Special Ops Paintball: Installing a Myth Reg on HPA Tank - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Installing a Myth Reg on HPA Tank I want to do it right & Safe! Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Shadowjackal 

• Accuracy through Volume of Fire!
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Shadowjackal

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:12 AM

I am installing a new Myth regulator on my 68/4500 Pure Energy Stubby tank. i am familiar with changing out valves on CO2 tanks; HPA, not so much... How do I tighten this thing down w/o hurting it? This Myth reg has no place to fit a wrench of any kind. Do I use Loc-Tite? I need some advice please. I would like to use this tank this weekend. I appreciate any help.
Blessed be the LORD my Rock, Who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle. My lovingkindness and my fortress, My high tower and my deliverer, my shield and the ONE in whom I take refuge!

Automags: Because only the best will do!

#2 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:51 AM

That's the only problem w/ how small the Myth is, too small for a good grip :). Some manufacturers just call for their regs to be hand tight, usually a wrench of some kind is used to remove it, not for install. GA doesn't say on their site whether to use a wrench or just hand, or anything about how to install them yourself, at least not that I could find. Maybe installing your own reg is frowned upon.

While not necessary, Blue Loctite can be used, but not Red. Again, this is a manufacturer spec. If you use a wrench, you may want to remove the gauge & fill nipple to give you a surface to grab - just remember to put them back in the same ports, they are not interchangeable. But, in reality... strap wrench ftw.

We really should have a "How-To" pinned in here. Someone really smart on here has probably done dozens of them & should do a nice write up.

EDIT: :rolleyes: You know it's funny, I was actually thinking of Krazy when I wrote that last line but didn't remember him actually writing a how-to. But he did here: LINK. It's really more about removing a reg, but can be used in reverse.

This post has been edited by ger: 14 December 2010 - 08:56 AM

ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#3 User is offline   Benaiah 

• If you dont get it, youre Sofa Kingdom
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Benaiah2320

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:03 AM

strap-wrench is your best bet. you can use it for gun regs, threaded feednecks, and just about anything else you want to take off without scratching it.
2 Samuel 22

#4 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:23 AM

Do you ever plan on flying with your paintball gear?

If so...hand tighten the reg to the tank. There is no need to worry about it coming lose once air pressure is added to the system. The pressure will keep it from turning loose. You will need to be carful when the tank is low on air though as the pressure will be low enough to allow you to remove the reg while trying to loosen the tank from the ASA.
Hnad tight will allow you to remove the reg prior to flight so the TSA agents may inspect the inside of the tank. If you do not remove the regulator, there is a chance they will confiscate the tank from your baggage.

I fly regularly with my gear. All of the HPA tanks in my house have the reg hand tight on them.

If no to flying...then do as mentioned and use a rubber strap wrench to tighten and a good thread locker that is not permanent.

This post has been edited by Krazy8: 14 December 2010 - 09:29 AM
Reason for edit: Ger...your thinking about me while typing is quaint, and a bit odd

#5 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:53 AM

Right, like you don't think of me when you type...

... you do, don't you?

:dodgy:
ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#6 User is offline   Shadowjackal 

• Accuracy through Volume of Fire!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Shadowjackal

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:00 PM

Thank you all very much! I think I will hand tighten with some Blue Loc-Tite!
Blessed be the LORD my Rock, Who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle. My lovingkindness and my fortress, My high tower and my deliverer, my shield and the ONE in whom I take refuge!

Automags: Because only the best will do!

#7 User is offline   splntercell 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:splntercell

Posted 05 January 2011 - 04:43 PM

A little late but you can make a reg rig out of a piece of 1 inch or 1 1/4 inch steel pipe. Take a 6 inch piece of pipe and make notches in one end for the reg, fill nipple, and burst discs. clamp the pipe in a vise with the notches facing up, invert your tank and insert the reg aligning the notches with the parts of the reg.

#8 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 05 January 2011 - 04:46 PM

splntercell, on 05 January 2011 - 04:43 PM, said:

A little late but you can make a reg rig out of a piece of 1 inch or 1 1/4 inch steel pipe. Take a 6 inch piece of pipe and make notches in one end for the reg, fill nipple, and burst discs. clamp the pipe in a vise with the notches facing up, invert your tank and insert the reg aligning the notches with the parts of the reg.

Umm source? Doesn't sound that safe... not all steel is created equal, for one.

#9 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:09 PM

Steel tend to mar the surfaces on the reg. Every reg tool I have seen has been made from PVC or acrylic.

#10 User is offline   splntercell 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:splntercell

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:50 PM

I have used it on multiple tanks and i learned the trick from an airsmith that has been in the industry since the early days. The reg doesn't actually make contact with the steel The only contact points are the reg, fill nipple, and bust discs. Guess you could make it from acrylic or pvc, not sure if pvc would hold up if the reg was really stuck on though. You could rubber coat the end of the pipe if your concerned about marring the reg.

#11 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:56 PM

Ok totally misunderstood for a sec there lol I thought you wanted something to screw a reg into if it for some reason wouldn't fit the tank, I guess like a tank to regulator adaptor and I was like huh??? Lol maybe I should go back and read again for I post next time (I had read the first few posts before but not this time).

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users