done. So it looks like the tank output pressure is the issue here. I guess it's time to look at a different regulator and see if I can get a higher output pressure. I don't want to go back to CO2 for several reasons so anyone have suggestions for a good high-output reg to for a Crossfire 88/45?

Bear
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 User is offline   stinkfingr 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 June 2010 - 04:30 PM

its probably the tank

:P

#13 User is offline   The Bear 

• The Bear
  • PipPip

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:59 PM

First thank for all the replies, I have an update for you guys and maybe we can narrow down the issues. I bought a pressure guage and put it at the end of my remote so it was measuring the pressure right before it enters the marker. My tank was outputting just above 800psi. I also tested two other HPA tanks and they were within 50-100psi of mine. One belongs to a friend and he says he hasn't had any issues with his A5. My CO2 tank measured about 950psi, and I was able to get 300+fps velocities from it. So basically my tank it fine, but with HPA I'm not getting enough pressure to operate my marker at 280fps.
Going to CO2 isn't really much of an option for me as I've really had issues and hassles with getting tanks filled at scenario games, Skirmish in particular only has the one fill station about 1/2-3/4 mile from insertion and as it's the only one the lines aren't much fun either. So I'm really aiming to stick with HPA out of convenience, so now I'm looking for ideas to increase fps with my current air tank. Polishing the internals has been suggested, so I think I'll start there. I've heard of other things such as lightening the hammer and shimming springs and such things, so if anyone has done these or knows that they work, I'd love to hear from you. Thanks again guys!

Bear
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 User is offline   Lord Odin 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 14 July 2010 - 08:38 PM

Definitely don't lighten the hammer. That will actually lower your velocity and quite considerably because less mass is striking the valve pin, which results in lower volume of air being expelled.

The only two springs available that are stiffer than stock are the Maddmann red spring and TechT spring (which you usually have to ask for). Even then, its not a major increase in velocity.

How old is your A5? Does your valve have 4 channels or 2? If its 2, then you have the older style valve and can get a free replacement from Tippmann for the newer, X7 valve.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users