• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

AGD RT custom vs anything else title Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Locknpump 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 March 2011 - 05:30 PM

I love the agd rt for many reasons, feedback on it is great, my question is that is there another marker in the 500-600 price range that outperforms it and would be a much better buy? Im just curious, thank you!

#2 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 06 March 2011 - 06:00 PM

Well, I imagine that many electros (particularly used) could "outperform" the Automag (paticularly in efficiency as they run at much lower operating pressures)... but keep in mind the Automag's technology is almost 20 years old.

And it STILL does nearly as well - with NO electronics. For example, if tuned properly, the bolt (in theory) CAN'T chop a ball - it doesn't rely on eyes. Always freaks people out when I put my finger in there and fire :P

If anything, Mags are well known for needing little tuning (other than Level 10 occasionally) and for being impossible to stop. Thinking of electros, if a little dirt or paint gets on your eyes... well enjoy cleaning it off. Also, Mags are ridiculously simple... the valve itself is basically all there is to it.

And this is from an Automag Novice - I took it out for the first time in -13C with NO issues... ULT or RT. Except for how much paint I fired xD

The other good bit is the "cred" you get with the older players - the few that recognize it give you a thumbs up, all the newer kids wonder what the heck it is or mock you... until you mow them with it.

In the end, its personal preference... but to me, I'd rather have a little more indivduality compared to all the people with Minis and Egos. I haven't even SEEN a Sheridan, and I have a PGP and a Super Stocker on the way. I've seen 2 other people with Phantoms.

#3 User is offline   chinstrap 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:kl0wn

Posted 06 March 2011 - 06:21 PM

View PostLocknpump, on 06 March 2011 - 07:30 PM, said:

I love the agd rt for many reasons, feedback on it is great, my question is that is there another marker in the 500-600 price range that outperforms it and would be a much better buy? Im just curious, thank you!

Yes.

And no.

Outperform how?

You're talking apples and oranges when comparing with electronic markers and the only other high-end mechanical that I'm aware of is the Blazer, which you could get a stripped-down version of in that price range (new, mind you). However, the Blazer doesn't hold a candle to anything with an Emag/RT/X valve in terms of speed (as far as I'm aware; someone feel free to jump in here and tell me if I'm wrong and the Blazer has some kind of trigger-lightening mod).

As far as comparing to an electronic marker, the the RT on the 'mag gives you tactile feedback via the trigger; it's difficult to explain, but there's more feeling behind it than just having a microswitch, circuit board and battery.

I bought a Tac One back in 2006 brand new from AGD and would never think of getting rid of it. The efficiency isn't as good as modern electronic markers, but I also go through less paint with it, so it balances. I had it outfitted with some Emag lowers last summer (complete overkill) and played with an Ego6 while it was away. I like the 'mag much better, even if it weighs a pound or two more.

If I had to liquidate my marker collection, I'd sell everything and the electronics on the Tac One and just run it as mechanical, but I would never sell all of it. Hopefully that gives you an idea of whether you'd be satisfied with your purchase.

Just take the plunge.

Get a good loader for it too (I'm a huge Rotor fan; its tiny profile, no maintenance and tool-less disassembly work well with the Automag's).

Oh, and I've turned the ROF up to 31 BPS and the Level 10 still prevents chopping (the electronics don't like to go above 20 BPS for some reason). Granted there's still soup in the barrel from the chuffed balls colliding, but you can squeegee that out.

This post has been edited by chinstrap: 06 March 2011 - 06:23 PM

Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Locknpump 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 06 March 2011 - 06:38 PM

yea I am planning on getting a high end loader and tank (ninja custom 1200psi output for the RT) I just didn't know if there was another marker that stood out in comparison against the RT's reliability, speed, and overall feel.

#5 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:51 PM

I agree - the trigger bounce feels great.

#6 User is offline   LoveMyMagMoreThanYou 

• CPPA #1875
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Undying

Posted 07 March 2011 - 02:16 PM

As the proud owner of a classic Automag for 15 years, I will say that NOTHING beats the reliability and longevity of an Automag. My 'Mag shoots like the day I got it. The only thing that wears out on a 'Mag are easily replaceable O-rings. The Automag is the fastest shooting mechanical that I know of and the electronic versions can still produce ropes that compete with modern electros. If you are looking for a marker that will outlast you, then get a 'Mag. BTW, I love how the 'Mag shoots. There's hardly any kick and because of the blow forward cycling system you never get that "full auto" mess that blow backs have.

#7 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 07 March 2011 - 02:30 PM

As a huge mag fan, I will actually take the opposite side, just to add a different opinion.

