• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Building a Cannon Have a few questions. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Tippy 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 March 2005 - 08:54 PM

hey everyone! I have a cannon i am testing out, i made it. It is made out of PVC pipe, i am useing hairspray and any other spray that will explode in the chamber. Im looking at the left over pipe im useing and it says NON PRESSURE ONLY could this be a prob? ive fired this thing about 50 times and it seems ok, on a diff website they said that they build theres out of ABS PVC pipe, what is this?? O and what other good sprays are there to use when fireing one of these things? The hairspray gets a little sticky and turns into a liquid to fast at times.

Thanks alot everyone!!!

#2 User is offline   oxiclean 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:OXICLEAN

Posted 03 March 2005 - 09:10 PM

well if i were u i wouldnt use anything that exploded. LOL if i tried it i would die or sumthin.

"In the end only the fittest survive in this world. If your strong you live, If your weak you die."

#3 User is offline   Scooter 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 03 March 2005 - 09:40 PM

Tippy, on Mar 3 2005, 08:54 PM, said:

hey everyone! I have a cannon i am testing out, i made it. It is made out of PVC pipe, i am useing hairspray and any other spray that will explode in the chamber. Im looking at the left over pipe im useing and it says NON PRESSURE ONLY could this be a prob? ive fired this thing about 50 times and it seems ok, on a diff website they said that they build theres out of ABS PVC pipe, what is this?? O and what other good sprays are there to use when fireing one of these things? The hairspray gets a little sticky and turns into a liquid to fast at times.

Thanks alot everyone!!!

this is what worries me, you may have tested and used it a thousand times, but the pipe isn't pressure rated unless it say so on the outside, you NEED to get at least schedule 40 pipe, or better yet schedule 80! the unrated pipe is just for transfering well, unpressurized things. when they produce it air is whipped into it making it light, but not STRONG! ABS is just another type of plastic that is used in pumbing and generally isn't pressure rated either. as far as proppellent goes? Right gaurd, no gasoline, accetylne/oxygen, or anything hugley flammible. BE CAREFULL, they are fun, but dangerous if used incorectly and produced in the wrong way.

#4 Guest_wolftalon_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 04 March 2005 - 09:40 AM

abs is the black plumbing pipe.

pvc is the white pipe. its stronger and stiffer. Abs tends to warp with heat.

#5 User is offline   robster 

• I still shoot people after I got out of the Army and u can 2
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:robster

Posted 04 March 2005 - 10:45 AM

OK - This is what I know about launchers,

I have made quiet a few. Everything from Propaint powred to Air. Air is more constant. If you want to make the cannon shoot safer and more constant use air. And please do not use PVC I have seen it explode. PVC should never be put under any ammount of pressure. If you must use anything use at least 80. not 40 . I use pipe steel. Sure its heavy but i never going to worry about it rupturing on me. Email and I'll ehow you some pictures of mine -Rob

#6 User is offline   Tippy 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 04 March 2005 - 08:12 PM

Thanks alot for all the advice and input! I took youre guys advice and got some new PVC pipe, rated for 220 PSI!! I built a whole new cannon today, im letting it dry and tom. i will shoot it. I love this one i built, i made it so you could interchange the barrel, and it has a handle with the ignition switch on it. the back chamber it 18" long and the barrle is around 3 1/2 feet long. The chamber is smaller than my last one and the barrel is longer than my last one also, so this should be very intresting tommorow testing it out.

Thanks, Tippy~

#7 User is offline   Tippy 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 06 March 2005 - 12:24 PM

Ok, i got it built and shot it all yesterday. From 12-6 LOL i love this thing!! here is my results that i think are GREAT!

I use a secret mixture for the explosion in the back chamber, this gives me the best results i have found yet. But have only been useing Airasal (the stuff that makes the air smell good LOL) after i ran out of the other suff and ive got GREAT RESULTS!

OK, shooting at roufly a 45* angle ive got exactaly 377 feet! Thats 126 yards!! OVER A FOOTBALL FIELD LONG. The farthes i have got is right around 400 feet! Thats almost 134 yards!! Not even useing Compressed air or anything! I think thats crazzy far. I used a baseball and shot it, it went Im guessing around 410-430ish feet! I couldnt find it : ( It went to far and i lost it : (.

pretty good eh?

Tippy~

#8 Guest_Bad Brugs_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 06 March 2005 - 03:26 PM

my grandpa has one and he made it out of schedule 80 pvc pipe and it works fine

#9 User is offline   SnipingBear 

• PyschoFlankerBear
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:SnipingBear

Posted 07 March 2005 - 01:54 PM

you should use just a tiny bit of carb cleaner in it and itll launch excellent. what are you using to light it. My cousin has one and he made a knob that you twist to create a spark. His launched a potatoe about 100ft or so with only a light spray of hairspray.

#10 User is offline   Tippy 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 07 March 2005 - 06:10 PM

humm a 100ft?? thats not very far LOL. What i did is screwed 2 screws into the chamber and rapped wires from a BBQ Grill ignighter around the heads of them that are sticking out of the pipe on the ouside of the chamber. Put the to screw ends about 1/4" away from one-another inside the chamber and it makes a nice powerfull spark. Then i made a handle and put the ignighter in the handle. This whole cannon, to get all the parts and build it, took around 3-4 hours.

If ya got anymore questions just post or shoot an e-mail.

Tippy~

#11 User is offline   Pirate 

• I aim to misbehave.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PirateCaptain

Posted 08 March 2005 - 06:33 PM

White Rain hairspray. I use that in my potato launcher, just a quick spray gives you enough power to shoot it (about) 100 feet, haven't tried much more (don't have the room to...)

However, those grill ignitors will die if used a lot.
My job is to be an asshole. I excel at the position.
We put our glass to the sky and lift up. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya. So raise a pint for the people that aren't with us. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya...
Austin Michelle Cloyd, Forever in my heart. We love you, Ayesha! Rest in Peace Tyler Hackett
Rest in Peace, Dave Brockie! Cam Cam #83

#12 User is offline   Tippy 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 08 March 2005 - 08:59 PM

oooooo, ic...yeah room is hard to come by when u need it LOL. Im lucky, i have tonz of huge fields to shoot it off in. And no big deal if the igniter goes out, ill just get another and put it on LOL.

Tippy~

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users