• You cannot reply to this topic

Shims? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Voodoo Child 

• Voodoo Child the Prophet of Battle
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Voodoo Child

Posted 16 November 2009 - 07:04 PM

Ok Im looking at getting a 90/4500 nitro tank from Ninja Paintball. I shoot a highly modded A-5 that doesnt have a low pressure kit on it. I was reading about the tank and it was talking about how you can adjust the tank pressure. #1 what does that mean. #2 Why would I want to do that? #3 Do I have to do it to make my A-5 more efficient on gas? God I feel like such a noob. Could someone help?

Hooah,
-V-

#2 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 16 November 2009 - 07:09 PM

They're talking about the output pressure of the tank. You need around 800 psi. Some markers like older Angels need low pressure.

#3 User is offline   Piller 

• Piller
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Piller

Posted 16 November 2009 - 08:53 PM

Some tanks (not many these days) have an adjustable regulator on them. Basically, your air tank is filled to 3000-4500psi depending on the tank/fill. That is wayyy too high for the marker to handle, so there is a regulator on top that brings the pressure down before it goes into the marker. The vast majority of markers will accept a high pressure input (~800psi). This includes your A-5. Your tank will have no bearing on the efficiency of your marker. A lower pressure marker will be able to dip a bit further into the tank before the tank pressure drops too low, but that's out of your control. The best thing you can do for efficiency on any Tippmann is to use a spring kit and efficient barrel.

Most tanks are non-adjustable, and sold in either High Pressure or Low Pressure form. Older non-self-regulating electros like Angels require low pressure input or the seals will blow. High pressure tanks are much more versatile and will work on pretty much everything else - including your Tippmann. Today, pretty much all low pressure markers have a regulator as part of the design that can accept either high or low pressure tanks - some get slightly better consistency from a low pressure tank. Ultimately, If you're given the choice between the two, choose high pressure unless you specifically need low pressure.
Automaggot #123 - Pump User #152 - ICE Epic Owner
"Marketing hype in paintball?! The nerve of some people. After all, we paintballers would never throw our hard earned cash into the magic box of marketing hype."

#4 User is offline   Voodoo Child 

• Voodoo Child the Prophet of Battle
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Voodoo Child

Posted 17 November 2009 - 01:17 PM

Thanks alot for the answers. I was scratching my head there for a bit. I guess this old dog can learn new tricks. The info really helped and its very much appreciated.

Hooah,
-V-

#5 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 17 November 2009 - 01:48 PM

Shim stack in a reg. Called Belleville Springs.
Posted Image

One Belleville spring (shim)
Posted Image

They get stacked like )()()()()(. Take one out an you decrease the output pressure of the tank. ie 800 psi - 740 psi. PMI sells a shim kit to convert a hpa reg to lpa. Some adjustable regs allow you to remove a couple of shims to adjust output. Adding shims increase output.

#6 User is offline   Flippy the Wonder Bunny 

• My E-MAN PART is bigger than yours
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 November 2009 - 03:53 PM

I've always wondered how that works. Thanks for the explanation. ;)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users