There are plenty of markers in the price range which will be lighter, more efficient, come stock with better parts, and generally give the mag a good run.

FEP Quest, basically genius in almost every aspect, not made anymore but right now there is a pre-order for a new run of these things. they are a 700$ electro with a 450$ price tag.

MacDev Droid - can be found for about 500$, they are the inline poppit which make's spool valves cry to think of the efficiency they could have.

those would be my top two picks.

#8 User is offline   chinstrap 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 07 March 2011 - 02:30 PM

View PostLocknpump, on 06 March 2011 - 08:38 PM, said:

yea I am planning on getting a high end loader and tank (ninja custom 1200psi output for the RT) I just didn't know if there was another marker that stood out in comparison against the RT's reliability, speed, and overall feel.

Reliability, yes, speed and overall feel, no. For a mechanical, that is. The only thing it beats everything out on across the board, electronic and mechanical, is feel. I've never found anything else like it.

I would suggest grabbing a ULE trigger kit so you can convert to straight semi if you need to.

View Postcdrinkh20, on 07 March 2011 - 12:51 AM, said:

You should try an Emag in hybrid mode; it RTs and you can sweetspot, but there's almost no resistance (just a little from the magnet). Even in semi, it's just crazy. You can also cap the rate of fire to tone down the craziness.
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 March 2011 - 02:56 PM

View PostLoveMyMagMoreThanYou, on 07 March 2011 - 04:16 PM, said:

I will say that NOTHING beats the reliability and longevity of an Automag.
QFT

I had been running an A-5 for years but picked up a used classic mag last year sometime as a backup. It quickly became my primary after buying some extra parts I purchased to get it setup the way I wanted. Then from the various pieces & parts of the first one I built a second & it became my backup. They both just work... all the time. They are, however, about to see backup duty as I purchased a new (to me) electro recently. But no matter what, I'll always have an Automag as a part of my gear until the day I stop playing, because I know it's just going to work.
ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#10 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 March 2011 - 03:00 PM

View Postchinstrap, on 07 March 2011 - 02:30 PM, said:

You should try an Emag in hybrid mode; it RTs and you can sweetspot, but there's almost no resistance (just a little from the magnet). Even in semi, it's just crazy. You can also cap the rate of fire to tone down the craziness.

It'd be cool to try, but I think I'll be quite happy with just one semi - the only time I didn't enjoy my pump more was a big game, and only because people just sprayed through the bush till I got hit... which sucks, cause what can you do? E.g., when there is only one point to hold in the whole game and you have to come down a hill through bush into a clearing which they spawn much closer to...

It was "helicopter" we had to jump in, but they literally just had 60 people waiting 20 feet back around a corner and had the clearing surrounded before we could even run there... it all turned around for the next round but it's no fun just covering one objective... and nobody wanted to go cause havoc behind enemy lines with me :( lol

So, it'll be around for games like that... or if I decide to play with the Longbow/Qbow during rec (but I've got 2 pumps on the way now, lol). I was horrified at how much paint I shot just with the ULT my first time out (a hopper at a time in the winter!).

This post has been edited by cdrinkh20: 07 March 2011 - 03:01 PM

#11 User is offline   chinstrap 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:09 PM

View Postcdrinkh20, on 07 March 2011 - 05:00 PM, said:

View Postchinstrap, on 07 March 2011 - 02:30 PM, said:

It'd be cool to try, but I think I'll be quite happy with just one semi - the only time I didn't enjoy my pump more was a big game, and only because people just sprayed through the bush till I got hit... which sucks, cause what can you do? E.g., when there is only one point to hold in the whole game and you have to come down a hill through bush into a clearing which they spawn much closer to...

It was "helicopter" we had to jump in, but they literally just had 60 people waiting 20 feet back around a corner and had the clearing surrounded before we could even run there... it all turned around for the next round but it's no fun just covering one objective... and nobody wanted to go cause havoc behind enemy lines with me :( lol

So, it'll be around for games like that... or if I decide to play with the Longbow/Qbow during rec (but I've got 2 pumps on the way now, lol). I was horrified at how much paint I shot just with the ULT my first time out (a hopper at a time in the winter!).

See, that's the main reason for the Emag lowers right there. I keep it on mechanical and one-ball until something like that happens, if I get mobbed or need to do some bushwhacking, then I pull the pin and let 'er rip. The 90/45 on-gun and 9 pods on the back help facilitate the carnage (it works out to about 3/4 of a case with the 'mag).

I picked up one o' them new Empire Trracers for when I go broke doing this.
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users