• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Help With Electric Guitar Bought a fender for my son. . . Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   No Quarter 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Northwest Brigade ( Idaho )

Posted 25 October 2008 - 10:16 AM

Anyone out there play a guitar? I don't know anything about them, but I got a good deal on a used Fender with amp I'm planning on giving as a Christmas present for my little boy. I think it's some kind of starters package. This is it right here: Guitar package

Anyway I plugged it in to the amp to make sure it all worked, but I was surprised to hear it sounding like a normal acoustic guitar through the speaker. What I mean is, I guess I was expecting to hear that heavy metal "wha wha wha" whining sound that I have always associated with an electric guitar.

I know that the pros out there customize their instruments to get the sound they want out of them. Is there anything I need to do to this thing for that sound I'm looking for?
IPB Image

#2 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 25 October 2008 - 10:28 AM

You use an effects peddle: peddle link

Video

#3 User is offline   Big Tasty 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Big Tasty

Posted 25 October 2008 - 10:58 AM

What you are looking for is called either distortion or overdrive. Some of the amplifiers that come with the starter packages have a distortion effect built in, some do not. Can you PM me what the knobs and buttons on the front of the amplifier say? If in fact the amplifier does not have a distortion effect built in, then I could recommend a dozen different pedals to achieve this effect. Prices range from $20 to several thousand dollars depending on the pedal. Depending on the style of music your son listens to it may or may not be necessary, but based on your preconceptions of what the guitar should sound that then I would assume that you and your son listen to some form of rock or other blues-based music.

I owe my whole life to my parents buying me a keyboard and my brother a guitar when we turned 7 and 9 respectively. I picked up my brothers guitar and have been playing for about 17 years now. Check out the last artist I produced to hear me play

www.myspace.com/elisamelendez

Peace,
Evan

#4 User is offline   CB103 

• Teach the Controversy
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cb103

Posted 25 October 2008 - 10:59 AM

You can also try just turning up the gain/fiddling with the other settings, although depending on the amp this may also mean playing louder. Some amps are more adjustable than others.
"You must be mad," said the Cheshire Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."
Official Spec Ops Pump Users #25

#5 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 25 October 2008 - 11:19 AM

Big Tasty your guitar style reminds me of Triumph.

#6 User is offline   SabreUK 

• Lounge Monkey
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Who cares?

Posted 25 October 2008 - 01:38 PM

I think you can change the gain/overdrive/distortion on most amps, and possibly on the guitar. I've never played a real fender but I can change it on both my remakes.

#7 User is offline   Iron Maiden 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Iron Maiden

Posted 25 October 2008 - 03:03 PM

My amp had 1 switch that turned on and off the overdrive. It's a fender squier sidekick, and recently I just bought a foot pedal from Danelectro, it was the metal one model. here's the page and you can hear what each one sounds like. http://www.coolcattone.com/

This post has been edited by Iron Maiden: 25 October 2008 - 03:04 PM

I'm back, and this time for good.

#8 User is offline   No Quarter 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 25 October 2008 - 04:28 PM

View PostIron Maiden, on Oct 25 2008, 04:03 PM, said:

My amp had 1 switch that turned on and off the overdrive. It's a fender squier sidekick, and recently I just bought a foot pedal from Danelectro, it was the metal one model. here's the page and you can hear what each one sounds like. http://www.coolcattone.com/

Thanks for the Website. that's a good one. I love the sound on most of those pedals. Only hard part would be which one? I like the Metal and Metal II pedals. Plus the one called "Distortion" sounded cool like Southern Rock. . . Georgia Satellites, Molly Hatchet, Lyndard Skynard, etc.

and good affordable prices too!
IPB Image

#9 User is offline   junckie25 

• Junckie25
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Junckie25

Posted 25 October 2008 - 05:56 PM

There is usually a button on the amp that says 'grind', press that and try it again.
Smile.... tomorrow will be worse.

#10 User is offline   C0N0R 

• whose the guy who horked our clothes eh?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mad Sabre

Posted 25 October 2008 - 11:15 PM

usually you should have a gain or overdrive that you can switch on or off. i would be shocked if a started amp didnt have any sort of distortion with it
SO's own Guitar player/luthier (builder), ask me any questions about guitars or guitar building.
brownie points-15
Gear- Jackson DX10D with OFR, Tremol-no, and concentric pots. Schecter omen 6 with... wait.. wrong forum..
Hope you plan on keeping it, resale on big pickups is dropping faster than your mom's skirt-aqua__scummm

#11 User is offline   No Quarter 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 26 October 2008 - 04:29 PM

It has an O.D. switch, but didn't seem to make much of a difference. Kind of a noisier more hollow sound, but not what I'm really after.
IPB Image

#12 User is offline   C0N0R 

• whose the guy who horked our clothes eh?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mad Sabre

Posted 26 October 2008 - 04:37 PM

does the guitar have a three way switch to switch between the pickups? try flipping that switch in different directions for different sounds.
SO's own Guitar player/luthier (builder), ask me any questions about guitars or guitar building.
brownie points-15
Gear- Jackson DX10D with OFR, Tremol-no, and concentric pots. Schecter omen 6 with... wait.. wrong forum..
Hope you plan on keeping it, resale on big pickups is dropping faster than your mom's skirt-aqua__scummm

#13 User is offline   Tora 

• Yes, that is Barney. My Barney. No you can't have him.
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 October 2008 - 05:02 PM

View PostNo Quarter, on Oct 26 2008, 07:29 PM, said:

It has an O.D. switch, but didn't seem to make much of a difference. Kind of a noisier more hollow sound, but not what I'm really after.

O.D is the overdrive. turn the gain knob up to get a more distorted tone
FEEDBACK

My momma raised me the be SHAMELESS!

#14 User is offline   Ace-014 

• Back From Life (FCSN)
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ace-014

Posted 26 October 2008 - 07:07 PM

View PostNo Quarter, on Oct 25 2008, 12:16 PM, said:

Anyone out there play a guitar? I don't know anything about them, but I got a good deal on a used Fender with amp I'm planning on giving as a Christmas present for my little boy. I think it's some kind of starters package. This is it right here: Guitar package

Anyway I plugged it in to the amp to make sure it all worked, but I was surprised to hear it sounding like a normal acoustic guitar through the speaker. What I mean is, I guess I was expecting to hear that heavy metal "wha wha wha" whining sound that I have always associated with an electric guitar.

I know that the pros out there customize their instruments to get the sound they want out of them. Is there anything I need to do to this thing for that sound I'm looking for?

See if there is a knob that says "Gain" on it. Try turning that up to get the more "Metal-er" sound.
Official SpecOps FC

#15 User is offline   Ace-014 

• Back From Life (FCSN)
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ace-014

Posted 26 October 2008 - 07:12 PM

View PostC0N0R, on Oct 26 2008, 06:37 PM, said:

does the guitar have a three way switch to switch between the pickups? try flipping that switch in different directions for different sounds.

That changes from "Lead" to "Rythym" to in the middle though. Doesn't do much to the distortion unless you've got distortion on already.
Official SpecOps FC

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users